Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe Ballard will allow TY to test the market to see what his league value is and then Ballard will make him a fair offer on a 1-2 yr deal to give TY the opportunity to remain and finish his care

I would guess that the team knows what TY is worth to them. I think's its more than some of you believe....but unfortunately probably less than what other teams are willing to give. 

TY our best option? Not hardly. He’s not what he once was. However, having Wentz should help him if we were to re-sign him

ARob isn’t the only FA WR available. If they all become available...there are actually (4) great options for WR1.

And when you start to weed out teams that won’t be in the market and teams that can’t be in the market (due to cap)...the Colts’ chances of getting one is actually pretty good...(mostly) because of their cap situation but also because of the perception that they are a team that can compete.

Not to mention that there are secondary WR options like Davis and Samuel that are a better bet than a 31 year-old Hilton who is two years removed from being an impact WR.

TY might get re-signed...but I don’t think it will be a priority. Ballard will let him test the market and then check back with the Colts. Some recent social media posts have even alluded to this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like T.Y.  Even if we were to resign him...we still need to add another deep target in my opinion. We can’t rely on Paris Campbell being helpful.  In my mind, our core should be Free Agent Deep Threat (Golliday would be nice), T.Y., Pittman, Pascal, and then Campbell if available.  If not, roll with Harris, Dulin or a rookie WR as the 5th.  

• Like 1

I do hope TY comes back.  I think he would be a fine receiver with Wentz along with the feeling that I think Campbell might be injury prone and TY would give us a legitimate weapon in case he is.  That said we still need to sign another WR.  I'm thinking it's going to be the 27yr. old Agholor who is now a FA with the Raiders.  He also played with Wentz in Philly and should have no problem reconnecting the chemistry.  He shouldn't cost a fortune either.  That would let Ballard go out and spend the big dollars on an ER or LT.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

And when you start to weed out teams that won’t be in the market and teams that can’t be in the market (due to cap)...the Colts’ chances of getting one is actually pretty good...(mostly) because of their cap situation but also because of the perception that they are a team that can compete.

This is an under-discussed factor at the moment imo. The Colts have a big leg up on competition this FA since they're one of few teams with significant cap space available. 

Look at the other teams at the top of the cap space list - Jags, Jets, Bengals, Washington. The Patriots will probably still be a relatively sought after destination, but they're not exactly set up to win at the moment.

I think the Colts easily have the best cap situation in terms of space available + set up to compete.

• Like 1

I'm one that believes TY could have a much better season than the last two. 2019 he had a lot of injuries, and 2020 started out very slow having PR prefer taller receivers. I thought they were getting better as the season went on.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

TY our best option? Not hardly. He’s not what he once was. However, having Wentz should help him if we were to re-sign him

His leadership could be beneficial for Wentz too.  I'd like to see him resigned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

ARob isn’t the only FA WR available. If they all become available...there are actually (4) great options for WR1.

Not to mention that there are secondary WR options like Davis and Samuel that are a better bet than a 31 year-old Hilton who is two years removed from being an impact WR.

TY might get re-signed...but I don’t think it will be a priority. Ballard will let him test the market and then check back with the Colts. Some recent social media posts have even alluded to this.

Theoretically, T.Y. leaving shouldn't be a pressing issue since the Colts have Campbell. Theoretically......

As insurance in case Hilton does go somewhere like Tampa Bay or  Miami, I wouldn't mind Ballard signing a somewhat less expensive guy like Davis or Samuel (as opposed to spending for Godwin, Golladay, or Robinson). Dunno if Agholor would be worth bringing in or not to make Wentz more comfortable. And there will probably  still be some talented slot receivers, certainly on Day Two and probably on Day Three, in the draft.

I wonder if CB would also consider bringing in an older (i.e., non-threatening) vet QB like Hoyer for a year or two to back up Wentz and mentor Eason?

4 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

I would get ty signed on a 2 year deal . I don't see a Robinson coming here asking for tons.  Realistically he is our best option .

Ty is gonna want more than a 2yr deal i think.

I posted this in the other thread... My thoughts on the situation... 

• Back only a very team friendly deal
  • Would love him to retire a Colt
  • Production capability - Medium but declining
  • Leadership - high
  • Can't be seen as WR1 going forward. 
  • Doesn't really get speed separation anymore, but still gets route/cut separation. That really is only beneficial with a QB that anticipates and when they have good chemistry. 
  • Shouldn't be Z1, so should either be Z2, Slot1, or simply a floater between the Z and slot within the WR rotation. 
  • With the overall cap shrinkage, several teams in a cap bind, better WR FAs available, and a good WR draft class, doubt he gets a lot of strong offers.

IMO, he'd be better off taking less and coming back to Indy where he's familiar with scheme, players, and coaching. I'm not opposed to a 2 year deal, but would prefer one year unless it's very friendly. 

In terms of impact to Wentz, let's not forget Wentz IIRC is the only QB to ever throw 4000+ while not having a WR over 500 yards. Point being, he can deal it around and doesn't have to have "a" guy. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be better off, with "a" guy, just means he's likely to throw it to a lot of different guys regardless. And that's kinda Frank's O anyway. And given Wentz and TY have zero chemistry and TY doesn't really get "speed" separation, I'm not sure that we wouldn't be better off with more of a speed guy. Not saying Wentz can't build that chemistry with TY, just that it takes longer to build it with a route/cut guy with diminishing speed. 

Overall, I doubt we show down the high priced FA aisle. I think we shop for a FA deal (1-2 years), trade back the first and draft a WR in the 2nd-4th rounds, and "try" to bring back TY. Regardless, I think they will give TY plenty of time to test the market. I doubt he get big offers.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Ty is gonna want more than a 2yr deal i think.

I'm sure he wants a long term deal, but how many WRs of that age (he'll turn 32 this year) get a lucrative deal longer than 2 years? His speed is diminishing, this is a shrinking cap year, and a good WR year in the draft. His lack of size will also be a concern for a lot of teams. 

I know it's a debatable topic, but I really think switching to slot would help his career. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I do hope TY comes back.  I think he would be a fine receiver with Wentz along with the feeling that I think Campbell might be injury prone and TY would give us a legitimate weapon in case he is.  That said we still need to sign another WR.  I'm thinking it's going to be the 27yr. old Agholor who is now a FA with the Raiders.  He also played with Wentz in Philly and should have no problem reconnecting the chemistry.  He shouldn't cost a fortune either.  That would let Ballard go out and spend the big dollars on an ER or LT.  

That's who is on my radar.

Agholor.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I agree I was on the fence but I now believe having Carson Wentz under center will help TY & vice versa so as long as the price is right & he is the best option lets get him signed post haste .

6 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

I would get ty signed on a 2 year deal . I don't see a Robinson coming here asking for tons.  Realistically he is our best option .

We can’t resign him until Feb 27th....

3 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

I thought Agholor had an issue with Wentz when they were together in Indy?   Or was that not true?

Couldn't of been true, they haven't been together in Indy.

Only thing I saw in a quick google search was Agholor denied having a burner account bashing Wentz?

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Couldn't of been true, they haven't been together in Indy.

Only thing I saw in a quick google search was Agholor denied having a burner account bashing Wentz?

O meant Philly sorry 

I'd rather the Colts look elsewhere for a receiver/s.  

There is an opportunity to restock the receiving corps with legit veteran options whom collectively would be cheaper than paying TY.  The first such player on my radar is Marvin Jones.  His numbers are slightly better than Golladay's over the past few seasons plus he will command only a 1/3-1/2 of TY's contract.  This thread has mentioned Agholor as well.  So why not sign two receivers instead of one?

For instance:

Marvin Jones 3/$21 m and Nelson Agholor 2/$10 m  = $12 m per

v/s

TY Hilton 3/45 m = $15 m per

I think the above makes a compelling case not only to move on from TY, but also not to consider any of the tier 1 receivers as it is a waste of money because there are no superstars available.  Just the best of this class.  The problem with TY is that he expects the Colts to pay him like he is elite to this class.  Teams that hand out these types of sentimental contracts usually end up regretting it soon after.

11 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

O meant Philly sorry 

I knew what you meant, that's why I followed up that statement with the quick google search from their time in Philly.

1 minute ago, Clem-Dog said:

There is an opportunity to restock the receiving corps with legit veteran options whom collectively would be cheaper than paying TY.  The first such player on my radar is Marvin Jones.  His numbers are slightly better than Golladay's over the past few seasons plus he will command only a 1/3-1/2 of TY's contract.  This thread has mentioned Agholor as well.  So why not sign two receivers instead of one?

For instance:

v/s

I think the above makes a compelling case not only to move on from TY, but also not to consider any of the tier 1 receivers as it is a waste of money because there are no superstars available.  Just the best of this class.  The problem with TY is that he expects the Colts to pay him like he is elite to this class.  Teams that hand out these types of sentimental contracts usually end up regretting it soon after.

I just dont see you getting Jones or Nelson at those numbers. Both had very good years in 2020, right around 900 yards, 8/9 TDs each which will get them more in the 8-10+ mill a year each range. Fa get crazy. The one positive is that with the reduced cap number you  will see a lot of teams bid less on FAs and look to the draft to build. This could get some FAs to take 1 year deals and reenter FA next year when the cap goes back up. 

I don;t think the Colts will need to go two FA WRs. Now yes I would go 1 FA WR. You want to stay on the downside of the age 30. Nelson is a nice choice but would be my last. Nelson is limited in his route running. Mainly is good at seams, crossing route, deep digs. Any precise route like a comeback, out, quick slant he does struggle with winning that match up. As one mentioned before him and Carson do have some history. Nelson and Alshon both have voiced there displeasure with Carson targeting Ertz more. That might not be a happy reunion. Smith Schuster is a nice number 2 but needs that number 1 on the other side to get the most out of him so Id stay away from him for the money he will want. Do you really want to pay the money for a Robinson or Godwin in a system that likes to spread the ball around a lot? i'd say no. Plus I dont think Godwin gets the chance to hit the market. Names I really like are Corey Davis or even Curtis Samuel. I think both of them have plenty of room for growth and can be used in a variety of different ways on the field and positions. They should come at a nice number that can be manageable. Could even be a 1 year deal to prove their value. 

Colts draft very well and using a 2nd or 4th round pick on a WR would be more appealing age, growth and cap wise. This is a deep class for WR and the Colts should easily be able to land a nice WR in this draft. Plenty of Ty body type WRs in this draft that could be picked up in the mid rounds. Good hand guys that need some coaching in the route tree department. 

On 2/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, bleed blue 4 life said:

you are crazy , ty is washed up and old for his style .  quick wrs like hilton after 30 are done , while great route running wrs like wayne can last until 35.  hilton relied to much on his speed and his route running was overrated .  When this is the best wr free agent class in a while why not get a 26 year old true number 1 to play with wenz for 5 years .  Ty will be even worse next year and the year after that ,  he is around the value of a pascal right now but pascal can block .  Use your head over your heart , cant win rings with emotional signings . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

For instance:

v/s

One thing that should be noted: TY has familiarity with this team. Maybe not with Wentz but he could be a big part in getting Wentz familiar with nuances of the offense.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I hope it works out for him to end his career here. He not just a speed WR like Deshawn Watson. Who cares if he’s lost a step, he’s still got moves.

Desean Watson  is a quarterback. 

• Like 2
On 2/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, Coltsman1788 said:

I like T.Y.  Even if we were to resign him...we still need to add another deep target in my opinion. We can’t rely on Paris Campbell being helpful.  In my mind, our core should be Free Agent Deep Threat (Golliday would be nice), T.Y., Pittman, Pascal, and then Campbell if available.  If not, roll with Harris, Dulin or a rookie WR as the 5th.  

Golliday is injury prone as well....

Sign free agents for what they can be for you, not what they were.

If viewing T.Y. in comparison to the other available wr's......you have to ask yourself what you need and if T.Y. (God Bless Him) doesn't fit that need moving forward, then move on.

Besides, some team will look at those last 5 games and buy that for more than Ballard will likely want to pay. 

As Ballard already stated, the market will determine his worth.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he meant Hopkins haha . I almost called this out earlier :thmup:

If he meant Hopkins then he didn’t get the first OR last name right. haha

But I think it’s more likely he meant Desean Jackson. Hopkins could not be described as ‘just a speed WR whereas Jackson probably could. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

If he meant Hopkins then he didn’t get the first OR last name right. haha

But I think it’s more likely he meant Desean Jackson. Hopkins could not be described as ‘just a speed WR whereas Jackson probably could. 

My bad.. I did mean Jackson. I always thought TY was a more complete receiver than Jackson, although Jackson was a better deep threat. But now that they are a little older, TY can a still get open with his route running. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Golliday is injury prone as well....

Yeah, to dismiss Campbell based on injury history but be high on Golladay who has had injuries in 3 of his 4 years in the league is a bit silly.  

• Thanks 1