Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Gist: I'm not blown away yet by this draft's DEs, so I opt to bring back a couple of our own and choose to attempt to gain more draft picks and choose a balance of some of the best talent available and addressing needs. And I choose quality over quantity with free agency. With major needs at WR, OT, and CB, we use the rest of the off-season to reload with young talent and depth.

Re-sign

Houston- DE

Muhammed- DE

Allie-Cox- TE

Pascal- WR

Carrie- CB

Hunt- C

Odum- S

Let Walk

Hilton :(

Rhodes

Walker

Hooker

Mack

Sign

Chris Godwin- WR

Draft Trade

Colts trade Picks (21) and (54) to Miami for picks (36), (50), (82), (124). 

The logic: I can see us wanting more picks after the Wentz trade and perhaps Miami would like to have 3 first round picks. In this scenario they would even get to keep a 2nd round pick as well, all just for the cost of 2nd round positioning and their 3rd and 4th rounders.

Draft

2a. (36)- Greg Newsome III- (CB)- Newsome and Zaven Collins are my current draft crushes. He is a riser but I hope he can still be there after a trade back. I think he can be a lockdown guy.

2b. (50)‐ Liam Eichenberg- (OT)- An apparent forum favorite and I can see why. I think he'll be solid, but definitely has upside to be great.

3. (82)- Jayson Oweh- (DE)- Cutting it close on this one, but I think a if he is gone a comparable DE will be there. Even with re-signing Houston and Muhammed I think the Colts should keep looking for pass rushers to develop.

4a. (124)‐ Baron Browning- (LB)- I swear this wasn't just because his name is cool. Definitely like his potential, possibly a solid replacement for Walker

4b. (128)‐ Dazz Newsome‐ (WR)- With T.Y. gone and with the uncertainty of Campbell, Ballard decides to add another fast, explosive playmaker to ensure the role has options.

5. (167)‐ Elijah Mitchell- (RB)- The ideal late round flyer. He has that every-down prototype, but he has to prove it. I like him as someone to compete for reps in relieving Taylor.

6. (209)- Quentin Morris- (TE)- Late round guy with receiving potential.

7. (?)- Jalen McKenizie‐ (G/OT)- Just some late round developmental O-line depth since we are likely losing some too.

Roster (Not full 53)- Bolded are new additions

QB: Wentz, Eason

RB: Taylor, Hines, Mitchell, Wilkins

WR: Godwin, Pittman, Pascal, Campbell, Newsome, Patmon

TE: Doyle, Allie-Cox, Morris, Togiai

LT: Eichenberg, Holden

LG: Nelson, Pinter

C: Kelly, Hunt

RG: Glowinski, Eldrenkamp

RT: Smith, McKenzie

DT: Buckner, Stewart, Lewis, Windsor

DE: Houston, Turay, Oweh, Muhammed. Banogu

LB: Leonard, Okereke, Browning, Adams, Speed, Franklin

CB: Newsome III, Moore III, Ya-Sin, Tell, Carrie, Rodgers

S: Blackmon, Willis, Odum, Milligan

K: Blankenship

P: Sanchez

LS: Rhodes

Pros

-The offense is set-up well for Wentz. If he can't thrive here, then he isn't the guy.

-LT ideally solved long-term

-Gain a #1 WR

-I have faith Newsome (CB) can be special, giving us another piece to the championship defense. 

Cons

-No major step forward for our pass rush, relies on faith in further development and hope that Oweh can have an impact

-Lacks stars at TE or DE

-A lot of youth at DB, gotta hope for discipline and not a mountain of PI calls

• Like 1

Thanks for posting

Tough to do a mock draft with trades

I think there is a high probability for a trade unless less someone falls

The ND LT MIGHT be gone by pick 50, and he is your starter, If he is your guy, at such an important position, Id consider going that way with your initial pick in the second round

I actually think that if Darrisaw or Slater slide to pick 21, we will grab them. If they are gone, we trade the pick

Your mock fills quite a few holes but dont you think we need to upgrade TE?

5 hours ago, tvturner said:

Love the Dazz, Newsome, Browning and Eichenberg picks

Oweh is probably a first rounder or early second at the latest though and I think Godwin is getting tagged

Yeah, I'm inclined to think he could be gone too, but I have seen him go in the 3rd in rankings and DEs tend to be all over the place based on projections vs where they actually go on draft day. But it's a bit of wishful thinking. I don't think he goes in the first though.

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for posting

Tough to do a mock draft with trades

I think there is a high probability for a trade unless less someone falls

The ND LT MIGHT be gone by pick 50, and he is your starter, If he is your guy, at such an important position, Id consider going that way with your initial pick in the second round

I actually think that if Darrisaw or Slater slide to pick 21, we will grab them. If they are gone, we trade the pick

Your mock fills quite a few holes but dont you think we need to upgrade TE?

Yeah, I addressed the TE is the "cons" section. I just couldn't address it beyond finding a good developmental TE in the draft. There was just too much to address to do it all, and I was able to justify not making any significant improvements by the acquisition of Godwin. 

Though I do acknowledge getting Godwin is wishful thinking. Probably not gonna happen, but I also don't yet buy the narrative that Tampa is going to he able to keep all these guys and Godwin knows he would be due a big payday. But yeah, he most likely will be tagged.

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I actually really like this. I would add in a restructure for Kelley/Doyle, and sign a TE like Gerald Everett/Zach Ertz(if released).

Yeah, I'm excited to see what we actually do in free agency. I personally think a less expensive WR and TE might be more realistic than Godwin, but I just went for what I hope for. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, funktacious2 said:

Yeah, I'm excited to see what we actually do in free agency. I personally think a less expensive WR and TE might be more realistic than Godwin, but I just went for what I hope for. 

I agree with this. Grab a TE and you might spend 9+ mil a year vs some of these WR’s who will get 16+ mil a year. If we get Henry plus draft another good WR and let TY walk we have a solid nucleus. 

• Like 1