Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gavin Annual Mock Draft 2021 Round 4


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

quick update, wife is doing much better and while some side effects still linger, she's up and moving and even voluntarily went back to work after her doctor approved it.

Before this wraps up I wanna say thank you to @chad72for an outstanding mock draft commissioner this year. He did an awesome job! And thank you to all those who helped as co-commissioners and particip

That last name got me like...

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

The real draft is April 29th, 2021.

 

So I would say that starting any mock after April 1st or 1st week would be best when most of the FA dust would have settled and most trades done prior to draft day, especially if one wants to do 7 rounds with compensatory picks.

 

Scheduled time is probably best but knowing our mock draft history, most picks would be chosen by the commish or be a PM pick that the commish would need to keep track of. It would most likely be best for 1 hour time frames and if you go from 7 am to 11 pm ET, it will give you half a round with 16 picks in a day with a 1 hour time frame. So, for 7 rounds, it would take about 15 days of work if you include compensatory picks.

 

It depends on my work schedule, I would need a LOT of help from others to make it work, more like about 5 commissioners and co-commissioners totally that can make themselves available on and off and it doesn't just fall on me or a 2nd person to do it all.

Here's what we did on another board a few years ago. Worked out pretty good.

  • 1 Round per evening
  • 2 windows each night... picks 1-16, and then 17-32 (I think it was 7p-8p and 9-10, but could have been 8-9 and 10-11). That way, guys new pretty much when they needed to be there, and only needed to pay attention for roughly an hour per day. Really not even that long. Also gave the mods some time between windows to tidy up.
  • 3 minute clock hence the "flash" term. If you miss a pick, you drop 5 spots (basically giving them an extra 15 minutes). If they missed it a second time, they get bumped to the end of the round and have up to an hour before the next days round starts. If they miss that, they get best player based on their primary needs. 
  • We had 3 threads going at once, and 3 moderators. One thread for the pick announcements and general comments, one with a constantly updated order and big board, and one to manage trades. The big board management was great in terms of keeping it going and checking off who is gone. We also published team needs, but I can't remember if we tracked it except for using it when folks missed their window.
  • Only trades allowed are pick for pick(s) so very little approval needed. No picks for existing players (We did the mock post FA fury, I think we started about 2 weeks prior to the draft).
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's what we did on another board a few years ago. Worked out pretty good.

  • 1 Round per evening
  • 2 windows each night... picks 1-16, and then 17-32 (I think it was 7p-8p and 9-10, but could have been 8-9 and 10-11). That way, guys new pretty much when they needed to be there, and only needed to pay attention for roughly an hour per day. Really not even that long. Also gave the mods some time between windows to tidy up.
  • 3 minute clock hence the "flash" term. If you miss a pick, you drop 5 spots (basically giving them an extra 15 minutes). If they missed it a second time, they get bumped to the end of the round and have up to an hour before the next days round starts. If they miss that, they get best player based on their primary needs. 
  • We had 3 threads going at once, and 3 moderators. One thread for the pick announcements and general comments, one with a constantly updated order and big board, and one to manage trades. The big board management was great in terms of keeping it going and checking off who is gone. We also published team needs, but I can't remember if we tracked it except for using it when folks missed their window.
  • Only trades allowed are pick for pick(s) so very little approval needed. No picks for existing players (We did the mock post FA fury, I think we started about 2 weeks prior to the draft).

 

That sounds good. 

 

I would be fine with 6-8 pm and 9-11 pm ET with a 5 minute window for picks, so 16 picks should be done in 120 minutes. It would be like the real draft starting Day 3, where they get only 5 minutes between picks. :) 

 

Would you have time around the beginning of April to help moderate this along with me? If it is a small window of time, it is a smaller time commitment on my front and yours, so I like this idea.

 

I can ask @NFLfan @csmopar and @danlhart87 again if they would be willing to make themselves available for those small windows of time thus giving us plenty of options. Let us bring this thread back up then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

That sounds good. 

 

I would be fine with 6-8 pm and 9-11 pm ET with a 5 minute window for picks, so 16 picks should be done in 120 minutes. It would be like the real draft starting Day 3, where they get only 5 minutes between picks. :) 

 

Would you have time around the beginning of April to help moderate this along with me? If it is a small window of time, it is a smaller time commitment on my front and yours, so I like this idea.

 

I can ask @NFLfan @csmopar and @danlhart87 again if they would be willing to make themselves available for those small windows of time thus giving us plenty of options. Let us bring this thread back up then.

I wouldn't start before 7pm. Anything before that makes it difficult for some to get home, do family dinner stuff, etc.

 

If you go 5min, I'd literally spell out draft windows for each team/GM. Like:

1. 7:00pm

2. 7:05pm

etc..

 

If you don't, 5 turns into 7, etc. and it all stretches. And when it stretches, attention meanders. Keep it tight, and also be quick/firm on bumping folks. 

 

I'd be happy to help. I'd recommend an actual mod for the big board / draft pick thread. What we did was lock the thread as read only, and the single OP post was just updated for every pick (so you're not constantly copy/pasting). I'm happy to do that if the mods want to give me temp edit privileges for locked threads. It's typically the hardest/busiest job. It's a constant monitor of the main pick thread and constant edit... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't start before 7pm. Anything before that makes it difficult for some to get home, do family dinner stuff, etc.

 

If you go 5min, I'd literally spell out draft windows for each team/GM. Like:

1. 7:00pm

2. 7:05pm

etc..

 

If you don't, 5 turns into 7, etc. and it all stretches. And when it stretches, attention meanders. Keep it tight, and also be quick/firm on bumping folks. 

 

I'd be happy to help. I'd recommend an actual mod for the big board / draft pick thread. What we did was lock the thread as read only, and the single OP post was just updated for every pick (so you're not constantly copy/pasting). I'm happy to do that if the mods want to give me temp edit privileges for locked threads. It's typically the hardest/busiest job. It's a constant monitor of the main pick thread and constant edit... 

I believe @NFLfan is one such mod, not sure if she'd be up for that or not but i definitely like the idea of it

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

That sounds good. 

 

I would be fine with 6-8 pm and 9-11 pm ET with a 5 minute window for picks, so 16 picks should be done in 120 minutes. It would be like the real draft starting Day 3, where they get only 5 minutes between picks. :) 

 

Would you have time around the beginning of April to help moderate this along with me? If it is a small window of time, it is a smaller time commitment on my front and yours, so I like this idea.

 

I can ask @NFLfan @csmopar and @danlhart87 again if they would be willing to make themselves available for those small windows of time thus giving us plenty of options. Let us bring this thread back up then.

potentially, all depends on when the wife pops and what those demands end up being. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@chad72 one other thing I'd strongly recommend considering, is having a lottery for the Colts (instead of first come first serve). I can't remember how we did it, but I know we gave everyone a chance. We did have several fans from other teams participating, and we made exceptions for them (since no one else had strong feelings about the teams they wanted). So for us, NFLFan would have the option for MN, some of the Charger fans could pick LAC, etc.. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

NFLFan would have the option for MN,

 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I believe @NFLfan is one such mod, not sure if she'd be up for that or not but i definitely like the idea of it

 

Thank you.  I will not play this year, but I can update the Big Board and the list of draftees. Is that all there is to it? Just alert me ahead of time. I work until 5 ET weekdays, except Wednesdays until 7, but I can make time if needed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

 

Thank you.  I will not play this year, but I can update the Big Board and the list of draftees. Is that all there is to it? Just alert me ahead of time. I work until 5 ET weekdays, except Wednesdays until 7, but I can make time if needed.

It's basically just monitoring one thread (general thread), then updating the big board and pick thread with every pick. So 32ish real time updates per night. Not hard, just tedious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's basically just monitoring one thread (general thread), then updating the big board and pick thread with every pick. So 32ish real time updates per night. Not hard, just tedious.

That's fine. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

@chad72 one other thing I'd strongly recommend considering, is having a lottery for the Colts (instead of first come first serve). I can't remember how we did it, but I know we gave everyone a chance. We did have several fans from other teams participating, and we made exceptions for them (since no one else had strong feelings about the teams they wanted). So for us, NFLFan would have the option for MN, some of the Charger fans could pick LAC, etc.. 

 

 

Would a randomizer work, once you get the list of participants, like I do for fantasy football for draft order? 

 

One idea would be to randomize 32 GMs in a List A. Then randomize 32 teams in List B. Match the 2 randomized lists 1 for 1, in sequence generated by the randomizer. Even if a GM is in there twice, the NFL team will be in the list only once, so there will still be enough randomization.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 10:39 PM, EastStreet said:

Yup. This was a good exercise to get folks thinking. I think the best time to do a board mock is a few weeks before the draft, after a lot of the FA dominos has tumbled. I almost did a flash mock last year the week before draft. Short clock, and perhaps scheduled windows

Yeah I agree. This 4 round mock took about a week and some change to complete if you take into account how long it took to sign everyone up. Start it maybe 2 weeks before the draft.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 9:30 PM, chad72 said:

 

Would a randomizer work, once you get the list of participants, like I do for fantasy football for draft order? 

 

One idea would be to randomize 32 GMs in a List A. Then randomize 32 teams in List B. Match the 2 randomized lists 1 for 1, in sequence generated by the randomizer. Even if a GM is in there twice, the NFL team will be in the list only once, so there will still be enough randomization.

 

I'd say divide everyone into two groups. Those who want a shot at the Colts, and those who want another team. If only one person wants another team, they get it. That way you at least have a few that are vested in non-Colts picking.

 

After you clear as many non-Colts folks as possible, do a lottery for everyone (lottery with team selection order).

 

Purely my opinion, but I think first come first serve hurts interest level. And I think it's important to try and be fair, but also match folks to a team they are interested in. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 10:59 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I agree. This 4 round mock took about a week and some change to complete if you take into account how long it took to sign everyone up. Start it maybe 2 weeks before the draft.

Yup. If you read the above discussion, I've shared the parameters we used in a past mock, that made things go much faster. I think the the key is to stick to evenings, keep a crisp/clean big board, shorten the clock, and more or less do a "schedule" for picks so everyone knows +/- 15 minutes when they have be available. The all day all week long clock stuff is just not conducive to keeping folks attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • w87r unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, EastStreet said:

Here's what we did on another board a few years ago. Worked out pretty good.

  • 1 Round per evening
  • 2 windows each night... picks 1-16, and then 17-32 (I think it was 7p-8p and 9-10, but could have been 8-9 and 10-11). That way, guys new pretty much when they needed to be there, and only needed to pay attention for roughly an hour per day. Really not even that long. Also gave the mods some time between windows to tidy up.
  • 3 minute clock hence the "flash" term. If you miss a pick, you drop 5 spots (basically giving them an extra 15 minutes). If they missed it a second time, they get bumped to the end of the round and have up to an hour before the next days round starts. If they miss that, they get best player based on their primary needs. 
  • We had 3 threads going at once, and 3 moderators. One thread for the pick announcements and general comments, one with a constantly updated order and big board, and one to manage trades. The big board management was great in terms of keeping it going and checking off who is gone. We also published team needs, but I can't remember if we tracked it except for using it when folks missed their window.
  • Only trades allowed are pick for pick(s) so very little approval needed. No picks for existing players (We did the mock post FA fury, I think we started about 2 weeks prior to the draft).


@EastStreet it’s time to maybe get something started??? :) 
 

Like courting GMs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

sounds good


Go ahead and provide a framework like you suggested.

 

Let me and @NFLfan know how and when we assist. Once you create the thread with your ideas that sounded good, I can jump in. 

 

All I request is that it be named the Gavin Mock Draft. Then @NFLfan or @w87r can pin the thread. If you have a pre-draft trade deadline in mind, let’s specify that as well. Might be hard to do it in a 3 or 5 minute window, best to have trades in place before the draft starts. Thanks 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Let me and @NFLfan know how and when we assist. Once you create the thread with your ideas that sounded good, I can jump in. 

 

I'm going to jump off in a minute or two.

 

This probably will not start today, right? Once there is a date for the Mock draft, let me know so that I can be prepared and be available the evenings when the mock draft is taking place. Thank you. 

@EastStreet

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chad72 said:


Go ahead and provide a framework like you suggested.

 

Let me and @NFLfan know how and when we assist. Once you create the thread with your ideas that sounded good, I can jump in. 

 

All I request is that it be named the Gavin Mock Draft. Then @NFLfan or @w87r can pin the thread. If you have a pre-draft trade deadline in mind, let’s specify that as well. Might be hard to do it in a 3 or 5 minute window, best to have trades in place before the draft starts. Thanks 

I'll put some thought into tonight during the game and get an introductory thread with rules, timeline, etc. in the next few days. 

As long as we have 3 guys running it, and at least one of those 3 with edit capability, should be pretty smooth.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

I'm going to jump off in a minute or two.

 

This probably will not start today, right? Once there is a date for the Mock draft, let me know so that I can be prepared and be available the evenings when the mock draft is taking place. Thank you. 

@EastStreet

It'll likely start this weekend or Monday IMO. We'll need to finalize rules, go through the GM process, and do some prep work (big board, draft order, team needs) on things that will help the mock go smooth.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, EastStreet said:

It'll likely start this weekend or Monday IMO. We'll need to finalize rules, go through the GM process, and do some prep work (big board, draft order, team needs) on things that will help the mock go smooth.

 

Reminder to let me know when you plan to do this. Should I assume that it will not start tonight? I don't see a new thread about it. 

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

 

Reminder to let me know when you plan to do this. Should I assume that it will not start tonight? I don't see a new thread about it. 

 

Thanks.

Will do. Been slammed this week. Working on a thread and email (to you two) now. Likely target starting Thu, Fri, or Sat. We still have plenty of time

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Will do. Been slammed this week. Working on a thread and email (to you two) now. Likely target starting Thu, Fri, or Sat. We still have plenty of time

 

Okay. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Second Round picks (Final)   33) Bengals (trade with Jacksonville Jaguars 7:00 @stitches. -- Micah Parsons  PENN STATE  6.89  LB     34) New York Jets @Archer -- Quinn Meinerz  WIS.-WHITEWATER   C   35) Atlanta Falcons @jvan1973 -- Levi Onwuzurike  WASHINGTON  DT  36) Miami Dolphins (from Houston Texans) 7:15@EastStreet -- Landon Dickerson  ALABAMA  C 37) Philadelphia Eagles 7:20 @Defjamz26  Eric Stokes  GEORGIA   CB  38) Jacksonville (trade Cincinnati Bengals) @chad72  Kadarius Toney  FLORIDA  6.36    WR     39) Carolina Panthers 7:30 @MPStack Creed Humphrey  OKLAHOMA   C 40) Denver Broncos 7:35@ColtsGermany  Zaven Collins  TULSA   41) Detroit Lions 7:50@RNGDShobby-- Jaelan Phillips  MIAMI (FLA.)  EDGE  42) New York Giants 7:55 @DiogoSales -- Payton Turner  HOUSTON   DE     43) San Francisco 49ers 8:00 @BProland85 -- Aaron Robinson  UCF    CB     44) Dallas Cowboys @luv_pony_express -- Joe Tryon  WASHINGTON   EDGE 45) Jacksonville Jaguars (from Minnesota Vikings) @chad72 -- Tommy Tremble  NOTRE DAME  TE   46) New England Patriots @Nickster -- Kyle Trask  FLORIDA  QB 47) Los Angeles Chargers @PRnum1 -- Jevon Holland  OREGON  6.25    SAF     48) Las Vegas Raiders Commissioner's pick@chad72 Ifeatu Melifonwu  SYRACUSE   CB 49) Arizona Cardinals 9:00@JoeThornburg Kendrick Green  ILLINOIS  G 50) Miami Dolphins 9:05.@EastStreet Rondale Moore  PURDUE     WR 51) Washington Football Team @Coltsman1788 -- Pat Freiermuth  PENN STATE    TE 52) Chicago Bears 9:15 Commissioner's pick @EastStreet Tyson Campbell  GEORGIA  CB 53) Tennessee Titans @Jared Cisneros Tylan Wallace  OKLAHOMA STATE  WR     54) Indianapolis Colts @WarGhost21 -- Greg Rousseau  MIAMI (FLA.)  EDGE  55) Pittsburgh Steelers @JoeThornburg -- Alex Leatherwood  ALABAMA   OT     56) Seattle Seahawks Commissioner's pick@EastStreet -- Boogie Basham  WAKE FOREST  6.29    DE   57) Los Angeles Rams 9:50. Commissioner's pick @chad72 Jamin Davis  KENTUCKY   LB   58) Baltimore Ravens 9:55. @JediXMan Joseph Ossai  TEXAS  EDGE   59) Cleveland Browns 10:00. @RNGDShobby Paulson Adebo  STANFORD  CB     60) New Orleans Saints 10:05. @SaturdayAllDay Nick Bolton  MISSOURI  6.33    LB     61) Buffalo Bills 10:10. Commissioner's pick @EastStreetChris Rumph Ii  DUKE  EDGE   62) Green Bay Packers 10:15. @DiogoSales Nico Collins  MICHIGAN   WR  63) Tennessee Titans (from KC) 10:20. @Jared Cisneros Asante Samuel Jr.  FLORIDA STATE  CB  64) Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10:25. @jvan1973  Aaron Banks  NOTRE DAME  6.29    G  
    • Its raining stupid up in here where's my dumbrella .
    • Updated list of Picks traded Third round: #65 Chiefs (from Jaguars) #79 Giants (from Raiders) #80 Giants (from Raiders) #91 Colts (from Browns) #92 Jacksonville (from GB) #94 Jacksonville (from Kansas City) #100 Jacksonville (via trade with Kansas City from Titans)   4th round and later #106 Green Bay (from Jacksonville) #111 Jacksonville (from Bengals) #116 Raiders (from Giants)   $136 Jacksonville (from Kansas City)   #165 Browns (from Colts) #175 Titans (from Chiefs)
    • The Pittsburgh Steelers propose a trade with the Houston Texans @Qwiz for the #67 pick. The Steelers offer pick #87, #128
    • And here is basically the same story,  but this one is from the Colts perspective, put out by Colts.com   So, a reminder of who we play at home (9 games) and who we play on the road (8 games).   Enjoy!!   https://www.colts.com/news/2021-nfl-schedule-release-new-england-patriots-tampa-bay-buccaneers-may-12
  • Members

    • Mr. Irrelevant

      Mr. Irrelevant 271

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 2,675

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • buccolts

      buccolts 2,547

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ReMeDy

      ReMeDy 434

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 8,579

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • James

      James 376

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 310

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Coltpwr

      Coltpwr 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • luv_pony_express

      luv_pony_express 671

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • davidshoff

      davidshoff 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...