Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN announces Mike Greenberg to host NFL draft coverage

I'm pretty stoked about this.  I've been wanting Greeney to host the draft ever since Chris Berman retired from doing it.

I know that not everybody likes this call.  But I do.  Mike Greenberg is a far more capable host than Trey Wingo, able to manage a table full of analysts, and hand off the story without becoming the story.  Trey Wingo could barely contain Louis Riddick, Booger McFarland, Daniel Jeremiah, and Michael Irvin, all of whom kept blathering on and on, never relinquishing the mic, while Mel Kiper Jr, the supposed draft guru, just sat at the side, never being allowed to say a word at all about anything.  All the while, Wingo would gush banal hyperbole and empty platitudes as if the draft were some grand cosmic event.  Greeney would do a far superior job at hosting, and I think will wind up claiming the job for the foreseeable future.

Love greeny! Has been my favorite espn talking head for the past 15 years. Everything he touches is quality and his ability to manage the former athletes and turn their dumb takes into a fun discussion is critical. Otherwise it’s listening to athletes argue with each other with no real direction. 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm pretty stoked about this.  I've been wanting Greeney to host the draft ever since Chris Berman retired from doing it.

I know that not everybody likes this call.  But I do.  Mike Greenberg is a far more capable host than Trey Wingo, able to manage a table full of analysts, and hand off the story without becoming the story.  Trey Wingo could barely contain Louis Riddick, Booger McFarland, Daniel Jeremiah, and Michael Irvin, all of whom kept blathering on and on, never relinquishing the mic, while Mel Kiper Jr, the supposed draft guru, just sat at the side, never being allowed to say a word at all about anything.  All the while, Wingo would gush banal hyperbole and empty platitudes as if the draft were some grand cosmic event.  Greeney would do a far superior job at hosting, and I think will wind up claiming the job for the foreseeable future.

There’s a good reason why Trey Wingo couldn’t contain the likes of Daniel Jeremiah and Michael Irvin.   That’s because those two work for the NFL Network and Wingo worked for ESPN.    They were never at the same desk, the same show, or the same network. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s a good reason why Trey Wingo couldn’t contain the likes of Daniel Jeremiah and Michael Irvin.   That’s because those two work for the NFL Network and Wingo worked for ESPN.    They were never at the same desk, the same show, or the same network. 

Wikapedia must have gotten it wrong then.  Or maybe they just confusingly grouped them all together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_Draft_broadcasters

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Wikapedia must have gotten it wrong then.  Or maybe they just confusingly grouped them all together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_Draft_broadcasters

Thats a very good find.   I’ve not seen that before.    But, yes.   Wiki got that wrong.   Rich Eisen is the host for the NFL Network and he’s got a bigger roster of experts than this list reflects.  

Sorry, I didn’t mean to zing you like that.  I was just looking to clarify.   

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thats a very good find.   I’ve not seen that before.    But, yes.   Wiki got that wrong.   Rich Eisen is the host for the NFL Network and he’s got a bigger roster of experts than this list reflects.  

Sorry, I didn’t mean to zing you like that.  I was just looking to clarify.   

I’ve always kind of liked Rich. Though as a whole, NFL Network can be a bit much, with everyone jockeying to talk over each other. 

Archived