Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman on good morning football

Typically when a big name, highly paid QB comes to a new they do not demand their number.   They inquire about it. 

Then, often, they will entice the player who wears it with a splashy gift.   A watch, a car, a large check.   They can run 4-5 figures.   

I don’t even remember a case of a QB acting like a Bull in a China shop over a jersey number. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Typically when a big name, highly paid QB comes to a new they do not demand their number.   They inquire about it. 

Then, often, they will entice the player who wears it with a splashy gift.   A watch, a car, a large check.   They can run 4-5 figures.   

I don’t even remember a case of a QB acting like a Bull in a China shop over a jersey number. 

And, not for nothing, but Wentz hasn't done enough in his career (especially lately)  to deserve the ability to command a jersey number.  

I imagine it'd be a bit different if Pittman wore #12 and we signed Brady, or if Pittman was #18 on the Broncos when they brought in Peyton.... or if he wore #80 and we signed Jerry Rice, etc.

There are certain numbers in NFL history which are historic, and all of them are numbers which were worn by very obvious HOF players which NFL historians (I'm assuming most fans of certain ages and the majority of players are fans of NFL history to some extent).   Those numbers are iconic - Favre is #4, Elway #7, Steve Young/Aikman #8, Brees #9, Brady #12, Marino #13, Montana #16, Peyton #18, Johnny U. #19 (I might be missing some, but those are just some HOF or future HOF players who I think the number 'belongs' to).  You have other guys who were good and wore various numbers, but at least in my mind none of them are really 'taken' - Matt Ryan is good, may play long enough to have HOF numbers and probably the best QB to ever wear #2, but I remember Doug Flutie as #2 before he was even good in the NFL more... 

At #11, the QBs who come to my mind are Phil Simms, Drew Bledsoe and Daunte Culpepper from the modern era.  None were great, but I could see maybe Phil Simms after he won a SB and was a 15 year vet coming to Indy and taking #11 from a WR going into his 2nd year.   I doubt many people outside of Philly fans would be able to guess that Wentz wore #11 to begin with, and he's coming off a bad year and hasn't really done much in his career to have earned the right to just come in and take someone's number away.  

• Like 1

If Wentz wants to wear #12, I’d be fine with it. I suspect that Irsay would discourage it.  One day he will likely want to retire Luck’s number to the Ring of Honor. 

Then what happens if we have a good problem and Wentz has a very good Colts career like we all hope.  Can the same number be retired twice?  Or with two names attached to it?

More questions than answers...

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If Wentz wants to wear #12, I’d be fine with it. I suspect that Irsay would discourage it.  One day he will likely want to retire Luck’s number to the Ring of Honor. 

Then what happens if we have a good problem and Wentz has a very good Colts career like we all hope.  Can the same number be retired twice?  Or with two names attached to it?

Numbers don't get retired when you go on the ring of honor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.   I wasn’t sure.  

So,  it’s just names then?  

Usually.  The Colts have retired #18 (Manning), #19 (Unitas), #22 (Buddy Young), #24 (Lenny Moore), #70 (Art Donovan), #82 (Raymond Berry) and #89 (Gino Marchetti).  

If we kept retiring numbers, eventually players would have to start wearing 3 digits.  

Edge is in the Ring of Honor, but Julian Blackmon wears his #32.  Faulk is in the ROH but Taylor wears his #28.  Freeney's #93 is worn by Rob Windsor.  Saturday's #63 worn by Danny Pinter... the list goes on.

Harbaugh is in the the ROH, but Vinatieri wore his #4 (Vinny will be in the ROH soon, too).

I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts retired #88 (maybe even #87), but at some point they have to stop retiring numbers.  

DeMichael Harris would have to give #12 to Wentz, if Wentz really wanted it ;) ... but, TBH, if Wentz did, I would love to see two #12's in the ROH with Luck and Wentz (assuming that means Wentz brings us multiple SBs and puts on a decade or so of winning football).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Luck didn’t do anything to touch the Ring

Maybe.   Maybe not.   But isn’t that Irsay’s call?    Or is there a fans vote?   Or some other method?   I don’t know so I’m asking.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.   I wasn’t sure.  

So,  it’s just names then?  

Yes. Names and years they were with the team. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe.   Maybe not.   But isn’t that Irsay’s call?    Or is there a fans vote?   Or some other method?   I don’t know so I’m asking.

I’ve been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and never once voted on a Ring of Honor candidate. 

it is a team discretion ruing which is code for Irsay makes the call. 

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Luck didn’t do anything to touch the Ring

But Jim Harbaugh did?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

BTW - an undrafted rookie wore # 12 this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good vid, and thanks @CR91

I've liked Pittman since his recruiting days in HS, even though he went to USC (yuck!). I like him even more as we get to know him as a person. Having a wife and kid (and a zoo) are great things to keep a guy grounded and humble. I expect a huge step forward in his sophomore season. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck in the ring of honor? 

Really?

Quitting on owner, GM, teammates, and colt fans.... and doing it 2 weeks before the season.

Ring of Honor.... NOT Deserving

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think his wife is due to have their baby sometime in April. I crack up how he takes the cat to Cali with him on the plane. From his interview yesterday that looked like his apartment in Indy but Zak Wilson posted a Instagram story of them golfing together so I am confused if he is in Indy or Cali lol.

• Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think his wife is due to have their baby sometime in April. I crack up how he takes the cat to Cali with him on the plane. From his interview yesterday that looked like his apartment in Indy but Zak Wilson posted a Instagram story of them golfing together so I am confused if he is in Indy or Cali lol.

Well,   they weren't golfing in Indy lately

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good for Pittmann on making that decision but even better for Wentz not to demand anything. Maybe he will roll with #10 or #17. Or sadly if TY goes to another team, he could potentially get #13.

Pittman's decision illustrates the openess and comfort level within their locker room. You got be who you are, and for Wentz it is a reminder that no player is more important than the team. That is what Ballard and Reich preaches and the players are walking the talk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, jskinnz said:

But Jim Harbaugh did?

Harbaugh, Dickerson, Faulk...

Luck will absolutely be in the ring of honor, not that it matters all that much.

As for #11, Wentz should go for a fresh start anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Luck in the ring of honor? 

Really?

Quitting on owner, GM, teammates, and colt fans.... and doing it 2 weeks before the season.

Ring of Honor.... NOT Deserving

I could be wrong, but I believe Irsay himself said so at Luck’s retirement press conference. 

And the whole “quitting” thing is what fans think.  The owner, the GM, and teammates don’t think it at all.  None of them have criticized Luck.   If he had quit in March, the QB of the 2019 Colts was still going to be Jacoby Brissett. 

And if you Google the Colts Ring of Honor you’ll see some other interesting names....  WR Bill Brooks?   What did he ever do?   QB Jim Harbaugh?  4 seasons.  Yes, he took the Colts to the AFC title game.  So did Andrew Luck.  How quickly some have forgotten....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can't fault Pittman for wanting to keep his jersey number. 

I think it is blown up by those who are looking for attention. 

Its blown up for the purpose of trying to make Wentz look bad.  Or for showing that he's been put in his place, so to speak.

The latter comes with the premise that he was out of place to begin with, which he was not of course.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yes. Names and years they were with the team. 

I’ve been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and never once voted on a Ring of Honor candidate. 

it is a team discretion ruing which is code for Irsay makes the call. 

But Jim Harbaugh did?

After years of struggles Captain Comeback got our Colts 1 Hail Mary away from a Superbowl   .It meant alot to us back then .

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

After years of struggles Captain Comeback got our Colts 1 Hail Mary away from a Superbowl   .It meant alot to us back then .

Yep. That team was special. A second-year Marshall Faulk, Harbaugh, a rookie Dilger, Dawkins, Goose, Bennett, Buchanan and an old Eugene Daniel. 

Not to date myself...but I was in 6th grade that year...and I remember going to that IND/SD game on 12/17 with FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). Our seats were so bad...I am pretty sure a couple of them were behind support columns in the nosebleeds (if anybody remembers the Hoosier Dome...that was actually a thing).

After the game...we moved down to the field and Ray Buchanan came out and spoke to my group for like 30 min...and then signed autographs.

We also got 8+ inches of snow on Tuesday (on top of what we already had). I don't think we went back to school for a month that year. It was a glorious time. 

• Like 4
21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Good vid, and thanks @CR91

I've liked Pittman since his recruiting days in HS, even though he went to USC (yuck!). I like him even more as we get to know him as a person. Having a wife and kid (and a zoo) are great things to keep a guy grounded and humble. I expect a huge step forward in his sophomore season. 

So do I EastStreet. His route tree will expand, I expect, and its going to be fun to see him blossom. 

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 5:44 PM, jbaron04 said:

That’s good , wentz first reality check can’t let him come in and think he own the place , get a new number and a fresh start 

Pittman better be careful if he expects to catch passes from Wentz for a number of years.  Just give the QB number 11 and be pals. If Pittman wants to be a hard head, there could be consequences.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Pittman better be careful if he expects to catch passes from Wentz for a number of years.  Just give the QB number 11 and be pals. If Pittman wants to be a hard head, there could be consequences.

If a multi millionaire professional quarterback doesnt throw to an open reciever because of a number as low as 11, we've got bigger things to worry about.  This story is way overblown. I suspect Wentz will take a number and play to win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I crack up how he takes the cat to Cali with him on the plane. From his interview yesterday that looked like his apartment in Indy but Zak Wilson posted a Instagram story of them golfing together so I am confused if he is in Indy or Cali lol.

Lol, I used to do the same thing with my English Setter. We'd fly to Vegas & gamble and then rent car and drive to Long Beach area. 

He would miss me too much if we were apart for extended time and I knew no one would take care of him as well as me.

I miss Rocky....those were good days.

I understand completely him taking his cat with him. :D

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Marshall Faulk, Harbaugh, a rookie Dilger, Dawkins, Goose, Bennett, Buchanan and an old Eugene Daniel. 

Not to date myself...but I was in 6th grade that year...and I remember going to that IND/SD game on 12/17 with FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). Our seats were so bad...I am pretty sure a couple of them were behind support columns in the nosebleeds (if anybody remembers the Hoosier Dome...that was actually a thing).

After the game...we moved down to the field and Ray Buchanan came out and spoke to my group for like 30 min...and then signed autographs.

We also got 8+ inches of snow on Tuesday (on top of what we already had). I don't think we went back to school for a month that year. It was a glorious time. 

......and Zack Crockett :D

• Like 1

I just hope that Wentz doesn't let the number issue eat away at him

Imagine him looking at all past pictures, NDS and the eagles and being so proud of number 11.

Now he comes to the Colts and he's number 6 or something. 

I really hope Pittman gives him number 11

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hoose said:

So do I EastStreet. His route tree will expand, I expect, and its going to be fun to see him blossom. 

Yup, it sure will. I think he's a guy you can take advantage of the full route tree, assuming he's as advertised (attacking on the 50/50). And he showed at time some running ability like his pops. He was IIRC a top 20 (all positions) in YACatch, and I hope he continues to do well in that category. Given he was a rook, and had a bit of injury delay, I think his sophomore season could be a really nice jump. 

We've been absent a legit X for years, which he fits that to a T. And X is critical to Reich's O IMO, or at least from what routes we see a lot of. It's strange that X is now the only position I have confidence in lol. Z is a FA and aging. Slot can't past the injury bug. Pittman could be the #1 all year.

Off topic, but I'm also excited to see what Patmon can do. His size says X, his college style says X-Z hybrid. I'd love to have Patmon take a step forward enough to be X2 and perhaps be a bookend opposite Pittman on a few set per game.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I just hope that Wentz doesn't let the number issue eat away at him

Imagine him looking at all past pictures, NDS and the eagles and being so proud of number 11.

Now he comes to the Colts and he's number 6 or something. 

I really hope Pittman gives him number 11

IDK. If he lets a thing like a # eat away at him, he's probably not the guy we need. 

Pittman is going to be working out with Wentz in Cali prior to Camp, so I really doubt it's a thing. IMO, Pittman should be Wentz's best friend in 2021 in terms of go-to target. Given TY is a route/last-cut separation guy at this point, he'll need a decent amount of time to grown chemistry with CW if he even comes back. Wentz and Pittman should have a nice head start on that.

15 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

IMHO  I really would like Carson Wentz to take a new number & make it shine brother . A new team a new start a new number maybe 12 .

My buddy said the exact same thing. New town, new house, new team, new friends, and a new, reinvented Carson.

Let the past go, and like you said, make it shine.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, it sure will. I think he's a guy you can take advantage of the full route tree, assuming he's as advertised (attacking on the 50/50). And he showed at time some running ability like his pops. He was IIRC a top 20 (all positions) in YACatch, and I hope he continues to do well in that category. Given he was a rook, and had a bit of injury delay, I think his sophomore season could be a really nice jump. 

We've been absent a legit X for years, which he fits that to a T. And X is critical to Reich's O IMO, or at least from what routes we see a lot of. It's strange that X is now the only position I have confidence in lol. Z is a FA and aging. Slot can't past the injury bug. Pittman could be the #1 all year.

Off topic, but I'm also excited to see what Patmon can do. His size says X, his college style says X-Z hybrid. I'd love to have Patmon take a step forward enough to be X2 and perhaps be a bookend opposite Pittman on a few set per game.

Clearly the Colts agree with you on Patmon’s potential. He stayed on the 53 man squad all year because of their fear he’d be snagged off waivers or the PS if exposed. But he barely sniffed the field. He’s the true unknown factor at WR and why I could see the team rolling the dice and not spending the $ on a #1 FA wide receiver. It would be a gamble, but an emerging Patmon and a healthy Campbell would be electric. Of course, if neither guy stepped up, and TY is gone.....yikes. 

• Like 2