Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper 2021 Mock Draft: Colts get a pass rusher


Recommended Posts

Here's Mel Kiper's new mock draft:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30957145/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-mac-jones-trey-lance-three-trades

 

The Colts' pick:

Quote

 

21. Indianapolis Colts - Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami

The Colts would probably love to get a tackle to replace the retired Anthony Costanzo, but I don't see a great fit based on my rankings. (They could solve the issue by kicking All-Pro guard Quenton Nelson outside.) Instead they can address their pass rush and get younger with Justin Houston likely leaving in free agency. Rousseau, who opted out of the 2020 season, had 15.5 sacks in 2019, though he's still raw. I'm interested in seeing his testing numbers at his pro day next month. Indianapolis should have a few options to take its preferred edge rusher here because the class lacks elite prospects.

 

 

Some interesting moves/picks:

- Atlanta moves to 2 to pick Zach Wilson

- Jets pick Kyle Pitts at 4

- 49ers trade up to 7 for Justin Fields

- Carolina pick Mac Jones at no. 8

- Pats trade up to no. 9 for Trey Lance

- Caleb Farley falls to 15 to the Broncos

- Kadarius Toney goes no. 20 to the Bears

- Colts pick Gregory Rousseau with Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips still on the board

- Landon Dickerson still goes R1 (to the Steelers(24) despite his injury

- Walker Little sneaks into R1 to the Chiefs

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • stitches changed the title to Mel Kiper 2021 Mock Draft: Colts get a pass rusher
9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's Mel Kiper's new mock draft:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30957145/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-mac-jones-trey-lance-three-trades

 

The Colts' pick:

 

Some interesting moves/picks:

- Atlanta moves to 2 to pick Zach Wilson

- Jets pick Kyle Pitts at 4

- 49ers trade up to 7 for Justin Fields

- Carolina pick Mac Jones at no. 8

- Pats trade up to no. 9 for Trey Lance

- Caleb Farley falls to 15 to the Broncos

- Kadarius Toney goes no. 20 to the Bears

- Colts pick Gregory Rousseau with Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips still on the board

- Landon Dickerson still goes R1 (to the Steelers(24) despite his injury

- Walker Little sneaks into R1 to the Chiefs

 

 

"Rousseau, who opted out of the 2020 season, had 15.5 sacks in 2019, though he's still raw."

 

I'm not a draft guy and I don't pretend to be one, but when I see "HE DIDNT PLAY LAST YEAR", that's a bit of a red flag for the first round pick.  (and he's raw, way to really sell the pick.. lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitches said:

Carolina pick Mac Jones at no. 8

This will not surprise me in the least.  Carolina had a chance to work with Mac Jones at the Senior Bowl.  I'm sure they came away impressed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I have watched Rousseau...the more I am not sure. He's very raw...and doesn't seem to really show any pass rushing moves. And lots of those sacks seem to be coverage sacks.

 

He's athletic no doubt...but I don't really see the bend you would want in an EDGE.

 

A lot of his sacks come from the interior where he just runs past some slow college-level OG. The versatility is a good thing...but it's going to be more difficult to win like that against NFL OL talent.

 

He seems very strong though. And he uses that to disengage from a block and his length to make a play on the ball carrier.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's Mel Kiper's new mock draft:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30957145/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-mac-jones-trey-lance-three-trades

 

The Colts' pick:

 

Some interesting moves/picks:

- Atlanta moves to 2 to pick Zach Wilson

- Jets pick Kyle Pitts at 4

- 49ers trade up to 7 for Justin Fields

- Carolina pick Mac Jones at no. 8

- Pats trade up to no. 9 for Trey Lance

- Caleb Farley falls to 15 to the Broncos

- Kadarius Toney goes no. 20 to the Bears

- Colts pick Gregory Rousseau with Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips still on the board

- Landon Dickerson still goes R1 (to the Steelers(24) despite his injury

- Walker Little sneaks into R1 to the Chiefs

 

 

 

I don't think I see them taking an EDGE in the 1st round...but if they did...I don't see Ballard passing on Paye for Rousseau. 

 

Paye just seems like a much more refined prospect. He has pass rushing moves and really good hand usage. Plus, a very strong motor.

 

He is also supposed to be an athletic freak...but I want to see how he tests...because I don't think he moves as well as his former teammate, Rashan Gary.

 

I think Paye would be a great fit for the 4-3. Sort of like a better version of what they had hoped Lewis would be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

I don't think I see them taking an EDGE in the 1st round...but if they did...I don't see Ballard passing on Paye for Rousseau. 

 

Paye just seems like a much more refined prospect. He has pass rushing moves and really good hand usage. Plus, a very strong motor.

 

He is also supposed to be an athletic freak...but I want to see how he tests...because I don't think he moves as well as his former teammate, Rashan Gary.

 

I think Paye would be a great fit for the 4-3. Sort of like a better version of what they had hoped Lewis would be.

The reports about Paye are that he ran 6.38 3cone at 6'4" 270lbs(which would be second best 3cone time of all time by any position player at the combine). Rumors are there is a video of it and he might be sending it to select teams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

The reports about Paye are that he ran 6.38 3cone at 6'4" 270lbs(which would be second best 3cone time of all time by any position player at the combine). Rumors are there is a video of it and he might be sending it to select teams. 

If that’s true and gets validated then he will be a top pick for sure. That’s freak athleticism for his size. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

If that’s true and gets validated then he will be a top pick for sure. That’s freak athleticism for his size. 

Seems like the video is out there already... 

 

 

Go to 1:16:06

 

No idea how they will verify it frame by frame but oh well... either way... he looks incredibly impressive moving and bending. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

No more "raw" DEs please, no matter what the ceiling might be.

 

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see ATL and NYJ swap picks.

That's easier said than done. If an edge prospect is extremely athletic, but lacks technical prowess, we call him "raw. If he's got technical prowess, but lacks athleticism, he's usually a "high floor, low ceiling" guy. If he's athletic and has technical prowess, he's a top 5-10 draft pick.

 

If we're drafting an edge rusher, there's going to be some give either way. Most teams tend to lean towards drafting the guy with the physical tools with the mindset that you can teach technique, but you can't teach the athletic traits. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an edge rusher that's considered "raw" that you think can be coached on technique.

 

Our recent track record isn't the best, but Turay's biggest issue has been recovery from his injury. Lewis was drafted as a DE/3T tweener, which wasn't the best idea, but he looked better last season. Banogu was drafted as a DE/off-ball LB, which IMO was just a bad draft pick. As long as we're not spending a 1st round pick on a raw edge rusher, I'm ok with it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitches said:

The reports about Paye are that he ran 6.38 3cone at 6'4" 270lbs(which would be second best 3cone time of all time by any position player at the combine). Rumors are there is a video of it and he might be sending it to select teams. 

 

Want to see it to believe it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

Want to see it to believe it.

Posted the video above. I don't know how to verify the time is real. 

 

 

People on twitter posting their timing of the said video... times vary between 6.31 and 6.71 ... even if you take the upper limit it's still incredibly impressive. BUT... no idea if the video is frame by frame vetted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Seems like the video is out there already... 

 

 

Go to 1:16:06

 

No idea how they will verify it frame by frame but oh well... either way... he looks incredibly impressive moving and bending. 

And he did it at nearly 280!! Wow. He wants to get down to 260 so he should have a little quicker step. That’s just impressive. Thank you for the video. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting indeed. I would have definitely taken Paye in this case. I just find it fascinating each year with the holes that the Colts have on their roster and how each year Ballard seems to fill a good amount of them via re-signs and "smaller" free agent acquisitions. Because us armchair GM's find it easy by picking certain positions via Free Agency and then support our missing pieces via the draft. Too easy for us haha.

 

With that being said, if Ballard doesn't get an LT via free agent, I see no way he passes up an LT early in the draft (1st or 2nd round). Which leaves us wondering like kids at Christmas what that other position is going to be picked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Paye is still on the board at 21, it would be difficult to pass on 

 

We REALLY need a LT....  We REALLY need a DE

 

We need these more than other spots of need (TE, CB) IMHO 

 

If Paye is there, Id take him, then work (via trade) to get the 54th pick into the 40's to get a starting caliber LT

 

Paye seems ready to play today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shive said:

That's easier said than done. If an edge prospect is extremely athletic, but lacks technical prowess, we call him "raw. If he's got technical prowess, but lacks athleticism, he's usually a "high floor, low ceiling" guy. If he's athletic and has technical prowess, he's a top 5-10 draft pick.

 

If we're drafting an edge rusher, there's going to be some give either way. Most teams tend to lean towards drafting the guy with the physical tools with the mindset that you can teach technique, but you can't teach the athletic traits. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an edge rusher that's considered "raw" that you think can be coached on technique.

 

Our recent track record isn't the best, but Turay's biggest issue has been recovery from his injury. Lewis was drafted as a DE/3T tweener, which wasn't the best idea, but he looked better last season. Banogu was drafted as a DE/off-ball LB, which IMO was just a bad draft pick. As long as we're not spending a 1st round pick on a raw edge rusher, I'm ok with it.

Turay has had 2 good games against bad OTs in his career.  All other games he's been avaerage.  No more "raw" DEs with upside please.  At least not before the 4th or 5th round.  Take players who can actually play in rounds 1 through 3.

 

All of the DEs and DTs Ballard has drafted should not have been taken before round 4, with Grover being the best, and who was taken in round 4 (Or 5). 

 

And he did not draft Buckner, he traded for a known quantity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • There is speculation that the Eagles are interested in Watson. I thought that they were going with Hurts, but have to see how that works out. 
    • At this time of year, every year, all of us have created a draft board.  How we think the draft will fall out.  Most of us also have a selection of players from that draft board that are the ones they especially like.  These are My Guys. I would like to issue a challenge.  Go back through your records for every year, and find:  A - your best draft prospect, B - your worst draft prospect, C - any of your prospects the Colts took, D - a late round prospect of yours that blossomed.   I'll start out with mine:   2015 Best - Andrus Peat, T, Stanford (Saints #13 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn (undrafted, went nowhere) Colts - Zack Hodges, OLB, Harvard (UFA, didn't stick) Late - Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana (Falcons #73) 2016 Best - Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio St (Cowboys #4 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Su'a Cravens, S, USC Colts - Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama (Colts #18 overall) Late - Joe Schoebert, LB, Wisconsin (Browns #99, pro bowl) 2017 Best - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson (Texans #12, 3 pro bowls) Worst - tie John Ross, WR, Ohio St / Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama Colts - none Late - Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (Chargers #71 overall) 2018 Best - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame (#6 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Arden Key, DE, LSU Colts - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame Late - Kyzir White, S/LB, West Virginia 2019 Best - AJ Brown, WR, Mississippi Worst - Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson Colts - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple / Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St Late - Terry McLauren, WR, Ohio St 2020 Best - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma Worst - Denzell Mims, WR, Baylor / Calvin Throckmorton, T, Oregon Colts - none Late - too soon to call
    • I think the Rams over paid but it’s still a win win for both sides. If the Rams get back to the SB it will be worth it, even a couple NFC championship games would justify the trade...if they win a championship it will definitely be worth it.  Detroit now has the ammo to help build a playoff contender. They won’t bc it’s Detroit lol but it was still a good trade by them. One of the few QB trades you see where both teams will probably come out ahead.    When I compare it to the Wentz trade, Ballard took the Eagles to the cleaners and got the better of the two QBs they had. Interested to see what Sirriani can do with Hurts.  That kid seems to be a class act. The way he handled being replaced by Tua was professional in every way.  I remember the reporter asking him 3min after the championship game vs Georgia ended how he felt being replaced and seeing Tua go out there and bring the team back.  I thought it was slimy to ask that question at that moment(should have waited until the press conference and let the kid celebrate with his team) and Hurts handled it with class. Stayed for another year, came in and I believe won the SEC championship for Bama then transferred after he graduated. I’m rooting for the guy and feel for him bc the Philly press and fans can be a bit harsh to say the least lol. 
    • At this point I wouldn't mind that. Seems like a good realistic scenario. Although... maybe Turner has moved up with his testing? 
  • Members

    • cjrulli

      cjrulli 136

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dusted

      dusted 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsva

      coltsva 1,774

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • luv_pony_express

      luv_pony_express 639

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 7,512

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dunk

      Dunk 48

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • shasta519

      shasta519 2,944

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jal8908

      jal8908 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WentzinRome

      WentzinRome 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • teganslaw

      teganslaw 432

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...