Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Singleback vs Shotgun formation


Recommended Posts

Will Reich use more of a singleback formation play-style(west coast) to help Jonathan Taylor light up defenses? Taylor, IMO, is a lot better when he is not used in the shotgun. 
 

This may help Wentz too, as they will have to respect the run more. Plus, this allows us to use a lot more PA and take deep shots.
 

If anybody has the statistics on what formations Reich prefers(pre-Rivers... we all know he has to use shotgun essentially), that would be appreciated!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Will Reich use more of a singleback formation play-style(west coast) to help Jonathan Taylor light up defenses? Taylor, IMO, is a lot better when he is not used in the shotgun. 
 

This may help Wentz too, as they will have to respect the run more. Plus, this allows us to use a lot more PA and take deep shots.
 

If anybody has the statistics on what formations Reich prefers(pre-Rivers... we all know he has to use shotgun essentially), that would be appreciated!

With luck, and even JB, I remember more TE sets and single backs than shotgun. But I think Frank will mix it up

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

This absolutely. RPO especially. I expect a big year for Pitt and hopefully campbell can stay on the field

Me too, I am really excited to see our offense this coming year. I expect it to be more dynamic and I'm thinking Campbell could be huge, if he can stay healthy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Me too, I am really excited to see our offense this coming year. I expect it to be more dynamic and I'm thinking Campbell could be huge, if he can stay healthy.

If Campbell can stay healthy he will bring some heat . 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Me too, I am really excited to see our offense this coming year. I expect it to be more dynamic and I'm thinking Campbell could be huge, if he can stay healthy.

Yes, Campbell out of the slot will be the difference maker this year. He is our poor man's version of Tyreek Hill. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think shotgun was better for Rivers and those rickety knees.

I bet when he walks, his knees sound like old aluminum chairs being folded and unfolded.

I will miss his fire tho.  I think we would have seen even more if the stands were full this year.  Too bad we only got one year with him, he played better than i expected in many ways.  It as a good chance by Ballard and Reich, but we just needed a lil more and i think we saw the best of Rivers at this age.

  Wentz opens up more playbook i think, including more under center.

  Reich should start Wentz back at scratch... fundamentals.  Build him back up to where we hope he can get.  Thru the injuries and pressure from a bad OL, i think he has developed bad habits. 
Some of us remember how pressure ruined Jeff George (imo).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes, Campbell out of the slot will be the difference maker this year. He is our poor man's version of Tyreek Hill. 

 

I wouldn't count on it. We have no reason to believe that Campbell will make any significant contribution to winning football whatsoever next season, let alone be a difference maker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

 

I wouldn't count on it. We have no reason to believe that Campbell will make any significant contribution to winning football whatsoever next season, let alone be a difference maker. 

If he stays healthy he is obviously a weapon

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

 

1. That's a very big if.

 

2. Based on what?

 

It doesn't seem obvious to me at all that he will be a contributor.

I guess you've never watched him play

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I guess you've never watched him play

 

Yep, I have. He looks promising.

 

However, you can't say that a player with just 33 career targets coming off 2 consecutive season ending injuries is going to be a difference maker or is 'obviously a weapon'. 

 

I'd love it if Campbell broke out this year, but to consider that a probable, or even a reasonable, outcome would be foolish at this point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

 

Yep, I have. He looks promising.

 

However, you can't say that a player with just 33 career targets coming off 2 consecutive season ending injuries is going to be a difference maker or is 'obviously a weapon'. 

 

I'd love it if Campbell broke out this year, but to consider that a probable, or even a reasonable, outcome would be foolish at this point.

Based of the stats & games played, yes, you are right. I think we are just using the eye test. He's obviously explosive, and he will be the gadget player we need. 

 

The reserve we ran with him was beautiful (until it wasn't), and he looked great Week 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Once Taylor learned how to run out of the shotgun he ran just fine. 

 

Yes, but I think most would agree he is an even better runner with a QB under center. And, our OLINE arguably performs better out of the single back too

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes, but I think most would agree he is an even better runner with a QB under center. And, our OLINE arguably performs better out of the single back too

So are you suggesting we do away with running out of the shotgun formation? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So are you suggesting we do away with running out of the shotgun formation? 

 

Not completely by any means. He is obviously still a top RB out of the shotgun formation, as shown last year.

 

However, his acceleration and cutback ability is what makes him such a threat. He is able to get a "head start" out of the single back, IFORM, etc vs the shotgun. If Wentz is just as capable, our offense becomes so much more dynamic as they will likely stack the box.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say blocking scheme has more influence on the run game success than formation. Shotgun allows the QB a better read on the defense. It also puts the defense in pass first mentality which can take defenders out of run stopping responsibilities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Not completely by any means. He is obviously still a top RB out of the shotgun formation, as shown last year.

 

However, his acceleration and cutback ability is what makes him such a threat. He is able to get a "head start" out of the single back, IFORM, etc vs the shotgun. If Wentz is just as capable, our offense becomes so much more dynamic as they will likely stack the box.

 

53 minutes ago, Behle said:

I would say blocking scheme has more influence on the run game success than formation. Shotgun allows the QB a better read on the defense. It also puts the defense in pass first mentality which can take defenders out of run stopping responsibilities. 

The thing about the shotgun formation is Taylor has more options. He can run, he can block or he can catch a pass. 

He can make a catch out of the backfield or after making a block. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like under center better tbh , we and running team we need to compliment that . I don’t want frank to get pass happy cause he got . He need to protect wentz from him self and I want to see us run a game plan similar to Tennessee pound the ball and take our shots but have the ability to pass when teams stack the box. Wentz is not maholmes or Rodgers I don’t want him throwing the ball 40+ times a game 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 8:47 AM, Mackrel829 said:

 

Yep, I have. He looks promising.

 

However, you can't say that a player with just 33 career targets coming off 2 consecutive season ending injuries is going to be a difference maker or is 'obviously a weapon'. 

 

I'd love it if Campbell broke out this year, but to consider that a probable, or even a reasonable, outcome would be foolish at this point.

 

It's absolutely reasonable to expect talented players to show their talent on the field. It's more unreasonable to write them off after a couple of injuries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, groundnpound said:

 

It's absolutely reasonable to expect talented players to show their talent on the field. It's more unreasonable to write them off after a couple of injuries.

 

They can't show off their talent if they're not on the field. Why would you assume a player will be good after two consecutive seasons of not being good?

 

It's like looking at someome Bobby Okereke and saying that he's not going to be good next season. We've seen two years worth of improvement and contribution from him. Why would we assume he will suddenly go the opposite direction?

 

I'm not saying it's impossible for Campbell to contribute next year, but to expect it is silly. Even if he stays healthy, injuries take a toll on the body, and he hasn't played football consistently since he was drafted. 

 

Significant injuries + two years off = difference maker? That makes no sense at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

 

They can't show off their talent if they're not on the field. Why would you assume a player will be good after two consecutive seasons of not being good?

 

It's like looking at someome Bobby Okereke and saying that he's not going to be good next season. We've seen two years worth of improvement and contribution from him. Why would we assume he will suddenly go the opposite direction?

 

I'm not saying it's impossible for Campbell to contribute next year, but to expect it is silly. Even if he stays healthy, injuries take a toll on the body, and he hasn't played football consistently since he was drafted. 

 

Significant injuries + two years off = difference maker? That makes no sense at all.

 

I feel it's easier to overcome a couple of freak injuries, than it is to overcome a lack of talent. Lack of talent isn't what's holding Campbell back. I've seen flashes from him, those flashes tell me he's got the skills to succeed in the NFL if his body cooperates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, groundnpound said:

 

I feel it's easier to overcome a couple of freak injuries, than it is to overcome a lack of talent. Lack of talent isn't what's holding Campbell back. I've seen flashes from him, those flashes tell me he's got the skills to succeed in the NFL if his body cooperates.

 

Oh for sure. He's really flashed when he's been on the field. That's why it's not impossible for him to contribute, and why there's a chance he could be a difference maker. My only point is to expect that would be foolish. Plan as if he'll do nothing. Then, if he does play 16 games (or close to it), it's found money!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a good chance my memory is serving me incorrectly, but I could've sworn that he started turning it ON when he started running out of the gun more. I thought that was when he stopped getting to the line and stopping/hesitating, seemed like he was taking the ball and GOING.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching his highlights at work to "refresh my memory", and a lot of the long ones are coming out of gun. Of course, highlights could be misleading. Either way happy he turned out to be the stud we expected... his early season form was horrible lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t care what formation we run.  I would like to see the Carson Wentz that comes to the line and audibles plays left and right to confuse the defense.  I’m not sure if he changed plays at all during that MVP run year he had with Philly but that’s what I want to see!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I voted Braden Smith, as whenever anyone mentioned our line previously, it was always Castonzo, Nelson and Kelly that were mentioned specifically by name, hardly ever was Braden thrown in there too. He has been stalwart at RT and definitely deserves far more credit.    However, after I pressed Braden and voted i had a thought.... and funnily enough I think the answer is TY Hilton atm.   Pretty much ever since he was drafted the Colts offence just hasn’t been the same when he isn’t on the field. That holds true still... even when he isn’t posting big numbers himself, the entire offence runs better when he is there. People are so down on TY that they were willing to let him walk, but it would’ve been a massive mistake. So glad he stayed.    
    • In the wake of the draft, I've naturally seen and heard a number of people discuss the outlook for the Colts defensive line. Paye and Dayo are spoken about as high upside prospects, Buckner is seen as a perennial All-Pro, and Grover Stewart is... never mentioned. Stewart has come on leaps and bounds since he was drafted, and has been as consistent and reliable as anyone on the D-Line the last two seasons. I don't feel like he's currently getting the recognition that he deserves, and would argue that he's the most underrated player on the Colts right now.   If you disagree, who would be your choice?   I have a couple of other contenders but feel free to add your own in the comments:   Rock Ya-Sin - Very solid when playing zone but gets burned or penalised once a game and that's all people remember.   Braden Smith - Being the third best lineman on the team means being top 5 at his position often goes unnoticed.   Nyheim Hines - Recognised for his ability to make plays out of the backfield but has also begun to show improvement running between the tackles.   Jack Doyle - Mr. Reliable. He'd still be top of my target list in a 4th and 5 situation. Never makes the highlight reel but is one of the most fundamentally sound football players on the team.
  • Members

    • DoubleE Colt

      DoubleE Colt 66

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • C0LT5

      C0LT5 68

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ScotColt

      ScotColt 188

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Rolltide_gocolts

      Rolltide_gocolts 68

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chucklez

      Chucklez 319

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheUnshuffler

      TheUnshuffler 29

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 9,741

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JediXMan

      JediXMan 629

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...