Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft a Running Back ... Early!


Recommended Posts

I was excited about that 1-1 punch we were going to have last year.  Unfortunately, due to Mack's injury, it never happened.  I'd love to see him re-signed but that is a tough injury to come back from.

 

I believe that Taylor is a top 3-5 RB in this league.  Still, it would be great to get back that 1-1 punch.  No offense to Hines, he's great at what he does and he'll get a ton of snaps.  But he's not the greatest between the tackles.

 

If Ballard addresses LT in free agency, or if he doesn't believe there's one worth the 21st pick - how about taking Harris or Etienne if one is available?  I know, I never liked taking a RB in the first round either.  But think of the possibilities.  They're both dynamic RBs and the D's would almost always have to keep a S in the box.  Not to mention that it's injury insurance, big time.

 

Probably a pipe dream for the first round pick - but if Trey Sermon is available on day 3????

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was excited about that 1-1 punch we were going to have last year.  Unfortunately, due to Mack's injury, it never happened.  I'd love to see him re-signed but that is a tough injury to come back from.

 

I believe that Taylor is a top 3-5 RB in this league.  Still, it would be great to get back that 1-1 punch.  No offense to Hines, he's great at what he does and he'll get a ton of snaps.  But he's not the greatest between the tackles.

 

If Ballard addresses LT in free agency, or if he doesn't believe there's one worth the 21st pick - how about taking Harris or Etienne if one is available?  I know, I never liked taking a RB in the first round either.  But think of the possibilities.  They're both dynamic RBs and the D's would almost always have to keep a S in the box.  Not to mention that it's injury insurance, big time.

 

Probably a pipe dream for the first round pick - but if Trey Sermon is available on day 3????

 

Wilkins is woefully underutilized, IMO and if you are not drafting for a future starter, you can fortify the RB position with a Day 3 pick. Unlike other years, we started with 7 picks and now are down to 6 picks. I would rather us bring back Mack for a 1 year prove it deal.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope not.

 

I've been saying for the past few months that the 2021 RB class is the weakest we've seen since 2014, and I don't think any back is worth a first round pick, with only a couple worthy of a second round look. I'm not against drafting a running back at all, but I wouldn't take one early in a bad class when we already have our future workhorse on the roster.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

Wilkins is woefully underutilized, IMO and if you are not drafting for a future starter, you can fortify the RB position with a Day 3 pick. Unlike other years, we started with 7 picks and now are down to 6 picks. I would rather us bring back Mack for a 1 year prove it deal.

 

Love Mack, and if he can play I'm all for bringing him back.  Wilkins has his moments but he's not a starter in this league.  I don't consider Hines to be the same type of back as Taylor as far as how they utilize him.

 

Obvioulsy, LT, Edge, and CB should be our main areas of concentration.  But the chances of getting a starter at all three spots in the draft is slim.  IMHO, if Harris or Etienne are available at 21, I'd be surprised if they weren't the BPA.

 

But like I said, I think we can improve on Wilkins later in the draft.  Sermon is going to be a steal if he lasts to the 5th or 6th round.  Man, I love the draft!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I hope not.

 

I've been saying for the past few months that the 2021 RB class is the weakest we've seen since 2014, and I don't think any back is worth a first round pick, with only a couple worthy of a second round look. I'm not against drafting a running back at all, but I wouldn't take one early in a bad class when we already have our future workhorse on the roster.

 

Have you seen Harris play?  Maybe after he and Etienne it gets weak but those two are going to make an impact with whichever team drafts them.

 

The main reason to get another 'workhorse' is so you don't wear either one down.  If Taylor goes down, Wilkins isn't exactly going to put the fear of the run into defenses.  Good spot player, but not on the same level as Taylor or the two I mentioned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Have you seen Harris play?  Maybe after he and Etienne it gets weak but those two are going to make an impact with whichever team drafts them.

 

The main reason to get another 'workhorse' is so you don't wear either one down.  If Taylor goes down, Wilkins isn't exactly going to put the fear of the run into defenses.  Good spot player, but not on the same level as Taylor or the two I mentioned.

I have seen Harris play, I’ve scouted numerous Bama games. He doesn’t exactly strike fear in opponents hearts, he’s more of a product of an amazing offense.

 

I do agree, it would be nice to have 2 runners who can dominate at any time, but with the holes we have, we can’t waste a pick on a position we don’t absolutely need help in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I was excited about that 1-1 punch we were going to have last year.  Unfortunately, due to Mack's injury, it never happened.  I'd love to see him re-signed but that is a tough injury to come back from.

 

I believe that Taylor is a top 3-5 RB in this league.  Still, it would be great to get back that 1-1 punch.  No offense to Hines, he's great at what he does and he'll get a ton of snaps.  But he's not the greatest between the tackles.

 

If Ballard addresses LT in free agency, or if he doesn't believe there's one worth the 21st pick - how about taking Harris or Etienne if one is available?  I know, I never liked taking a RB in the first round either.  But think of the possibilities.  They're both dynamic RBs and the D's would almost always have to keep a S in the box.  Not to mention that it's injury insurance, big time.

 

Probably a pipe dream for the first round pick - but if Trey Sermon is available on day 3????

Trey Sermon is my favorite RB, so you won’t hear me complain about drafting him if he lasts to Day 3.   And I think that’s a BIG IF. 
 

But part of the beauty of our 1-1 RB committee was that Mack was a 4th round RB.   We didn’t invest much in the position and still had a good 1-1 combo.  That’s key.
 

I think spending a first on RB is self defeating.  Why dramatically cut into JT’s touches by investing a first on yet another RB?   If we want to create another 1-1 combo, the key is to do it with a Day 3 pick.  Ballard has found them before, he can find another.  


I like the concept.  But we have so many other pressing needs, we have to be wise in how we do this...  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive my Homerism, but Stevie Scott would be a great late rd pick! His stats werent eye-popping last season, but that was because of IUs system! He is on Jordan Howard/Tevin Coleman level! He’s a workhorse that is a good pass blocker! Can see him being a Dom Rhodes type of player!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Trey Sermon is my favorite RB, so you won’t hear me complain about drafting him if he lasts to Day 3.   And I think that’s a BIG IF. 
 

But part of the beauty of our 1-1 RB committee was that Mack was a 4th round RB.   We didn’t invest much in the position and still had a good 1-1 combo.  That’s key.
 

I think spending a first on RB is self defeating.  Why dramatically cut into JT’s touches by investing a first on yet another RB?   If we want to create another 1-1 combo, the key is to do it with a Day 3 pick.  Ballard has found them before, he can find another.  


I like the concept.  But we have so many other pressing needs, we have to be wise in how we do this...  

 

Good points.  I know we won’t go RB in the first.  I do believe Harris is special.  I haven’t watched Etienne enough, but he gets more love. Yet, my Buckeye defense shut him down and that D wasn’t much more than average.   
 

I do think we’ll draft a RB to compete with Wilkins, and Sermon could be a steal.  
 

Yes, we do have holes.  LT, Edge and CB all are needed.  They can’t all be filled by rookies, so there will be opportunities to draft a RB.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely not.  JT’s the man, young and on a cheap contract.  No need to burn a premium draft pick another RB or spend much money on an FA RB.  Taylor should be fed heavily on year two.  Need a spot player like a Hines or as someone suggested a fifth rounder rookie or later to fill that role.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason you would post this if you're having doubts about Jonathan Taylor handling the majority of the carries in 2021. Trey Sermon is worth a look at. If he didn't get injured in the national championship bowl game Bama would've still won but it would've been a lot closer. He was easily their best player down the stretch of the season and into the playoff.  

 

Another guy is Chubba Hubbard out of Oklahoma State who decided to sit out 2020 and prepare for the draft. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

The only reason you would post this if you're having doubts about Jonathan Taylor handling the majority of the carries in 2021. Trey Sermon is worth a look at. If he didn't get injured in the national championship bowl game Bama would've still won but it would've been a lot closer. He was easily their best player down the stretch of the season and into the playoff.  

 

Another guy is Chubba Hubbard out of Oklahoma State who decided to sit out 2020 and prepare for the draft. 


It’s a long season and I trust the coaches not to wear JT out early. No matter the reason, he didn’t get a ton of carries until the end of the season last year.  He was fresh and awesome.

 

Hines will get his situational carries.  But my thinking is that if they alternate JT with another #1 type RB, especially early in the year, he’ll be even more productive down the stretch.  
 

Harris would be my choice, but I know it would be unrealistic.  Unless he falls to the second round.  I never would have guessed Ballard would move up to take a RB last year...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...