Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Get ty signed.

bleed blue4life

35 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

TY was special with Andrew Luck, they knew what the other was thinking. But without Andrew luck he is average imo and It hurts to say that. as much as I loved watching him play with Luck, and light the league on fire, he is done in indianapolis. 

To be fair most of the quarterbacks he played with who were not Andrew had either low arm strength when he played with them (Hasselbeck and Rivers) or where not able to hit downfield targets (Brissett).  Both of which hamstring TY because he is most effective when the DB's are scared of him going deep on them.  (Even a lot of his not deep routes are set up in part by making the DB afraid he's gonna go deep.)

That said I'm not opposed to moving on.  I think regardless of all of that he's probably lost a step.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we would resign TY earlier in the off-season. I wanted too. 

But now, I don't think I'm as interested from purely a football mindset. He's one of my favorite Colts ever, but it just makes little sense.

We don't need that voice in the locker room anymore, and he has shown his hands aren't as great too. 

His stats aren't what bothered me, it was his disappearance in half the games. He had 3 or 4 crucial drops right off the top of my head. 

I've started to like the idea of drafting offensive playmakers at the top of the draft via defense(unless a top talent falls).

There are so many edge rushers in free agency & they won't have to develop for 2-3 years. Plus, this is the one area Ballard & his staff is not the best at drafting. 

Draft LT + WR in the first two rounds. 

Sign Edge, CB, and TE in FA(Henry or Everett preferably).

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is a leader here.   Im guessing he isn't going to get huge offers in FA.  I bet he is back for a 1 year deal

Most teams have little to no cap space

The FAs that plan on breaking the bank.....  had better plan again.......   I predict very few will get monster contracts including TY

2 hours ago, colts89 said:

He would still be a good #2 option at this point of his career for a 2 year contract. If he is willing to be payed as such, then Ballard would be considering it.

My only issue is that we really need a #1 type guy at Z. It's my personal preference certainly, but I've always like Xs as #2 guys. I do think Pittman will take a big step forward this year, but just not sure if he can, or really should be, our #1 in general. I'd prefer TY move to primary slot, and be the backup/rotational guy at Z. Move Campbell out to Z, or bring in or draft a guy if you're not confident he can stay healthy. The wildcard in all of this is also how Harris develops. Kid has major speed and twitch. Just not sure if he can put it all together.

24 minutes ago, BillCoslosky87 said:

I would be shocked if he's a Colt in 2021.

Given all the FA holes, and that we have 5 that are high $ position, I'd be a little surprised if he is too. That is unless he's very team friendly. 

PFF predicts the following...

Prediction: Colts sign Hilton for three years, $28.5 million ($9.5M APY): $18 million total guaranteed, $10 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Given we have 43M (likely a little less as Stallworth's new extension is not counted yet) and have to solve for at least 3 of 5 positions (2DE, CB2, WR1, LT and possibly TE2/3, MIKE) with that 43Mish, I just can't see us giving him 3 years and close to 30M.

PFF ranks him the 39 best FA available, and 8th best WR. I wouldn't mind seeing us take a run at Fuller or AB to be honest.

I believe Ballard will allow TY to test the market to see what his league value is and then Ballard will make him a fair offer on a 1-2 yr deal to give TY the opportunity to remain and finish his career here.  Ballard will not over pay out of loyalty, he'll let the market set the price and make a fair offer.  The ball will be in TY's court but, I do believe there is a very good chance he is resigned.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:35 AM, TheBlueAndWhite said:

TY was special with Andrew Luck, they knew what the other was thinking. But without Andrew luck he is average imo and It hurts to say that. as much as I loved watching him play with Luck, and light the league on fire, he is done in indianapolis. 

Luck forced many balls his way rather than finding more open receivers.
And there were a lot of INT's to show for it.
 He certainly hasn't earned what his last contract paid him.
Our best bet is that someone pays him setting us up for a comp pick.

The Colts do not have much success bringing in free agent receivers  :dunno:

In my mind, TY is as good as gone and we need to sign someone in free agency. But I’d love for us to take another young WR in the draft also. As pretty much everyone else has said, who knows if Campbell is someone we can rely on with all the crazy injuries.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:51 PM, Imgrandojji said:

Never ever ever eeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr pay a guy for what he used to be.

True. And as a player, Never ever ever eeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr discount your services to a billion dollar business. 

18 hours ago, joecolts said:

I believe Ballard will allow TY to test the market to see what his league value is and then Ballard will make him a fair offer on a 1-2 yr deal to give TY the opportunity to remain and finish his career here.  Ballard will not over pay out of loyalty, he'll let the market set the price and make a fair offer.  The ball will be in TY's court but, I do believe there is a very good chance he is resigned.

Best post in this thread. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

True. And as a player, Never ever ever eeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr discount your services to a billion dollar business. 

Interesting comment.   Are you saying a player should always go to the highest bidder?    Because players discount their services all the time for a wide variety of reasons.   

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting comment.   Are you saying a player should always go to the highest bidder?    Because players discount their services all the time for a wide variety of reasons.   

No, not always. But this is likely TY's last big payday. If I were in his shoes, I would maximize my earnings....to a point. I million more guaranteed?......no. But 5-10 million more guaranteed? Absolutely. 

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No, not always. But this is likely TY's last big payday. If I were in his shoes, I would maximize my earnings....to a point. I million more guaranteed?......no. But 5-10 million more guaranteed? Absolutely. 

My guess, and i've been wrong before,  I bet TY would love nothing more than getting the trophy in Indy.  So while I agree with what you are saying,   I'll bet it will have a lot to do with which team is offering the big money.    Lets say Houston offers the biggest contract.  My guess is he would say no and take less for the Colts, San Fran, Rams, Chiefs etc.   Again JMO

17 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Lets say Houston offers the biggest contract.  My guess is he would say no and take less for the Colts, San Fran, Rams, Chiefs etc.   Again JMO

I would say no myself for a small difference, but not if it meant passing on 5-10 million dollars. 

Just now, Myles said:

So if the Jets offered you 5 million more over 2-3 years,you would sign with them rather than the Colts?

Well, you took the lowest figure I quoted and attached it to the worst team. So basically the far end of my wordage. I guess it would depend on which team I thought could possibly get me through to one more contract. 

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, you took the lowest figure I quoted and attached it to the worst team. So basically the far end of my wordage. I guess it would depend on which team I thought could possibly get me through to one more contract. 

It was intentional to see how far you would go.   Would the money trump a chance at a Super Bowl?

No guarantees at all that after 2 years, another lucrative contract would be available.  

Hilton's net worth is 61 million.  I wouldn't criticize him for signing with a team that offered him the most money, but it would show us what his priorities were. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Good post.   Fair post.

And frankly,  Ballard says the same thing.  A player only has so many top earning years, and if you’re being offered substantially more, you gotta do what’s best for you.

I think because he’s from Florida, I’ve seen TYH mostly linked to Miami and J’Ville.  (Houston also.)   And those states have no state income tax.  I would not be surprised to see him end up those places. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post.   Fair post.

And frankly,  Ballard says the same thing.  A player only has so many top earning years, and if you’re being offered substantially more, you gotta do what’s best for you.

I think because he’s from Florida, I’ve seen TYH mostly linked to Miami and J’Ville.  (Houston also.)   And those states have no state income tax.  I would not be surprised to see him end up those places. 

Pat Mcafee linked him to Tampa on his show with a cool Bruce Arians draft story.... Thinking Tampa looks like a good fit if they can afford him.

13 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

In a heart beat..... They won't be able to earn that kind of money ever again.

I can understand that.   But going to a perennial loser can really have ill effects on your mind and love of the game.  

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I can understand that.   But going to a perennial loser can really have ill effects on your mind and love of the game.  

It is a business. You have a short window to make enough money to last the rest of your life. Take the money just like the rest of us do in the real world. These players cannot afford to play for the love of the game.

Just now, Thebrashandthebold said:

It is a business. You have a short window to make enough money to last the rest of your life. Take the money just like the rest of us do in the real world. These players cannot afford to play for the love of the game.

I'll disagree with that.   Hilton has over $60 million.   He can afford it.  

I don't blame anyone for going where the most money is.  I also wouldn't blame someone for going to the best situation despite it being less money.   I did that myself recently.  I had 3 offers for work.  I didn't take the 1 that paid $10,000 a year more.  The atmosphere wasn't as good as the other 2.  I didn't take the one that paid the least either.   Money was a factor, but not the only one.  I'm not hurting for cash.   I also don't have $60 million.

TY has been banged up recently and his output has dropped accordingly. He's 32, slowing up some, and small. I just don't see a double digit million per year deal out there for him in a cap strapped year for most of the league. He'll likely find out quickly that he's not going to get a lucrative contract. So, where does that leave him? All things being equal, I'd think he'd want to finish as a Colt. But if he were provided with a fair, 1-2 year offer from the Bucs ( 2 years, $12 m, $8m guaranteed ), I could definitely see him taking it for a quick shot at a ring. That's still a pile of money.

I couldn’t find the actual number of drops for TY but there’s some pretty decent receivers with more than him. I think it’s overblown a bit, since he had a couple, early in the year.

He led the team in yards last year. I hope he gets a two year deal here.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

58 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I couldn’t find the actual number of drops for TY but there’s some pretty decent receivers with more than him. I think it’s overblown a bit, since he had a couple, early in the year.

He led the team in yards last year. I hope he gets a two year deal here.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

I've seen him as low as 3, and as high as 5 on the different sites. He improved this last year, but IMO, it's a product of ball/pass quality. Regardless, his drops aren't what worries me.

Frank said Pittman might have been the best the best WR in the 2020 draft.  Whether he is or not, they view Pittman as a #1, so I think they will be perfectly content bringing TY back, if they can.   Then there's Campbell. My guess is they will give Campbell one more year before they make another big move at WR.

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Frank said Pittman might have been the best the best WR in the 2020 draft.  Whether he is or not, they view Pittman as a #1, so I think they will be perfectly content bringing TY back, if they can.   Then there's Campbell. My guess is they will give Campbell one more year before they make another big move at WR.

I think Pittman has high upside, but #1 in the class? That's coach speak.

I doubt they make a big move in FA, or take a WR with either of the first two picks, but I could see them grabbing a Z type in mid to late rounds. Guys are going to drop this year because of covid, and there will be a lot of small school guys that got little press. Then add that there is no typical combine, and were going to see some later round studs. 

Archived