Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

31 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So this comment makes you the authority of what? 

Insulting anyone you can? 

Can you highlight where I said was the authority? Can you? Where is it? Bold it so I don't miss you so very important opinion! You insult yourself every time you post. You really need to at least try to think prior to posting.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, King Colt said:

bench Wentz for the final five games of the season to avoid sending Philadelphia a first-round pick instead of a second-round pick next year. Which means playing time for Smith. As close to a win-win Smith could find if he wants the best of both worlds.

I can see that pending 1st round pick in 2022 will be on some colt fans minds and possibly rooting Wentz to play  less than 75%/(70% if we make playoffs) of snaps. :yuk:

Now, if Benching Wentz for a planned 5 with Alex Smith to still be competitive and make it a 2nd rounder were something I could pull off in Madden just to say that I did it I would. But, this ain’t Madden, and that’s not something that would happen in the real world. And for the better in the long-run. It’s a pretty greasy thing to do, and how many teams just won’t want to do business with us as a result? Or if we’d do that to a trade partner how could we ever offer a player a performance triggered bonus? They’d assumed we’d just do the same to them. 

But I’d for sure do it in Madden. 

36 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Can you highlight where I said was the authority? Can you? Where is it? Bold it so I don't miss you so very important opinion! You insult yourself every time you post. You really need to at least try to think prior to posting.

When you tell us we all have zero knowledge and don't expect a response? 

Pretty lame argument. 

2 hours ago, iuswingman said:

We should be able to find 5 games that we could win with our 2nd string qb lol

We might be able to...   but we won’t.   We won’t even consider it.    Get ready,  the Colts are giving up their 1st round pick in 2022.   It would take an incredible long shot for it not to happen. 

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We might be able to...   but we won’t.   We won’t even consider it.    Get ready,  the Colts are giving up their 1st round pick in 2022.   It would take an incredible long shot for it not to happen. 

I find it hard to believe some say bench Wentz to save a draft pick. If Wentz is the starter for the Colts you don't bench him, period. End of story. 

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Now, if Benching Wentz for a planned 5 with Alex Smith to still be competitive and make it a 2nd rounder were something I could pull off in Madden just to say that I did it I would. But, this ain’t Madden, and that’s not something that would happen in the real world. And for the better in the long-run. It’s a pretty greasy thing to do, and how many teams just won’t want to do business with us as a result? Or if we’d do that to a trade partner how could we ever offer a player a performance triggered bonus? They’d assumed we’d just do the same to them. 

But I’d for sure do it in Madden. 

Agreed, if Wentz plays good enough to trigger the 1st round clause on the conditional pick but we pull shenanigans to only give up a 2nd rounder, Ballard would have a hard time regaining trust with any potential trading partner in the future.

If we really want the Colts to succeed next season & going forward, then a low 1st round pick combined with this year's 3rd is a small price to pay for potential stability at the quarterback position for the next decade or so. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A serious injury would be the exception. That clause is for injury protection, not some moronic plan to bench the starting QB for some period of time. 

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I find it hard to believe some say bench Wentz to save a draft pick. If Wentz is the starter for the Colts you don't bench him, period. End of story. 

Pretty much this. If Wentz plays well then the first round pick was a steal. 

Not to mention do you want a repeat of what happened in Philly? Wentz was very upset by his benching in Philly. Even by sitting him down and telling him the situation does anyone think he will not get upset being benched to save 1 round of a pick? Thats playing with fire right there. Don;t mess with a QBs head. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wentz needs to get his xxx out there.... I'm happy and all that Eason is getting time with those guys, but we need Wentz out there bigly.... 

I'd love for MAC and Harris to join as well.

Is he allowed to be around the team before the 17th?

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm pretty sure players can do whatever they want so long as it's not team organized.

Yep. All they have to say was "it was just for fun." Don't even call it training or practice. But as long as coaches aren't involved the whole dang team of players could technically travel out there and just play some "friendly games". 

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. All they have to say was "it was just for fun." Don't even call it training or practice. But as long as coaches aren't involved the whole dang team of players could technically travel out there and just play some "friendly games". 

I'm sure they can say they are training. A lot of players do it every year. Even Brady did it last year. I remember Manning doing it. Not sure about Luck. As long as the team is not organizing or dictating guys can do whatever they feel like. I hope our DEs are working out with Matthis again. 

A little background. I have coached football for ten years and spend probably 3 hours a day watching film or keeping up with trends.  I have been a Colts fan my entire life. I am also from the midwest and have friends on the NDS coaching staff. I have spent hours everyday watching everything I could on Carson Wentz since the trade was announced.  I cannot tell you how excited I am with him coming to the Colts and how much I expect him to do well.  I am not saying he is Andrew Luck, but he has very similar traits.  It is almost like we got knocked off our schedule when Luck retired and Wentz is going to get us back on it. 

Carson Wentz is as quality of a person as you would want.  He is smart, tough, and as competitive as anyone you will ever meet.  Part of the struggles he has had over the last few years was the Eagles made so many terrible moves that he tried to carry the team.  Think of Luck playing with the guys Grigson brought in.

Carson Wentz can make any throw from any angle you want him to make.  His arm talent is as good as any QB in the NFL.  His ability to read defenses is very good and he can move in the pocket.

So why do I think he will do so well with the Colts?  First of all, the Colts have much, much more talent then the Eagles at this stage.  Secondly, Reich will do the same thing he did with Rivers and tell him not to play hero ball and just do what is needed.  Finally, because of his arm and mobility, it is going to open up the deep passing game which will not only benefit the receivers and especially TY Hilton if he returns, but the running backs like Taylor are going to see far less people in the box.  Rivers did great last year, but defenses more often than not crowded the line knowing he wouldn't go long very often.

Wentz can't do it alone.  I think the Colts obviously need a LT and a dominant pass rusher.  But I think Wentz will end up as a top 8 QB in the NFL this year.  And I expect a long, successful career with the Colts.

So the other question is what happened to him in Philly?  A few things.  Roseman had a terrible drafting record so when the Eagles front loaded to win the Super Bowl and started losing players, they had nobody to replace them with.  Secondly, the Eagles are a poorly run organization.  Peterson's powers were limited, even over his own staff.  He had coaches last year that were hired by Roseman who had a different offensive philosophy than Peterson.  People have speculated that Wentz lost confidence because Hurts was drafted.  From what I have looked into, that is not the case.  It had more to do with Wentz felt the team was putting everything on his back, not giving him anything to work with, and blaming him for any failures.  Hurts drafting really hit him in that they could have added help but instead got a QB.  He saw the writing on the wall with the organization that they were not going to be any better anytime soon and he was getting all the blame, so he wanted out.  The other thing is, he is midwestern guy of faith who likes to hunt and be with family.  he fits in much better with how the Colts organization is run over what the Eagles do.

I think it is perfect fit.  I applaud Ballard for what I think is an absolute steal.  Wentz will be a top guy for the next 8-10 years.  The Eagles will get nowhere.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well....for one thing we really don't  know who are 2nd string QB will be?. If it's Eason, he hasn't played a snap yet in a nfl game, regular or preseason. haha

Before PR retired, I though it was going to be a 50/50 toss up between JB and Eason with PR returning. Now I think it 50% Eason, 25% JB, 25% someone completely different. JB coming back IF he took 2Mish would not surprise me at all. I don't think Ballard is in a position to be so generous this year so I'd be surprised at anything over 2.5 or 3.. If anything, he probably feels JB made plenty the last 2 years, and is guessing like I am that the market for him is going to be pretty small. However it pans out, I'm just hoping Eason has improved enough, and shown enough, that Ballard/Reich are confident in him, and we can utilize the cap in a more needy area.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

And Ballard has plenty of time to prepare for giving up a mid-late 20s first-round pick.  :rock:

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

When I look at the recent contracts of 

Jared Goff

Matt Stafford

Dak Prescott

and compare what the Colts paid for Wentz and consider each players ceiling, I would take the Wentz deal. No question. 

just thinking the same myself.

went to church tonight lit a candle for Carson.

:D

If Wentz can return to the player he was under Reich in Philly this will be a steal and we will be in great shape for at least 3-4 years. His cap hits are pretty reasonable for a quality QB. Just hope that concussion he suffered isn't the cause of some of his issues last year. I'll be very happy to give up that first rounder next year if it's #32 overall. :D

You know, I think people expect too much of Wentz. Like we looked at Luck and went “oh yeah, that guy has what it takes to be that next Manning-like dominant QB” and he did. He could have put up Brady/Manning/Brees numbers or better by the end of his career. 

Because we were blessed with it with a once in a generation guy like Peyton and then dabbled the allure of Luck that immediately followed people are subconsciously looking at Wentz in that role, and it doesn’t really fit. 

But that’s the whole point. We don’t need him to be the next Peyton Manning. And that’s good because he’s not. But all we need him to be is capable of taking the offense down the field and making enough plays to win the game. If he doesn’t break any career or single season records, if he doesn’t win MVP, if he doesn’t even make a pro bowl that’s fine

We just need him to win games. Stay competitive in the playoffs. It’s been designed so that our entire success doesn’t hinge on him the way it did on Manning. We still have a real attractive run game. If you don’t feel positive about this defense right now then you haven’t been a Colts fan real long and it sure shows. 

We just need him to manage the game.  

3 minutes ago, craigerb said:

Not while Wentz is still an Eagle.

The players can work out on their own regardless of what team they play for. The team can't have any contact with Wentz until the trade is official, but players of different teams workout together all the time in the offseason.

I've been a Philadelphia Flyers fan literally my entire life, the Philly media stirs the pot like few can. No doubt they made contributions to the deterioration of that team. That... plus a ton of personality clashes, from the front office down to the coaches and players. The city's sports writers are all about the drama, some are outright gossipbags. I wouldn't absolve Wentz of all blame, but it feels much better to go to work in a stable, comfortable environment with people you trust and share common interests with. Carson does not strike me as any type of deviant, quite the opposite in fact.

Archived