Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What position do we address with the First round pick

ProblChld32

As we all know we had some glaring needs to address with the retirement of both Rivers and Castanzo. But with the recent trade of Wentz what position do you think the front office will address with the first pick? Will it be Left Tackle? Will it be a Edge Rusher? Will it be a cornerback or will it be a Wide Receiver.  I know we must wait to see how free agency plays out. But I’m curious as to what folks think we will address in the upcoming draft. My guess is it will be Left Tackle. This draft is deep and full of good high quality prospects. There are some line man that are expected to slide  to the latter of the first round potentially being available even in the second round. I think we will grab a LT to sure up that offensive line for years to come.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s LT or DE, and we will likely have a clearer answer by the start of April at the latest.

Because we might elect to sign a FA LT in mid-March...    if we haven’t signed a LT or announced we’re moving Q to LT, then that will point to taking a LT with our first round pick. 

But if we do sign someone, or move Q, then it would point to DE. 

We still have lots of questions...  but the answers are going to start coming much, much faster now.   We are less than a month away from the start of free agency.  Answers coming soon!  

Rookie tackles, I do not see Ballard taking a chance on, I have a feeling we go after Trent Williams or Alejandro Villaneuva for a couple of years. It does not mean he won't draft a tackle with his first pick but if we get our LT in free agency, there is a good chance our first pick is for pass defense, period, regardless of whether we stay put at No.21 or move back.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Rookie tackles, I do not see Ballard taking a chance on, I have a feeling we go after Trent Williams or Alejandro Villaneuva for a couple of years. It does not mean he won't draft a tackle with his first pick but if we get our LT in free agency, there is a good chance our first pick is for pass defense, period, regardless of whether we stay put at No.21 or move back.

I think I agree with this. Ballard is smart. He knows that the teams to beat are KC, Buffalo, CLE, and Baltimore. 

In order to do that, we need an improved pass rush and CB room, as well as offensive playmakers. 

This off-season should be INTERESTING

Just now, DattMavis said:

With the way I believe the draft will fall, I’m expecting LT in round 1 and EDGE in round 2. That’s where I see the most value. Beyond that, I expect us to go CB in round 3, and WR or EDGE again in round 4. The later rounds will see us drafting oline depth.

They no longer have a 3rd

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

They no longer have a 3rd

Ahh, you are correct. My bad. It completely slipped my mind. I could see Ballard trading back into the 2nd to secure a 3rd. The depth for LT in this draft is impressive, and the gap between a late 1st and an early 2nd LT won’t be wide. 

2 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I still wonder if we trade one pick for Lattimore and solve cornerback. If not, we draft a corner and offensive tackle. We need to sign Lawson at defensive end. We don't draft defensive ends well, so we need to sign one.

I would be totally on board with that. There are some good DEs available in free agency this offseason so hopefully that is Ballard's plan. 

1 hour ago, DattMavis said:

Ahh, you are correct. My bad. It completely slipped my mind. I could see Ballard trading back into the 2nd to secure a 3rd. The depth for LT in this draft is impressive, and the gap between a late 1st and an early 2nd LT won’t be wide. 

They won't have to trade into the 2nd just to pick up a 3rd. They could slightly trade down a few spots, and add a 3rd rounder that way. 

This is a great Offensive Tackle class. Teams drafting a QB in the top 15 will push some Blue chip prospects to us at 21. 

I actually think Ballard will stay put at 21 and draft an OT. Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas and Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech are two names that we will hear a lot about near the draft. 

Penei Sewell is regarded as the best OT prospect ever and he’s projected to go 5th because teams will reach for QB’s. An elite prospect should fall to us at 21. 

I can see this years draft strategy being similar to last years.  Same circumstances.  Last year and this year we acquired a QB that we thought we could win a SB with.  Rivers and now Wentz.  The team is still in a win now mode with a very strong roster that just made the playoffs.  After signing Rivers last year what did Ballard do with our 1st pick?  He traded it for Buckner and filled an immediate hole.  Then he used our 2nd rd picks to fill skill position needs in Taylor and Pittman. I think we will follow the same blueprint.  I can see Ballard trading our 1st pick for a CB like Lattimore and solidifying a need.  No need to trade it for an ER or WR because FA will have many good players available there.  So I think he will sign an ER and WR in FA and use our 2nd. rd pick to get a LT or G and move Q to LT if the top LT's are gone.  Regardless I can see us trading our 1st for an impact starter again.  

IMO, we either take a DE or trade back. T is a deep position this year, and I doubt Ballard would use a first on CB unless one of the top/elite guys fail (which they likely won't). 

My guess though is they trade back, because they'll keep Houston and Autry, or one and sign another FA...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts end up with 3x 2R picks, or 2x 2R, and 2x 3Rers. 

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

This is a great Offensive Tackle class. Teams drafting a QB in the top 15 will push some Blue chip prospects to us at 21. 

I actually think Ballard will stay put at 21 and draft an OT. Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas and Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech are two names that we will hear a lot about near the draft. 

Penei Sewell is regarded as the best OT prospect ever and he’s projected to go 5th because teams will reach for QB’s. An elite prospect should fall to us at 21. 

Yes, even if we sign a LT in free agency, I can see Ballard doubling down on a strength for the future. Tomorrow is never assured and we saw what happened when we did not plan for a post-Castanzo plan in the draft, even after he waffled about retirement last off season. However, this draft is deep in tackle that we can drop to the top of the 2nd round to get a good one, IMO.

Gotta go LT 1st round! I dont see them getting a FA WR which most of them may be too expensive, so they need to draft an early WR! Im not sure of the Harris situation(if hes still under contract or not) and I dont see Dulin doing anything other than ST! I am not trusting the Suckeye until he proves he can stay healthy and hopefully Patmon can show something, but after Pittman, Maybe TY, and Pascal, depth kind of falls off at WR! 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Ballard is trading back, I'm 76% sure of it.

That's what I was gonna say, this is a great year for trading back since there won't be a combine and overall less information about players.

Now if we are gonna select someone in the 1st I expect it to be a LT, but I would say I'm 85% sure it will be a trade back.

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

- Darrisaw is my pipedream pick, but I don't see him falling to 21.

- Comsi I don't see being a good fit. He'll most likely need to start at RT and eventually make the move to LT. He needs more development and to get stronger before he can start at LT.

- Eichenberg is one that I like, but I'm not sure if I'd take him at 21 or look to trade back a bit to get him.

- Walker Little is really interesting since he was thought of as a potential top 5 pick before getting injured and missing last season. If he can get back to his prior elite level, he's a steal regardless of which pick we use to get him. A lot will be riding on his medicals and his private workouts.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

What are you basing that on?  Also,  how would that work compensation wise?

Ballard  loves  to trade back so if alot of prospects  he likes are there at 21 he'll  trade out the first or to the back of the first  to get extra picks

Archived