Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper compares Mac Jones to Tom Brady

Two crazy things about this article. 

1. Had a great season but the Senior Bowl helped sale his draft status. I have mentioned a few times that I see him being solid and having a good career. Also I think he is drafted higher than expected. 

2. it’s crazy that in 2000 the 7th QB (Tom Brady) was taking in the 6th round. In today’s NFL every year you have 6 or 7 drafted within the first four rounds. The league has definitely changed. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Two crazy things about this article. 

1. Had a great season but the Senior Bowl helped sale his draft status. I have mentioned a few times that I see him being solid and having a good career. Also I think he is drafted higher than expected. 

2. it’s crazy that in 2000 the 7th QB (Tom Brady) was taking in the 6th round. In today’s NFL every year you have 6 or 7 drafted within the first four rounds. The league has definitely changed. 

I think he ends up in Carolina or Washington. Maybe SF takes him. 

Frankly I think it's ridiculous to compare a rookie to Brady, more to the fact it puts way to high expectations on the rookie and I don't think you can accurate say Mac Jones has the intangibles and sole football focus that Brady has because no one does

• Thanks 1

As a headline,  it looks ridiculous.    Any rookie would like silly being compared to Brady.

But we're all measuring any given rookie to 7-time Super Bowl winner, Tom Brady.    Everyone looks bad in that comparison.

But if you measure him against the 199th overall pick 20 plus years ago,  then it doesn't look quite so bad.

I think Jones is a hard eval....   because it's hard to know if he's good because of his ability,  or the fact that he was surrounded by 5 and 4 star talent everywhere.    In a 2-year window,  Alabama is going to have 4 first round draft pick wide receivers!   And they will all be pretty highly selected.    That will help any QB.    I think it makes for a much harder evaluation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I think he ends up in Carolina or Washington. Maybe SF takes him. 

Carolina for sure. Rhule had a week with him and got to start his process already. I think he is shooting for him for sure. 

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As a headline,  it looks ridiculous.    Any rookie would like silly being compared to Brady.

But we're all measuring any given rookie to 7-time Super Bowl winner, Tom Brady.    Everyone looks bad in that comparison.

But if you measure him against the 199th overall pick 20 plus years ago,  then it doesn't look quite so bad.

I think Jones is a hard eval....   because it's hard to know if he's good because of his ability,  or the fact that he was surrounded by 5 and 4 star talent everywhere.    In a 2-year window,  Alabama is going to have 4 first round draft pick wide receivers!   And they will all be pretty highly selected.    That will help any QB.    I think it makes for a much harder evaluation.

I hate to hear this because last year you were not saying this about Burrow. He only had 1 year of solid production. Had 3 top WR’s and a good TE plus a stud RB. Jefferson and Hellaire solid draft picks. Now you have Chase and Marshall. But yet nothing said about him just Alabama guys. 

Look I get Burrows should promising traits and had more athleticism but still people around here try to use that top talent stuff to much for Jones. Just my thoughts. 

• Confused 1
15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He'll be lucky to even win half the amount of super bowls brady has.

To expect any QB to win more than 2 is asking a lot. 2 is the gold standard for being a great winner when you consider only 12 QB's have won 2 or more. Nobody will even come close to Brady's 7. I seriously doubt even Rodgers will ever win 2 and I would almost bet my years salary Brees won't win 2 as a starter and those 2 QB's are 1st ballot Hall of Famers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Who the hell is Mel Kiper? 

I think that question has been answered.   

Mel is closing in on doing this for 40 years.  He’s the Dean of media analysts.    And Tobin was out of the football business not too many years later. 

On 3/2/2021 at 9:42 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To expect any QB to win more than 2 is asking a lot. 2 is the gold standard for being a great winner when you consider only 12 QB's have won 2 or more. Nobody will even come close to Brady's 7. I seriously doubt even Rodgers will ever win 2 and I would almost bet my years salary Brees won't win 2 as a starter and those 2 QB's are 1st ballot Hall of Famers.

Like I said he'll be lucky to win half as many lol.......actually I was being sarcastic but didn't use the emoji haha

Of course he won't win half as many or seriously doubt he wins 2 and probably wins zero

• Like 1
On 3/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

He's the man with the best hair on this forum or on any draft night coverage!

Mel-Kiper-Feature.jpg?itok=AFzSIP-m

My neighbor knows more about football than Mel Kiper....and he's a mailman.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Your neighbor may know more about football but there is no way he has flowing locks of hair like Mel Kiper!

I always crack up whenever they play that Tobin video. 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I don’t know why after so many years there are so many people who still believe Kiper  doesn’t know what he’s talking about?

The exact opposite is true.   Always has been.   He’s lasted more than 35 years and for very good reason. 

But I’ve been reading this here since I showed up nearly nine years ago.  Some falsehoods die slowly around here. 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why after so many years there are so many people who still believe Kiper  doesn’t know what he’s talking about?

The exact opposite is true.   Always has been.   He’s lasted more than 35 years and for very good reason. 

But I’ve been reading this here since I showed up nearly nine years ago.  Some falsehoods die slowly around here. 

I have to agree. His draft order is not always spot on but his ability to evaluate talent is always in the ballpark as to what GMs agree on. 

As it turned out Tobin's rant ended up being pretty lame after Trev Alberts ended up being one of the Colts all time bust. Not only was Alberts a bust, so was Tobin. :dunno:

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Relax....i was paraphrasing a Bill Tobin quote . Tobin went off on Kiper when the Colts drafted Trev Alberta instead of Trent Dilfer. 

• Thanks 1

Wasn't A J McCarron also compared to Brady or was it he that did it when he dropped all the way? Not every QB that drops to Round 6 going to be Brady and while Brady might be the gold standard w.r.t accomplishments, I think the comparisons to existing QBs in the NFL only hurts college QBs by placing a false unrealistic expectation on them. I would rather them say "I want to be the first Joe Burrow" etc. and make their own mark. That is what Mahomes did. You have to make your own mark in your own way. 

When I heard Jordan Love could be the next Mahomes like arm talent in a QB, I thought "hmmm...". :peek:

• Thanks 1