Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman on good morning football

CR91

On 2/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, CurBeatElite said:

And, not for nothing, but Wentz hasn't done enough in his career (especially lately)  to deserve the ability to command a jersey number.  

I imagine it'd be a bit different if Pittman wore #12 and we signed Brady, or if Pittman was #18 on the Broncos when they brought in Peyton.... or if he wore #80 and we signed Jerry Rice, etc.

There are certain numbers in NFL history which are historic, and all of them are numbers which were worn by very obvious HOF players which NFL historians (I'm assuming most fans of certain ages and the majority of players are fans of NFL history to some extent).   Those numbers are iconic - Favre is #4, Elway #7, Steve Young/Aikman #8, Brees #9, Brady #12, Marino #13, Montana #16, Peyton #18, Johnny U. #19 (I might be missing some, but those are just some HOF or future HOF players who I think the number 'belongs' to).  You have other guys who were good and wore various numbers, but at least in my mind none of them are really 'taken' - Matt Ryan is good, may play long enough to have HOF numbers and probably the best QB to ever wear #2, but I remember Doug Flutie as #2 before he was even good in the NFL more... 

At #11, the QBs who come to my mind are Phil Simms, Drew Bledsoe and Daunte Culpepper from the modern era.  None were great, but I could see maybe Phil Simms after he won a SB and was a 15 year vet coming to Indy and taking #11 from a WR going into his 2nd year.   I doubt many people outside of Philly fans would be able to guess that Wentz wore #11 to begin with, and he's coming off a bad year and hasn't really done much in his career to have earned the right to just come in and take someone's number away.  

Flutie never wore 2 before the NFL 22 in college and 20 in the CFL. I always kind of liked a QB wearing a 20+ number , Kosar, Flutie were the 2 best , Heath Shuler was 21 at UT. Remember the Hefty Lefty at Kentucky #21. Iu had that guy 21 a few years ago. I am sure there are some more. Michigans QB wore 20 at Ole Miss before he transferred. Mich had a guy wearing 98 one year as some tribute that seemed strange. I grew up in NFL time where it was pretty  much 7,10,12,14 or 17 if you were any good. Personally I hate #1 for anybody but a kicker or punter.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, CurBeatElite said:

Usually.  The Colts have retired #18 (Manning), #19 (Unitas), #22 (Buddy Young), #24 (Lenny Moore), #70 (Art Donovan), #82 (Raymond Berry) and #89 (Gino Marchetti).  

If we kept retiring numbers, eventually players would have to start wearing 3 digits.  

Edge is in the Ring of Honor, but Julian Blackmon wears his #32.  Faulk is in the ROH but Taylor wears his #28.  Freeney's #93 is worn by Rob Windsor.  Saturday's #63 worn by Danny Pinter... the list goes on.

Harbaugh is in the the ROH, but Vinatieri wore his #4 (Vinny will be in the ROH soon, too).

I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts retired #88 (maybe even #87), but at some point they have to stop retiring numbers.  

DeMichael Harris would have to give #12 to Wentz, if Wentz really wanted it ;) ... but, TBH, if Wentz did, I would love to see two #12's in the ROH with Luck and Wentz (assuming that means Wentz brings us multiple SBs and puts on a decade or so of winning football).

Art Donovan should be retired on his comedic abilities alone! I loved him on Letterman.

49 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Clearly the Colts agree with you on Patmon’s potential. He stayed on the 53 man squad all year because of their fear he’d be snagged off waivers or the PS if exposed. But he barely sniffed the field. He’s the true unknown factor at WR and why I could see the team rolling the dice and not spending the $ on a #1 FA wide receiver. It would be a gamble, but an emerging Patmon and a healthy Campbell would be electric. Of course, if neither guy stepped up, and TY is gone.....yikes. 

I love the potential of Patmon, but he's a bit limited position wise IMO. He's got great speed for his size (as does Pittman), but Pittman is squarely X1, and IMO Patmon is not cut out for every down slot or Z. WR as a unit is a bit of puzzle to me outside of X. 

I watched a good amount of film on him after the draft, and I believe I did threads on most players with info. What stuck out to me is his ability to glide, and he had sneaky speed. Probably more build up speed like most bigs. His coach said he needed to realize how big he was, and he needed to play to his size (and his film agrees). Not for sure, but I think he struggled a bit getting off the line when pressed.

All that said, I'm just not sure how he fits. Bigger and slower than a typical Z, maybe not physical enough to be a traditional or big slot. He's 4.48ish IIRC, so I shouldn't say slow, just not twitch quick for Z. I do seem to recall really liking his deep stuff, but he's got to be more than that. He's intriguing, just hope he finds his niche and continues to develop. 

12 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Pittman better be careful if he expects to catch passes from Wentz for a number of years.  Just give the QB number 11 and be pals. If Pittman wants to be a hard head, there could be consequences.

Naw Carson is the one who need to come in and fit in not , fit the team to him . He is a new player and doesn’t have the clout of a Brady or one of them guys to just command a number. If wentz comes in and doesn’t throw to him he need to be gone 

17 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

After years of struggles Captain Comeback got our Colts 1 Hail Mary away from a Superbowl   .It meant alot to us back then .

Yes, it did.  In those days, I was an Army helo pilot.  After missions in Belize, we were returning to our base in Honduras.  We landed near a beachfront resort and went into their dining room/bar area and they had that game on television.  What a memory.  I was the only Colts fan in the place.

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

Naw Carson is the one who need to come in and fit in not , fit the team to him . He is a new player and doesn’t have the clout of a Brady or one of them guys to just command a number. If wentz comes in and doesn’t throw to him he need to be gone 

I haven't really kept up with this.   Did Wentz demand the number or just ask for it?   I have a feeling that this has been blown out of proportion.   

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I haven't really kept up with this.   Did Wentz demand the number or just ask for it?   I have a feeling that this has been blown out of proportion.   

No he didn’t demand it but people saying that Pittman should have gave it to him

16 hours ago, Maxwell2 said:

Flutie never wore 2 before the NFL 22 in college and 20 in the CFL. I always kind of liked a QB wearing a 20+ number , Kosar, Flutie were the 2 best , Heath Shuler was 21 at UT. Remember the Hefty Lefty at Kentucky #21. Iu had that guy 21 a few years ago. I am sure there are some more. Michigans QB wore 20 at Ole Miss before he transferred. Mich had a guy wearing 98 one year as some tribute that seemed strange. I grew up in NFL time where it was pretty  much 7,10,12,14 or 17 if you were any good. Personally I hate #1 for anybody but a kicker or punter.

Yea, I know Flutie wore 22 at Boston College and only briefly wore #2 in the NFL with New England (I believe he wore #7 with Buffalo)... my point there was there are few well known QBs in the NFL who have worn #2.  Matt Ryan, Tim Couch, Aaron Brooks are the only others aside from Flutie who I can recall wearing it and other than Ryan who has had an above average career, there's no QB who really sticks out as #2.

As I said, I doubt outside of Philly and now the people who have read this whole blown out of proportion media 'Pittman controversy' really had a great idea that Wentz was #11.  It'd be way different if you had a guy who made a legacy out of a jersey number coming in and a WR who hasn't done much in the league not wanting to give up his number to (e.g., if we signed Brady and Pittman didn't give up #12, that'd be news worth reporting or having a huge internet controversy about).

11 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

So, sell the number to your QB, and set up a nice college fund for your kid who's on the way... easy out for a testy situation.

Honestly I'd rather see Wentz in a new number, new team, new start.

:2c:

Pittman said selling numbers is * move and that he is against doing it.  In his opinion you either give it away for free or keep it.

I like his style.

Archived