Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL moving towards a 17 game schedule.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:33 AM, craigerb said:

Remember we lost one of the Jax games.

Totally unrelated, when I watched the jags last year they reminded me of the 2011 colts. Although they lost almost all of their games; they competed and played hard and at one point we in pretty much every game. I can imagine them winning 10 games with average to above average quarterback play.

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

I guess it depends on your area. Im in South Jersey, Eagles country. I've been a Eagles season ticket holder over 25 years after the game was done with me. I played for a Div 1 school, then extremely short time in the NFL as a Safety. This area is Eagles 24/7. Even now during offseason. People will watch the Sixers or Flyers. But all the talk all year is still the Eagles. That is honestly one of only two reasons I stay in this area. The passion and love for the Eagles in this area that never dies and the food(Cheesesteaks, Pizza, Calzones, etc. yes believe it or not Im still kinda of skinny, lol. 

I know people who go to the games in my sections and people when watching at home that will have head phones on and listen to our local sports radio broadcast on 94.1 during the game to get Merrill Reese's commentary instead of the TV or even the loud fans in the stands. So similar to what you might do.  In Philly you cant get tickets unless your a season ticket holder or buy them on the secondary market for double the price min. The wait list is over 70 years to get season tickets, only behind Green bay.  So Id have to disagree. I dont see the NFL slowly dying just yet. At least not in this area. I could see it in areas like LA, Vegas, some of the Florida market etc because the fan base is not as passionate or loyal to one sport over all the others. I think the pandemic of course doesnt help but I know as soon as they allow full stadiums, at least in Philly it will be jammed packed. Parties will be on the rise again etc. 

Not trying to insult you but the NFL don't revolve around Philly. 

What I was talking about is the viewership across the whole country. That is what controls the sponsors and how they decide how much to pay the NFL. If they are not getting the results from them buying time during NFL games then they will stop spending as much. Like it or not that is what makes the NFL run.

There are less people watching NFL games every week. Even the super bowl had less people watching it and that number has been going down for the last 3 or 4 years. 

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not trying to insult you but the NFL don't revolve around Philly. 

What I was talking about is the viewership across the whole country. That is what controls the sponsors and how they decide how much to pay the NFL. If they are not getting the results from them buying time during NFL games then they will stop spending as much. Like it or not that is what makes the NFL run.

There are less people watching NFL games every week. Even the super bowl had less people watching it and that number has been going down for the last 3 or 4 years. 

No insult, I know Philly is one of the rare areas with its extremely high passion for one sport above all the sports in the area. I feel Philly and Green Bay are those areas for football. Everything else is just something to kill some time.

I cant count last year because of the pandemic which is an extreme rarity and skews the numbers. But yes a small drop the last few years for the SB BUT still a huge amount and way above any other sport. When your still looking at 98-111 million viewers for the SB your talking elite numbers. 

Finals- Baseball avg around 10-12 mill , Basketball 13-18 mill, Hockey 3-8 mill. Im not even counting 2020 numbers due to the pandemic. 

Reg season- So yes last year it was down a ton, but all sports were down a ton. In 2019 they were on a big upraise actually increasing 1.9 mil. to a  avg viewers a week. The highest year ever 2015 for viewers was only 1 mill more then the 2019 number. So it really was not on the decline 3-4 years. 2015 the high point at 17.9 avg a week then it drops 2 years to 3 mill less a week from 2016-2017, then back up again two years in a row 2018-2019 to record numbers again to 16.5 mill a week avg and then the pandemic happens. So they were actually on a upraise again. 

Lets also not forget overall TV ratings have dropped almost 10% as well. Not sports rating, overall ratings. So its not a football issue or a sports issue. 

So even in a "down" slide it by far destroys every other sport. The NFL reg season avg per week is higher then most of any other sports finals viewer numbers. Maybe this does not get more money in a contract, but it will not get then much less. Once this pandemic is over, I see this jumping up dramatically and I think the NFL will use that in there favor.