Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not to Blow Up all the Salary Cap Talk.... BUT!

NewColtsFan

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Now Im confused, what is your argument then if you basically agree with what my first post said that you quoted? 

Did you only read the first few sentences and ignore the rest? Just trying to understand your point of the first msg then cause now your last msg here basically is saying what I have mentioned over and over. 

I'd like us to go after a big free agent or two at some point, we almost never do that

That was my point.  Yes we have built a decent team, but its not that great.  Our recent playoff record is nothing special either, one win in the last six years.  There is plenty to improve on

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BlackTiger said:

I'd like us to go after a big free agent or two at some point, we almost never do that

That was my point

Ok, well my first post didnt say you couldnt go after one. It was saying dont go crazy and "make it rain FAs" like another poster said. So 1, sure, trying to get 3 or 4 or more, no. 

I like Ballard’s approach: Draft well, sign your own and be prudent, when going after FAs.

Sometimes, you hear names thrown out there and people forget about signing guys that have earned a second contract.

Kinda reminds me of the Mrs. saying; “I don’t have a thing to wear”, when the closet is full. 

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

That was my point.  Yes we have built a decent team, but its not that great.  Our recent playoff record is nothing special either, one win in the last six years.  There is plenty to improve on

The last paragraph is completely misleading.  Now to be fair, you’re not the only poster to point this out.  But it’s still misleading.

2015 and 16 are on Grigson’s watch.

2017, Irsay asked to stick with Pagano and we had no Andrew Luck.   
2018: Luck returns, playoffs, one win.

2019:  again, no Luck, and as a result, no luck.

2020:  back in the playoffs.  Played well in a road loss to a very good team. 

There are a ton of extenuating circumstances here.   It’s not as Black and White as you make it seem. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

2015 and 16 are on Grigson’s watch.

2017, Irsay asked to stick with Pagano and we had no Andrew Luck.   
2018: Luck returns, playoffs, one win.

2019:  again, no Luck, and as a result, no luck.

2020:  back in the playoffs.  Played well in a road loss to a very good team. 

I know the history and what I said was true. We have built a pretty good team but I think we need more go far in the playoffs.

In three playoff games under Ballard- one win, one close loss and one blowout loss to a real contender.  That's one win in 6 years, and it was against a team that wasn't a contender either.

11 hours ago, joecolts said:

Regardless of how much CAP space the Colts may have, Ballard will continue to operate status quo.  He won't spend frivolously simply because we have the cash on hand but, he'll spend cautiously in Free Agency and continue building through the draft.  I'm good with that.  I do see him looking at the pass rush and receiver positions in FA.  LT is deep in the draft and we should find a quality player with one of our first two picks that hopefully will be able to step in beside of Q and keep our line playing at a high level.  AC was a blessing for 10 years, now we just trust Ballard finds the next one. 

You would think the 13th pick AND the second highest DT contract would debunk this.  He won't be cautious if he feels like he has a guy he covets. 

12 minutes ago, wig said:

You would think the 13th pick AND the second highest DT contract would debunk this.  He won't be cautious if he feels like he has a guy he covets. 

Ballard usually has a set price on FAs and very rarely wins those bids.

I'm perfectly fine losing out on FAs because Ballard has proven to be a great drafter.

I do think we upgrade a position or two via FA but don't think it will be big names.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm perfectly fine losing out on FAs because Ballard has proven to be a great drafter.

I do think we upgrade a position or two via FA but don't think it will be big names.

Don't disagree with most of it. Could be big names or maybe not. Just depends on how highly they think of someone. Robinson is the type of guy Wentz likes.  He's had awful QBs. If the staff thinks he can be a top guy, they'll pay to dollar. 

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

whitney houston agree GIF

10 minutes ago, wig said:

Don't disagree with most of it. Could be big names or maybe not. Just depends on how highly they think of someone. Robinson is the type of guy Wentz likes.  He's had awful QBs. If the staff thinks he can be a top guy, they'll pay to dollar. 

I highly doubt we get Robinson 

He is projected 18m per year RN

I think we do this instead 

Agholor at 8 per

Or

Samuel at 11 per

I know the history and what I said was true. We have built a pretty good team but I think we need more go far in the playoffs.

In three playoff games under Ballard- one win, one close loss and one blowout loss to a real contender.  That's one win in 6 years, and it was against a team that wasn't a contender either.

Again, you miss the bigger picture, only this time, it’s AFTER I spell out the bigger picture that you SAY you understand and then proceed to demonstrate you don’t understand it at all. 

You’re married to a view.  It doesn’t matter when anyone says, you’re not changing this incomplete view.   Your call, but I’m out.  

14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

That wouldn't be very smart. I'm perfectly fine signing 1 high quality starter. Ballard will continue to work in the draft.

Guess sarcasm is much harder than I thought.  Kind of the point where had mentioned teams fail but yes the Colts are in prime position to sign a few big name players plus some on the cheap and build the Club wisely.  We have proven to spend wisely so really was a non-factor point.

6 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Guess sarcasm is much harder than I thought.  Kind of the point where had mentioned teams fail but yes the Colts are in prime position to sign a few big name players plus some on the cheap and build the Club wisely.  We have proven to spend wisely so really was a non-factor point.

You also have to account for extensions to some or our own players. 

Colts don't have as much money as people think they do.

CB will make some moves just don't expect it to be earth shattering. 

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

You also have to account for extensions to some or our own players. 

Colts don't have as much money as people think they do.

CB will make some moves just don't expect it to be earth shattering. 

Indeed as mentioned earlier the carry over apparently had already been included in other site's calculations.  As my boss always says Clubs find ways to move money around and create cap space.  Other ways to be creative when needed to make necessary financial adjustments weather move money, cut players, etc.

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I highly doubt we get Robinson 

He is projected 18m per year RN

I think we do this instead 

Agholor at 8 per

Or

Samuel at 11 per

I don’t get the insistence for Agholor: Although he had 3 more TDS than Hilton and a higher YPC than Hilton, he had Carr throwing to him and more drops (which is why Philadelphia let him go).
 I’d rather give Hilton 8 mil for two years as he is more familiar with our system. People criticize Hilton for drops but there are some pretty good receivers with more drops than Hilton.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Not to get into a thing here, but how long has Ballard been the GM?

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again, you miss the bigger picture, only this time, it’s AFTER I spell out the bigger picture that you SAY you understand and then proceed to demonstrate you don’t understand it at all. 

You’re married to a view.  It doesn’t matter when anyone says, you’re not changing this incomplete view.   Your call, but I’m out.  

Chris has been here 4 years.  What I don't get is why you guys are bothered by my comment, I was just stating a fact. 

Is that not long enough to bring up the record?  They have been missing on pass rushers in the draft, that's one reason why I was talking about going after some free agents.  I'm not against Houston coming back either, but they had him last year and still didn't get home enough vs the good offenses they played.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Chris has been here 4 years.  What I don't get is why you guys are bothered by my comment, I was just stating a fact. 

Is that not long enough to bring up the record?  They have been missing on pass rushers in the draft, that's one reason why I was talking about going after some free agents.  I'm not against Houston coming back either, but they had him last year and still didn't get home enough vs the good offenses they played.

Don't know why you think I'm bothered by your comment. I'm wondering why you're talking about what's happened over the last six years, specifically, because it seems like an arbitrary range of time on which to focus.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't know why you think I'm bothered by your comment. I'm wondering why you're talking about what's happened over the last six years, specifically, because it seems like an arbitrary range of time on which to focus.

I picked six years because they have only won one playoff game going back to 2014.  I guess I m just getting impatient, I don't expect a super bowl run every year or anything like that. Its not like we have made one in a while either.

You were just stating a fact.

So was I when i broke down a unique set of circumstances for each year to offer context.   Your response made it very clear that you didn’t care about any of that.   Only that the Colts had only won one playoff game in six years.   That was the only thing that was important to you.  

I try to be the opposite.   A fact that stands alone is almost meaningless.  For me, as a fan, context is...   EVERYTHING.   It explains the “why”.  

I could turn around and say the Colts have made the playoffs twice on the last three years and won a road playoff game.  It’s also true.  And it sounds much better than your stat.   But it still lacks context.  So it can be misleading.   A stat by itself has less meaning to me. 

31 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I picked six years because they have only won one playoff game going back to 2014.  I guess I m just getting impatient, I don't expect a super bowl run every year or anything like that. Its not like we have made one in a while either.

In other words, it's an arbitrary range of time. That's fine. Just seemed at first like your point was 'the Colts have only won 1 playoff game in six years, Chris Ballard needs to do a better job,' and maybe that's not what you meant.

Like you, I think we need to see serious results this season. Ballard walked into a pretty good situation, but was then hit with a bunch of unforeseen obstacles, most notably the retirement of Andrew Luck. But we're past those obstacles now, for the most part, and he and his staff have to show the ability to build a perennial contender. I like Ballard, I think he's good with the potential to be great, but we haven't even won a division title yet. I'm not getting impatient, but we need to see something pretty soon.

Of course, to me, 'see something' doesn't mean spend a bunch of money in free agency. It means continue building a team that can compete for a SB. And while a bunch of people are gonna freak out about whatever happens in a couple weeks -- as is tradition -- we won't really know anything until November/December. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

In other words, it's an arbitrary range of time. That's fine. Just seemed at first like your point was 'the Colts have only won 1 playoff game in six years, Chris Ballard needs to do a better job,' and maybe that's not what you meant.

Like you, I think we need to see serious results this season. Ballard walked into a pretty good situation, but was then hit with a bunch of unforeseen obstacles, most notably the retirement of Andrew Luck. But we're past those obstacles now, for the most part, and he and his staff have to show the ability to build a perennial contender. I like Ballard, I think he's good with the potential to be great, but we haven't even won a division title yet. I'm not getting impatient, but we need to see something pretty soon.

Of course, to me, 'see something' doesn't mean spend a bunch of money in free agency. It means continue building a team that can compete for a SB. And while a bunch of people are gonna freak out about whatever happens in a couple weeks -- as is tradition -- we won't really know anything until November/December. 

I think we could have gone farther with better QB play last year. I guess you can say that about most teams, except the Texans. 

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I don’t get the insistence for Agholor: Although he had 3 more TDS than Hilton and a higher YPC than Hilton, he had Carr throwing to him and more drops (which is why Philadelphia let him go).
 I’d rather give Hilton 8 mil for two years as he is more familiar with our system. People criticize Hilton for drops but there are some pretty good receivers with more drops than Hilton.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Hilton is washed up.

47 minutes ago, Superman said:

Spending big in free agency is a huge risk. Many clubs have tried to win that way and most have failed miserably. I like Ballard's approach.

54 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think we could have gone farther with better QB play last year. I guess you can say that about most teams, except the Texans. 

We were a game away from winning the division. Could have had a top 2-3 seed if we were able to score in the second half of the Steelers game + win the Titans game.

I agree that we could have done more with some more dynamic QB play. But what really hurt us is inability to get stops against good QBs. The long TD drive at the end of the half against the Bills is a prime example.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Made the playoffs 2 of the past 3 seasons.    I'm pretty happy with that considering the Luck situation and the O-line he was left with.  

4 hours ago, Superman said:

We were a game away from winning the division. Could have had a top 2-3 seed if we were able to score in the second half of the Steelers game + win the Titans game.

I agree that we could have done more with some more dynamic QB play. But what really hurt us is inability to get stops against good QBs. The long TD drive at the end of the half against the Bills is a prime example.

Yeah this is true. Even with DeFo I felt like our pass rush was a little inconsistent at times. Or at least, what you saw was them on the struggle bus to finish against the mobile quarterbacks.. bringing the convo back full circle to those guys who can move, even just a little. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Carl Lawson is an average pass rusher.

From what I've read, he sounds like a young guy who is getting better and ready for a breakout season. He had some good pressure stats from the article that was quoted.

Of course, it comes down to who Ballard likes. I hope he likes someone younger. It seemed pretty clear we weren't getting the job done toward the end of last season, and I don't expect some of those guys to get any better at this point in their careers.

Archived