Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trey Hendrickson   4yr $48m $30m guaranteed

Antonio Villanueva.  OT   2/25m.   Maybe 3/40m.  

Quinton Dunbar. Similar to Rhodes last year with Gannon, he played for our new DB's coach in Washington. He also fits the length and physicality requirements for our scheme.    Breeland fits

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Are you comfortable with the majority of our cap going to one group cause I'm not

 

I think Kelly and Glow are replaceable down the road but Smith and Q deserve to come back. 

 

Sportrac projected a 4/72 TW to 49ers

 

Thats 18m plus similar to what Q will get and I'm guessing 14m or so Smith

 

Thats almost 60m for 3 guys

 

No thanks 

General speaking heavy spending in one area might be cause for concern on the rest of the roster but I'm just looking at it from the money as to what of it is available now and for the next few years. We have very little invested in the secondary nor are we paying big money to pass rushers, tight ends, running backs, etc, nor likely will we for a while. If we were more tight on cap space then yeah, all that money in one area is a problem, but to add a short term deal at a time when we can afford it? I don't mind it, no.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

ESPN is predicting TY Hilton will sign with the 49ers and Robinson will sign here. ESPN is a pretty good source, it isn't the Foshinator reporting this stuff :banana:

I mean, not really in this instance.

 

 

There is no substantial talk to support the prediction just a guy/girl making a prediction.

 

 

There is no sources to the prediction, just a guess by someone. 

 

 

And Foshinator called the Wentz move done by noon on the day it was done by noon. He clearly had a source on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Kelly, Nelson and Smith did OK from Day 1. I just don't see the Colts spending money on a left tackle. I think we draft one and he starts.

 

The most important position, and the most difficult position is Left Tackle.  Most rookie LT’s are not ready as rookies.   This year, only one is obviously ready on day one, Sewell.

 

Everyone else is a question mark to be ready as a rookie.   I’d like to give Wentz as much protection as we can. 
 

As for the rest of our OL...   gee...  Nelson is a once in a generation guard.   Kelly was the best center in a 2-3 year window.   And Smith we got a little lucky with.   Left tackle is totally different. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Are you comfortable with the majority of our cap going to one group cause I'm not

 

I think Kelly and Glow are replaceable down the road but Smith and Q deserve to come back. 

 

Sportrac projected a 4/72 TW to 49ers

 

Thats 18m plus similar to what Q will get and I'm guessing 14m or so Smith

 

Thats almost 60m for 3 guys

 

No thanks 


Sign a top class Williams for two or three years (if three years make the structure so that the third year favours the Colts.). Offensive and defensive line by far the most important.

 

Draft an OT early in round 2-4 and let that guy develop and take over in  a couple years. 
 

When Williams’ contract is up Nelson’s 5th year option is done, and he’ll get his new deal. Same with Braden. 
If it’s three year deal for Williams they could get out of it with an aforementioned favourable structure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The most important position, and the most difficult position is Left Tackle.  Most rookie LT’s are not ready as rookies.   This year, only one is obviously ready on day one, Sewell.

 

Everyone else is a question mark to be ready as a rookie.   I’d like to give Wentz as much protection as we can. 
 

As for the rest of our OL...   gee...  Nelson is a once in a generation guard.   Kelly was the best center in a 2-3 year window.   And Smith we got a little lucky with.   Left tackle is totally different. 

Eichenberg is ready day 1. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Eichenberg is ready day 1. 

From what I read, he’s ready to start Day one at right tackle and might need a year there before he moves over.   
 

I like him, but I think he might be a very high floor, but not very high ceiling prospect for LT.   
 

Still doing homework, and open to changing my view, but that’s my position for now. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

 

I'm having trouble technically posting them,  but in this thread,  click on the DJ's top-50 list...   scan down and find his reviews of Eichenberg, who's in the late 40's.  Jenkins, who I think is 30,  and Radunz, who I think is in the early 40's...   read each profile.     At the end of each he calls them all prospects to play right tackle...   at least at the start of their career, and maybe their whole career.    Most guys who can play the right side, can't play the left for a variety of reasons...

 

But take a look on your own and see what he says...

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eichenberg may be a Round 2-3 guy from what I saw on the CBS site, plus he wasn't in the first round of several mock drafts I've seen. Maybe we could get our tackle in the second round.

I'm sure it's possible Ballard will spend money on a free agent tackle, but I hope he uses that money at defensive end (Lawson) or corner.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trey Hendrickson- DE-Saints- 13.5 sacks last year, 26 years of age,wont break the bank because last season was first big year so some will back off because havent seen enough. Saints in cap h*ll and cant keep him. Perfect fit.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, James said:


Sign a top class Williams for two or three years (if three years make the structure so that the third year favours the Colts.). Offensive and defensive line by far the most important.

 

Draft an OT early in round 2-4 and let that guy develop and take over in  a couple years. 
 

When Williams’ contract is up Nelson’s 5th year option is done, and he’ll get his new deal. Same with Braden. 
If it’s three year deal for Williams they could get out of it with an aforementioned favourable structure. 

We don't get a 5th yr option on Smith, so he will have to be signed a yr earlier than Big Q.     If I am understanding you correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BluesGirl said:

We don't get a 5th yr option on Smith, so he will have to be signed a yr earlier than Big Q.     If I am understanding you correctly.

Correct. Only 1st round picks get the 5th year option, so Braden's extension will most likely come before Q's.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea Samuel isn’t getting 6 or 7 a year. He is likely to get a 3 year 30-33 mil type deal. 

Yes.

 

I read somewhere Raiders would offer Nelson 2/15 which is why I said 2/16.

 

I'm not 100% on Agholor projection 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Yes.

 

I read somewhere Raiders would offer Nelson 2/15 which is why I said 2/16.

 

I'm not 100% on Agholor projection 

Yea definitely will be hard to tell this year. I’m just not a fan of his personally. Had a better year on the outside last year but still just not worth the money in my eyes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quinton Dunbar. Similar to Rhodes last year with Gannon, he played for our new DB's coach in Washington. He also fits the length and physicality requirements for our scheme. 

 

Breeland fits that description too, BTW. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring Ryan Kerrigan back home again to Indiana.  Don't see the Colts resigning Houston and Kerrigan wants a chance to still start and proved he still has enough game left in him plus it shouldn't take much to sign Kerrigan (imo 3.5m/yr).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m guessing FA will be a corner or a WR. Who, I don’t know . 
 

if we go OL, the dude from Pittsburgh would be my top choice with the young kid from the Ravens that wants out of there a close second

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m guessing FA will be a corner or a WR. Who, I don’t know . 
 

if we go OL, the dude from Pittsburgh would be my top choice with the young kid from the Ravens that wants out of there a close second

The young dude from Ravens would have to be traded 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

The young dude from Ravens would have to be traded 

That’s right, I forgot what that situation was. Its been a long day. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I've read a number of articles where the writers are predicting where the best fits are for some of the top free agents.  Another one today where they are placing J. Clowney with the Colts.  This fit with Clowney is being mentioned quite frequently.  Today's article mentioned we tried to get him last year but he went to the Titans.  They feel he fits our scheme perfectly and is still only 28 years old.  Great setting the edge and next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I believe he signed a one year deal last year for 12M.  Maybe Ballard gets him this time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to say I've read a number of articles where the writers are predicting where the best fits are for some of the top free agents.  Another one today where they are placing J. Clowney with the Colts.  This fit with Clowney is being mentioned quite frequently.  Today's article mentioned we tried to get him last year but he went to the Titans.  They feel he fits our scheme perfectly and is still only 28 years old.  Great setting the edge and next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I believe he signed a one year deal last year for 12M.  Maybe Ballard gets him this time.  

I really hope not 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I have to say I've read a number of articles where the writers are predicting where the best fits are for some of the top free agents.  Another one today where they are placing J. Clowney with the Colts.  This fit with Clowney is being mentioned quite frequently.  Today's article mentioned we tried to get him last year but he went to the Titans.  They feel he fits our scheme perfectly and is still only 28 years old.  Great setting the edge and next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I believe he signed a one year deal last year for 12M.  Maybe Ballard gets him this time.  

I continuously see the same and the benefit is Ballard could get him for cheap. 6 or 7 per year. I would assume a 1 year low dollar prove it deal. But you need additional help because this guy can’t play 16 games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I continuously see the same and the benefit is Ballard could get him for cheap. 6 or 7 per year. I would assume a 1 year low dollar prove it deal. But you need additional help because this guy can’t play 16 games. 

I don't think he would go that low.  He was one of the last ER's to sign last year and he did get 12M. So 6 or 7 would be one heck of a drop which I don't see happening.  He is ranked one of the top FA's available ahead of Hendrickson and Yannick N. and the ER from Detroit.  One year deal most likely but I would rather see two years like we did with Houston.  I could see 10M per like Houston.  He would be in a rotation here so that might reduce the chances of injury.  16 now 17 games without injury is going to be a challenge for many linemen who are getting abused every play they are out there and as the pileups mount.  The analysts love his fit in our system and Ballard saw it as well.  This could be the year he gets him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think he would go that low.  He was one of the last ER's to sign last year and he did get 12M. So 6 or 7 would be one heck of a drop which I don't see happening.  He is ranked one of the top FA's available ahead of Hendrickson and Yannick N. and the ER from Detroit.  One year deal most likely but I would rather see two years like we did with Houston.  I could see 10M per like Houston.  He would be in a rotation here so that might reduce the chances of injury.  16 now 17 games without injury is going to be a challenge for many linemen who are getting abused every play they are out there and as the pileups mount.  The analysts love his fit in our system and Ballard saw it as well.  This could be the year he gets him. 

He might not go that low but he signed for 12 and didn’t produce a single sack. That hurts his value. Personally I don’t want anything to do with him but we might try again for a year or maybe even two. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a question for everyone.  The Bears are reportedly going all in on trading for Russell Wilson.  They could use draft capital to do so.  Would you be willing to do a tag and trade with the Bears giving up our 1st pick for Allen Robinson and then signing him to a long term deal like we did with Buckner?  That would give them another 1st to use in the trade for Wilson and we would get our new WR1 for Wentz.  Realistically I am not expecting Robinson to hit FA so this would be the way to get him.  Would Ballard entertain such a trade? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here is a question for everyone.  The Bears are reportedly going all in on trading for Russell Wilson.  They could use draft capital to do so.  Would you be willing to do a tag and trade with the Bears giving up our 1st pick for Allen Robinson and then signing him to a long term deal like we did with Buckner?  That would give them another 1st to use in the trade for Wilson and we would get our new WR1 for Wentz.  Realistically I am not expecting Robinson to hit FA so this would be the way to get him.  Would Ballard entertain such a trade? 

No

He's projected 18 per

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

No

He's projected 18 per

 

 

I get a kick out of how so many worry about the cap hit.  That cap hit can be effected by the amount of guaranteed money and signing bonus.  That 18 is only a projection.  With a reduced cap there is only so much a team can afford.  The agents know that. The time to sign these guys is now when the cap is constrained.  Next year the cap will jump and everyone will want bigger contracts.  18, if that's the number, will seem like a bargain in short order.   WR is a major need along with ER.  Ballard will address LT but we could survive with an average LT like Haag if we had too.  Veldeeher looked good enough.  We could always move Q as well or draft a LT in the second rd.  Lots of ways to plug that hole.  Trading our 1st for a young WR1 is not a bad way to go and signing a FA ER fills two major holes.  Not saying it's going to happen but I would guess it has been discussed along with a number of other choices.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I get a kick out of how so many worry about the cap hit.  That cap hit can be effected by the amount of guaranteed money and signing bonus.  That 18 is only a projection.  With a reduced cap there is only so much a team can afford.  The agents know that. The time to sign these guys is now when the cap is constrained.  Next year the cap will jump and everyone will want bigger contracts.  18, if that's the number, will seem like a bargain in short order.   WR is a major need along with ER.  Ballard will address LT but we could survive with an average LT like Haag if we had too.  Veldeeher looked good enough.  We could always move Q as well or draft a LT in the second rd.  Lots of ways to plug that hole.  Trading our 1st for a young WR1 is not a bad way to go and signing a FA ER fills two major holes.  Not saying it's going to happen but I would guess it has been discussed along with a number of other choices.  

I've never been a fan of paying top dollar to a WR. Chances are high Ballard will get outbid on AR if he makes the open market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • What's wrong with #15? Is it an unlucky #? Just saying and why#1?
    • BINGO!  This staff realized our #1 deficiency and that is our lack of getting to the QB.  We can no longer wait for Turray to become that force and they went out and spent our 1st and 2nd rd picks of the 2021 draft on edge rushers.  If Turray gives us anything in 2021 it will be a bonus and actually give our 2nd rd pick time to recover from injury before he is counted on.  We may have finished 15th but it felt like 32nd with the lack of an aggressive blitz game plan and a true legit pass rusher.  I hope Irsay is correct in stating he has never in his life seen this type of edge rushing talent go back to back but I like the fact this team sees there biggest weakness and addresses it.  If only they saw the weakness at the wr position like I do but if you have a back like Taylor and a top 5 OL, who cares about the qb or wr position.
    • That is how I look at it as well. There is only 1 Tier 1 team in the AFC that is KC. There are a lot of Tier 2 teams though = Bills, Ravens, Titans, Browns, Colts, Steelers, and Dolphins. The Pats might even be Tier 2 but their QB play is still a mystery in how well Cam will play or will Jones be any good. 
    • Regarding Wentz, with the way this team is built we don't need him to be great just efficient.  Top 5 running game, top 10 defense all we need is him to play to the level of a top 15 qb, which is not a lot to ask honestly.  He has MVP capabilities with the right supporting cast so I trust Coach Reich in rectifying any mechanical flaws he may have.  We dont need an MVP qb to win in Indy but we do need him to be in the top 15.  That will be the telling tale of our season is if we have a top 15 qb.
    • At the end of the day it comes down to if the team is better. And @CR91 and others hit it on the head w identifying Wentz as really the centerpiece here.   - Our RBs are the same and should maybe be a tick better as Taylor continues to progress and as we get anything out of Mack this season compared to being without him last year.   - Our OL basically will be the same with some significant depth improvement. Reed is a huge huge improvement at OG if we have a need to play him. Pinter will be another year in and hopefully another year better. OT depth w Tevi and Davenport to add to Holden is way better. So really it comes down to how close to vintage Fisher we get and when. But it is a current concern.   - Our TE room is basically the same w hopefully some more chances for Allie-Cox (which would be an improvement w his ceiling) and replacing Burton who we got nothing out of w the speed and shiftiness of Granson. I think thats a slight upgrade.   - WR room is the same. Hilton cannot be utilized much less than he was last year. He should be a bit better at a minimum, especially w us able to throw downfield more. Pittman is a year more polished. Campbell is the big thing here. People that complained in the media or fan-wise about the Colts not doing much at WR seem to forget we are basically adding a talent in Campbell that would be right up there w top market assets if he can just stay on the field. Basically this group should be slightly better than last year just w depth improvements at the bottom of the roster and the better utilization of Hilton and could be a huge improvement if Campbell manages to stay on the field for the first time.   - QB all comes down to which Wentz we get. 2017 Wentz and its a grand slam. 2018 or 2019 Wentz and it is still a home run as a top-half of the league QB. 2020 Wentz and it is  a strikeout.    Defense:   Secondary remains pretty much the same with Tell coming back, Davis and Davis added for depth. The loss at DB coach is the biggest loss here. But likely we are around the same.   LB again remains almost the same. Walker out hurts the depth and the leadership but it is time for Okereke to get more time and to step up. It could be addition by subtraction but for the leadership alone I'll say we got slightly worse here,   DL is the mystery. Are the additions in Paye and Dayo better than the losses in Houston and Autry? Will a hopefully healthy Turay be better than the loss of one? Will Lewis finally reach his potential w more playing time in the Autry role? Can Banogu show anything? My gut says the DL got better. But they have to produce. it is time for the young bucks to put up or shut up.      At the end of the day my net sum makes me feel like the Defense is around the same with the DL dictating if we got better or worse. We invested in the DL to get better. Now they either show it or its a loss.   Offensively we are weaker at LT until Fisher is healthy. But we are better prepared to handle it than last year. And Campbell really could make a huge huge difference for the offense. It obviously comes down to Wentz. My gut says we are actually better offensively but that we will have some rocky times with Wentz's propensity to fumble and leave our defense on a short field.   I think the real challenge here is that most people see the Chiefs, Browns and Bills as being clearly better. Maybe the Ravens too. So if the Colts aren't "definitely" better than it looks like we lost ground.    But today I feel a lot better than i did yesterday before we had at least the option of Fisher at some point to help on the blindside. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...