Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Make four moves to improve the roster

Superman

Sign Golladay                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Sign Clowney and bring back Autry                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Sign Reiff and draft a tackle if trade for McGlinchey doesn't materialize

Resign Rhodes 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Superman said:

Let me flip this on you. Could this team afford to rely on Odell Beckham, just from an injury/production standpoint?

Good point bc hes only played a full 16 twice in his career. I like him as a talent, not sure about him in the locker room. If we did anything would have to start out short term.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Good point bc hes only played a full 16 twice in his career. I like him as a talent, not sure about him in the locker room. If we did anything would have to start out short term.

I think he's a bad fit in the locker room. Drama is just common to some people, and he seems to be that kind of person. I'm not calling him a bad person, or a bad teammate, and he's certainly not a bad player, but you can almost count on something Odell-centric happening on whatever team he plays for. 

Add to that his inconsistent availability, and the fact that he hasn't had really good production in four seasons, and I don't see a reason to consider giving up major assets and money to try to acquire him. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Why would Trent Williams sign here or anywhere for one year?

Most seem to think he’s going to a sign a deal for 4-years and a big payload!  

Good question, bare in mind we are playing in fantasy land here. Peace out :)

20 hours ago, onebad150 said:

#1. OK first move I would do is trade back and acquire another 2nd, get our 3rd back  and maybe a 3rd day pick 

#2. sign Jonnu Smith

#3. sign Bud Dupree to a 2yr prove it deal

#4  trade for either LT Orlando Brown or The LT from San Francisco that played LT beside Nelson  at Notre Dame

I hope we retain several of our own free agents, but I trust in Ballard and his crew to do the right thing.

Just a few quiet moves that would enhance what we have and continuing to build through the Draft. It will be interesting to see how this all falls together

The 49er LT that I was referring to McGlinchey, would long term solution to LT

Improve the pass rush

Upgrade secondary play 

Solidify the Oline and improve depth 

Find a receiving TE that is a mismatch 

Upgrade receiving corps

Improve coaching 

Obviously, how they go about accomplishing these goals (with the exception of Improve coaching) could be a combination of draft, free agency, trade and/or signing their own.
 There really are a lot of things we aren’t privy to and some people forget they’ve got some pretty solid players they have to sign.
  The coaching staff has changed as well and that may hurt or help us, we’ll see.

I feel confident Reich will look at his coaching mistakes and Ballard’s group will make some good decisions.

Sorry for the long post. I know you were only looking for 4 specific moves but there’s a lot of things they have to consider that will determine what the best course of action is.  

• 5 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 3:21 AM, rayski said:

People overestimate how much cap we have. We have some but we need to resign Nelson and Leonard, both will probably highest paid at their position, Braden Smith also will be highly coveted. We gotta be careful how we throw around cash. 

This was an astute post. 

47 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

This was an astute post. 

Only 6.3M in space right now. That can get eaten up quickly if we extend Nelson. We are in decent shape for 2022, but have a ton of FAs to sign. 7 starters, and a bunch of 2 deep guys. Gonna be interesting.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Only 6.3M in space right now. That can get eaten up quickly if we extend Nelson. We are in decent shape for 2022, but have a ton of FAs to sign. 7 starters, and a bunch of 2 deep guys. Gonna be interesting.

It sure is going to be interesting.  I would expect this is the last year for TY and Doyle.  Probably Rhodes and Glow as well.  We will lose some players for sure.  Hopefully Ballard can keep the good young players coming.

Just now, richard pallo said:

It sure is going to be interesting.  I would expect this is the last year for TY and Doyle.  Probably Rhodes and Glow as well.  We will lose some players for sure.  Hopefully Ballard can keep the good young players coming.

I could see TY and Doyle being done, although Doyle is still under contract. As long as Rhodes plays well this year, I think he'll be back on another short term contract. He's really done well in our heavy zone scheme. I don't see any reason to get rid of Glow right now. He graded well last year, and shouldn't be expensive to keep. Unless he takes a step back, I think he'll return. IMO, he's one of the best weak links in the NFL. Not sure we have anyone on the roster that's better than him, or will be better next season.

HInes is a guy I'm not sure will be back. I could see us moving off Pascal too if Strachan and Campbell work out. Hope both are back though. Lewis will be interesting too. If he balls out this year replacing Autry, could be a tough decision. Hoping Dayo turns out to be the real deal, just not sure we'll see much from him this year.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I could see TY and Doyle being done, although Doyle is still under contract. As long as Rhodes plays well this year, I think he'll be back on another short term contract. He's really done well in our heavy zone scheme. I don't see any reason to get rid of Glow right now. He graded well last year, and shouldn't be expensive to keep. Unless he takes a step back, I think he'll return. IMO, he's one of the best weak links in the NFL. Not sure we have anyone on the roster that's better than him, or will be better next season.

HInes is a guy I'm not sure will be back. I could see us moving off Pascal too if Strachan and Campbell work out. Hope both are back though. Lewis will be interesting too. If he balls out this year replacing Autry, could be a tough decision. Hoping Dayo turns out to be the real deal, just not sure we'll see much from him this year.

Doyle is an interesting decision.  BR did an article today on one player each team should cut now.  For the Colts they chose Doyle and he would save $4.2M against the cap.  Seems like a year early for me.  But I guess anything is possible.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Doyle is an interesting decision.  BR did an article today on one player each team should cut now.  For the Colts they chose Doyle and he would save $4.2M against the cap.  Seems like a year early for me.  But I guess anything is possible.

We need Doyle right now. He's definitely a top 2 TE currently on our roster at this point in time. 

Verdict is still out on Granson, and not high on any of the others either. I had hopes for Vollert, but he's not done a lot.

Don't see us taking a TE early next year in the draft, especially if we don't have a 1st.

On Granson... I had flashbacks last week of how Reich forced a lot of early read targets to Burton last year. I think Granson was like 2 of 5 with a clear drop. Interested to see if he does better this week. 

Archived