Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Singleback vs Shotgun formation

Colts1324

Will Reich use more of a singleback formation play-style(west coast) to help Jonathan Taylor light up defenses? Taylor, IMO, is a lot better when he is not used in the shotgun. 

This may help Wentz too, as they will have to respect the run more. Plus, this allows us to use a lot more PA and take deep shots.

If anybody has the statistics on what formations Reich prefers(pre-Rivers... we all know he has to use shotgun essentially), that would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Will Reich use more of a singleback formation play-style(west coast) to help Jonathan Taylor light up defenses? Taylor, IMO, is a lot better when he is not used in the shotgun. 

This may help Wentz too, as they will have to respect the run more. Plus, this allows us to use a lot more PA and take deep shots.

If anybody has the statistics on what formations Reich prefers(pre-Rivers... we all know he has to use shotgun essentially), that would be appreciated!

With luck, and even JB, I remember more TE sets and single backs than shotgun. But I think Frank will mix it up

21 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

This absolutely. RPO especially. I expect a big year for Pitt and hopefully campbell can stay on the field

Me too, I am really excited to see our offense this coming year. I expect it to be more dynamic and I'm thinking Campbell could be huge, if he can stay healthy.

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Me too, I am really excited to see our offense this coming year. I expect it to be more dynamic and I'm thinking Campbell could be huge, if he can stay healthy.

Yes, Campbell out of the slot will be the difference maker this year. He is our poor man's version of Tyreek Hill. 

I think shotgun was better for Rivers and those rickety knees.

I bet when he walks, his knees sound like old aluminum chairs being folded and unfolded.

I will miss his fire tho.  I think we would have seen even more if the stands were full this year.  Too bad we only got one year with him, he played better than i expected in many ways.  It as a good chance by Ballard and Reich, but we just needed a lil more and i think we saw the best of Rivers at this age.

Wentz opens up more playbook i think, including more under center.

Reich should start Wentz back at scratch... fundamentals.  Build him back up to where we hope he can get.  Thru the injuries and pressure from a bad OL, i think he has developed bad habits. 
Some of us remember how pressure ruined Jeff George (imo).

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes, Campbell out of the slot will be the difference maker this year. He is our poor man's version of Tyreek Hill. 

I wouldn't count on it. We have no reason to believe that Campbell will make any significant contribution to winning football whatsoever next season, let alone be a difference maker. 

2 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I wouldn't count on it. We have no reason to believe that Campbell will make any significant contribution to winning football whatsoever next season, let alone be a difference maker. 

If he stays healthy he is obviously a weapon

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I guess you've never watched him play

Yep, I have. He looks promising.

However, you can't say that a player with just 33 career targets coming off 2 consecutive season ending injuries is going to be a difference maker or is 'obviously a weapon'. 

I'd love it if Campbell broke out this year, but to consider that a probable, or even a reasonable, outcome would be foolish at this point.

3 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

However, you can't say that a player with just 33 career targets coming off 2 consecutive season ending injuries is going to be a difference maker or is 'obviously a weapon'. 

I'd love it if Campbell broke out this year, but to consider that a probable, or even a reasonable, outcome would be foolish at this point.

Based of the stats & games played, yes, you are right. I think we are just using the eye test. He's obviously explosive, and he will be the gadget player we need. 

The reserve we ran with him was beautiful (until it wasn't), and he looked great Week 1

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So are you suggesting we do away with running out of the shotgun formation? 

Not completely by any means. He is obviously still a top RB out of the shotgun formation, as shown last year.

However, his acceleration and cutback ability is what makes him such a threat. He is able to get a "head start" out of the single back, IFORM, etc vs the shotgun. If Wentz is just as capable, our offense becomes so much more dynamic as they will likely stack the box.

I would say blocking scheme has more influence on the run game success than formation. Shotgun allows the QB a better read on the defense. It also puts the defense in pass first mentality which can take defenders out of run stopping responsibilities. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Not completely by any means. He is obviously still a top RB out of the shotgun formation, as shown last year.

However, his acceleration and cutback ability is what makes him such a threat. He is able to get a "head start" out of the single back, IFORM, etc vs the shotgun. If Wentz is just as capable, our offense becomes so much more dynamic as they will likely stack the box.

53 minutes ago, Behle said:

I would say blocking scheme has more influence on the run game success than formation. Shotgun allows the QB a better read on the defense. It also puts the defense in pass first mentality which can take defenders out of run stopping responsibilities. 

The thing about the shotgun formation is Taylor has more options. He can run, he can block or he can catch a pass. 

He can make a catch out of the backfield or after making a block. 

I like under center better tbh , we and running team we need to compliment that . I don’t want frank to get pass happy cause he got . He need to protect wentz from him self and I want to see us run a game plan similar to Tennessee pound the ball and take our shots but have the ability to pass when teams stack the box. Wentz is not maholmes or Rodgers I don’t want him throwing the ball 40+ times a game 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:47 AM, Mackrel829 said:

It's absolutely reasonable to expect talented players to show their talent on the field. It's more unreasonable to write them off after a couple of injuries.

8 minutes ago, groundnpound said:

It's absolutely reasonable to expect talented players to show their talent on the field. It's more unreasonable to write them off after a couple of injuries.

They can't show off their talent if they're not on the field. Why would you assume a player will be good after two consecutive seasons of not being good?

It's like looking at someome Bobby Okereke and saying that he's not going to be good next season. We've seen two years worth of improvement and contribution from him. Why would we assume he will suddenly go the opposite direction?

I'm not saying it's impossible for Campbell to contribute next year, but to expect it is silly. Even if he stays healthy, injuries take a toll on the body, and he hasn't played football consistently since he was drafted. 

Significant injuries + two years off = difference maker? That makes no sense at all.

5 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

They can't show off their talent if they're not on the field. Why would you assume a player will be good after two consecutive seasons of not being good?

It's like looking at someome Bobby Okereke and saying that he's not going to be good next season. We've seen two years worth of improvement and contribution from him. Why would we assume he will suddenly go the opposite direction?

I'm not saying it's impossible for Campbell to contribute next year, but to expect it is silly. Even if he stays healthy, injuries take a toll on the body, and he hasn't played football consistently since he was drafted. 

Significant injuries + two years off = difference maker? That makes no sense at all.

I feel it's easier to overcome a couple of freak injuries, than it is to overcome a lack of talent. Lack of talent isn't what's holding Campbell back. I've seen flashes from him, those flashes tell me he's got the skills to succeed in the NFL if his body cooperates.

1 hour ago, groundnpound said:

I feel it's easier to overcome a couple of freak injuries, than it is to overcome a lack of talent. Lack of talent isn't what's holding Campbell back. I've seen flashes from him, those flashes tell me he's got the skills to succeed in the NFL if his body cooperates.

Oh for sure. He's really flashed when he's been on the field. That's why it's not impossible for him to contribute, and why there's a chance he could be a difference maker. My only point is to expect that would be foolish. Plan as if he'll do nothing. Then, if he does play 16 games (or close to it), it's found money!

There's a good chance my memory is serving me incorrectly, but I could've sworn that he started turning it ON when he started running out of the gun more. I thought that was when he stopped getting to the line and stopping/hesitating, seemed like he was taking the ball and GOING.

I don’t care what formation we run.  I would like to see the Carson Wentz that comes to the line and audibles plays left and right to confuse the defense.  I’m not sure if he changed plays at all during that MVP run year he had with Philly but that’s what I want to see!

Archived