Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

This isn’t news. Anyone could claim we are interested. There are probably 30 other teams as well. 

I mean, that's not even up for debate.  There ARE at least thirty other teams in the league....  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 9:40 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of people keep saying Pitt because of his brothers but that will be almost impossible, Pitt is way over the Salary Cap as in 30,000,000 over.

Mutual interest is there.  Out of the few teams with interest and cap space we are his best chance at a SB.  I bet he's a Colt by the end of the week. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I'm wondering if J.J. would consider the Bucs. They are a super bowl team after all, and possibly his best chance for a ring. 

Could they even afford him if they resign Godwin and Barrett? 

 

 

I don't know why more people aren't considering Von Miller. I know he's coming off a very bad injury but if he's rehabilitated, 100% healthy, and will be ready for training camp then sign him. When the report of him being investigated by Denver police, it didn't give any details on why he was being investigated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Mutual interest is there.  Out of the few teams with interest and cap space we are his best chance at a SB.  I bet he's a Colt by the end of the week. 

Huh? Other teams who have expressed interest are Browns, Bills, and Packers. Others have but there are 3 teams with a very good potential at a SB and many would say 2 for sure over the Colts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The interesting thing is that we have the 4th most cap space.... and WE will have to count our pennies to bring in ONE high quality FA (We have a few of our own that need resigned)

 

In the past 5 years, Watt has had 1.5 Sacks in  2016, ZERO sacks in 2017, 16 sacks in 2018, 4 sacks in 2019, 5 sacks in 2020

 

He is well past his prime......  he is much more likely to get 4 or 5 sacks than 12-15.

 

In a perfect world, Id like to have Watt, but I think DE is an area we DO need a performer if we are

going to spend the FA $

 

At a REALLY cheap price, of course there should be interest...... 

 

But SOMEONE on the 2021 team needs to be able to apply pressure and get some sacks....

Or KC will eat our lunch

 

Today, at DE, we have unproven and aging talent. There isnt a 10 sack guy at DE on this current roster

 

This draft has some excellent LT candidates. 

 

I would go LT, TE, CB in the draft

 

I would spend the limited FA cash on a pass rushing DE

 

Watt is no longer the difference maker that he once was......

 

If I had ONE choice at FA defensive end.... he wouldnt be it 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The interesting thing is that we have the 4th most cap space.... and WE will have to count our pennies to bring in ONE high quality FA (We have a few of our own that need resigned)

 

In the past 5 years, Watt has had 1.5 Sacks in  2016, ZERO sacks in 2017, 16 sacks in 2018, 4 sacks in 2019, 5 sacks in 2020

 

He is well past his prime......  he is much more likely to get 4 or 5 sacks than 12-15.

 

In a perfect world, Id like to have Watt, but I think DE is an area we DO need a performer if we are

going to spend the FA $

 

At a REALLY cheap price, of course there should be interest...... 

 

But SOMEONE on the 2021 team needs to be able to apply pressure and get some sacks....

Or KC will eat our lunch

 

Today, at DE, we have unproven and aging talent. There isnt a 10 sack guy at DE on this current roster

 

This draft has some excellent LT candidates. 

 

I would go LT, TE, CB in the draft

 

I would spend the limited FA cash on a pass rushing DE

 

Watt is no longer the difference maker that he once was......

 

If I had ONE choice at FA defensive end.... he wouldnt be it 

 

 

Watt was the most double teamed player last year and is top 2 or 3 every year. He played a 3-4 scheme. Put him in our 4-3 front and if they double him it frees up others. Buckner is the guy getting doubled now and still had great pressure rate and 9.5 sacks. Watt would be able to have a good year IMO. Better than you are saying. 
 

I do agree though that with the money we have we will need to be more frugal which prices out of Watt. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Watt was the most double teamed player last year and is top 2 or 3 every year. He played a 3-4 scheme. Put him in our 4-3 front and if they double him it frees up others. Buckner is the guy getting doubled now and still had great pressure rate and 9.5 sacks. Watt would be able to have a good year IMO. Better than you are saying. 

Ultimately you may be right. I would LOVE to have Watt on this team....

 

He might have a good year.  I think you would agree that there is at least some significant risk, looking at his last 5 years.

 

IMHO he is a risky, high cost FA pick up.

 

Because of age, injury history, less performance..... he would be someone that I would stay away from... unless he can be had on the cheap

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Watt was the most double teamed player last year and is top 2 or 3 every year. He played a 3-4 scheme. Put him in our 4-3 front and if they double him it frees up others. Buckner is the guy getting doubled now and still had great pressure rate and 9.5 sacks. Watt would be able to have a good year IMO. Better than you are saying. 
 

I do agree though that with the money we have we will need to be more frugal which prices out of Watt. 

On top of being double teamed the most he was able to get a very high number of pressures last year.  Maybe the most in the league.  Next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I think we have a good chance of signing him because of our situation and cap space.  The other teams you mentioned have their own players they need to sign and some very good ones and cap space is tight for them.   I really like our chances and he will not command big dollars like the other ER's in FA.  I can see Ballard giving him a Houston type contract.  2yrs. 12m per.  That leaves plenty for another WR or an OL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ultimately you may be right. I would LOVE to have Watt on this team....

 

He might have a good year.  I think you would agree that there is at least some significant risk, looking at his last 5 years.

 

IMHO he is a risky, high cost FA pick up.

 

Because of age, injury history, less performance..... he would be someone that I would stay away from... unless he can be had on the cheap

I don’t disagree at all. I mean you are paying for someone that could miss half the season with a back injury. But the upside is there as well. Him and Buckner not being doubled and both getting 10+ sacks is there as well. Possibilities are endless. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

On top of being double teamed the most he was able to get a very high number of pressures last year.  Maybe the most in the league.  Next to Buckner he could really have a big year.  I think we have a good chance of signing him because of our situation and cap space.  The other teams you mentioned have their own players they need to sign and some very good ones and cap space is tight for them.   I really like our chances and he will not command big dollars like the other ER's in FA.  I can see Ballard giving him a Houston type contract.  2yrs. 12m per.  That leaves plenty for another WR or an OL. 

Hey if he wants to be here and agrees to a 2 year 12 mil per that would be awesome. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I don't know why more people aren't considering Von Miller. I know he's coming off a very bad injury but if he's rehabilitated, 100% healthy, and will be ready for training camp then sign him. When the report of him being investigated by Denver police, it didn't give any details on why he was being investigated. 

He is/was being investigated for domestic violence. The injury plus the looming investigation should be enough to scare most teams away, and I think it completely takes us out of any potential pursuit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, this is a better version of the Houston acquisition.  If you can do it, do it.  He can still play, plus brings intangibles and leadership, and it certainly doesn't hurt that it would energize the fan base and sell tickets.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I cracked JJ’s cryptic tweet!

he tweeted:

 

“Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.”

 

Mitochondria has the same amount of letters as Indianapolis! Plus, the Colts have been the powerhouse of the AFC South throughout his whole career! 
 

If he cant beat us, join us right!???:thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Not surprised.  I said it earlier in this thread.  I bet he's a Colt by the end of the week.  

There is definitely nothing holding it back, he can be signed at anytime, doesn't have to wait till FA starts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

I think I cracked JJ’s cryptic tweet!

he tweeted:

 

“Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.”

 

Mitochondria has the same amount of letters as Indianapolis! Plus, the Colts have been the powerhouse of the AFC South throughout his whole career! 
 

If he cant beat us, join us right!???:thmup:

Congratulations!  You cracked the code.  People in Buffalo thinks it's Buffalobills.  Same amount of letters.  But your explanation hit the nail on the head.  And Jason Spear's tweet also points in that direction.  Watt is a high priority for Ballard.  I think he is going to join us.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Word is that it's down to Buffalo , Tenn and Cleveland. Also read that there is an offer for around 16 million on the table. I have a hard time believing the Colts would spend that kind of money on JJ as he's getting up there in age . Plus you have the injury history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, IndyEric07 said:

I think I cracked JJ’s cryptic tweet!

he tweeted:

 

“Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.”

 

Mitochondria has the same amount of letters as Indianapolis! Plus, the Colts have been the powerhouse of the AFC South throughout his whole career! 
 

If he cant beat us, join us right!???:thmup:

 

Powerhouse of the AFC South??

 

....we haven't won the division since 2014.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

I'd rather spend that money on a high quality OT, like Trent Williams, if he's not tagged..

I can't get past the argument that they won't spend that much money on the offensive line with contracts for Kelly, Nelson and Smith either signed or on the way. I think they have to go with a rookie at tackle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Powerhouse of the AFC South??

 

....we haven't won the division since 2014.

Actually if you look at the entire picture since the divisions got re-aligned in 2002 we would be the only team out of the 4 teams (others being the Texans, Titans, and Jags) that have even been relevant. Those other teams have never even played in a SB (Titans did in 1999) but I am talking since the AFC South was formed. We have been to 2 SB's and won 1. No other teams have ever been scared of the Texans, Titans, or Jags I would be safe to say but when we had Peyton that were scared poopless to face us and even when we had a healthy Luck teams were scared as well. In 2018 when we won the playoff game at Houston with Luck that showed everyone that we were the better team when healthy. Houston was loaded that season with Watson, Hopkins, Watt, and Clowney and the game was over at halftime with Luck healthy.

 

As long as we make the playoffs it doesn't even bother me that we don't win the division. A lot of teams that win their division stink it up in the playoffs. I would rather make a Title Game or a SB than win my division if I had to choose between the choices. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually if you look at the entire picture since the divisions got re-aligned in 2002 we would be the only team out of the 4 teams (others being the Texans, Titans, and Jags) that have even been relevant. Those other teams have never even played in a SB (Titans did in 1999) but I am talking since the AFC South was formed. We have been to 2 SB's and won 1. No other teams have ever been scared of the Texans, Titans, or Jags I would be safe to say but when we had Peyton that were scared poopless to face us and even when we had a healthy Luck teams were scared as well. In 2018 when we won the playoff game at Houston with Luck that showed everyone that we were the better team when healthy. Houston was loaded that season with Watson, Hopkins, Watt, and Clowney and the game was over at halftime with Luck healthy.

 

As long as we make the playoffs it doesn't even bother me that we don't win the division. A lot of teams that win their division stink it up in the playoffs. I would rather make a Title Game or a SB than win my division if I had to choose between the choices. 

 

I would say the AFC South doesn't really have a 'powerhouse ' in the last decade or so. 

The Titans have been the Best team the last 2 seasons and the Texans were the team before them.

We certainly haven't done too well since the first 3 seasons of Luck. I think only 2 winning seasons and 2 wild card appearances and 1 playoff win since then. That's not what I call a powerhouse. 

 

Now of course if we go back to the Peyton, Dungy, and Polian days we were elite. Are expectations were nothing less than a Super Bowl !!!

Watching our offense with Peyton,  marvin, Reggie, and company was like watching Babe Ruth and his murders row lineup.

Yeah disappointing only 2 super bowls and winning only one of them BUT they were a awesome joy to watch for over a decade and gave us tons of enjoyment that will probably never be repeated.

Most wins ever in a Decade.

That's a Powerhouse. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Another reason why I think the Steelers might be ideal second trade partners is that they have a 4th Round compensation pick 13 picks later but no pick in Round 5.   Do like the Walker Little pick and hope he does slide to say the 4th and we could nab him.
    • JB is not my favorite QB. But even I would never compare him to the likes of the guys on that list. He is much more in the Hasselback group.    But I also disagree with putting Grigs on that list as well. He wasn’t a disaster or an embarrassment...he was just a disappointment in the end. A guy who couldn’t evaluate talent nearly as well as he did early in his career. And he was an unlikeable guy (which has always made me wonder how he sold Irsay on giving him the job).    But plenty of GMs fail to get there with a star QB...especially early in that QB’s career. Only one team gets to win the SB each year.    I mean...just look at Polian. He got there eventually...but he was gifted PFM...and didn’t win a playoff game until the 6th season. Grigs had won 3 by his 3rd season...and had just as many playoff appearances (3) as Polian over their first 5 seasons. Polian is a HOFer...but my point is that it’s not easy even when you get a great QB.   And as I have said before...Luck was great and my favorite player of all time...but he wasn’t quite Mahomes or Rodgers good...they are true Ferraris. He made mistakes and also didn’t exactly light it it up in January either. I think his prime would have been something to behold and maybe he would have taken his game to a new level...but injuries unfortunately derailed that (which I think many parties are to blame for...not just Grigs).   The guys on that list brought nothing to this org...Grigs at least managed to oversee a winning roster for years. A 49-31 record (.612 winning %) with a 3-3 playoff record, in 5 years, is far from a disaster. If you want to see what a true disaster looks like...it’s what has happened in HOU...where their FO has wasted a QB who (IMO) might be even better than Luck.   So far, Ballard has been superior in just about every facet. But the results are still the results. We can discount 2017...but without it the Colts are still just 28-20 (a .583 winning %) and 1-2 in the playoffs so far. Yes, he has only had Luck for one of those seasons...but that’s just another way of saying he needed Luck to win more games (to win more playoff games). And that’s the argument I always hear to vilify Grigs...that he only won because of Luck. Seems like a double standard...and not the only one.   I think most Colts fans have become huge fans of the process...and that’s great. It’s might be my favorite part of sports. But there are those that are still results-oriented...and I can understand why some might be asking what does it all without the results? This season will be huge to answering that question. 
    • Relax....i was paraphrasing a Bill Tobin quote . Tobin went off on Kiper when the Colts drafted Trev Alberta instead of Trent Dilfer. 
    • @Superman   @w87r   So, among many things, I get e-mail from Sports Illustrated every day.   And the other day,  there was this article written by Andew Brandt, who used to handle the contracts and salary cap issues for the Packers for 10 years.    And one thing he wrote jumped off the page at me.     Now, here's why I remind our two resident Salary Cap experts I noted above about something they have both talked about,  but I haven't seen either of them talk about this year.   Roll Over.   According to Brandt,  the Colts have the MOST SALARY CAP ROLLOVER in the NFL.   $30 MIl.    So, whatever the general 2021 team salary cap turns out to be,  you can add $30 Mill for the Colts.     I'm going to do two things.     I'm going to link the entire article for everyone.    It's free, non-premium,   and I'm also going to cut and paste the key section for everyone to read right here.      OK....    here's the article...      And just for discussion purposes,  Brandt uses a projected salary cap of $185.   He's NOT saying that's what the final number will be,  only his own hypothetical number for his article.   https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/02/business-of-football-understanding-the-salary-cap-dead-money?suid=5cc1cc3a3f92a475c0234f43&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 030221&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List     Here is the key text:   Myth: Every NFL team’s cap number is going to be $185 million   No. Actually, no team’s cap number is going to be $185 million (or whatever the final cap number is). The 2011 CBA, for the first time, allowed teams to carry over unused cap room from one year to the next. In managing the cap for the Packers, we did not have that option; it was use it or lose it. I had to negotiate * incentives—such as a clause giving our third-string quarterback $20 million if he threw seven touchdowns in our last game—to carry over cap room. (When he didn’t earn the incentive, we would get it as a credit toward the next year.) Now teams don’t have to play those games. As per NFLPA numbers, every team in the league has carried over 2020 cap room, from a low of roughly $500,000 for the Ravens to a high of more than $30 million for the Colts. Teams carrying over $20-plus million of cap include the Jets, Browns, Eagles, Cowboys and Jaguars. Thus, although the team cap is $185 million, the Colts’ adjusted cap will be around $215 million, and so on. And again, these teams have been preparing, or should have been preparing, for this reduced cap for months.   What say you both, Superman and w87r?     What do you think of what Brandt has written?    Does everyone have to re-do their off-season mocks reflecting a team figure of $215?     I look forward to hearing from both of you and others!
  • Members

    • OhioColt

      OhioColt 99

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DaColts85

      DaColts85 403

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DiogoSales

      DiogoSales 75

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 6,430

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cdgacoltsfan

      cdgacoltsfan 576

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...