Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best LT in Indianapolis Colts history

I appreciate AC, and wish we still had him, but there is no doubt Tarik Glenn was the best LT to ever suit up for the INDY based Colts. I’d argue that Glenn was a top 5 NFL LT most of the years he played for the shoe (his only team). He got off the ball so fast that sometimes the referees called him for false starts that weren’t even warranted.

Tarik more than has a reason to be bothered by this. Is Irsay holding a grudge about Glenn’s early retirement? Come on Jim. Do the right thing man. This is one of the easiest decisions you could ever make. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/04/tarik-glenn-is-bothered-by-not-being-in-the-colts-ring-of-honor/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I appreciate AC, and wish we still had him, but there is no doubt Tarik Glenn was the best LT for the INDY Colts to ever suit up. I’d argue that Glenn was a top 5 NFL LT most of the years he played for the shoe (his only team). He got off the ball so fast that sometimes the referees called him for false starts that weren’t even warranted.

Tarik more than has a reason to be bothered by this. Is Irsay holding a grudge about Glenn’s early retirement? Come on Jim. Do the right thing man. This is one of the easiest decisions you could ever make. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/04/tarik-glenn-is-bothered-by-not-being-in-the-colts-ring-of-honor/

If irsay is bothered by Glenn’s retirement he for sure is about Lucks and that means no ROH for Luck.

that said, Tarik deserves to be in there no doubt about it

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If irsay is bothered by Glenn’s retirement he for sure is about Lucks and that means no ROH for Luck.

that said, Tarik deserves to be in there no doubt about it

Not to derail the thread, but lately... I just cannot help but think about how Andrew is missing out on the ride of his professional life. He took a beating for some bad Colts teams that he made look like contenders. In comparison, this current Colts team would be Easy Street. I try not to think about it, but he is missing out. I do wish him the best with retired life and I do understand why he left the game. 

My off rant over.... Back to the topic of Tarik Glenn. 

• Sad 1
13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I can't speak for Irsay but I highly doubt he is holding a grudge over Tarik's retirement. 

Maybe it's just the skill players that got the attention? Not surprising, I am sure there are quite a few players that fit the bill. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can't speak for Irsay but I highly doubt he is holding a grudge over Tarik's retirement. 

Maybe it's just the skill players that got the attention? Not surprising, I am sure there are quite a few players that fit the bill. 

I cannot think of anyone not in the Colts ROH that deserves to be there more than Glenn. And it would be a good argument that he deserves it more than some there now. 

In fact, I bet fans of teams we played against during Glenn’s era would even be surprised by this. I would double down the bet that his opponents would be surprised. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I cannot think of anyone not in the Colts ROH that deserves to be there more than Glenn. And it would be a good argument that he deserves it more than some there now. 

In fact, I bet fans of teams we played against during Glenn’s era would even be surprised by this. I would double down the bet that his opponents would be surprised. 

Not trying to be argumentative but I doubt that the players from other teams give it much thought or even care who is and who's not in the Colts ROH. 

Hmm, I had to look at the ring of honor list to see exactly who is in there.

I'm not against putting Tarik in, but most of them do have more awards and records than he does.  Jim Harbaugh had one pro bowl but he also got OPOTY and come back player of the year.

Its too bad Tarik is upset by this, seems like he would be in by now if they were going to do it.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Not trying to be argumentative but I doubt that the players from other teams give it much thought or even care who is and who's not in the Colts ROH. 

That’s why I said I bet they’d be surprised, as in if someone told them that he wasn’t in the Colts ROH. 

I agree, Tarik Glenn deserves to be in the ROH for our Colts.  I also do NOT believe that Andrew Luck deserves such accolades.  For as good as Andrew was, for what he put himself through to help the Colts win, for the lack of support that Grigson and Pagano provided, Luck's career falls short of that honor.  Not because he wouldn't have been inducted in that ring at some stage if he had played longer, he simply didn't earn that because of a shortened career.  For whatever reason, his career was shortened and thus failed to rise to the heights of that ring.  

I loved watching that kid play and felt he had what it took to be a NFL Hall of Famer and an Indy ROH member but...the career didn't last, unfortunately.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, joecolts said:

I agree, Tarik Glenn deserves to be in the ROH for our Colts.  I also do NOT believe that Andrew Luck deserves such accolades.  For as good as Andrew was, for what he put himself through to help the Colts win, for the lack of support that Grigson and Pagano provided, Luck's career falls short of that honor.  Not because he wouldn't have been inducted in that ring at some stage if he had played longer, he simply didn't earn that because of a shortened career.  For whatever reason, his career was shortened and thus failed to rise to the heights of that ring.  

I loved watching that kid play and felt he had what it took to be a NFL Hall of Famer and an Indy ROH member but...the career didn't last, unfortunately.

I think that’s a very fair assessment. 

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

there is no doubt Tarik Glenn was the best LT to ever suit up for the INDY based Colts.

Chris Hinton was by FAR the best LT ever for the INDY based Colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

First thing I think about with Tarik Glenn is the song on Bob and Tom when he was playing.

"Oh Tarik Glenn, oh Tarik Glenn

Could you please not false start again"

He was a beast but that is the first thing that pops in my mind. :dunno:

• Haha 2
Just now, Dogg63 said:

I liked Chris Hinton a lot. But I strongly disagree that he was better than Glenn. I don’t even think it was close. That said, I wish we wouldn’t have traded Hinton away. However that has more to do with the trade we got duped into. 

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

First thing I think about woth Tarik Glenn is the song on Bob and Tom when he was playing.

Many of those false starts were unwarranted. The man was so quick off the ball, the refs couldn’t believe that he didn’t jump early. I made it a point to rewatch the games back then and watch his false starts in slow motion. In many of them, he was falsely flagged. He had the quickest feet of a big man that I’ve ever seen. 

9 minutes ago, joecolts said:

Faulk and Harbaugh are in there and they probably did less than Luck.  This one would be tough call for me if I had to make it.  It would probably polarize the fans.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Many of those false starts were unwarranted. The man was so quick off the ball, the refs could believe that he didn’t jump early. I made it a point to rewatch the games back then and watch his false starts in slow motion. In many of them, he was falsely flagged. He had the quickest feet of a big man that I’ve ever seen. 

I wouldn't argue with that notion.

It's still my jam though.

• Like 1
Just now, BlueShoe said:

I liked Chris Hinton a lot. But I strongly disagree that he was better than Glenn. I don’t even think it was close. That said, I wish we wouldn’t have traded Hinton away. However that has more to do with the trade we got duped into. 

Well, Chris was once a HOF semi-finalist, along with seven Pro Bowls and was a five-time All-Pro. Tarik made 2 pro bowls.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Faulk and Harbaugh are in there and they probably did less than Luck.  This one would be tough call for me if I had to make it.  It would probably polarize the fans.

I can't disagree with you.  Tough call to make.  I don't believe Harbaugh should be up there either, personally.  Faulk is also another tough call

• Like 1
Just now, Dogg63 said:

Well, Chris was once a HOF semi-finalist, along with seven Pro Bowls and was a five-time All-Pro. Tarik made 2 pro bowls.

I believe the only reason Glenn is not mentioned as much in the HOF talk, is because he didn’t play long enough. He retired very early. He could have played another 6 plus years, and if he had then he would probably be in the HOF. But that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 1
Just now, BlueShoe said:

I believe the only reason Glenn is not mentioned as much in the HOF talk, is because he didn’t play long enough. He retired very early. He could have played another 6 plus years, and if he had then he would probably be in the HOF. But that’s just my opinion. 

Hinton played 13, Glenn played 10. Not a huge difference.

• Like 1

I think Tarik belongs in the ring. But let's give a shout-out to Wil Wolford too. He was an All Pro. Only played for us for a few seasons but he was a great player.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, joecolts said:

I can't disagree with you.  Tough call to make.  I don't believe Harbaugh should be up there either, personally.  Faulk is also another tough call

Marshal was a great great player.   Manning said he was the smartest football player he ever played with      He deserves to be there    Harbaugh????  Love ya Jim.  but no.  

As far as INDY goes (I dont go back father than that).  The best offensive lineman in Indy Colts HISTORY is Jeff Saturday and the best OT is easily Glenn.  and he should be in HOF.    Saturday is in correct?   Still the stadium is only soooo big.

Pick and choose. I'm Hoping Wentz gets in there some day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, BluesGirl said:

Marshal was a great great player.   Manning said he was the smartest football player he ever played with      He deserves to be there    Harbaugh????  Love ya Jim.  but no.  

As far as INDY goes (I dont go back father than that).  The best offensive lineman in Indy Colts HISTORY is Jeff Saturday and the best OT is easily Glenn.  and he should be in HOF.    Saturday is in correct?   Still the stadium is only soooo big.

Saturday is not in... Its a tough position to get selected I'd assume.

• Like 1

Chris Hinton played LT for us from 1985-1989, made the pro bowl every year in those years and he was 1st team all-pro in 1987. He is listed at 6'4 300 pounds per Wiki as his playing HT/WT. He is the best LT we have ever had IMO. In 1987 Eric Dickerson actually said he was the most important player on the offense when the Colts won the AFC East.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I concur!

If you go all Colts history, no contest, it is by FAR Jim Parker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Parker_(American_football) )

Edit - I didn’t see the others shouting out Jim Parker before me, until after this post.  Gotta love us die hard Colts old timers!

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I concur!

If you go all Colts history, no contest, it is by FAR Jim Parker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Parker_(American_football) )

Edit - I didn’t see the others shouting out Jim Parker before me, until after this post.  Gotta love us die hard Colts old timers!

Yeah all Colts history it is Jim Parker, Indy Colts history, it is Hinton.

6 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

No question about it, Marshall Faulk was an awesome player.  NFL Rookie of the Year as well as Pro Bowl MVP the same year?  That's not something that is accomplished very often and I believe Faulk may have been the first to do it.  He was drafted in 1994 and stayed here until 1998.  Some great seasons wearing our Horseshoe.  Again, no question about that.  He went on to play about 8 more seasons in Saint Louis and won a Super Bowl with the Rams.  My reservation with Marshall is longevity...here.  IMHO, that ROH is for players who have made significant contributions over a period of time for the extended success of the franchise.  Is it possible for someone to come in, play a shorter length of time and be inducted?  I'd say yes if a Lombardi was hoisted because of that significant short-term contribution.  Just my opinion on the subject.  I believe we are on the same page though @BluesGirl.  Tough calls that Irsay and those around him get to make.  Not a bad gig or problem to have though.  Right?

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Not to derail the thread, but lately... I just cannot help but think about how Andrew is missing out on the ride of his professional life. He took a beating for some bad Colts teams that he made look like contenders. In comparison, this current Colts team would be Easy Street. I try not to think about it, but he is missing out. I do wish him the best with retired life and I do understand why he left the game. 

My off rant over.... Back to the topic of Tarik Glenn. 

Whom?

10 hours ago, w87r said:

First thing I think about with Tarik Glenn is the song on Bob and Tom when he was playing.

It would be every single game sometimes two a game .  I remember when him and manning and Saturday fought during the rams game in 05 . Glenn wouldn’t bow down to manning and stuck up for Saturday. 

Indianapolis Colts Starting Left Tackles (from 1984 to 2020)

#1 - Chris Hinton (7x Pro Bowl, 2x First Team, Ring of Honor)

#2 - Tarik Glenn (3x Pro Bowl, Super Bowl Team)

#3 - Wil Woolford (3x Pro Bowl)

#4 - Anthony Costanzo

#5 - Tony Ugoh

#6 - Zefross Moss

#7 - Troy Auzenne

#8 - Charlie Johnson

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Indianapolis Colts Starting Left Tackles (from 1984 to 2020)

#1 - Chris Hinton (7x Pro Bowl, 2x First Team, Ring of Honor)

#2 - Tarik Glenn (3x Pro Bowl, Super Bowl Team)

#3 - Wil Woolford (3x Pro Bowl)

#4 - Anthony Costanzo

#5 - Tony Ugoh

#6 - Zefross Moss

#7 - Troy Auzenne

#8 - Charlie Johnson

I remember a lot of people being excited about Tony Ugoh, man did that go bad lmao 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I remember a lot of people being excited about Tony Ugoh, man did that go bad lmao 

Yup.  When Bill Polian let his son, Chris, start making drafting decisions, one of his first (and worst) was trading their 2008 first round pick to move up in the 2007 2nd round to draft Ugoh.  Three years later, he was gone.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

I would say just going by Indianapolis Colts history that between Jeff Saturday and Chris Hinton it is close regarding all-time overall best O.Lineman. Bob Sanders deserves to be in the ROH, DPOY in 2007 and we don't win the SB without him in 2006.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would say just going by Indianapolis Colts history that between Jeff Saturday and Chris Hinton it is close regarding all-time overall best O.Lineman. Bob Sanders deserves to be in the ROH, DPOY in 2007 and we don't win the SB without him in 2006.

By the time all is done, Q will be top 3 if not best all time for Colts.  What a generational talent.  Imagine if we had Glenn lining up next to Q and Castonzo on the right side.  That would have been incredible - one can dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pro Athletes are a different breed. Worried about accolades for stuff you did 15 years or more ago. Sorry, that's not normal.

Tarik was pretty good, I'm not sure he was terribly special, given that Peyton Manning is going to give the O-line a pretty significant tactical advantage. Tarik wasn't a top 5 reason those teams were good and I think that's probably a part of him being a bit overlooked. History has played that out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1