Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

52 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-broncos-trade-up-for-justin-fields-dolphins-double-up-on-offensive-weaponry/

Yes Ballard passes on Rousseau and Darrisaw to select another slot WR.

I love Elijah Moore but there is no freaking way we take him over those 2!

Apparently they think we will resign Rhodes and sign an OT and a ER in FA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-broncos-trade-up-for-justin-fields-dolphins-double-up-on-offensive-weaponry/

this is possibly the best "slot WR draft" in a decade or more; Ballard knows there will still be some available on Day Two, maybe even Day Three.

If Darrisaw somehow falls to #21 (I doubt it) I suspect Ballard would be all over that pick, maybe even if Rousseau were still there as well. Conversely, if Rousseau were there but Darrisaw gone, I could see CB picking Rousseau and then trying to move up in Round Two to draft an LT like Radunz, Cosmi or Eichenberg.

And if both Rousseau and Darrisaw are gone by #21, I could see Ballard trying to trade down and grab a pair like Eichenberg and Perkins in Round Two. Or Newsome, if he falls to Round Two and Rhodes isn't re-signed.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

this is possibly the best "slot WR draft" in a decade or more; Ballard knows there will still be some available on Day Two, maybe even Day Three.

If Darrisaw somehow falls to #21 (I doubt it) I suspect Ballard would be all over that pick, maybe even if Rousseau were still there as well. Conversely, if Rousseau were there but Darrisaw gone, I could see CB picking Rousseau and then trying to move up in Round Two to draft an LT like Radunz, Cosmi or Eichenberg.

And if both Rousseau and Darrisaw are gone by #21, I could see Ballard trying to trade down and grab a pair like Eichenberg and Perkins in Round Two. Or Newsome, if he falls to Round Two and Rhodes isn't re-signed.

Anytime somebody brings up a bunch a what if scenarios im reminded of this

• Haha 3

First....  I try not to have 100 percent rules.  I try not to use words like “always” and “never”.    Using absolutes will get you into trouble. 

That said, if I am going to draft a WR in the first round I’d like him to have rare or special qualities.   Size AND speed.  Hands AND routes.    I’m fine taking smaller receivers, but I personally prefer them outside the top-50.  Hilton was taken late-3rd.  I think 92nd.  Little receivers can be found later in the draft.  

I love both Moore’s.   Don’t think I love either enough to take them at 21.  Now, Waddle is small.  But he has rare speed and quickness.  Super acceleration and separation.   Plus he’s got great return ability to boot.  He’s the full package.  I don’t see him as top-10 player, but I’d take him 11-32 all day long in any draft. 

There are exceptions to every rule.  But those should only happen few and far between opportunities.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

This is why I dislike most mocks online.  They barely know what the teams need, want, or how they draft.  They just see the next player on their list, think of something nice to say about them, and apply that to the team or the coach.

For this one:  No, Ballard doesn't want or need another yards-after-catch guy.  He already has one in Campbell.  (And is crossing his fingers that the guy actually plays.)  No, Ballard doesn't really like smaller players.  He likes them with size and arm length.  No, Ballard's top priority is not WR.  If there's a quality OT or DE on the board, he'll take him.  No, Ballard normally wouldn't select a WR in the first round anyway.

But does CBS consider any of these things?  No.  Which is why I have ignored draft stuff on their site for the past four years.

• Thanks 4
On 3/5/2021 at 12:36 PM, John Hammonds said:

This is why I dislike most mocks online.  They barely know what the teams need, want, or how they draft.  They just see the next player on their list, think of something nice to say about them, and apply that to the team or the coach.

For this one:  No, Ballard doesn't want or need another yards-after-catch guy.  He already has one in Campbell.  (And is crossing his fingers that the guy actually plays.)  No, Ballard doesn't really like smaller players.  He likes them with size and arm length.  No, Ballard's top priority is not WR.  If there's a quality OT or DE on the board, he'll take him.  No, Ballard normally wouldn't select a WR in the first round anyway.

But does CBS consider any of these things?  No.  Which is why I have ignored draft stuff on their site for the past four years.

Was gonna say did everyone just forget about how good Campbell is underneath?

No to mention, Pittman is about due as well and checks most of the boxes for a solid WR1.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:04 PM, poilucelt said:

All of this is very well thought out and said.  Agree.

All mocks are questionable. That is what they are there for. To make people think, get upset or in another sense.........read it. That is what these writers get paid for, to make people read their article. Who wants to read an article that has no flare? No surprise? No argument? 

Now, way I see it is you never draft by position of need. This in most cases results in reaching. If Im the Colts Im going the BPA. With the amount of Oline and WRs it is a very possible chance it could be one of them positions.