Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rock zone coverage break down

I think if you take away his untimely PI calls people would be quite happy with his play. On the other hand, I also like Okereke and people around here seem to think he is gonna flop. So who knows. 

48 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Yeah I'm not sure what all the hate on ya sin was about? Maybe all that Ref targeting nonsense PI he had, sure he was a little grabby, but what CB isn't?

I do firmly believe if you get a rep for being "grabby" you're going to get called for it more. Suplexing a guy probably didn't help.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

That's great he's good in zone. But...........

If your team plays zone and man, you have to be good at both in order to get the start. 

I am not a big Rock fan but a couple of things.  1.  The Colts defense is mainly a zone scheme.  2.  The knock on him is that he struggles in  the zone and was more suited for man coverage which is why how he performs in zone matters.  

Again I haven’t been a big Rock fan but this at least seems to suggest maybe some of the hate was undeserved and that’s why I found it interesting.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not a big Rock fan but a couple of things.  1.  The Colts defense is mainly a zone scheme.  2.  The knock on him is that he struggles in  the zone and was more suited for man coverage which is why how he performs in zone matters.  

Again I haven’t been a big Rock fan but this at least seems to suggest maybe some of the hate was undeserved and that’s why I found it interesting.

Yeah it seems that if he gets beat off the LOS and the receiver gets a step on him, he panics because he don't have good recovery speed. I think he needs to work harder on his technique and keep his concentration. Ballard will kind of need to see a marked improvement from him next year. He gave up some big plays last year that killed us at times (Steelers, Titans) or nearly killed us (Green Bay).

16 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yeah it seems that if he gets beat off the LOS and the receiver gets a step on him, he panics because he don't have good recovery speed. I think he needs to work harder on his technique and keep his concentration. Ballard will kind of need to see a marked improvement from him next year. He gave up some big plays last year that killed us at times (Steelers, Titans) or nearly killed us (Green Bay).

Yeah I think his lack of speed is more of a concern than his ability to play zone or man.  

• Like 1

When he has his back to the ball, he loses track and gets beat. If he's not completely beat, he gets handsy. If he sees the ball in front of him, or just needs to run to catch the play, his athleticism can shine. But he's deficient, technically, and it costs him frequently. 

These are the same questions I had about him when he was drafted. I don't think he's gotten better. And ultimately, while there were questions about his fit in a zone defense, I think his tape so far shows a player that isn't ready to play tight man coverage in the NFL.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Superman said:

When he has his back to the ball, he loses track and gets beat. If he's not completely beat, he gets handsy. If he sees the ball in front of him, or just needs to run to catch the play, his athleticism can shine. But he's deficient, technically, and it costs him frequently. 

These are the same questions I had about him when he was drafted. I don't think he's gotten better. And ultimately, while there were questions about his fit in a zone defense, I think his tape so far shows a player that isn't ready to play tight man coverage in the NFL.

Another thing that worries me about Rock, is that it seems he has confidence issues on the field. Like when he gives up a big play, you can see him wincing and talking with himself. I just worry that if he continues to be plagued by giving up big/important playsand getting benched, would his confidence by irreparably damaged for coaches to trust him. I hope he take a step forward this year, but I think it would be prudent for Ballard to bring in a reliable back-up boundary CB.

42 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

His pick against the packers was a thing of beauty....he really fooled rodgers in that coverage

Yea it was.  They baited Rogers into that.  Either that or RYS blew the coverage and had enough speed to catch up.   I'll go with option one LOL

Stampede blue summed it up well 

Rock Ya-Sin is a highly scrutinized corner for the Colts, and honestly, it is within good reason. The leash is very short for NFL cornerbacks and struggles like his are hard to overcome. However, when you look at the full picture of his game, he is not a terrible corner. He is just two different corners in one body. An outstanding zone player who has major confidence and technical issues in man coverage.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/2/22307850/the-dichotomy-of-play-the-story-of-rock-ya-sin

10 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Suplexing a guy probably didn't help.

Not gonna lie. I loved it and hated it at the same time.  Probably loved it a little more though. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Superman said:

And to think we could’ve gotten Greedy