Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Make four moves to improve the roster

18 minutes ago, Hoose said:

1. Move Q to left tackle, and sign him to an extension. Save huge $ by not having to sign a LT in free agency. Spend the money elsewhere. 

2. Move Pinter to LG.

3. Re-sign Rhodes. 3 years, $27 million. $ 18 m guaranteed.

4. Sign Allen Robinson to a 4 year, $60 m. deal. $35m guaranteed. Let TY walk. Robinson is his replacement and the young 'uns will have to be developed. 

5. Re-sign Autry at 2 years, $8m. Let Houston walk. 

6. Sign Carl Lawson. 3 years, $39 m. $26 m. guaranteed. 

7. Draft as follows: 

a. Your first two picks are going to be a top CB and a top TE. 

b. Ballard will probably make a trade to pick up an extra Day 2 pick and will nab another OT for development. 

c. The rest will work itself out, with S, WR, DE, and LB being selected in Day 3. 

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Just messing with you. I posted more than 4 across my 2 posts as well.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me, these positions have to be addressed: Edge, LT, CB, TE. In that order.   I'm going TE instead of WR, because I'm going to be hopeful that our young horses at WR will get better. Even

Sign either Allen Robinson, David Moore, or Kenny Golladay   Sign Romeo Okwara   Draft Samuel Cosmi at 21    Draft Greg Newsome II in the second round 

Not at all, I think it would be a big mistake.

1) Draft Darisaw in round 1. 2) Patrick Jones in round 2. 3) bring in a reliable wr such as Agular or Robinson and hope they don't get hurt. 4) sign another o-lineman we need more depth. And on a side note, I don't understand all the gushing about juju the people in Pittsburgh can't get him out of town fast enough.

1. Draft LT in 1st round. No need to spend big money on FA LT when it’s a good draft for LT.

2. Sign either, Watt, Von Miller, Bud Dupree, or Lawson. 

3. Sign Hunter Henry. If he wants too much then go Everett.
4. This one was tough. Since it’s only 4 moves we can do. I want to go FA WR, or sign TY to help out again. But I think we have to resign Rhodes. Can’t let him walk honestly. If we don’t resign him I’d go after Lattimore from the saints then and try to send a 2nd maybe and sign him up for a contract. 

I just don't get the support for signing Rhodes to a multi-year contract. He's a cornerback who had a bounce-back year, but does anyone really think he's going to be good for another three years. I'd use that money for a younger player like Lattimore.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I just don't get the support for signing Rhodes to a multi-year contract. He's a cornerback who had a bounce-back year, but does anyone really think he's going to be good for another three years. I'd use that money for a younger player like Lattimore.

Is Lattimore going to come cheap?

This guy lists Preston Smith as a strong candidate for release. Not sure it will happen but i always thought he was better suited for the 1 gap tampa 2 DE.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfc-cut-candidates-viable-releases-and-potential-surprises

I remember Ballard tried to scoop him. I think his regression last year was scheme related. Could be another good find at less the price previously.

57 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Lattimore is not a free agent.   So with him it’s not just about money.   We’d have to trade for him and I think it would start with a first and go up from there.   If I’m wrong, then it would be a two plus additional picks.   It would not be cheap. 

And then we’d have to sign him to a big contract extension.  That would likely be at least 4/50, and likely higher. 

That said....   I don’t expect Lattimore to be available.    At all. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

One thing that isn't mentioned regarding our receivers is that under contract we don't have what I consider to be a legit deep threat. The deep ball is a Wentz strength. Let's allow him to take advantage of it by getting that type WR in the draft or in FA.

Hopefully Parris can stay healthy the whole year

11 hours ago, Superman said:

We have a QB, and about $49m in expected cap space. What other moves would you make as GM to hopefully make the Colts a legit title contender in 2021?

Try to be realistic, don't trade Ben Banogu for Aaron Donald or anything dumb like that. In fact, trades are probably unrealistic, unless it's a guy we know is on the market. But account for the cost of the player.

So what would you do? What do we need? Can we get there in four moves?

I'd focus on re-signing as many of our guys as possible with priorities and solid short term deals for Rhodes, Houston and Autry.  Then I would draft a LT.  It's important we make good on taking care of our own guys, Ballard preaches it and it's part of our current culture.  So, that means he has a long list of guys he has to try and make good and show a commitment to the locker room culture that has been built. I'd prioritize maintaining the culture over any one free agent at the moment (except maybe Watt which would be amazing but likely impossible).

Restructure a few contract's roster bonus to gain more cap space:

Ryan Kelly

Grover Stewart

Jack Doyle

Kenny Moore II

FA Signings:

FS Marcus Williams- don't get me wrong Blackmon played well but since Williams entered the league he has ranked near the top in every category for safeties.  Williams has a coverage grade that ranks in the 90th percentile to go with the highest rate of forced incompletions.  Williams can fit any scheme and is also a solid run defender.

RB Jamaal Williams - Williams rarely fumbles and has low mileage but has produced well.  The Colts will need a solid true RB to complement Taylor in case he goes down long-term.  If Mack didn't have his latest injury I think the Colts would been set at RB but feel Mack is done and the Colts will need to address the needs of another complementary RB.  Chris Carson would be another player of interest but perhaps we find a late round runner in the draft.  With the OL the Colts have could see us become a double headed monster ground game attack similar to the old Panthers of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart.

LDE Derek Barnett -  Expect to be a cap causality of the Eagles.  I think Barnett would also be an easy target to convenience to join since we just agreed with Wentz.  Expect both Houston and Autry to not be resigned due to cap space issues and ages.  Also unsure what to expect from Banogu especially given the injury history of Barnett.  Muhammad I think earned a chance to start at RDE but expect the Colts to add another starter early in the draft in either Round 1 or 2.

LT Roderick Johnson - Impressed with limited play for the Texans last season with only 3 penalties and one sack allowed in 245 offensive snaps played.  Don't know if this will solve our LT problem and can see the Colts draft a LT in Round 1 or 2.

Since we no longer have a Round 3 pick this year due to the Wentz trade can see the Colts focus on LT and Edge players early in the draft.  Wentz likes his TEs and kind of see us keeping our trio together for another year (Doyle, Burton, Mo Alie-Cox).  Hilton proved to have enough left to play another year or two and with a deep WR class the Colts can find a viable WR later in the draft.  Another potential FA WR target is Kendrick Bourne (49ers).  Bourne is very good at underneath and running after the catch.  Kendrick has flashed some real ability and his PFF grade has improved each season.

The biggest question to me left unanswered will be our LBs MIKE and SAM positions.  Under the impression Walker is gone and Okereke may slide over to MIKE.  Staying true to Colts form expect the Colts to pick a LB in Rounds 4-5 range with someone like SAM Charles Snowden (Virginia).  I know you wanted only 4 moves but another low cost MLB to add veteran presence would be Mychal Kendricks.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Lattimore is not a free agent.   So with him it’s not just about money.   We’d have to trade for him and I think it would start with a first and go up from there.   If I’m wrong, then it would be a two plus additional picks.   It would not be cheap. 

And then we’d have to sign him to a big contract extension.  That would likely be at least 4/50, and likely higher. 

That said....   I don’t expect Lattimore to be available.    At all. 

The Saints have major cap issues so he could be available.  If not so be it.  But if he was a similar trade like the one for Buckner would work.  Of course you need to extend him.  That's a given.  But he's definitely worth it.  Another sure thing vs. a gamble with a draft choice. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, stitches said:

I just started thinking about this and my initial lean is to go all offense. Not because I don't think the defense needs work... but because I think we need to give Wentz every chance to succeed and we need him to have no excuse for failing. By the end of the season (and preferably by week 11) we need to know where we stand with Wentz. Give him protection, give him weapons! Give him everything he needs to succeed. 

This is an interesting approach. It's basically how the Chiefs got to the SB this year. And yeah, their secondary and pass rush let them down in the SB, but the reason they couldn't compete is that the offense couldn't score, due to multiple factors. We probably have an easier path to a top 5-ish offense than to being a really dominant defense.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is an interesting approach. It's basically how the Chiefs got to the SB this year. And yeah, their secondary and pass rush let them down in the SB, but the reason they couldn't compete is that the offense couldn't score, due to multiple factors. We probably have an easier path to a top 5-ish offense than to being a really dominant defense.

Yep, if Wentz clicks we can have a dominant offense and we don't need like... half the offensive roster to be fixed - QB is good to go, most of the OL is good to go, all RBs are good to go, WR needs one premier addition and it's good to go, TE needs one dynamic addition and it's good to go. In general - we need just 2 or 3 players on offense to give Wentz a pretty complete offensive roster. I don't think this is the case with the D. I think the D needs more work and I'm willing to sacrifice it for this year(because we cannot fix everything in one off-season with that many premier positions needing work) - get some bridge option, some bargain bin signings to fill out the defensive roster... supplement with the draft and lets see what happens. 

You know what I've been thinking the last couple of days... yes, we might be losing both our starting DEs and starting CBs... but... it's not like we had an amazing pass-defense and pass-rush with them. So if we lose them... how much exactly are we losing that's irreplaceable through the bargain bin of Ballard signings - he always seems to have some cheap'ish under the radar guys that he gets and they perform reasonably well for the price? Sure, we can always drop from below average to straight up horrible bottom of the league, but that's why this system is setup to help the CBs and not require premier talent there in order to get reasonable play. We won't be amazing defensively, but I also don't expect us to be striaght up horrific. 

So yeah... to me until we have our long-term QB under contract, we need to do everything possible to find him. In our situation... we have a QB who might be the long-term option. Now it's Ballard and Reich's job to find out if he indeed is the guy! So do everything possible to learn whether he is the guy or not. I don't want 'experts' and pundits to come out of the woodwork in December questioning whether Wentz had enough weapons or was he doomed to fail with this incomplete offense. NO. Give him everything he needs and let him succeed or fail based on his own play. Either way we need to know and we need to know relatively quick. The defense can wait a year. 

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Will Golliday be unlikely?

I think they are likely to franchise tag him, but I'm not certain... 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep, if Wentz clicks we can have a dominant offense and we don't need like... half the offensive roster to be fixed - QB is good to go, most of the OL is good to go, all RBs are good to go, WR needs one premier addition and it's good to go, TE needs one dynamic addition and it's good to go. In general - we need just 2 or 3 players on offense to give Wentz a pretty complete offensive roster. I don't think this is the case with the D. I think the D needs more work and I'm willing to sacrifice it for this year(because we cannot fix everything in one off-season with that many premier positions needing work) - get some bridge option, some bargain bin signings to fill out the defensive roster... supplement with the draft and lets see what happens. 

You know what I've been thinking the last couple of days... yes, we might be losing both our starting DEs and starting CBs... but... it's not like we had an amazing pass-defense and pass-rush with them. So if we lose them... how much exactly are we losing that's irreplaceable through the bargain bin of Ballard signings - he always seems to have some cheap'ish under the radar guys that he gets and they perform reasonably well for the price? Sure, we can always drop from below average to straight up horrible bottom of the league, but that's why this system is setup to help the CBs and not require premier talent there in order to get reasonable play. We won't be amazing defensively, but I also don't expect us to be striaght up horrific. 

So yeah... to me until we have our long-term QB under contract, we need to do everything possible to find him. In our situation... we have a QB who might be the long-term option. Now it's Ballard and Reich's job to find out if he indeed is the guy! So do everything possible to learn whether he is the guy or not. I don't want 'experts' and pundits to come out of the woodwork in December questioning whether Wentz had enough weapons or was he doomed to fail with this incomplete offense. NO. Give him everything he needs and let him succeed or fail based on his own play. Either way we need to know and we need to know relatively quick. The defense can wait a year. 

I think they are likely to franchise tag him, but I'm not certain... 

I always knew he was good but never really sat down to break down his game.  Now that im looking he reminds me of Pittman. Im starting to think adding him probably wouldnt be what we needed although hes good. Seems like it would be redundant. Just thinking out loud. I think we need a speed guy. Like an upgraded version of Marcus Johnson or something.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I always knew he was good but never really sat down to break down his game.  Now that im looking he reminds me of Pittman. Im starting to think adding him probably wouldnt be what we needed although hes good. Seems like it would be redundant. Just thinking out loud.

I will lie if I said I watched tons of Lions games but... doesn't he play primarily as an X? Pittman was pretty uninspiring on the outside this year. He did a ton of his damage on crossing routes from the slot. I would swear I thought Golladay was more of a one-on-one win on the outside guy... and with plenty of catches downfield. 

I mean Pittman was supposed to be like that but he never really showed much of that skillset with the Colts. I don't know. What are you seeing with Golladay? 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The Saints have major cap issues so he could be available.  If not so be it.  But if he was a similar trade like the one for Buckner would work.  Of course you need to extend him.  That's a given.  But he's definitely worth it.  Another sure thing vs. a gamble with a draft choice. 

I understand.   He could be available.  But even if he is, we’d still have to trade for him.  We can’t just sign him.  The Saints are not just releasing him or some of their other top players.  

21 hours ago, Superman said:

We have a QB, and about $49m in expected cap space. What other moves would you make as GM to hopefully make the Colts a legit title contender in 2021?

Try to be realistic, don't trade Ben Banogu for Aaron Donald or anything dumb like that. In fact, trades are probably unrealistic, unless it's a guy we know is on the market. But account for the cost of the player.

My pre draft wishes are some free agent moves. (Move 1 and 2) would strongly consider resigning Rhodes and hopefully another veteran CB. (Move 3) I would grab a veteran Oline man that is versatile at G or T for depth. (Move 4) Frank and Wentz were at there best with multiple TEs. We should get a quality TE to help have multiple set capabilities, to give Wentz familiar comfort. We need him to get his swagger back and become a quality leader.

Please forgive me if my cap goes overboard, I’m not good with finances

1. Draft LT first round

2. Draft CB second round

3. Sign JJ Watt

4. Resign TY, TJ Carrie, and if there’s a decent price, Rhodes

If I could do more, I’d also draft WR, another CB, and OL depth in the later rounds

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

(Move 1 and 2) would strongly consider resigning Rhodes and hopefully another veteran CB. (Move 3) I would grab a veteran Oline man that is versatile at G or T for depth. (Move 4) Frank and Wentz were at there best with multiple TEs. We should get a quality TE to help have multiple set capabilities, to give Wentz familiar comfort. We need him to get his swagger back and become a quality leader.

I would like to either resign Burton or grab Ertz from the Eagles. Both would be familiar targets for Wentz, and I think either paired with Jack and MAC could be really good 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

I would like to either resign Burton or grab Ertz from the Eagles. Both would be familiar targets for Wentz, and I think either paired with Jack and MAC could be really good 

I like Henry too, but he could be pricey. I'm not big on Burton. I'm sure there are plenty of decent TEs out there that are solid bang for your buck.

5 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

My pre draft wishes are some free agent moves. (Move 1 and 2) would strongly consider resigning Rhodes and hopefully another veteran CB. (Move 3) I would grab a veteran Oline man that is versatile at G or T for depth. (Move 4) Frank and Wentz were at there best with multiple TEs. We should get a quality TE to help have multiple set capabilities, to give Wentz familiar comfort. We need him to get his swagger back and become a quality leader.

My draft dream is Rousseau or Phillip's from Miami fall to us at 21. Then I would grab a tackle in the 2nd. If we dont get a TE in free agency we should draft one.

6 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Realistically speaking, they probably keep Burton. He has history with Wentz, Reich and Taylor, he knows the offense, and when he's healthy he's reasonably good, including being a versatile weapon in the red zone.

It's going to annoy me when it happens, but they're going to run Philly Special at some point in 2021, and it's probably not gonna work. Even if it does work, to quote Oceans 13, "you don't run the same gag twice, you do the next gag."

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Realistically speaking, they probably keep Burton. He has history with Wentz, Reich and Taylor, he knows the offense, and when he's healthy he's reasonably good, including being a versatile weapon in the red zone.

It's going to annoy me when it happens, but they're going to run Philly Special at some point in 2021, and it's probably not gonna work. Even if it does work, to quote Oceans 13, "you don't run the same gag twice, you do the next gag."

I agree if Frank's tries to run the 2017 offense, it will work at first but the league will catch on to it quick. I hope we can develope a two TE formation that we can ran and pass from with good disguise. I remember when Doyle use to play FB and we would run and pass from that formation. I love the possibilities of our run game know we could can go under center. Taylor loves to run that way, he did adapt to shotgun the second half of the season. I feel like if protect Wentz and run well we can develope into a dynamic offense.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand.   He could be available.  But even if he is, we’d still have to trade for him.  We can’t just sign him.  The Saints are not just releasing him or some of their other top players.  

I acknowledged that we would have to trade for him.  I would do that.  Another poster suggested trading a 2nd.  That would be great and a steal IMO.  I would offer our 1st if necessary no more.  Acquire him, extend him and feel great at CB for quite a few years. 

37 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would resign Burton and forget about Ertz.  He's already has been with us for a year and knows the system.  Ertz would probably cost more and not offer that much of an upgrade IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree if Frank's tries to run the 2017 offense, it will work at first but the league will catch on to it quick. I hope we can develope a two TE formation that we can ran and pass from with good disguise. I remember when Doyle use to play FB and we would run and pass from that formation. I love the possibilities of our run game know we could can go under center. Taylor loves to run that way, he did adapt to shotgun the second half of the season. I feel like if protect Wentz and run well we can develope into a dynamic offense.

As the season went on, they probably shelved 50% of the playbook to accommodate Rivers. I complained about lack of play action, but Rivers wasn't good with play action. And like you said, under center runs + play action, not to mention the additional pressure that a mobile QB puts on the defense.

I think we'll actually see Reich's full offense this year.

• Like 1

Ballard needs to use FA for DE and CB. He has trouble in the draft with these two positions. 

This is what I would do in FA

Sign a DE in FA.

Try and bring Rhodes back

Sign TY or another FA WR

Bring Autry back. Maybe AQM too depending on FA. 

Bring Burton back or go get another TE

12 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Yeah he is at the age where corner backs tend to fall off fast.  He does seem like the type that could move to safety, but I have not heard any mention of that

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I acknowledged that we would have to trade for him.  I would do that.  Another poster suggested trading a 2nd.  That would be great and a steal IMO.  I would offer our 1st if necessary no more.  Acquire him, extend him and feel great at CB for quite a few years. 

I don’t think Lattimore goes anywhere for just a Two.   Even if no team offered a first (and I think a team would)  teams would offer a two and then other picks.   I don’t see a two getting it done. 

I think this is the wrong year to be spending a premium pick(s) when we still have LT and DE and other positions to fill.   JMO. 

22 hours ago, Superman said:

1) I would sign Marlon Mack to a 1 yr first thing, to give us dangerous dynamic offense that’s difficult  to plan against

2) minus Pinter I would completely redo our oline depth through FA and 4th-7th rd of the draft

3) Draft a LT in the 1st to obtain the 5th option

4) Sign Yannick Ngakoue

Draft Bonus) build receiving and secondary core through draft

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Lattimore goes anywhere for just a Two.   Even if no team offered a first (and I think a team would)  teams would offer a two and then other picks.   I don’t see a two getting it done. 

I think this is the wrong year to be spending a premium pick(s) when we still have LT and DE and other positions to fill.   JMO. 

I think, if he signed an extension, we'd cover that position for four-five years with a player in his prime. I think we still draft a tackle and sign a defensive end. I don't see Ballard spending that much on a player as old as Rhodes or Houston. I think we get younger at both spots.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think it would be wrong to spend a premium pick this year.  No different than last year when we traded 13.  This year it's 21.  You get an immediate young starter at a PON.  We should have no problem filling DE in FA this year.  Prior years that was harder. This year many will be available.  We could draft a LT with our 2nd. pick if need be.  Everyone says the class is deep.  Or you sign a veteran.  They don't have to be an all pro.  Anyone we sign should be better than Clark.  JMO.

• Confused 1

Sign Allen Robinson for 16M APY

Draft Alex Leatherwood OT - Alambama in the 1st round

Draft Tyson Campbell CB - Georgia in the 2nd round

Sign Trey Hendrickson - Edge for 8M APY

28 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

1) I would sign Marlon Mack to a 1 yr first thing, to give us dangerous dynamic offense that’s difficult  to plan against

I have no issue with keeping Mack, one year, $4m. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Sign Trey Hendrickson - Edge for 8M APY

Two things on him. First, I don't think he's a great pass rusher, I think he's a complementary guy who can get him when he has other good linemen around him. Second, he had 13.5 sacks last season and I think that's enough for him to get $15m/year on a multi year deal. At least, in a normal year. We'll see how this offseason plays out, but $8m/year doesn't seem realistic for a 26 year old edge.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Two things on him. First, I don't think he's a great pass rusher, I think he's a complementary guy who can get him when he has other good linemen around him. Second, he had 13.5 sacks last season and I think that's enough for him to get $15m/year on a multi year deal. At least, in a normal year. We'll see how this offseason plays out, but $8m/year doesn't seem realistic for a 26 year old edge.

Based on what I'm reading he was not an every down player and Over the cap's valuation on him is 8.8M.  

I don't know anything other than that.  I just sort of scanned through FA's that I felt could help on the DL.