Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ballard vs grigson

GRUMPY OLD MAN

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually when Grigson inherited the team, 60% of the team was different compared to 2011 and we were in total rebuild. We got rid of a lot of players from 2011. We kept key guys like Reggie, Robert Mathis, and Adam V but a lot of the players were different on that 2012 team. Freeney was on his last leg here. Just by drafting Luck and keeping Reggie and Mathis kept us relevant and luckily TY Hilton had a good rookie season. You plug in most rookie QB's on that 2012 team we would've been lucky to go 8-8, Luck had the 'IT' factor his rookie season and in 2013 and 2014.

I think there's a lot of context to the whole debate. I think one thing is certain though. Grigson was not near as successful in the draft compared to Ballard. I do think Ballard gets worshipped a bit to much though. His job is about to get a lot harder. I'd like to see how he handles the next 2-3 years. If there's one place he's struggled in the draft is draft is DE, and on D as a whole IMO. And he gets way to much credit for his 1st and 2nd round picks. IMO, 1st and 2nd round picks should be starters for any half decent GM. He's done pretty darn well in FA thus far too. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think there's a lot of context to the whole debate. I think one thing is certain though. Grigson was not near as successful in the draft compared to Ballard. I do think Ballard gets worshipped a bit to much though. His job is about to get a lot harder. I'd like to see how he handles the next 2-3 years. If there's one place he's struggled in the draft is draft is DE, and on D as a whole IMO. And he gets way to much credit for his 1st and 2nd round picks. IMO, 1st and 2nd round picks should be starters for any half decent GM. He's done pretty darn well in FA thus far too. 

Ballard deserves to be worshipped, he is the best gm in the league the last 3 or 4 years .there will be a statue of Ballard when he retires right next to Manning’s statue . 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

They should, but that is not always the case.  

I think he has done a great job.   He's built depth where there was none.  He's not gone crazy in FA therefor keeping us in a good cap situation.  

Ballard has struggled a bit finding a stud edge rusher in the draft.   getting Houston was good and Buckner allowed the Colts to rank 14th in QB pressures so it wasn't as glaring as it could have been.  

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I would take Ballard all day over Grigs, Ballard is just better regarding the draft and Free Agency. The players and coaches like him as well. I was just pointing out Grigson didn't inherit a good team at all. Keeping Wayne and Mathis helped bigtime. Having Luck there at #1 was like having Manning Lite lol. Luck and Wayne was like peanut butter and jelly in 2012.

9 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Ballard deserves to be worshipped, he is the best gm in the league the last 3 or 4 years .there will be a statue of Ballard when he retires right next to Manning’s statue . 

Sainthood is not in the conversation until we're competing for a conference championship and have won the AFCS a few times. I like what I've seen so far. Better than Grigson. Not sure about best in the league for 4 years.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

They should, but that is not always the case.  

I think he has done a great job.   He's built depth where there was none.  He's not gone crazy in FA therefor keeping us in a good cap situation.  

Ballard has struggled a bit finding a stud edge rusher in the draft.   getting Houston was good and Buckner allowed the Colts to rank 14th in QB pressures so it wasn't as glaring as it could have been.  

I give him a B+, which is really good, and I'm a hard grader. But like I said, drafting for a bad team, and upgrading FAs for a bad roster, isn't hard. The roster is now more well rounded now, so drafting and upgrading will be more of a challenge. I'm optimistic and think he'll do well. That said, he's got several holes to fill this year (which I think we have plenty of $ and capital to fill), but it will get harder, especially with some contracts coming up. Happy so far, but really interested to see how he navigates the next 3-4 years.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would take Ballard all day over Grigs, Ballard is just better regarding the draft and Free Agency. The players and coaches like him as well. I was just pointing out Grigson didn't inherit a good team at all. Keeping Wayne and Mathis helped bigtime. Having Luck there at #1 was like having Manning Lite lol. Luck and Wayne was like peanut butter and jelly in 2012.

Neither inherited a good team. Some great pieces, but not a great team. But yes, I'm with you, I'd take CB or Grigson any day.

On 3/12/2021 at 7:45 PM, crazycolt1 said:

That means he don't over spend on free agents. 

even buckner he got a great deal on usually buckner would be the highest paid DT  in the nfl .  He got him under AD  money and he is almost just as good .  usually the market will pay a 5 or 6th best DT as the highest if they sign the newest contract .  ballard is a god among men

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

even buckner he got a great deal on usually buckner would be the highest paid DT  in the nfl .  He got him under AD  money and he is almost just as good .  usually the market will pay a 5 or 6th best DT as the highest if they sign the newest contract .  ballard is a god among men

Buckner got a premium contract but he wasn't a free agent. 

Just saying. 

Archived