Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Contract Value for Big Q, Leonard, and Braden Smith

runthepost

I think the version of the 2003-2009 Colts has ruined a lot of this fanbase. They spoiled us so much and had so many playmakers on both sides of the ball, now nothing seems good enough for some in here. The days of going 89-23 over 7 years and winning a SB may never happen again?? I hope that isn't the case but Manning's, Harrison's, Wayne's, Saturday's, Freeney's, Mathis', and Sanders' dont grow on trees people. Hell last year we went 11-5 and Rivers had what I would call a good year. Nothing great but was good and we played Buffalo even in the playoffs. I thought the defense was very good all season as well, not quite great but very good and there was still people whining about the team. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelson is my favorite player, but only because I'm a ND homer, and love nastiness. 

That said, I don't view him as the face of the franchise. IMO, we don't have a clear face of the franchise. It's just not practical or common for an OL to be the face. Certainly they can be "fan favorites", but not really the face, at least from a national perspective.

It's also a bit hard for 4-3 LB to be the face as well like Leonard, even if they are PB type of guys.

IMO, it's typically someone with personality, production, and more times a QB, WR, RB, 3T, CB, or DE, than not. It's also best to be a drafted player and not a FA. FA QBs can be the exception for sure. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nelson is my favorite player, but only because I'm a ND homer, and love nastiness. 

That said, I don't view him as the face of the franchise. IMO, we don't have a clear face of the franchise. It's just not practical or common for an OL to be the face. Certainly they can be "fan favorites", but not really the face, at least from a national perspective.

It's also a bit hard for 4-3 LB to be the face as well like Leonard, even if they are PB type of guys.

IMO, it's typically someone with personality, production, and more times a QB, WR, RB, 3T, CB, or DE, than not. It's also best to be a drafted player and not a FA. FA QBs can be the exception for sure. 

I pretty much chose Nelson as the face in regards too, if someone told me I had to choose one. I guess some may disagree and could say Leonard possibly.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I pretty much chose Nelson as the face in regards too, if someone told me I had to choose one. I guess some may disagree and could say Leonard possibly.

Nelson will likely be my favorite active player, or co-favorite, until he retires or leaves.

I do think we'll see a new "face of the franchise" over the next year or two.

Wentz, if he can snap back has the best shot IMO. If he performs, I can see him easily embraced by a MW team.

Taylor, if he's top 5 in the league could emerge this year too.

I like Leonard too. I absolutely love his country demeanor. I big year with big plays like INTs etc., could seal it for him.

Buckner with a big sack year, could be the guy. He needs to do more media/personality wise.

If they'd let Nelson play more FB, or fun stuff, he could be the guy. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nelson will likely be my favorite active player, or co-favorite, until he retires or leaves.

I do think we'll see a new "face of the franchise" over the next year or two.

Wentz, if he can snap back has the best shot IMO. If he performs, I can see him easily embraced by a MW team.

Taylor, if he's top 5 in the league could emerge this year too.

I like Leonard too. I absolutely love his country demeanor. I big year with big plays like INTs etc., could seal it for him.

Buckner with a big sack year, could be the guy. He needs to do more media/personality wise.

If they'd let Nelson play more FB, or fun stuff, he could be the guy. 

Yeah Wentz could become the face as many QB's are for teams. I hope he has at least a good year. Buckner like Nelson and Leonard really stand out on this team. I like Kenny Moore a lot too. Taylor has a lot of potential, back in the day there were plenty of RB's that were the face of teams like Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson here and in LA, I even thought Emmitt was in Dallas and they had Aikman. Henry is of the Titans IMO too.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Wentz could become the face as many QB's are for teams. I hope he has at least a good year. Buckner like Nelson and Leonard really stand out on this team. I like Kenny Moore a lot too. Taylor has a lot of potential, back in the day there were plenty of RB's that were the face of teams like Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson here and in LA, I even thought Emmitt was in Dallas and they had Aikman. Henry is of the Titans IMO too.

Yup. It's harder for RBs to be the guy these days. It's a passing league now, and RBs are devalued a lot. 

IMO, Henry is really the only RB now in the league that warrants it. And I really think it will be short lived. TN is running him into the ground. I hope we don't do the same with Taylor. He's got a ton of miles on him already from college. I'd love to see him get more passing game targets though. It's one reason I'd love to see us bring back Mack for a cheap one year deal if he's healthy.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. It's harder for RBs to be the guy these days. It's a passing league now, and RBs are devalued a lot. 

IMO, Henry is really the only RB now in the league that warrants it. And I really think it will be short lived. TN is running him into the ground. I hope we don't do the same with Taylor. He's got a ton of miles on him already from college. I'd love to see him get more passing game targets though. It's one reason I'd love to see us bring back Mack for a cheap one year deal if he's healthy.

Agreed those 2000 yard seasons are nice but what comes after those 2000 yard seasons are usually not as nice.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably a lot but keep in mind, Nelson is 8 years younger than Trent is. That is a huge difference when it comes to lineman.

One is a left tackle.....premium position. Drafting a LT usually requires  a high 1st round pick. Guards can be found past the 1st and 2nd round. Big difference.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Agreed those 2000 yard seasons are nice but what comes after those 2000 yard seasons are usually not as nice.  

Yup. Early last year, you could tell that Frank wanted to bring Taylor along slowly. While I think that had a lot to do with easing a rook in, you could tell just by the rotation that followed that the Colts were trying to rotate a lot. I hated the way they did it sometimes, but I did like that they tried to keep Taylor a big fresh. Having Mack back will be sooooooo nice. He's a very good zone block RB. Not the most powerful guy, but patient and great vision. This may be bad news for Wilkins though. Wouldn't surprise me though if we kept all 4 on the 53, especially early while Mack gets back to form.

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

3 time all pro i 

Yes he is a  3 time consecutve all pro. That being said. His impact as a 3 time All Pro I venture to say would not be the same as say a 3 time All Pro at most other postions say  Dend, corner, wr, Dtackle. Just my opinion.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Early last year, you could tell that Frank wanted to bring Taylor along slowly. While I think that had a lot to do with easing a rook in, you could tell just by the rotation that followed that the Colts were trying to rotate a lot. I hated the way they did it sometimes, but I did like that they tried to keep Taylor a big fresh. Having Mack back will be sooooooo nice. He's a very good zone block RB. Not the most powerful guy, but patient and great vision. This may be bad news for Wilkins though. Wouldn't surprise me though if we kept all 4 on the 53, especially early while Mack gets back to form.

They kept Wilkins on the roster after training camp last year right?  

I have to think they will do that again this year given that Mack is recovering from major injury.  

On 3/18/2021 at 10:54 AM, Valpo2004 said:

They kept Wilkins on the roster after training camp last year right?  

I have to think they will do that again this year given that Mack is recovering from major injury.  

I think that had to do with having a rook with a lot of miles, and wanting to bring him along slowly. We also kept a lot of WRs on the 53. In short, it's just not always doable to keep 3QBs, 4 RBs and 6 or 7 WRs on the 53. It was easier last year because the D was kind of set. This year, there's a lot of D turnover so not sure we'll have the flexibility to keep all those O skill players on the 53

On 3/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, EastStreet said:

How come I say what u said but  just a little differently and I get eviscerated????lol

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How come I say what u said but  just a little differently and I get eviscerated????lol

Seriously?   You asked??

Its because you don’t say the same thing.  You get eviscerated (your word) because you want Ballard to trade BOTH Nelson and Leonard.  ES isn’t saying that.  He’s only talking about face of the franchise.  A much smallest, almost insignificant issue. 

You’ve been beating the same dead horse for years now, so you've built up a lot of ill will here.   And yet you’re surprised that people give you tremendous push back.   

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Because you are less stats/factual perhaps. 

There is nothing wrong with being critical, but critical + thoughtful reasoning goes a lot longer way than just critical.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments, You should just try being less emotional, and more explanative. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?   You asked??

Its because you don’t say the same thing.  You get eviscerated (your word) because you want Ballard to trade BOTH Nelson and Leonard.  ES isn’t saying that.  He’s only talking about face of the franchise.  A much smallest, almost insignificant issue. 

You’ve been beating the same dead horse for years now, so you've built up a lot of ill will here.   And yet you’re surprised that people give you tremendous push back.   

You and I have been less cordial at times. We are working on it, and making progress. That's awesome. Perhaps more progress is possible from both sides.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Because you are less stats/factual perhaps. 

There is nothing wrong with being critical, but critical + thoughtful reasoning goes a lot longer way than just critical.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments, You should just try being less emotional, and more explanative. 

K.....now u sound like my wife....lol.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?   You asked??

Hey...its only a game....lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived