Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

Restructured Roster Bonus Contracts

Ryan Kelly, Grover Stewart, Jack Doyle, Kenny Moore II

 

FA Signings:

 

MLB Mychal Kendricks – Kendricks was once a top-five LB in the NFL.  Off-field insider trading has derailed his career along with 2019 injury.  He pleaded guilty and sentencing has been postponed yet again.  Federal guidelines suggest he could be sentenced to 30 to 37 months in prison, but his case has been postponed many times apparently until Kendricks ends his pro football career.  Washington signed Kendricks off the Seahawks practice squad on Dec. 21, 2020 signing a $1.05 million contract but only made prorated deal of just $123,529.

 

LT Trent Williams – Best LT to play the game period.  With signing Williams, the Colts focus on other areas of need in the draft.

LDE Derek Barnett – Assuming Eagle cut to save $10 million in cap space for 2021

QB Carson Wentz – Colts traded away this year’s Round 3 pick, so they need to hit on the first two.  Which again is why the Colts acquire Trent Williams.

 

Draft:

 

R1 CB Eric Stokes (Georgia) – Ran track and won state championships in 100 and 200 meters as a junior.  Excellent Man-to-Man cover

 

R2 WR D’Wayne Eskridge (Western Michigan) – Wins with speed and quick feet at LOS.  Vertical threat with solid route-running ability.  Hilton’s future replacement if not sooner.

 

R4 RDE Wyatt Hubert (Kansas St) – 6’3” 270 lb DE.  Had 93 pressures since 2019 is the 4th most in college since 2019. PFF earned 90.7 pass-rush grade.  The Colts like to deploy DEs who have the size to play on the interior. Ballard likes the idea of being able to draft DEs and kick them down to the 3-technique.  Autry was no different and see Hubert in the same mold of a player Ballard likes.  The goal of the Colts is simple to find guys who can beat OL off the ball, get in the backfield and wreak havoc and Hubert has that ability.

 

Teams in the NFL are starting to take notice of the true value of OL more it seems.  Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson, and the list goes on of quarterbacks getting sacked 30+ times a season.  Most teams double down on almost every other position except for the OL imo and the Colts are very fortunate to have one of the best OL units in the NFL.  The Colts have 3 OL that are pending FAs.  Both Green who is listed as the current LT and Clark at RT look to be on the way out and need replaced.  The Colts found an exceptional player last year in the draft with Pinter who has grown into many OL roles and still holds value at his original position of RT.  The next two additions of McCollum and Hermanns should continue to make the Colts OL a strong point for many years.  Ryan Kelly is already 28 years old and McCollum might end up as our future starter by early as 2023/2024 as Kelly could become a cap causality saving the Colts 10-12 million a year.

 

R5 C Ryan McCollum (Texas AM) – In 2020 allowed 0 sacks, 5 QB hits, 6 hurries and 11 pressures.  Ranked 32nd among centers.  Overall grade of 69.6 (69.4 run blocking and 64 pass blocking).  Projects as a capable starter. 

 

R6 OT Grant Hermanns (Purdue) Former HS state wrestling champion.  Moves very well fits well in pass pro but needs to improve run blocking.  Capable of playing both LT/RT.

 

R7 RB Gerrid Doaks (Cincy) – Local kid from Lawrence Central.  Outstanding in pass protection.  Injury history but flashes potential.  Quick and elusive.  Versatile RB2

 

QB Carson Wentz, Jacob Eason

RB Jonathan Taylor, Gerrid Doaks, Nyheim Hines, Jordan Wilkins

WR T.Y. Hilton, D’Wayne, Eskridge, Zach Pascal, DeMichael Harris

WR Michael Pitman Jr., Ashton Dulin, J.J. Nelson, Quartney Davis

WR Parris Campbell, Dezmon Patmon, Gary Jennings

TE Jack Doyle, Trey Burton, Mo Alie-Cox, Noah Togiai

LT Trent Williams, Grant Hermanns

LG Quenton Nelson, Joey Hunt

C Ryan Kelly, Ryan McCollum

RG Mark Glowinski, Jake Eldrenkamp

RT Branden Smith, Danny Pinter, Will Holden

 

LDE Derek Barnett, Ben Banogu, Kemoko Turay

LDT DeForest Buckner, Tyquan Lewis

RDT Grover Stewart, Taylor Stallworth

RDE Al-Quadin Muhammad, Wyatt Hubert

WLB Darius Leonard, Matthew Adams

MLB Mychal Kendricks, Zaire Franklin, Jordan Glasgow

SLB Bobby Okereke, E.J. Speed

LCB Eric Stokes, Rock Ya-Sin, Kenny Moore II, Isaiah Rogers

SS Khari Willis, Tavon Wilson, Rolan Miligan

FS Julian Blackmon, George Odum, Ibraheim Campbell

RCB Xavier Rhodes, T.J. Carrie, Marvell Tell III, Tremon Smith

 

Feel this is much closer to a possibility and answers areas of need with room to improve.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams isn't the best LT in the game and we're not using half the cap space on 4 OL, he's not coming here

 

Eric Stokes isn't a first rounder and his best trait is certainly not man coverage...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

You are officially the first to have Eric Stokes as a first rounder. Curious as to why? I have seen nothing but late 2nd or early 3rd for him so far. 

 

The closer we get to the draft expect Stokes to climb up the draft board.  Many outlets are also starting to take notice of Stokes and move him up already.  Stokes is very physical and his pass coverage was elite in 2020 and even better in the red zone coverage. In the pass happy NFL teams will be looking for players like Stokes where his press coverage led to more elite analytical stats that any other prospects.  Stokes had better stats than even Surtain giving up only 0.51 yards per season.  Like the Rock needs to clean up some of his aggressive penalties.  Stokes is also one of the better blitzes in this draft class.  As for tackling he is great at wrapping up receivers and runners alike.  Stokes has the measurement's Ballard prefers.  Stokes is currently being projected to be a late first early second round pick and has the potential to be the best cornerback in this year's draft class.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting

 

This fills some holes, BUT....

 

From the numerous mock drafts Stokes seems like a early to mid 2nd round pick.

 

If he was their "guy" I would imagine that he would trade 21 and get a later 1st or early 2nd along with a 3rd round

 

I truly think they will use the 21st pick (or the results of a trade of this pick to get an OT)

 

This is supposedly a good draft for LTs.... we need a LT....  Some of these guys can start right away.

 

As mentioned, with Q and Smith going to get paid decent cash, along with Kelly already getting big $, you will tie too much $ up on the line. Its my belief that we need the rookie contract at LT to not strap the Colts in future years.

 

The receiver that you picked in the second is 5' 9" ... fast as lightning, but the receivers on the Colts need to be involved in the run game.  He would appear to be too small to be effective. I also think this team is in DIRE need of a playmaking TE

 

Thanks for posting

 

Always good to read

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

 

The closer we get to the draft expect Stokes to climb up the draft board.  Many outlets are also starting to take notice of Stokes and move him up already.  Stokes is very physical and his pass coverage was elite in 2020 and even better in the red zone coverage. In the pass happy NFL teams will be looking for players like Stokes where his press coverage led to more elite analytical stats that any other prospects.  Stokes had better stats than even Surtain giving up only 0.51 yards per season.  Like the Rock needs to clean up some of his aggressive penalties.  Stokes is also one of the better blitzes in this draft class.  As for tackling he is great at wrapping up receivers and runners alike.  Stokes has the measurement's Ballard prefers.  Stokes is currently being projected to be a late first early second round pick and has the potential to be the best cornerback in this year's draft class.

I am not saying Stokes isn’t talented but post links for these claims because I have not seen anything mentioning him coming close to the first round. Again, not saying you are wrong but post links. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for posting

 

This fills some holes, BUT....

 

From the numerous mock drafts Stokes seems like a early to mid 2nd round pick.

 

If he was their "guy" I would imagine that he would trade 21 and get a later 1st or early 2nd along with a 3rd round

 

I truly think they will use the 21st pick (or the results of a trade of this pick to get an OT)

 

This is supposedly a good draft for LTs.... we need a LT....  Some of these guys can start right away.

 

As mentioned, with Q and Smith going to get paid decent cash, along with Kelly already getting big $, you will tie too much $ up on the line. Its my belief that we need the rookie contract at LT to not strap the Colts in future years.

 

The receiver that you picked in the second is 5' 9" ... fast as lightning, but the receivers on the Colts need to be involved in the run game.  He would appear to be too small to be effective. I also think this team is in DIRE need of a playmaking TE

 

Thanks for posting

 

Always good to read

 

 

I agree 100% about not signing a LT in FA. If we do it will be for depth and low dollar. We need a rookie contract there. Our first pick will always for sure be a LT as well IMO. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree 100% about not signing a LT in FA. If we do it will be for depth and low dollar. We need a rookie contract there. Our first pick will always for sure be a LT as well IMO. 


i think it’s very important that we invest in a FA backup tackle to go with Holden.   A low profile, under the radar player for quality depth. 
 

If we’re drafting our future starting LT,  I don’t want to also spend a quality pick for quality depth.   The kid won’t be ready and too many assets would be invested in one area.   Normally that wouldn’t bother me, but this year we have too many pressing needs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


i think it’s very important that we invest in a FA backup tackle to go with Holden.   A low profile, under the radar player for quality depth. 
 

If we’re drafting our future starting LT,  I don’t want to also spend a quality pick for quality depth.   The kid won’t be ready and too many assets would be invested in one area.   Normally that wouldn’t bother me, but this year we have too many pressing needs. 

I think it depends on the draft class. From the scouting I've done so far I see a few options that could be there for us at 21 at tackle that could start day one and be solid and only improve in the future.

 

I don't see any pass rushers or corners so far that would be good year 1 in the 2021 draft. Everyone that falls to us would need to develop. Ballard has already taken 3 defensive linemen in the 2nd round and 2 corners in the 2nd round and none of them have developed quickly.

 

Braden Smith was ready season 1 and probably would have been ready day 1 if given the chance. Not saying this is always the case, but I believe that's how it is going to be this year.

 

I think we need to find pass rushers and corners in free agency that are proven if we want to be a super bowl team and not rely on another rookie pass rusher or corner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I think it depends on the draft class. From the scouting I've done so far I see a few options that could be there for us at 21 at tackle that could start day one and be solid and only improve in the future.

 

I don't see any pass rushers or corners so far that would be good year 1 in the 2021 draft. Everyone that falls to us would need to develop. Ballard has already taken 3 defensive linemen in the 2nd round and 2 corners in the 2nd round and none of them have developed quickly.

 

Braden Smith was ready season 1 and probably would have been ready day 1 if given the chance. Not saying this is always the case, but I believe that's how it is going to be this year.

 

I think we need to find pass rushers and corners in free agency that are proven if we want to be a super bowl team and not rely on another rookie pass rusher or corner. 

I’m not talking about a starting tackle.   I’m fine with that.

 

Im talking about spending a 5 on a tackle to be a primary backup.  That guy, whoever it is, is not going to be ready to step in and start if the need arises.   That’s why I want to find an inexpensive veteran who can fill in for a few weeks if need be.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not talking about a starting tackle.   I’m fine with that.

 

Im talking about spending a 5 on a tackle to be a primary backup.  That guy, whoever it is, is not going to be ready to step in and start if the need arises.   That’s why I want to find an inexpensive veteran who can fill in for a few weeks if need be.   

Sorry my mistake. Didn't read it right.

 

I liked Will Holden in limited action, but I agree we definitely need more than just him as an backup option.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree 100% about not signing a LT in FA. If we do it will be for depth and low dollar. We need a rookie contract there. Our first pick will always for sure be a LT as well IMO. 

The more I read/see about Darrisaw, I think he's the way to go and lock that spot down for another decade. We have to go for a rookie there. Use the money on a defensive end in free agency.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Sorry my mistake. Didn't read it right.

 

I liked Will Holden in limited action, but I agree we definitely need more than just him as an backup option.

Thnx...   No worries...    if I had a dollar for every post I didn’t read quite right, I’d be rich!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

The more I read/see about Darrisaw, I think he's the way to go and lock that spot down for another decade. We have to go for a rookie there. Use the money on a defensive end in free agency.

I also have been very high on Darrisaw as well and would love to see the Colts draft him.  Said it before and with Sewell taking the year off was hoping to see the two of them compete at the combine, I really wouldn't been shocked to see Darrisaw get taken before Sewell.  Also have similar gut feelings about where the Colts are drafting and a good Day 1 starting LT being available for the Colts later in Round 1 am just not buying it.

 

20 hours ago, tvturner said:

Williams isn't the best LT in the game and we're not using half the cap space on 4 OL, he's not coming here

 

Eric Stokes isn't a first rounder and his best trait is certainly not man coverage...

 

With Williams guess its just a difference in opinion and will respect yours but Williams to me is the best available LT in FA.  We have the cap space to sign Williams that was never an argument.   Like I mentioned in original thread that Kelly is probably only going to be here another 2-3 years.  If Kelly remains healthy possibly longer but with his contract structured the way it is the Colts could cut Kelly and save over $10 million in 2023 and if remember correct $12 million in 2024.  The biggest concern we have seen in the past is not having a quality backup at center and McCollum is an intriguing prospect I think the Colts might be interested in.  Pinter probably could play center and manage.  If Glowinski was out for a long timer could see Smith move back over and Pinter at RT.  Lack of depth at LG for Nelson might still be questionable but at least with the suggested model  above the Colts replenish lost players on the OL and add players would should be able to take over when required.

 

Luckily in 2022 the only big players the Colts will have to really focus on resigning are Hines, Nelson, Leonard, and Smith and we have plenty of capital to resign each of them next year.  Glowinski to me is the wild card of the group.  By 2023 currently have only 9 players to resign of which Willis, Okereke, Rock, and Campbell will cost us but still at this point none will break the bank.  In 2024 that will be more costly but still the Colts are in great shape financially.

 

Besides look at the Saints, Rams, and TB Bucs as great examples of teams betting the farm on win now attitudes.  To be really honest am tempering my expectations of Wentz given his history going from starter to bench/injury back to starter back to bench.  Luckily the Colts can cut bait on Wentz anytime in 2022 - 2024 recover $22-26 million in cap space and use that on a QB upgrade if things go south.

 

Biggest thing was trying to accomplish was secure major area of need both in the off-season and in the draft with these assumptions.  May not have the exact person identified but the positions of importance was more of a key factor.  Next year TE, WR, MLB/SLB, DE, DBs would be areas of need.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

The more I read/see about Darrisaw, I think he's the way to go and lock that spot down for another decade. We have to go for a rookie there. Use the money on a defensive end in free agency.

I like Darrisaw a lot as well. If he was there at 21 then yes I would draft him. I will say that lately he has moved up the board. He has learned and got better each year so playing in 2020 made him money for sure. Slater, Sewell, and Darrisaw are top 3 tackles to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...