Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What position do we address with the First round pick

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will be boring to most but I am drafting LT, it is about trenches baby. Get me a young 21 yr old LT that will be here for 7-10 years. I think take the best LT available and he will be good on our O.Line with Nelson, Kelly, Smith. 

That's definitely what will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ballard is trading back, I'm 76% sure of it.

LT or Edge

This is a great Offensive Tackle class. Teams drafting a QB in the top 15 will push some Blue chip prospects to us at 21.    I actually think Ballard will stay put at 21 and draft an OT. Samuel

54 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I've been wanting a 1st round standard DE for what feels like forever but weirdly on this occasion I think I'd rather go with LT. 

The reasoning is that there's no point throwing all the resources that we have done at the O-line and then leaving it's weakest point at the most crucial spot. If it's going to be our offensive identity and strength then we have to make sure it's solid at that LT spot. If we could fill this gap outside the draft then I'd be delighted and we could move on but I don't see a way to do it.

The hold at DE still remains though and until we fill it we're never going to be in the top echelons of the AFC. Giving these QBs time to throw is suicidal and while I like Buckner he will be easy to defend on his own and won't get enough pressure by himself.  

Yes Buckner needs some dawgs on the line with him. Ballard says it's about the trenches all the time. Houston free agent, Autry free agent, we need Dline help more than Oline in my opinion. Yes we need to add depth on both sides, but I believe we need it more on D. But you have to have BPA approach to play into that. If all the good DEs are gone you get the LT.

22 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

LT or Edge

Have to agree. From what I've seen from the draft prospects it seems like those will be positions with some good players in that range around the 20-25. This looks like a perfect marriage of need with talent of the potentially available players. So yeah... if I had to vote right now, this would be my vote... and if I had to choose a single position I'd probably go OT. 

• Like 2

Trade down. 

My targets at 21 would be EDGE, OT, or WR. The elite edge guys will be gone. The class has tackle value down to 3rd round. The elite wideouts will be gone, and i think the class has positional depth there as well.

I think you have to go LT, CB, or Edge. We need those three badly. With LT or Edge, there are some nice options on the FA market (Trent Williams, JJ Watt), but TJ Carrie and Rhodes could be resigned too since they played well for us. I think the thinnest of the three markets on FA while still getting a reasonable price is probably LT, so I’d draft LT first and CB second. I think we could really snag Watt and let him loose on his former organization

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

I think you have to go LT, CB, or Edge. We need those three badly. With LT or Edge, there are some nice options on the FA market (Trent Williams, JJ Watt), but TJ Carrie and Rhodes could be resigned too since they played well for us. I think the thinnest of the three markets on FA while still getting a reasonable price is probably LT, so I’d draft LT first and CB second. I think we could really snag Watt and let him loose on his former organization

Oooh forgot about CB. My assumption is the top 2 guys are gone (farley and surtain). My understanding is the class after that is filled with guys who're around and about the same level...depending on who you read or listen to. 

If Surtain is there, i think maybe they take him. I've read some great things about Jaycee Horn.

56 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Don't rule out Ballard trading back to acquire that 3rd round pick he lost in the Wentz deal. He's the most creative GM in the NFL. Personally I would go with Edge. The LT class is so deep that Ballard could find one in the 2nd. 

I bet we do trade back. Seems like a Ballard thing to do! :)

• Like 2

LT is like QB.  You don't have one. You still at least hold out some hope for Turay and can sort of mix and match with some of your other D-linemen.  Of course everything depends on what happens in free agency.

Banogu?  Never got it.  I was down on the pick from the second the card was turned in.  Ballard went full blown Grigson on that one, giddy over Banogu's traits.