Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Make four moves to improve the roster

Superman

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, krunk said:

I personally am not surprised. Could be Irsay/Ballard/Reich just being supportive guys. 

I also wouldn't mind him coming back on a one year prove it deal if he's healed up proper. 

He's not going to get a big deal from another team after that injury. One year of productive stats could raise his value a lot. 

On 2/22/2021 at 3:21 AM, rayski said:

People overestimate how much cap we have. We have some but we need to resign Nelson and Leonard, both will probably highest paid at their position, Braden Smith also will be highly coveted. We gotta be careful how we throw around cash. 

The cap also goes up $40m next year. If Wentz works out, that's four years at a very reasonable salary. There's plenty of money. 

23 minutes ago, wig said:

The cap also goes up $40m next year. If Wentz works out, that's four years at a very reasonable salary. There's plenty of money. 

You may be right, but I’m not sure that’s official.   I think at this point that is more  hope than reality.    I wouldn’t bank on  the cap going up $40 mill just yet.    I think we’re a long way from that.   That’s my understanding at least. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right, but I’m not sure that’s official.   I think at this point that us more  hope than reality.    I wouldn’t bank in the cap going up $40 mill just yet.    I think we’re a long way from that.   That’s my understanding at least. 

Brings up an interesting question: is the salary cap like gas prices where it’s based on the future? Or is it reactionary based off of the previous season? Hmm...

24 minutes ago, wig said:

I've been thinking... maybe now is the time to strike big and get multiple high level talents in a depressed market where very few teams can actually afford to give out big contracts... Give them big contracts for this market, but would be very reasonable in the future few years...

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right, but I’m not sure that’s official.   I think at this point that us more  hope than reality.    I wouldn’t bank in the cap going up $40 mill just yet.    I think we’re a long way from that.   That’s my understanding at least. 

To add, the 2021 cap isn't even set yet lol. Probably won't be until mid March. We just know it won't go below 175M. I've seen different projections and theories on this year's, and next year's. Some say this year will likely be 180-190. Some are saying the NFL and NFLPA will borrow against future years so that they have a bit more space this year. That would actually keep future caps down if they borrow. Then there's the whole expanded revenue narrative (reg season to go from 16 to 17), so TV revenue at minimum will increase. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've been thinking... maybe now is the time to strike big and get multiple high level talents in a depressed market where very few teams can actually afford to give out big contracts... Give them big contracts for this market, but would be very reasonable in the future few years...

Some agents are refusing to negotiate until the 2021 cap is set. Several agents have said they we're going to see superstar contracts, and rook contracts.... and the middle guys are all going to suffer.

But I do agree with your sentiment. I wouldn't say "big" for this market though. I'd shop for some guys that are just below elite level, and try to lock them up on long term deals. Perhaps some guys that suffered due to the talent around them, but could be elite here. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Some agents are refusing to negotiate until the 2021 cap is set. Several agents have said they we're going to see superstar contracts, and rook contracts.... and the middle guys are all going to suffer.

But I do agree with your sentiment. I wouldn't say "big" for this market though. I'd shop for some guys that are just below elite level, and try to lock them up on long term deals. Perhaps some guys that suffered due to the talent around them, but could be elite here. 

Yeah, doesn't need to be elite... just... contracts that you think would be great value in the following years once the cap jumps again. We can actually afford it now and very likely won't be able to afford it for much longer. 

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

100% same page. Really curious how FA works out this year. There will be much less competition. Does that mean smaller contracts?  Shorter contracts?  Status quo?  I've seen people saying the top end won't change but the mid level guys will get hurt. Makes sense but we'll see. I know having money is more advantageous than ever. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

His choices cant be many with him being unsigned. 

His choice could be, 24 hour fitness, or the Colts facility which is probably state of the art.

He also would get to work out with his "bro's"

I wonder exactly how much Mack will be worth in the open market.  The days of enormous RB contracts seem to be in the rearview mirror. He may get a 5-7 M per year deal at best.

There seems to be a significant more interest in keeping TY then Mack.

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

His choice could be, 24 hour fitness, or the Colts facility which is probably state of the art.

I wonder exactly how much Mack will be worth in the open market.  The days of enormous RB contracts seem to be in the rearview mirror. He may get a 5-7 M per year deal at best.

I really doubt he gets 5M coming off an Achilles injury. 5M is top 15 pay. Peterson, Gore, and Bell all played for around 1M last year. IMO, 2M would be the most he'd get for the year. Maybe 3M if the Colts thought he was 100% and wanted to be nice.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right, but I’m not sure that’s official.   I think at this point that is more  hope than reality.    I wouldn’t bank on  the cap going up $40 mill just yet.    I think we’re a long way from that.   That’s my understanding at least. 

The cap going up is not more hope than reality. It will go up, just a question of how much. I'm fairly confident it will be enough to cover our top contracts. 

2 minutes ago, wig said:

The cap going up is not more hope than reality. It will go up, just a question of how much. I'm fairly confident it will be enough to cover our top contracts. 

The hope vs. reality thing was about the cap going up $40 mill.    I know it’s going up.   But going up $5-10 mill is different than going up $40m.    Those are two different financial worlds. 

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

Good point, but at the same time agents aren't going to want big time talent signing long term deals unless they are back-loaded due to the lowered cap this year. I would not be surprised to see a lot of one year rentals league wide in 2021.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The hope vs. reality thing was about the cap going up $40 mill.    I know it’s going up.   But going up $5-10 mill is different than going up $40m.    Those are two different financial worlds. 

And it will be a lot closer to 40 than 5 or 10. I'm using numbers people who get paid to follow this are projecting. You're just making stuff up unless you have a source that's talking about 5-10? 

1 hour ago, wig said:

And it will be a lot closer to 40 than 5 or 10. I'm using numbers people who get paid to follow this are projecting. You're just making stuff up unless you have a source that's talking about 5-10? 

I don’t have a specific number.  But I’m doing some basic math.   

Enough money was lost this year that the salary cap number could’ve been much lower.  But it would’ve blown things up for all 32 teams, so it was agreed that the absolute floor would be $175m.   A few revenue streams came in a little better than expected so the current number is $180.5.   It may go up another 1-2 mill, but that’s reportedly it. 

The agreement between management and players called for a gradual increase as things returned to normal.  Neither side wanted a sharp increase like — you know — $40m in one year.   Makes things too volatile for everyone.  The goal was to return things to normal in 3-4 years depending on how long the Covid issue remains.   That’s what I know. 

Im not saying you’re 100 percent wrong about the figure just yet.   Only that it’s (A) too soon to know, the decision is a ways off.   No one knows if, or how many tickets will be sold for the ‘21 season?   And (B) it’s likely a wrong figure because the talk of gradual and manageable figures to return to normal for the betterment of both sides.

Thats what I remember reading when things got settled last year.   I’m guessing we won’t know for quite some time until revenue figures for ‘21 are better understood. 

36 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

This is interesting.

The thing with this is the best teams don't usually have a lot to spend on free agents.  Its rare for a team as good as the colts to have as much money as they did the last few years.

We also have like one playoff win in 6 years now while having all that free cap space

2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

This is interesting.

Well played. The graphic speaks for itself. I like how this pairs with the discussion about teams chasing unproven talent in the draft, particularly at QB. People talk about reaching, but that's exactly what we have seen in the QB market this last decade and as a Steelers guy, I've been one of the biggest detractors about not overpaying for the position, and I think we are all aware of how bad Pittsburgh is going to be next year. If they prove me wrong, hats off but the light at the end of the tunnel in this case is an inbound freight train. Spread that money around. That's a huge reason why Tom Brady has been so successful in his career, because he's always made good money but never tried to set the market so the team could put 21 other guys on the field. 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

The thing with this is the best teams don't usually have a lot to spend on free agents.  Its rare for a team as good as the colts to have as much money as they did the last few years.

We also have like one playoff win in 6 years now while having all that free cap space

That another reason I think it makes sense for them to resign their LBs and go after one (1) big name in FA. Whether that's DE/LT/CB or WR. I'd prefer to see that money go to a trench position because you can find value there in FA. Although I'm more apt to sign a LT as edge/DE guys tend to taper off after they get the bag, same as running backs. Clowney and Matthews are probably the best examples of this.

People are talking about Rhodes being an outlier at his age. It's true, but look at how easy the front made it for him. After pedestrian '18-'19 campaigns he put up a paltry 52% completion rate in '20. Pittsburgh had the same success in the 2000's (albeit in the 3-4) with a strong front 7, and some rando named Polamalu running wild on the back end. Their corner play was average at best but they could hit and tackle. That's why I am also personally high on Rock Ya-Sin. He's got that edge but needs a little polish. Granted he got benched but he can be fixed if he's utilized properly. He'd be a beast as a press corner, but that doesn't always translate in a zone scheme. I think Sherman could teach the young man a thing or two about how to play that position and yeah he's 33 but he's in the same situation as Rhodes and might not cost as much. It's at least worth testing the waters to see what kind of value you may get from signing him. Although, he hasn't always been the best locker room guy, he's mellowed out a little too.  

Also, if Pittman can clean up his route running a little, which won't be too big of a stretch, you could have your boundary end sitting right in front of you. He can definitely beat guys 1v1 with his range.

@Lawrence Owen also discussed the possibility in his stream this past Tuesday about getting Mack to resign on a prove it deal. That would give the Colts potentially the most lethal backfield in the NFL and make everyone's life on the outside easier, especially if you consider how good Doyle is in the run game. That's another reason why I haven't said much about the TE position because he might not have the same skill set that Clark had back in the day, but his attitude and toughness remind me a lot of him. Then you've also got Pascal running around like the energizer bunny underneath without too much risk, with Hynes on the roster to keep the flat in the back of the opposing defense's collective head.

It's all about putting players in their wheelhouse. I honestly haven't seen a team since the 05-08 Steelers in a better position to raise eyebrows across the league using this same humble approach to the draft and FA. I really hope they get this offseason right because I see a Lombardi or two in the future for this young and very exciting football team.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I think Mack can get good pay but it might come with some stipulations. He might have to play a certain amount of snaps, wr yards, or running yards. 

You put your left foot in, you pull left foot out, 

you put your right foot in and shake it all about...

you do the hokey pokey and turn all about, that's what it's all about.

As good as I can get about predicting the draft.  :coltshelmet:

6 hours ago, JackOLantin said:

Sign Trent Williams, 1year PAY LOAD!

sign Carl Lawson (stud rusher) multi year deal.

bring back Houston -2years

draft Lt to play as back up role/slash watch and learn from the best.

Why would Trent Williams sign here or anywhere for one year?

Most seem to think he’s going to a sign a deal for 4-years and a big payload!  

On 2/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, EastStreet said:

I really doubt he gets 5M coming off an Achilles injury. 5M is top 15 pay. Peterson, Gore, and Bell all played for around 1M last year. IMO, 2M would be the most he'd get for the year. Maybe 3M if the Colts thought he was 100% and wanted to be nice.

Agree, would be solid value for Mack. Is Wilkens tradable? I like him but no way he gets carries over Mack in the rotation. Stash a guy on PS for emergency.

#1. OK first move I would do is trade back and acquire another 2nd, get our 3rd back  and maybe a 3rd day pick 

#2. sign Jonnu Smith

#3. sign Bud Dupree to a 2yr prove it deal

#4  trade for either LT Orlando Brown or The LT from San Francisco that played LT beside Nelson  at Notre Dame

I hope we retain several of our own free agents, but I trust in Ballard and his crew to do the right thing.

Just a few quiet moves that would enhance what we have and continuing to build through the Draft. It will be interesting to see how this all falls together

1. Draft the best left tackle available.

2. resign rhoads. give him his last payday for god's sake.

3. resign TY, this will be his last payday.

4. let the rest walk or sign for incentive laiden 2 year deals. sign your own people and stay away from free agents as much as possible. youth is cheaper but need time to develope. You almost need a roster full of rookie contracts to make it anymore.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Dont slap me but i have to ask. Could this locker room handle Odell Beckham as a replacement for TY ? If so what about financially?

Let me flip this on you. Could this team afford to rely on Odell Beckham, just from an injury/production standpoint?

7 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Agree, would be solid value for Mack. Is Wilkens tradable? I like him but no way he gets carries over Mack in the rotation. Stash a guy on PS for emergency.

I think more than anything, Mack, if healthy, will of course take offers, but would probably love to stay for a year and prove he can be a good RB in a system he's familiar with. One more good year in Indy could translate into a decent contract next year for him with other team. My fear for him, is he's not 100%, takes a cheap contract somewhere else (that isn't patient or know him), and really never gets a chance (and his career is pretty much over). To be honest, I want what's best for him, more than I want him back on a cheap contract.

In reality to improve the roster we have to spend a lot of money. Will Ballard do so? I doubt it. We can still compete and be good if Wentz pans out so the outlook of our team is fine. Having said that:

1. We need a LT that will be at least consistently above average, doesn't even have to be good-great but can't suck.

2. We need another playmaker at WR.

3. We need an Edge Rusher that other teams have to game plan for.

4. We need another CB that can create timely turnovers.

-I have stated 4 obvious things and Ballard could even draft a couple of those players this year, who knows? I would still re-sign Rhodes and Houston, draft a LT at #21, then take it from there.

Archived