Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Make four moves to improve the roster

Superman

15 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Sign Leonard Williams, DE,  2 yr, $30 million.

Sign JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, 2 yr, $2 million.

Draft Christian Darrisaw, LT, round 1.

Draft Aaron Robinson, CB, round 2.

This buys us one more year at DE and WR development, fills our need at LT, helps fill a possible hole at CB should Rhodes go somewhere else.

Even Ballard can't pull that off

Williams is projected at 4 yr 80 million

JuJu is projected at 5 yr 80 million

Those are spotrac projections.  Could they be wrong?   Sure.  but I doubt there are that far off

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Those are spotrac projections.  Could they be wrong?   Sure.  but I doubt there are that far off

Yeah, I was just going off of https://www.spotrac.com/ averages from 2020.  I could be totally off base.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...   

Wiiliams and Schuster are both going to come close to breaking the bank.

Unless Schuster gets tagged, both are looking at 4-5 years and roughly $12-15 million per year.   

Ok, thanks for the info.  I was just looking at https://www.spotrac.com/ 2020 average.  I don't even know who Williams is..lol.

7 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Ok, thanks for the info.  I was just looking at https://www.spotrac.com/ 2020 average.  I don't even know who Williams is..lol.

Thanks for the link.   I had just read it the other day. 

The link projects Williams at 4/80!   An astounding $20 mill a year.  Now, I don’t think he gets that, not in a Covid year.  And he’s only had one good year.   That’s why I think it’ll be a little less, but I’ve been shocked by FA signings before,  

The link also projects JJS at 5/80!   I think he doesn’t quite get that, but maybe close?  

FA is filled with insane contracts.   That’s why Ballard mostly sits out and shops in the discount isle.  He shops for bargains. 

40 minutes ago, w87r said:

2. Offer 2nd round pick to Saints for Marcus Lattimore($10m) 

I would love this 

With the Saints in cap hell, and Lattimore going to be paid (Next year) .... They may go for this, but the 2nd is for a one year rental

Thats a BUNCH to give up for a one year player

Lattimore is significantly better than Rhodes, and is someone who could take this defense up a couple of notches as well as add some flexibility

I would want to sign him to an extension as part of this trade 

My gut says that Ballard wont pay the going rate for top shut down CB (Lattimore)

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the link.   I had just read it the other day. 

The link projects Williams at 4/80!   An astounding $20 mill a year.  Now, I don’t think he gets that, not in a Covid year.  And he’s only had one good year.   That’s why I think it’ll be a little less, but I’ve been shocked by FA signings before,  

The link also projects JJS at 5/80!   I think he doesn’t quite get that, but maybe close?  

FA is filled with insane contracts.   That’s why Ballard mostly sits out and shops in the discount isle.  He shops for bargains. 

I see 2 years $40 mil. from Ballard for Trent Williams, but not more than that, like you said. The chance to be on a good team with a good OL unit will be enticing enough, IMO.

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would love this 

With the Saints in cap hell, and Lattimore going to be paid (Next year) .... They may go for this, but the 2nd is for a one year rental

Lattimore is significantly better than Rhodes, and is someone who could take this defense up a couple of notches as well as add some flexibility

My gut says that Ballard wont pay the going rate for top shut down CB (Lattimore)

Lattimore for a 2nd only makes sense if he agrees to something like 3 years $45 mil. deal or something like that before the trade. Otherwise, Ballard will not pony up that 2nd rounder. If I am spending that much money, I'd rather give Rhodes 2 years $20-24 mil. and see if he takes it.

Just now, chad72 said:

I see 2 years $40 mil. from Ballard for Trent Williams, but not more than that, like you said. The chance to be on a good team with a good OL unit will be enticing enough, IMO.

Yeah...  I saw that one, but I personally don’t see it.    I think we’re more likely to try to sign someone like Villanueva. 

Im also curious about a good article I saw nearly a week ago on Stampedeblue.   They have a good list of lesser OT who might get a surprise offer.  Most of us, me included, haven’t heard of these guys.   I know Ballard likes bargains, but I’m not sure he wants a bargain at LT.   But I encourage people to check it out. 

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would love this 

Yeah extension would have to go along with the trade.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Lattimore for a 2nd only makes sense if he agrees to something like 3 years $45 mil. deal or something like that before the trade. Otherwise, Ballard will not pony up that 2nd rounder. If I am spending that much money, I'd rather give Rhodes 2 years $20-24 mil. and see if he takes it.

You may be right.

and Lattimore will probably want 15M per year

It SEEMS that Ballard may not want to have that much cap money tied up in CB

Rhodes was a good pickup.  If we could increase the pass rush even a little bit all of the DBs would look better

Trade a 3rd and Rock to Saints for Lattimore.    extend  his contract  maybe at 4/68. 

Resign Autry Houston and Rhodes and TY

Thats 5 if I had to go to 4 I'd let Houston or Rhodes walk and address those positions in the draft if possible 

Draft BPA in the draft  Hoping it is DE  OT CB  TE or WR in that order for me

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah...  I saw that one, but I personally don’t see it.    I think we’re more likely to try to sign someone like Villanueva. 

Im also curious about a good article I saw nearly a week ago on Stampedeblue.   They have a good list of lesser OT who might get a surprise offer.  Most of us, me included, haven’t heard of these guys.   I know Ballard likes bargains, but I’m not sure he wants a bargain at LT.   But I encourage people to check it out. 

If he paid Castanzo 2 yrs. $33 mil., he understands the value of a veteran LT, IMO.

12 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

1. JJ.Watt

2. Von.Miller

3.Ty. Hilton

4. Bring Rhodes back

I dont know of the money is there, but that would be as close to elite as you could get.

oooh I completely forgot about Von Miller.   I'd still try to get Lattimore somehow and then I think we have a pretty good D.  I'm not sure what I think about Watt.    

1 hour ago, BluesGirl said:

This is true but they’ve had those projections dating back to the fall. I really think with over half the league in salary cap tightness or hell, you’re not gonna see the mega contracts that we’ve been seeing. Take out half the teams bidding and with 7-8 teams drastically over the cap where their only option is to cut players, the market just isn’t gonna be there

51 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

oooh I completely forgot about Von Miller.   I'd still try to get Lattimore somehow and then I think we have a pretty good D.  I'm not sure what I think about Watt.    

True but with that front you could have a mediocre secondary.

Sign a mid level Edge in FA.  (More production than Houston, but not a bank breaker)

Sign the Jackson kid from Cincy at CB. 

Draft your starting LT.  Either at pick 21 with Darrisaw, or trading down a few spots to get the next best available...maybe Eichenberg.

Sign Hunter Henry at TE.  Would rather improve the vertical TE position rather than use capital for another WR.

And these four allow me to make my 5th move, drafting CB Greg Newsome II, Northwestern, in the 2nd or 3rd. (have to study this more to see his proper value).

Oops, I guess we lost our 3rd.  Okay, trade 4 and 5 to get the third back.

1. Trade 2021 round one pick to the Panthers for Taylor Moton and lock him up.  I don't like the tackles I'm seeing on most boards at 23.  The Colts are a targeted spot to jump to because everyone knows they need a LT.  Moton has been a RT but he's rock solid in pass pro and he's only 26.  They need a guy they can trust now not a rook who will likely need time.  They could also target Williams and the 9ers but Moton is a young player with a lot of good football ahead and I think he could lock that blindside down.

2. Sign ILB Lavonte David.  Colts defense could use an upgrade off ball.  He would add a great deal to this defense and is a lot cheaper than going OT or Edge in FA.

3. Draft Edge round 2.  Edge is loaded in round 2.  In fact the group at 55 has real nice size for strong side as well which is what I'd be looking for.  It's also good into round 3 but I wouldn't mess around with edge they get snapped up fast.

4. Draft CB round 4.  This is much harder to predict of course but I like the options in this range at corner based on the mix of what you get from different draft sites and big boards.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sign a mid level Edge in FA.  (More production than Houston, but not a bank breaker)

Sign the Jackson kid from Cincy at CB. 

Draft your starting LT.  Either at pick 21 with Darrisaw, or trading down a few spots to get the next best available...maybe Eichenberg.

Sign Hunter Henry at TE.  Would rather improve the vertical TE position rather than use capital for another WR.

And these four allow me to make my 5th move, drafting CB Greg Newsome II, Northwestern, in the 2nd or 3rd. (have to study this more to see his proper value).

Can Darrisaw fall that far?    

1. Sign Trent Williams-LT for  2 / 28 (We can draft a LT next yr. I just think we need a proven LT considering Wentz injury history)

2. Re-Sign TY if the price tag is cheap. I personally think TY and Wentz can be a  good QB-WR duo.

3. Re-Sign Autry or Houston for cheap

4. Draft shutdown CB with 1st rd pick and draft a pass rusher with 2nd rd.

1. Move Q to left tackle, and sign him to an extension. Save huge $ by not having to sign a LT in free agency. Spend the money elsewhere. 

2. Move Pinter to LG.

3. Re-sign Rhodes. 3 years, $27 million. $ 18 m guaranteed.

4. Sign Allen Robinson to a 4 year, $60 m. deal. $35m guaranteed. Let TY walk. Robinson is his replacement and the young 'uns will have to be developed. 

5. Re-sign Autry at 2 years, $8m. Let Houston walk. 

6. Sign Carl Lawson. 3 years, $39 m. $26 m. guaranteed. 

7. Draft as follows: 

a. Your first two picks are going to be a top CB and a top TE. 

b. Ballard will probably make a trade to pick up an extra Day 2 pick and will nab another OT for development. 

c. The rest will work itself out, with S, WR, DE, and LB being selected in Day 3. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Trade 1st pick for CB Lattimore and get another impact starter.  In FA sign ER and WR. There will be many good ones available this year at those positions.   With 2nd rd pick draft a LT. 

You should let this idea go.

The Colts will have to pay Nelson, Smith, & Leonard soon.  Same with Hines in all likelihood.  They just took on a healthy contract in Wentz as well.  The Colts are not going to give up draft collateral and a cheap contract for a player who will soon be commanding top dollar.  

Archived