Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upcoming Chess Match

I have been thinking for a couple months now.  With Frank Reich mentioning how we should have an advantage in the draft, got me thinking more about it.  Everyone keeps mentioning possibly trading back a couple times, but could there be increase risk with that?  With the Eagles signing Nick Sirriani and a few of our other coaches, would this potentially force our hands earlier than we want in the draft?  I remember when the media team released path to the draft, Ballard always talked to coaches about potential target prospects for the draft.  This would mean Nick Sirriani and his coaches knows majority of the prospects on our board and how we have them ranked.  Obviously these are 2 different teams, with different needs, it is still a thought that stays with me.  Could this make the draft a chess match between the Colts and the Eagles? Chris Ballard and Nick Sirriani/Eagles GM?

3 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I have been thinking for a couple months now.  With Frank Reich mentioning how we should have an advantage in the draft, got me thinking more about it.  Everyone keeps mentioning possibly trading back a couple times, but could there be increase risk with that?  With the Eagles signing Nick Sirriani and a few of our other coaches, would this potentially force our hands earlier than we want in the draft?  I remember when the media team released path to the draft, Ballard always talked to coaches about potential target prospects for the draft.  This would mean Nick Sirriani and his coaches knows majority of the prospects on our board and how we have them ranked.  Obviously these are 2 different teams, with different needs, it is still a thought that stays with me.  Could this make the draft a chess match between the Colts and the Eagles? Chris Ballard and Nick Sirriani/Eagles GM?

When did he mention that?   And was his reasoning because of Ballard and the scouts?

7 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

What Sirianni knows now is not close to the final Colts final draft product.   Many of our decisions won’t be made until April.  Our final Big Board likely won’t be official until early to mid-April.   We should be ok...  

That's like wondering because Sirianni knows the ingredients Indy needs to make a great carrot cake on Indy, understanding what he needs to make a wonderful tomato sauce on Philly, will somehow screw Indy's carrot cake up. 

11 minutes ago, Pelt said:

That's like wondering because Sirianni knows the ingredients Indy needs to make a great carrot cake on Indy, understanding what he needs to make a wonderful tomato sauce on Philly, will somehow screw Indy's carrot cake up. 

Idk, I make a mean tomato carrot cake.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ok..  2 questions. Who's White and who's  Black?

Will the Queens Gambit be deployed? 

:D

Be careful.  You Gonna get Castled   LOL

Thank you    I forgot how much I love to play chess      Been years but.   Anyway

McAfee had Rossini on today talking about how it's gonna be a massacre this week. I'm not so sure about that. Some of these guys yeah are gonna get let go but anyone with a bonus they are gonna also be looking at waiting for June 1 so they can spread the hit out away from this year. It's definitely gonna be a bloodbath but I don't think we will see it all this week. Again way too much draft capital being spent and not enough backloaded contracts for proven talent. It's definitely going to be interesting though. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What Sirianni knows now is not close to the final Colts final draft product.   Many of our decisions won’t be made until April.  Our final Big Board likely won’t be official until early to mid-April.   We should be ok...  

Yes, your exactly right. 

Magnus Carlsen vs Garry Kasparov, when?? Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons- Castle early, protect your King with the one Rook and 2 Pawns in front of your King. Trade Queens with your opponent, most people you play panic without their Queen - I don't, I love that situation, and rip the opponent apart with your Knights, Bishops and other Rook :thmup:.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What Sirianni knows now is not close to the Colts final draft product.   Many of our decisions won’t be made until April.  Our final Big Board likely won’t be official until early to mid-April.   We should be ok...  

Checkmate

12 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

Be careful.  You Gonna get Castled   LOL

Thank you    I forgot how much I love to play chess      Been years but.   Anyway

Me too. I haven't played in years.

It's getting popular again I heard. Because of a series called Queens Gambit on Netflix.

If Sirianni is focused on messing up the Colts draft then he is probably failing for Philly.  Totally different situations for the two teams.  And there is no real upside for him.  We aren't in the same division or even the same conference.

Will some the Colts scouting info impact some of his assessment of players coming out in the draft?  Sure.  But Philly will be setting up their draft board based on their evaluation of players and their needs.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with you in principal but the big board will be filled with players that may or may not have been discussed while Sirriani was with the team and you have to assume a lot were.

Where this could manifest is with hypothetical player Bill Noname a SS out of Tulsa state that a lot of teams havent scouted heavily. The Colts love this kid and are thinking he could be a 4-5 round player depending on workouts etc. Sirriani could very easily, and frankly should, tell his scouting dept to take a serious look at Bill Noname. They do and decide Ballard found something here and pick him in the 4th round. 

Is it going to make or break the draft? I doubt it but Id be shocked if Sirriani doesnt share any Colts info with the Eagles scouting dept.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I agree with you in principal but the big board will be filled with players that may or may not have been discussed while Sirriani was with the team and you have to assume a lot were.

Where this could manifest is with hypothetical player Bill Noname a SS out of Tulsa state that a lot of teams havent scouted heavily. The Colts love this kid and are thinking he could be a 4-5 round player depending on workouts etc. Sirriani could very easily, and frankly should, tell his scouting dept to take a serious look at Bill Noname. They do and decide Ballard found something here and pick him in the 4th round. 

Is it going to make or break the draft? I doubt it but Id be shocked if Sirriani doesnt share any Colts info with the Eagles scouting dept.

I also think Sirianni will share what he can.  And yet, I’m still not worried about it.   I don’t think much has been shared yet by the Colts. And Sirianni doesn’t know how much we like Noname.   3rd round, 4th round, 5th round, etc.   That decision won’t be made final until April.   I think all Nick might know is we like the guy as a Day 3 draft pick,   But that leaves open plenty of possibilities.  

We have different needs in the draft, so that shouldn't matter. However I can see us moving up to the Eagles spot to get a big OT that we want. It would cost us our #2 pick, but I can see it. Our #1 and $2 pick for the Eagles #1 and their #4 pick..

I understand where everyone is coming from, but I think there is a little too much emphasis on the sabotage mindset.  I'm just more referring to players of interest that are under the radar.  Say there's a DII WR that we want to Target in the 4th Rd that many teams may not know about, but Sirriani who I'm sure been in some scouting meetings also has interest in the same WR.   it would make since for the eagles to draft a WR.  Would he insist to the Eagles GM to draft him earlier than he's projected to go, knowing the colts have similar interests

Archived