Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trey Hendrickson   4yr $48m $30m guaranteed

Antonio Villanueva.  OT   2/25m.   Maybe 3/40m.  

Quinton Dunbar. Similar to Rhodes last year with Gannon, he played for our new DB's coach in Washington. He also fits the length and physicality requirements for our scheme.    Breeland fits

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Are you comfortable with the majority of our cap going to one group cause I'm not

I think Kelly and Glow are replaceable down the road but Smith and Q deserve to come back. 

Sportrac projected a 4/72 TW to 49ers

Thats 18m plus similar to what Q will get and I'm guessing 14m or so Smith

Thats almost 60m for 3 guys

No thanks 

General speaking heavy spending in one area might be cause for concern on the rest of the roster but I'm just looking at it from the money as to what of it is available now and for the next few years. We have very little invested in the secondary nor are we paying big money to pass rushers, tight ends, running backs, etc, nor likely will we for a while. If we were more tight on cap space then yeah, all that money in one area is a problem, but to add a short term deal at a time when we can afford it? I don't mind it, no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

ESPN is predicting TY Hilton will sign with the 49ers and Robinson will sign here. ESPN is a pretty good source, it isn't the Foshinator reporting this stuff :banana:

I mean, not really in this instance.

There is no substantial talk to support the prediction just a guy/girl making a prediction.

There is no sources to the prediction, just a guess by someone. 

And Foshinator called the Wentz move done by noon on the day it was done by noon. He clearly had a source on that.

9 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Kelly, Nelson and Smith did OK from Day 1. I just don't see the Colts spending money on a left tackle. I think we draft one and he starts.

The most important position, and the most difficult position is Left Tackle.  Most rookie LT’s are not ready as rookies.   This year, only one is obviously ready on day one, Sewell.

Everyone else is a question mark to be ready as a rookie.   I’d like to give Wentz as much protection as we can. 

As for the rest of our OL...   gee...  Nelson is a once in a generation guard.   Kelly was the best center in a 2-3 year window.   And Smith we got a little lucky with.   Left tackle is totally different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Are you comfortable with the majority of our cap going to one group cause I'm not

I think Kelly and Glow are replaceable down the road but Smith and Q deserve to come back. 

Sportrac projected a 4/72 TW to 49ers

Thats 18m plus similar to what Q will get and I'm guessing 14m or so Smith

Thats almost 60m for 3 guys

No thanks 

Sign a top class Williams for two or three years (if three years make the structure so that the third year favours the Colts.). Offensive and defensive line by far the most important.

Draft an OT early in round 2-4 and let that guy develop and take over in  a couple years. 

When Williams’ contract is up Nelson’s 5th year option is done, and he’ll get his new deal. Same with Braden. 
If it’s three year deal for Williams they could get out of it with an aforementioned favourable structure. 

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The most important position, and the most difficult position is Left Tackle.  Most rookie LT’s are not ready as rookies.   This year, only one is obviously ready on day one, Sewell.

Everyone else is a question mark to be ready as a rookie.   I’d like to give Wentz as much protection as we can. 

As for the rest of our OL...   gee...  Nelson is a once in a generation guard.   Kelly was the best center in a 2-3 year window.   And Smith we got a little lucky with.   Left tackle is totally different. 

Eichenberg is ready day 1. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Eichenberg is ready day 1. 

From what I read, he’s ready to start Day one at right tackle and might need a year there before he moves over.   

I like him, but I think he might be a very high floor, but not very high ceiling prospect for LT.   

Still doing homework, and open to changing my view, but that’s my position for now. 

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm having trouble technically posting them,  but in this thread,  click on the DJ's top-50 list...   scan down and find his reviews of Eichenberg, who's in the late 40's.  Jenkins, who I think is 30,  and Radunz, who I think is in the early 40's...   read each profile.     At the end of each he calls them all prospects to play right tackle...   at least at the start of their career, and maybe their whole career.    Most guys who can play the right side, can't play the left for a variety of reasons...

But take a look on your own and see what he says...

• Thanks 2

Eichenberg may be a Round 2-3 guy from what I saw on the CBS site, plus he wasn't in the first round of several mock drafts I've seen. Maybe we could get our tackle in the second round.

I'm sure it's possible Ballard will spend money on a free agent tackle, but I hope he uses that money at defensive end (Lawson) or corner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trey Hendrickson- DE-Saints- 13.5 sacks last year, 26 years of age,wont break the bank because last season was first big year so some will back off because havent seen enough. Saints in cap h*ll and cant keep him. Perfect fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, James said:

Sign a top class Williams for two or three years (if three years make the structure so that the third year favours the Colts.). Offensive and defensive line by far the most important.

Draft an OT early in round 2-4 and let that guy develop and take over in  a couple years. 

When Williams’ contract is up Nelson’s 5th year option is done, and he’ll get his new deal. Same with Braden. 
If it’s three year deal for Williams they could get out of it with an aforementioned favourable structure. 

We don't get a 5th yr option on Smith, so he will have to be signed a yr earlier than Big Q.     If I am understanding you correctly.

1 hour ago, BluesGirl said:

We don't get a 5th yr option on Smith, so he will have to be signed a yr earlier than Big Q.     If I am understanding you correctly.

Correct. Only 1st round picks get the 5th year option, so Braden's extension will most likely come before Q's.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea Samuel isn’t getting 6 or 7 a year. He is likely to get a 3 year 30-33 mil type deal. 

Yes.

I read somewhere Raiders would offer Nelson 2/15 which is why I said 2/16.

I'm not 100% on Agholor projection 

12 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Yes.

I read somewhere Raiders would offer Nelson 2/15 which is why I said 2/16.

I'm not 100% on Agholor projection 

Yea definitely will be hard to tell this year. I’m just not a fan of his personally. Had a better year on the outside last year but still just not worth the money in my eyes. 

• Like 1

Quinton Dunbar. Similar to Rhodes last year with Gannon, he played for our new DB's coach in Washington. He also fits the length and physicality requirements for our scheme. 

Breeland fits that description too, BTW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bring Ryan Kerrigan back home again to Indiana.  Don't see the Colts resigning Houston and Kerrigan wants a chance to still start and proved he still has enough game left in him plus it shouldn't take much to sign Kerrigan (imo 3.5m/yr).

• Thanks 1

I’m guessing FA will be a corner or a WR. Who, I don’t know . 

if we go OL, the dude from Pittsburgh would be my top choice with the young kid from the Ravens that wants out of there a close second

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m guessing FA will be a corner or a WR. Who, I don’t know . 

if we go OL, the dude from Pittsburgh would be my top choice with the young kid from the Ravens that wants out of there a close second

The young dude from Ravens would have to be traded 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

The young dude from Ravens would have to be traded 

That’s right, I forgot what that situation was. Its been a long day. 

• Thanks 1

I have to say I've read a number of articles where the writers are predicting where the best fits are for some of the top free agents.  Another one today where they are placing J. Clowney with the Colts.  This fit with Clowney is being mentioned quite frequently.  Today's article mentioned we tried to get him last year but he went to the Titans.  They feel he fits our scheme perfectly and is still only 28 years old.  Great setting the edge and next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I believe he signed a one year deal last year for 12M.  Maybe Ballard gets him this time.  

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to say I've read a number of articles where the writers are predicting where the best fits are for some of the top free agents.  Another one today where they are placing J. Clowney with the Colts.  This fit with Clowney is being mentioned quite frequently.  Today's article mentioned we tried to get him last year but he went to the Titans.  They feel he fits our scheme perfectly and is still only 28 years old.  Great setting the edge and next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I believe he signed a one year deal last year for 12M.  Maybe Ballard gets him this time.  

I really hope not 

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I continuously see the same and the benefit is Ballard could get him for cheap. 6 or 7 per year. I would assume a 1 year low dollar prove it deal. But you need additional help because this guy can’t play 16 games. 

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I continuously see the same and the benefit is Ballard could get him for cheap. 6 or 7 per year. I would assume a 1 year low dollar prove it deal. But you need additional help because this guy can’t play 16 games. 

I don't think he would go that low.  He was one of the last ER's to sign last year and he did get 12M. So 6 or 7 would be one heck of a drop which I don't see happening.  He is ranked one of the top FA's available ahead of Hendrickson and Yannick N. and the ER from Detroit.  One year deal most likely but I would rather see two years like we did with Houston.  I could see 10M per like Houston.  He would be in a rotation here so that might reduce the chances of injury.  16 now 17 games without injury is going to be a challenge for many linemen who are getting abused every play they are out there and as the pileups mount.  The analysts love his fit in our system and Ballard saw it as well.  This could be the year he gets him. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think he would go that low.  He was one of the last ER's to sign last year and he did get 12M. So 6 or 7 would be one heck of a drop which I don't see happening.  He is ranked one of the top FA's available ahead of Hendrickson and Yannick N. and the ER from Detroit.  One year deal most likely but I would rather see two years like we did with Houston.  I could see 10M per like Houston.  He would be in a rotation here so that might reduce the chances of injury.  16 now 17 games without injury is going to be a challenge for many linemen who are getting abused every play they are out there and as the pileups mount.  The analysts love his fit in our system and Ballard saw it as well.  This could be the year he gets him. 

He might not go that low but he signed for 12 and didn’t produce a single sack. That hurts his value. Personally I don’t want anything to do with him but we might try again for a year or maybe even two. 

Here is a question for everyone.  The Bears are reportedly going all in on trading for Russell Wilson.  They could use draft capital to do so.  Would you be willing to do a tag and trade with the Bears giving up our 1st pick for Allen Robinson and then signing him to a long term deal like we did with Buckner?  That would give them another 1st to use in the trade for Wilson and we would get our new WR1 for Wentz.  Realistically I am not expecting Robinson to hit FA so this would be the way to get him.  Would Ballard entertain such a trade? 

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here is a question for everyone.  The Bears are reportedly going all in on trading for Russell Wilson.  They could use draft capital to do so.  Would you be willing to do a tag and trade with the Bears giving up our 1st pick for Allen Robinson and then signing him to a long term deal like we did with Buckner?  That would give them another 1st to use in the trade for Wilson and we would get our new WR1 for Wentz.  Realistically I am not expecting Robinson to hit FA so this would be the way to get him.  Would Ballard entertain such a trade? 

No

He's projected 18 per

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

No

He's projected 18 per

I get a kick out of how so many worry about the cap hit.  That cap hit can be effected by the amount of guaranteed money and signing bonus.  That 18 is only a projection.  With a reduced cap there is only so much a team can afford.  The agents know that. The time to sign these guys is now when the cap is constrained.  Next year the cap will jump and everyone will want bigger contracts.  18, if that's the number, will seem like a bargain in short order.   WR is a major need along with ER.  Ballard will address LT but we could survive with an average LT like Haag if we had too.  Veldeeher looked good enough.  We could always move Q as well or draft a LT in the second rd.  Lots of ways to plug that hole.  Trading our 1st for a young WR1 is not a bad way to go and signing a FA ER fills two major holes.  Not saying it's going to happen but I would guess it has been discussed along with a number of other choices.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I get a kick out of how so many worry about the cap hit.  That cap hit can be effected by the amount of guaranteed money and signing bonus.  That 18 is only a projection.  With a reduced cap there is only so much a team can afford.  The agents know that. The time to sign these guys is now when the cap is constrained.  Next year the cap will jump and everyone will want bigger contracts.  18, if that's the number, will seem like a bargain in short order.   WR is a major need along with ER.  Ballard will address LT but we could survive with an average LT like Haag if we had too.  Veldeeher looked good enough.  We could always move Q as well or draft a LT in the second rd.  Lots of ways to plug that hole.  Trading our 1st for a young WR1 is not a bad way to go and signing a FA ER fills two major holes.  Not saying it's going to happen but I would guess it has been discussed along with a number of other choices.  

I've never been a fan of paying top dollar to a WR. Chances are high Ballard will get outbid on AR if he makes the open market.

• 2 weeks later...