Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade for Wentz (details in first post)

ColtV

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I think we just have to have faith in Reich’s judgment here.

Reich knows Wentz’s strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, capabilities.  I’m sure he’s watched a lot of tape of CW from this past season, with the intent of determining if the player he was a few years ago is still in there somewhere.

But it’s worth pointing out that we apparently made an attempt toward getting Stafford first.  If that’s really true, it says something.

All it said is they went after Stafford first. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

The key is not trust.  The key is good QB play.

If Wentz does not provide good QB play you actually think they will eat a first round pick in order to not rock the boat with a QB who is struggling.  No way.  Again I don't think that's going to happen but to rule it out.  Can't get behind that.

Personally I don't think he would get yanked that quick at all. It would have to be a little more than struggling. 

I don't think Reich or Ballard are as impatient than the fan base is in this forum. 

This is going to be a two year venture. Good or bad. 

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It all depends on how badly he’s struggling?   I’m not trying to be clever.   We will have played 12 games when it’s time to decide.  If we’re 7-5 or 6-6, we will be viewed as a somewhat disappointing team.  Is Wentz to blame?  Are there other factors?

But if we’re 5-7 or 4-8, then that’s another story,

The bottom line is, if we bench Wentz after three months we’ve made 2022 much more difficult.  We will have already benched Wentz, basically publicly accusing him of the reason we’re having a disappointing season, but we’re still on the hook for CW’s 2022 salary.   We’re going to have to turn around and try to build him back up for the following season after we’ve blamed him for ‘21.   We will have made an already hard job that much harder. 

I don’t view this as a 3-month audition.  I view it as a two year project.  I think we’re invested enough to be all in.  

I think if we are 6-6 or obviously better than we will continue to play him. At 6-6 we would still have a shot at the playoffs. 5-7, not sure because at that point the playoffs will be looking dim.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but this is the most reasonable take from an Eagles perspective I came across.

I admit, I wasn’t the biggest fan of trading for Wentz. But it’s really become apparent that the situation in Philly had had completely broken down in terms of trust, relationships and culture. Not to mention lack of talent and injuries around Wentz. No climate for Wentz or any QB to succeed. I think here in Indy, surrounded by good players, good coaches and good staff, most most of all people he can trust, Wentz can succeed. I’m excited for him and the Colts. And the talent he has is unquestionable.

Some of you guys are acting like the entire Eagles organization didnt just have a melt down after winning the SB in 2017 and Wentz just sucked. 

Did you not notice they are now co pletely rebuilding for a reason that doesn't include Wentz? 

Also if you watched Ballards talk with DD he says this team can handle any player who may seem a bit troubled in the locker room, not that Wentz is a problem there. Just rumors at this point. 

If Wentz is a problem hes gone. Theyre not going to show ego after holding out on the eagles demands. That would be uncharacteristic of this teams culture. 

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I was out driving tonight and here is what one of the ESPN radio guys said about how the deal went down.  Take this all with a grain of salt.  

Ballard and the Eagles has been talking daily pretty much since the Stafford deal went down.  Ballard made pretty much this offer then.  The rest of the time was the Eagles trying to bluff Ballard into giving up more.  They think it was the Eagles leaking all the stuff about the Bears and when it became clear Ballard wasn’t bitting on that leaked that a mystery team had become involved.  Still Ballard held his ground and pretty much did the DD interview to send a message to the Eagles he wasn’t budging.  This went on until today when the Eagles were wanting a 50% snap count to trigger the first round pick.  Ballard budged and said 70% if the Colts made the playoffs.  

Like I said a few days ago high stakes poker was being played and we have learned Ballard doesn’t just have a good poker face but knows how to read yours as well.

ballard is a absolute beast , its sad people here think he is overrated .  The man rebuilt the worse and oldest roster in the league to a top 8 defense top 5 offensive line top running game and young wrs .  He is not done and now we will be a super bowl threat watch when he get a elite pass rusher and wr in free agency .

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Given Wentz will likely need a lot of attention from Reich, perhaps Reich gives up play calling since he'll more a less become QB Coach. 

A boy can dream... 

You are going to live the kinds of plays Frank will be able to call with Wentz that he couldn’t call with Rivers.

10 hours ago, Restored said:

This is the annoying part about these online-journo types in today's social media world. They just make up stuff or go "all-in" on certain stories when they have no sources whatsoever. If they are right, people think they are some sort of insider. If they are wrong, they say their "source" was wrong and no one holds them accountable.

Nice work if you can get it.

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I’m kind of on the opposite page now. I’m all for letting Frank call the plays because if it doesn’t work out then there’s no conjecture or posturing about what the problem is. These two guys are supposed to be the equivalent of peanut butter and jelly, so I want to give them the full floor to show us what they can do. If we find out that sandwich isn’t as good as advertised later on then maybe we’ll put a slice of cheese on it and see if that makes it any better. 

What kind of cheese with what kind of jelly?

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Wentz would have to be a complete and total bomb to be benched by Reich.   I don't think being even a bit of a disappointment would get Wentz benched.    He'd have to be a complete disaster.   Because benching would break complete trust that the two have.    If Wentz thought Reich was making him the scapegoat,  and was benched unfairly,  that would be Philly revisited.    

Reich has two full years to get Wentz right.    It's in everyone's interest to make it happen.   So Wentz is going to get a long leash.   Maybe the longest leash.   He'll get the benefit of the doubt.   No tossing under the bus.   Reich can't be seen as a guy looking to protect a possible upgrade to a first round draft pick at the expense of helping his future QB.    The optics would be disastrous.  

We should all hope and expect that the final price of the deal to be a 1 and a 3.   That's what we should all want.  We're all hoping Wentz exceeds the price.    And if he's as good as Reich/Ballard think he can be,  then he'll easily be worth the cost.

It would be foolish not to bench him before the threshold if they are out of contention.

but I’m pretty sure that won’t be a factor

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Not sure if this has been posted already, but this is the most reasonable take from an Eagles perspective I came across.

I admit, I wasn’t the biggest fan of trading for Wentz. But it’s really become apparent that the situation in Philly had had completely broken down in terms of trust, relationships and culture. Not to mention lack of talent and injuries around Wentz. No climate for Wentz or any QB to succeed. I think here in Indy, surrounded by good players, good coaches and good staff, most most of all people he can trust, Wentz can succeed. I’m excited for him and the Colts. And the talent he has is unquestionable.

Worth  the watch. Thanks.  Insightful 

I think the one thing to get you truly excited about this is we can all agree that Ballard is at the least a pretty good evaluator, now couple that with his recent interview in which he said he isn’t going to reach for a qb because when you do that you aren’t gm the next year.  

He is putting his career on the line with this trade.   He has been excellent in trading for players.  Whatever doubts I have about wentz are minimized when I add this to the calculus.  

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Can you offer up the clinical definition of "broken"?

I offered up "broken" in the context of the media and fans saying that Reich can "fix" Wentz. Surely you've seen or read some of this recently.

10 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think the one thing to get you truly excited about this is we can all agree that Ballard is at the least a pretty good evaluator, now couple that with his recent interview in which he said he isn’t going to reach for a qb because when you do that you aren’t gm the next year.  

He is putting his career on the line with this trade.   He has been excellent in trading for players.  Whatever doubts I have about wentz are minimized when I add this to the calculus.  

I agree but he did shell out 28 mill for ONE MORE FRIGGIN YEAR of Jacoby Brisset.

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I have to say if Wentz is reaching out to his WRs already then I highly doubt the locker room rumors. I like this 

He was probably * about the Hurts draft, like Rodgers was with the Love draft, and I don't blame either guy. 

Nuanced person that I am, I don't blame the Eags though because of Wentz' injury history, although I think spending your 1st on a SB contending team is unconscionable in GBs case.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

He was probably * about the Hurts draft, like Rodgers was with the Love draft, and I don't blame either guy. 

Nuanced person that I am, I don't blame the Eags though because of Wentz' injury history, although I think spending your 1st on a SB contending team is unconscionable in GBs case.

maybe.  Something definitely happened with him though, both physically and mentally.  Been watching 2019 vs 2020 game clips of him this morning.  And 2019, his mechanics looked like 2017, but 2020, its like he did a body swap

In a way Wentz has a lot of issues Luck had early and Reich was able to correct. He needs to not take so many hits and get the ball out a little quicker. Reich was able to help Luck improve these issues. I have seen a lot of posts on twitter saying Wentz plays a lot like luck as far as his style.  Reich was also able to get Lucks accuracy up.

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

In a way Wentz has a lot of issues Luck had early and Reich was able to correct. He needs to not take so many hits and get the ball out a little quicker. Reich was able to help Luck improve these issues. I have seen a lot of posts on twitter saying Wentz plays a lot like luck as far as his style.  Reich was also able to get Lucks accuracy up.

Yeah, Wentz is gonna have to rework his throwing motion from the ground up, just like Luck did. Although, I think Wentz’s mechanics are much worse off than Luck’s were.

Archived