Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MMQB: How the Wentz trade went down

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm listening right now. Same old questions as always.

Like I've said before - been a sports fan of multiple teams from throughout the world. Indy media is just horrible. It's the worst  and most uninspiring group of reporters/beat writers/analysts/media personalities I've ever had the displeasure of following. Just straight up garbage. It's telling when the two best things I've seen/heard/read from Colts media this year have been by Dan Dakich(Ballard and Cosell interviews, mainly because of the guests). How is it possible for the whole media market to be so bad? 

• Sad 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/22/mmqb-carson-wentz-trade-washington-front-office-tim-tebow   Good stuff included. Wentz requested a trade after the season ended, the Eagles gave his agent p

You're going to get responses to this about how Indy isn't Philly or NY or Chicago (maybe a snide remark about LA as well). Just my prediction.   But I don't want the media to be rude, nasty

There are a ton of teams already over the cap. I'm sure there are a few who might have been interested in Wentz, but couldn't take on a $25m/year player right now.   And others who might hav

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Like I've said before - been a sports fan of multiple teams from throughout the world. Indy media is just horrible. It's the worst  and most uninspiring group of reporters/beat writers/analysts/media personalities I've ever had the displeasure of following. Just straight up garbage. It's telling when the two best things I've seen/heard/read from Colts media this year have been by Dan Dakich(Ballard and Cosell interviews). How is it possible for the whole media market to be so bad? 

You're going to get responses to this about how Indy isn't Philly or NY or Chicago (maybe a snide remark about LA as well). Just my prediction.

But I don't want the media to be rude, nasty, impatient, or harsh. I don't need them to grill the coaches, players and staff. I'd just like to have them ask real questions, rather than trying to find clever ways to figure out things the staff isn't going to talk about. 

And over the last four years now, there's been a ton of uncertainty about the QB position, which isn't normal for a city that had really stable QBing for 20 years. I think some of them are lost. Some of them spent the last five years of the Polian regime doing nothing but hating Polian. Some of them are new to Indy, so these probably are not good excuses for them. 

I don't get it. I'm not a journalist, I don't think I can do their jobs better than they do. But I do think they could easily ask better questions in these pressers, which would lead to better things to write about, better things to talk about on their TV/radio spots, better podcasts, etc. I think Dakich is a buffoon most of the time, but I absolutely agree with him that the Indy media isn't good at covering the Colts. (He's also hypocritical, because he was Grigson's bootlicker.) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're going to get responses to this about how Indy isn't Philly or NY or Chicago (maybe a snide remark about LA as well). Just my prediction.

But I don't want the media to be rude, nasty, impatient, or harsh. I don't need them to grill the coaches, players and staff. I'd just like to have them ask real questions, rather than trying to find clever ways to figure out things the staff isn't going to talk about. 

And over the last four years now, there's been a ton of uncertainty about the QB position, which isn't normal for a city that had really stable QBing for 20 years. I think some of them are lost. Some of them spent the last five years of the Polian regime doing nothing but hating Polian. Some of them are new to Indy, so these probably are not good excuses for them. 

I don't get it. I'm not a journalist, I don't think I can do their jobs better than they do. But I do think they could easily ask better questions in these pressers, which would lead to better things to write about, better things to talk about on their TV/radio spots, better podcasts, etc. I think Dakich is a buffoon most of the time, but I absolutely agree with him that the Indy media isn't good at covering the Colts. (He's also hypocritical, because he was Grigson's bootlicker.) 

About the questions - I don't think they understand the game beyond the most surface level. IMO in order to ask some incisive questions about players, roles, schemes, you have to be comfortable talking about those things and I don't think most of them are. I think their understnading is at the level of - "Rivers completed 65% of his passes and went for 290 yards.... TY dropped a pass and Buckner had 2 sacks"... Nothing but surface level. I don't think they know better in order to ask better questions. That's why they keep going back to the same question again and again and again asking it in 5 different ways, begging for a quote they can put in a story. They just have nothing else in their bag of tricks. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
22 minutes ago, stitches said:

About the questions - I don't think they understand the game beyond the most surface level. IMO in order to ask some incisive questions about players, roles, schemes, you have to be comfortable talking about those things and I don't think most of them are. I think their understnading is at the level of - "Rivers completed 65% of his passes and went for 290 yards.... TY dropped a pass and Buckner had 2 sacks"... Nothing but surface level. I don't think they know better in order to ask better questions. That's why they keep going back to the same question again and again and again asking it in 5 different ways, begging for a quote they can put in a story. They just have nothing else in their bag of tricks. 

When the demands of the job exceed the time it takes to do the job well, you get the same results as a sophmore in high school who crammed the night before the test.  It's really not a surprise to me anymore, or an excuse for that matter.  

This interview was after his rookie season. He seems like a guy with a great personality. Shocked they say he had trouble connecting with team mates. Seems like he would be fun to be around.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

He does media availability for the Combine at this time every year, so this is making up for that since there's no Combine. Just so happens that all anyone wants to talk about is the one thing he can't talk about.

In 25 minutes, just one question about player evaluation.

Ok.  Thanks

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Like I've said before - been a sports fan of multiple teams from throughout the world. Indy media is just horrible. It's the worst  and most uninspiring group of reporters/beat writers/analysts/media personalities I've ever had the displeasure of following. Just straight up garbage. It's telling when the two best things I've seen/heard/read from Colts media this year have been by Dan Dakich(Ballard and Cosell interviews, mainly because of the guests). How is it possible for the whole media market to be so bad? 

Wentz won't believe the difference between the two cities media coverage.  He should be able to settle in and relax immediately.  A big load off his shoulders.  It will help him get off to a good start here. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Advanced football stuff would be nice also. Before we can get there, how about some focus on player evaluation, what areas of the roster he wants to see improved, his thoughts on performances from last year, etc. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

What would you like them to ask in February when they can't ask about trades or free agency and won't talk about the draft?   What insightful questions would you ask that haven't been asked already?   Frank certainly didn't want to be there other than to address coaching changes .  I think you underestimate those reporters that follow the team daily and overestimate your opinion who has never talked to anyone within the organization. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, stitches said:

Where do you live?

8 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Dumb question but are there any rules for players/teammates when it comes to tampering. Was surprised to see several players already giving interviews about Wentz.

I also thought that collusion or tampering went both ways but after the news article on the Athletic broke today stating that the NFLPA and DeMaurice Smith are actually encouraging agents to collude this off-season on behalf of the players and share all their deals and what teams are willing to pay in order to drive up player offers and make sure teams dont use the lowering cap and COVID to hurt player contracts in negotiations, now I have no idea.

Seems like collusion only applies on the team side if that is true. I believe the article even stated that collusion was illegal for the teams but not for the workers, i.e. players.

This is gonna continue to be one wonky off-season.

I was in big favour of getting Wentz. That being said, we cant be naive and not think Wentz was part of the problem. Lets not all of a sudden dump on the Eagles and define them as being toxic and a dumpster fire, because Ballard is a genius and now he is a Colt. Listening  to Lombardi and he said he became entitled and was hard to coach. His indifference to being coached and that was the major issue. Lombardi likes the contract for the Colts. He likes our run game and our Oline. A good trade for both teams.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was in big favour of getting Wentz. That being said, we cant be naive and not think Wentz was part of the problem. Lets not all of a sudden dump on the Eagles and define them as being toxic and a dumpster fire, because Ballard is a genius and now he is a Colt. Listening  to Lombardi and he said he became entitled and was hard to coach. His indifference to being coached and that was the major issue. Lombardi likes the contract for the Colts. He likes our run game and our Oline. A good trade for both teams.

Yup, I think there was a ton that contributed to the bad situation. HIm, bad/injured OL, aging skill, and a whole lot more. The clear winner in the trade was Wentz IMO. Only time will tell if Indy or Philly or also winners. At this point in time, I really don't care about his past. If he gets back to form, nobody will care. If he struggles, the topic will become relevant once again.

Let's just hope a fresh start, good OL, and his chemistry with Reich are enough to get him back to at minimum 2019 form. I think that would be enough to compete in the playoffs.  

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, I think there was a ton that contributed to the bad situation. HIm, bad/injured OL, aging skill, and a whole lot more. The clear winner in the trade was Wentz IMO. Only time will tell if Indy or Philly or also winners. At this point in time, I really don't care about his past. If he gets back to form, nobody will care. If he struggles, the topic will become relevant once again.

Let's just hope a fresh start, good OL, and his chemistry with Reich are enough to get him back to at minimum 2019 form. I think that would be enough to compete in the playoffs.  

I think Reich will turn him around and beleives in him. If Reich had a real issue with his character, I doubt the trade would habe happened.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

With some of the stuff that was going on with the Eagles it's not unreasonable of me to think it didn't have an effect on the whole QB/coaches/GM relationships with each other. And none of it being good for the team.

Regardless I am not going to point a finger at anybody. I don't care.

All I care about is from now forward. 

IMO we are a better team right now that we were a few days ago. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Reich will turn him around and beleives in him. If Reich had a real issue with his character, I doubt the trade would habe happened.

Not sure if it was ever a "character" issue. Sounds more like attitude to me. Purely my opinion, but he's a smart guy, has likely read everything written about him, and knows he needs to embrace this chance. If he chokes at Indy, he's likely done. Hoping he's self aware, and comes in with a fresh perspective and attitude. Regardless, I'm not sure fixing him, is really a monumental task the more I read, and the more I think about things. If his mechanics fell apart in one year, he should be able to fix them in an offseason. Sounds like he just got sloppy, and that was compounded by a lot of external things. Or one could say a lot of external things created a negative situation, and he became sloppy (perhaps stopped caring).

Whatever it is/was, I'm just not near as worried as I once was. Like I said, I think he'll return to at minimum 2019 form, and not sure Reich will have a lot to do with it. I think the freshness (new team, new city) will create a new attitude. And the OL and overall quality of the team in Indy will resonate.

I think I'm back to being more concerned about Reich lol... I don't buy all the QB whisperer stuff. Sure he's had musical chairs to deal with, but overall I credit his conservative scheme more than anything. And that's great when you're working with chaos or musical chairs. Not sure it'll be good enough to go deep once the chaos and musical chairs stop.

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With some of the stuff that was going on with the Eagles it's not unreasonable of me to think it didn't have an effect on the whole QB/coaches/GM relationships with each other. And none of it being good for the team.

Regardless I am not going to point a finger at anybody. I don't care.

All I care about is from now forward. 

IMO we are a better team right now that we were a few days ago. 

Not sure if we're better, but I think we have more hope. I for one, am just happy we checked the box. And I'm growing more confident it works out.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What would you like them to ask in February when they can't ask about trades or free agency and won't talk about the draft?   What insightful questions would you ask that haven't been asked already?   Frank certainly didn't want to be there other than to address coaching changes . 

I realize that under the current conditions, it's not easy to talk about a lot of things, but there are so many topics that are open for discussion. You had a whole season that just finished you can ask about. Superman mentioned a lot of them already - player evaluation, areas for improvement, things he's happy with on the current roster and wants to keep for next season... just in general questions about the state of the roster. I'd love to hear about tendencies he's seen throughout the league that have made an impression on him, I'd love to hear what he thinks separates our current roster from the best teams in the league, they are talking about moving Q to LT... I'd love to hear what they consider important traits and skills for that position and whether Q has those, etc. and this is without even going into anything advanced Xs and Os... Also, notice that it's not my job to come up with questions... it's THEIRS. It's what they are at least partially being paid for(I'm just saying a ton of the questions they go for are incredibly banal and boring). But instead here's what we got:

-17 questions and among them:

--- how important is getting the QB position right? yes, this was an actual question. You can spot the uninspiring quote begging questions from a mile away - in general they are in the form of "how important is..." or "how much..." and the answer cannot be anything but "very important" or "very much" and from then on you rely on your interviewee to carry the water for you and get you the quote you need. It's questions you know the answer to, but you will ask anyway just so you can have the quote from the HC, GM, player, etc.

--- how important is a QB's confidence for playing the game? Can you imagine an answer other than - very important.

--- how important was retaining Matt Eberflus for continuity? ... 

--- "How much do you enjoy coming up with a creative way... do you embrace the challenge of having your system fit the QB you have?"(this is the 3d question on this topic... notice I didn't include the first 2 here, because there is some value to understanding Frank's view on how you plan the offense based on your QB's skillset. But come on... I'm almost certain this reporter is writing a story about the "challenges" of it and didn't quite get the quote he needed so... lets go back to it and ask the same question in 3d different way... 

--- "How much have you self-evaluated about 4th down decisions" 

--- "How important was your previous relationship with Philip Rivers and his knowledge of the offense in terms of getting things rolling more quickly and how much benefit is that for any QB coming into a new situation." I almost feel bad for including this one, because it's kind of a creative cheeky way to ask about Wentz without asking about Wentz... BUT... notice.... it's the exact same quote begging, uninspired question, whether it's about Rivers or Wentz... it doesn't matter if they were allowed to mention Wentz in this situation. The question is the same garbage that you already know the answer to... in fact... you probably have asked the exact same quesiton last year about Rivers. 

Frank is a freaking trooper for going through with this, BTW. He is giving thoughtful answers and expounding on even the most eyeroll inducing questions. This media market is lucky to have him(and Ballard) to do their job for them, but I can't help but feel like those press-conferences and interviews are being wasted on such dull and unremarkable interviewers. 

So between 35-40% is what I would call "quote begging" questions that don't add much of anything and don't serve much of any purpose but to be a filler to a boring story, questions you(and everybody else) know the answer to but ask anyway just so you can put the quote in a story. 

Now, I probably wasn't fair in painting the entire group with this broad of a brush, because some of them actually seem to do good job and I will retract that broad of a generalization on my part. For example, both Joel Erickson and Kevin Bowen I thought asked reasonable questions in this one. Holder too...

I think you underestimate those reporters that follow the team daily and overestimate your opinion who has never talked to anyone within the organization. 

I mean... I don't know if I overestimate my opinion. I don't even know what that means. It's MY opinion after all... if I didn't hold it in high regard, I wouldn't hold it. I realize I might be wrong on some things, though. I'm very much welcoming of other opinions that might change mine. Very few if any of my opinions are set in stone. 

7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Where do you live?

I live in Bulgaria. I've been following different sports teams throughout my life in my home country, in the US(NBA, NFL), In Europe - Spanish La Liga(soccer), British Premier League(soccer), German Bundesliga(soccer), Champions league(soccer), Euroleague(basketball), etc.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Advanced football stuff would be nice also. Before we can get there, how about some focus on player evaluation, what areas of the roster he wants to see improved, his thoughts on performances from last year, etc. 

YES! If they can't talk about Wentz, why waste 6-7 questions on it instead of going for things that are available for you to talk about. You just had a whole season full of football to talk about. You are in a period that is dedicated for improving the roster. Ask him about what needs to be improved. Ask him about what he loved from the team last year and what he wants to keep going forward. They've been talking about Q transitioning to LT potentially. Why not ask him what are the traits and skills required from that position that are different than LG? Does Q possess those? And if not yet, what's the things he will need to work on to make the transition? Ask him broad questions about the league, new tendencies he's seen, etc... There is so much you can ask about without going into "how important is continuity" or "how important is confidence for the QB"... questions you've heard the answer to a million times by a million people and it's never "confidence is overrated... the more shaken the QB is the better".... 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if it was ever a "character" issue. Sounds more like attitude to me. Purely my opinion, but he's a smart guy, has likely read everything written about him, and knows he needs to embrace this chance. If he chokes at Indy, he's likely done. Hoping he's self aware, and comes in with a fresh perspective and attitude. Regardless, I'm not sure fixing him, is really a monumental task the more I read, and the more I think about things. If his mechanics fell apart in one year, he should be able to fix them in an offseason. Sounds like he just got sloppy, and that was compounded by a lot of external things. Or one could say a lot of external things created a negative situation, and he became sloppy (perhaps stopped caring).

Whatever it is/was, I'm just not near as worried as I once was. Like I said, I think he'll return to at minimum 2019 form, and not sure Reich will have a lot to do with it. I think the freshness (new team, new city) will create a new attitude. And the OL and overall quality of the team in Indy will resonate.

I think I'm back to being more concerned about Reich lol... I don't buy all the QB whisperer stuff. Sure he's had musical chairs to deal with, but overall I credit his conservative scheme more than anything. And that's great when you're working with chaos or musical chairs. Not sure it'll be good enough to go deep once the chaos and musical chairs stop.

I don’t think I buy the QB whisperer thing either. At the very least...I need to see proof of concept on a draft pick or a really young QB before I would entertain it, instead of going back to the well (twice now). 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree. The toxic coaching stuff/awful org. angle was the immediate narrative I (unsurprisingly) saw with many Colts fans.

I don’t think he was a “locker room cancer”...a term that gets way overused and misused. But you would have to have not read a single thing written about Wentz since 2019 to objectively believe that he didn’t play a role in the downfall...or that he was some sort of victim or casualty in all of this. Even former PHI players have said that there were issues from a teammate/leadership standpoint. And that’s on top of the coaching disconnect that reportedly went on this past year.

But because it’s Ballard making the move, it becomes perceived that PHI is just a bad and inferior org. who alienated and bungled a franchise QB...and Ballard got a steal because that’s what he does.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I don’t think I buy the QB whisperer thing either. At the very least...I need to see proof of concept on a draft pick or a really young QB before I would entertain it, instead of going back to the well (twice now). 

I'm not a subscriber so I can't read this Indy Star article - but the teaser says "Quarterbacks throw 26% more TDs, 20% fewer INTs and take 40% fewer sacks with Frank Reich coaching them."

If anyone has access behind the paywall and can provide commentary on whether there's any real meat in the article, it'd be appreciated.

• Like 1

I've talked to people back in North Dakota who knew Wentz when he was at ND State. They had nothing but high praise for his character and the quality of person he was at that time. They thought he was in a toxic situation in Philly, for what that's worth. 

All that said, this could not have been a one sided affair. Wentz and Pederson's relationship went off the rails, for whatever reason, and it got worse, not better, from everything I've read. I'm sure they both bear some responsibility, though you would hope your head coach had the ability to find a path to make things work. He obviously didn't, which is one reason he's unemployed right now. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

100%.  I don't want NE style reporting either but sometimes the Indy press corps are just not athletically inclined.

In addition to some of the examples from @stitches:

- Was your offense restricted last season by having a less mobile QB? If so, in what ways?

- Your offense was bottom third in play action attempts last season. Can you talk about how play action fits in your offense, and how it might be affected by the physical ability of the QB?

- Your defense had some really good stretches, but was less effective against good QBing. (Example, short clock but long TD drives against the Bills/Packers, etc.) What will it take for the defense to take another step forward this season?

- What will be Press Taylor's role on the staff? Will that differ from his role in Philly?

- You went from a RB coach with decades of experience, to one who hasn't played or directly coached RBs so far. What went into that decision and what kind of impact might it have on the RB group?

- At what positions do you think you most need improved playmaking?

- How do you think the limited college season, no Combine, and restricted travel might impact prospect evaluation?

- To what extent, if any, do you think being the primary play caller impacts your game management and decision making?

- Do you still have weekly protection meetings like you did in 2018? How might those be impacted by the changes on the coaching staff?

Just saying, there's a lot of meat out there. Don't have to keep gnawing at the same bone.

Imagine this group trying to cover Gregg Popovich...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can tell you all how this is going to go.

If Wentz does his first press conference wearing a ridiculous colorful outfit trying to look like Cam Newton you guys are in trouble.

If he shows up in a hoodie or camo he is back to his roots and will do great.

Thats my prediction. 

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, NDSU_Guy said:

I can tell you all how this is going to go.

If Wentz does his first press conference wearing a ridiculous colorful outfit trying to look like Cam Newton you guys are in trouble.

If he shows up in a hoodie or camo he is back to his roots and will do great.

Thats my prediction. 

What's with his sleeve on the throwing arm? It's super distracting watching him play with it. 

9 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Agree. The toxic coaching stuff/awful org. angle was the immediate narrative I (unsurprisingly) saw with many Colts fans.

I don’t think he was a “locker room cancer”...a term that gets way overused and misused. But you would have to have not read a single thing written about Wentz since 2019 to objectively believe that he didn’t play a role in the downfall...or that he was some sort of victim or casualty in all of this. Even former PHI players have said that there were issues from a teammate/leadership standpoint. And that’s on top of the coaching disconnect that reportedly went on this past year.

But because it’s Ballard making the move, it becomes perceived that PHI is just a bad and inferior org. who alienated and bungled a franchise QB...and Ballard got a steal because that’s what he does.

I'm one of those people that is skeptical that his attitude was a significant contributor to the problems at Philly.  It sounds more like his attitude clashed with others' and that some others expected him to change his attitude to accommodate.  That could be one definition of leadership, that one person is suppose to alter their approach to accommodate others.  When the real solution to the problem might be to have others' change their attitude to accommodate him.  In a clash of attitudes, exactly who is the one that's suppose to change?  

In order to understand the issues, which I don't care to, you would have to drill down so far as to understand who did what when under what circumstance, and who said what, and see how everybody responded to different things.  Way to complex.

So when reports come out that Wentz, or anybody else for that matter, had issues from a teammate/leadership standpoint, that is not really something that can be verified as objective, or even something where we could say that clear perception or judgment was used before the opinion formed.

Frank doesn't seem to have a big issue, or at least feels he may have better insight into the dynamics in Philly.  And we should all judge by how Wentz handles things that we see for ourselves.    If our locker room has a more homogeneous culture, more of a focus on ignoring petty differences to focus more on a common goal, I would assume that diversity of personalities will be less problematic than what they had in Philly.

16 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yup. There's just not a lot I can contribute solely to Reich. His scheme, in itself, is conservative and promotes efficiency in general. His time play calling with the Chargers as OC doesn't scream anything genius, nor did the QB play. His time in Philly as a non-play calling OC is cloudy in terms of what you can contribute to him vs other factors. I give him credit for rolling with the punches in Indy, but I don't see anything that really can't be contributed to a conservative scheme.

As far as Wentz is concerned, we all know he played well in 17 when Reich was around. He also played pretty well in 19 without Reich, and IMO, with a somewhat worse surrounding cast than 17. Now he'll have a great OL again assuming we solve for LT. He'll have a conservative scheme with a better running attack to reduce the pressure on him. He'll have a better D to further reduce the pressure. And he'll have a new, refreshed attitude. My gut says he'll return to 19 form by mid season, and not sure there's a lot of "whisperer" needed to do that. If that happens, I'm sure the Reich fans will credit him. Not saying he won't deserve some credit, but I think the OL, conservative scheme, running attack, D, and new attitude will be the bigger factors.