Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any chance of Marcus Johnson returning?

He had 5 receptions in 2017. 

I don't think the Colts will look to bring him back. Maybe if there was an injury during the season and he was available but I think they have other guys they like more even at the end of the receiver depth chart.

He might be invited to camp...   but it’s hard to see him making our team.

The ‘21 draft class of WRs is said to be as great as the ‘20 class.   The ‘21 FA class is said to be good too.   Ballard will no doubt want one of those, maybe two of those guys?

And we still might bring back TYH. 

We also have young WRs that we are grooming that the club thinks have potential. That WR is going to get crowded. 

So...  maybe, but doubtful? 

He made some nice contributions for a few weeks when he was brought up, but the FO obviously wasn't afraid of him getting snatched away since they seemingly reverted him back to the PS squad every week.  

My thoughts on MJ (Marcus Johnson, not Michael Jordan) are that he's very fast, he's got pretty solid hands and he can make some pretty impressive catches.  He also doesn't run good routes - Rivers hardly ever took a shot deep last season until MJ was brought up and then there were a few games in a row where they connected deep.  Other teams simply hadn't seen that out of the Colts' O until that and once they figured to game plan for it (after 2-3 weeks of fresh tape) they totally shut MJ down.  I think he's kind of a one-trick pony and once teams figure him out he's easy to take out of the game -- that could change, but it seems like he's been like that most of his career.

With Pittman, Campbell, Pascal, Dulin, Patmon, and DeMichael Harris all coming back - I would expect Johnson to not make the roster.  If TY comes back, his chances go down even further.  If we bring in another FA or draft a WR, his chances go down even further than that.  

All that said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him invited to camp.  I would have to look up the newer PS rules, but if he's still eligible to be on a PS, I wouldn't be shocked to see him there.  After all, he does know our system and he is making himself notorious for being brought off the PS for a handful of games per year and making a few big plays and then disappearing.  

On 2/24/2021 at 1:29 AM, CurBeatElite said:

He made some nice contributions for a few weeks when he was brought up, but the FO obviously wasn't afraid of him getting snatched away since they seemingly reverted him back to the PS squad every week.  

My thoughts on MJ (Marcus Johnson, not Michael Jordan) are that he's very fast, he's got pretty solid hands and he can make some pretty impressive catches.  He also doesn't run good routes - Rivers hardly ever took a shot deep last season until MJ was brought up and then there were a few games in a row where they connected deep.  Other teams simply hadn't seen that out of the Colts' O until that and once they figured to game plan for it (after 2-3 weeks of fresh tape) they totally shut MJ down.  I think he's kind of a one-trick pony and once teams figure him out he's easy to take out of the game -- that could change, but it seems like he's been like that most of his career.

With Pittman, Campbell, Pascal, Dulin, Patmon, and DeMichael Harris all coming back - I would expect Johnson to not make the roster.  If TY comes back, his chances go down even further.  If we bring in another FA or draft a WR, his chances go down even further than that.  

All that said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him invited to camp.  I would have to look up the newer PS rules, but if he's still eligible to be on a PS, I wouldn't be shocked to see him there.  After all, he does know our system and he is making himself notorious for being brought off the PS for a handful of games per year and making a few big plays and then disappearing.  

I think you nailed it. Johnson just doesn't have it as a route runner. He was never open after his initial flurry of catches, and it became obvious that both Rivers and the team lost confidence in him, and moved on. He'd be a camp body, a best, next season.

Archived