Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I remember when Lawrence Owen used to be a forum member. 

He is a very reliable source and I enjoy his podcasts.    Very informative and does a nice job of breaking things down

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m good with rolling with Eason or Trading for Wentz.    Rolling Eason is a win win for the team IMO. You could find your long term answer at the position or end up with a Top 10 pick. I don’t

If this happens at any point today, I'm off his back. I'll delete all my negative posts about him lol.

I am gonna approach this like the Maniac

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/15/darius-leonard-on-colts-qb-trust-the-front-office-let-chips-fall-where-they-fall/

“I watch it, but I don’t get emotionally invested in it because I honestly don’t care who’s the quarterback as long as the quarterback comes in with the right mentality and they’re gonna help us win ball games,” Leonard said. “I don’t care if he’s young. I don’t care if he’s old. I don’t care if he’s well-known or not. If you’re going to come in and put the team first and help us win ball games, come on down to the Indianapolis Colts.”

• Like 3
2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I didn't wanna create another thread about this 

Not QB but Colts related

Would be very disappointing if true.   I guess at this point we have numbers for both years and dollars and the Rhodes camp thinks they can do better.   

13 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

At this point i don't care if its Ryan, Wentz, Darnold or someone else.  I just want to know.  I really hope this thread doesn't go 120 pages before we find out.

I highly doubt Wilson is on the table, even if teams are calling.  He just won WP man of the year.  He's too important to the team and the community to be let go.  Fans would riot. 

It came out today via Josina Anderson he is not available 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Good discussion on Wentz here by FLorio and Peter King.

Yep...King is pretty spot on here. There is no real urgency for PHI right now. That's being manufactured by the media (my words...not his).

But also that Wentz isn't exactly an attractive trade option right at this moment...and that if CHI gives PHI a legit offer...he's not really in position to get in the way and try to force his way to another team.

If I was PHI...my play would be play the waiting game and eat that roster bonus if necessary. Right now...they have two viable starting QBs...where some teams have none (cough cough). And some team/s will be left standing in the QB game of musical chairs...and injuries always seem to happen...especially in-season.

And at that point...the return should be better...which is what matters most.

They save no cap space for this season if they trade him. So it really it just comes down if they are willing to eat $10M more in cap space. And with an asset like a potential franchise QB...I think you can make exceptions. They are in cap trouble regardless whether. When you start making sell low moves for financial reasons...the chances of getting a good return are very low.

And I understand where Roseman is coming from...after seeing that Stafford deal. I like Stafford far more than Wentz...but their respective values aren't as far apart as the reported trade offers suggest. And let's not forget that Roseman once got a team to pay a 1st round pick to rent Sam Bradford for two seasons...and Bradford didn't even have the "once upon a time great season" that Wentz has. Not to mention there weren't nearly as many QB-needy teams at the time.

So essentially, it's just a staring contest of sorts. And I hope Roseman never blinks...because I really dislike this idea.

• Haha 1

Any reasonable person (outside the Vikings organization, apparently) knew that trading a 1st rounder for Sam Bradford was a terrible decision.

Also people keep saying Roseman wants a Stafford type of deal. The problem with that is the Eagles are more like the Rams in that scenario than they are the Lions. So if he's implying that he wants to pay another team a 1st round pick in order to offload a horrible contract, then I'm for it by all means. But any owner should veto an offer for 2 first rounders and probably fire your GM for entertaining such a scenario when there is obviously not a trade market for him anywhere close to that.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yep...King is pretty spot on here. There is no real urgency for PHI right now. That's being manufactured by the media (my words...not his).

But also that Wentz isn't exactly an attractive trade option right at this moment...and that if CHI gives PHI a legit offer...he's not really in position to get in the way and try to force his way to another team.

If I was PHI...my play would be play the waiting game and eat that roster bonus if necessary. Right now...they have two viable starting QBs...where some teams have none (cough cough). And some team/s will be left standing in the QB game of musical chairs...and injuries always seem to happen...especially in-season.

And at that point...the return should be better...which is what matters most.

They save no cap space for this season if they trade him. So it really it just comes down if they are willing to eat $10M more in cap space. And with an asset like a potential franchise QB...I think you can make exceptions. They are in cap trouble regardless whether. When you start making sell low moves for financial reasons...the chances of getting a good return are very low.

And I understand where Roseman is coming from...after seeing that Stafford deal. I like Stafford far more than Wentz...but their respective values aren't as far apart as the reported trade offers suggest. And let's not forget that Roseman once got a team to pay a 1st round pick to rent Sam Bradford for two seasons...and Bradford didn't even have the "once upon a time great season" that Wentz has. Not to mention there weren't nearly as many QB-needy teams at the time.

So essentially, it's just a staring contest of sorts. And I hope Roseman never blinks...because I really dislike this idea.

Both Florio and King think the Eagles should take the two 2's and move on.  I'm sure the majority of the experts would agree.  Rossman is taking a huge gamble waiting.  I can't see Ballard or Chicago just sitting there waiting him out.  They need to pursue other alternatives just in case. And they just might decide to pull the trigger on one of them.  Howie needs to take our offer and run otherwise he runs the chance of looking even more incompetent.  He has probably hurt his future chances of employment in the league after his handling of this fiasco.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Any reasonable person (outside the Vikings organization, apparently) knew that trading a 1st rounder for Sam Bradford was a terrible decision.

Also people keep saying Roseman wants a Stafford type of deal. The problem with that is the Eagles are more like the Rams in that scenario than they are the Lions. So if he's implying that he wants to pay another team a 1st round pick in order to offload a horrible contract, then I'm for it by all means. But any owner should veto an offer for 2 first rounders and probably fire your GM for entertaining such a scenario when there is obviously not a trade market for him anywhere close to that.

Right...it was a stupid deal for MIN. But teams make stupid deals for QBs all the time. So I get why Roseman would hold firm. Especially since Wentz has a better track record than Bradford did...and was younger. 

In that Bradford trade, PHI also ate $11M in salary...which helped increase the trade value. I think doing the same thing with the roster bonus would improve the return here if they can manage it. That way it becomes a positive instead of a negative.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Both Florio and King think the Eagles should take the two 2's and move on.  I'm sure the majority of the experts would agree.  Rossman is taking a huge gamble waiting.  I can't see Ballard or Chicago just sitting there waiting him out.  They need to pursue other alternatives just in case. And they just might decide to pull the trigger on one of them.  Howie needs to take our offer and run otherwise he runs the chance of looking even more incompetent.  He has probably hurt his future chances of employment in the league after his handling of this fiasco.

It's not really a gamble though...not if he doesn't like the current offers. All he is risking is having an offer (he didn't like in the first place) be pulled. 

And it's not like Wentz's value is going to get any lower. Right now, there are several QBs on the market (and even more in the draft). And the further he gets away from the stink of last season...the better. This why the Colts are even on in him...because they think they can get a great value on a QB.

But his value only goes up as options dry up and injuries happen. Not to mention once his roster bonus passes...then he's even cheaper.

All of this leverage and incompetence talk is this media and fan-driven. And while I don't really have an opinion on Roseman one way or the other...he didn't get to that role by caving in to those types of things. Besides, if we are talking about incompetence...he looks far more incompetent if he caves and takes a lesser deal...and then Wentz has a really good season somewhere.

So he can just hold onto him and see what happens with other teams over the next few weeks...or even months if that's what it takes (to get the deal he does like). Things change really fast in the NFL...and just because CHI and IND are the only two teams interested right now...doesn't mean that will always be the case. Nobody even knew about the LAR's interest in Stafford until it happened. We aren't even to FA yet...let alone the draft.

It only takes one team to get desperate or aggressive. And when you have an asset like Wentz...it's best to exercise patience if you don't get a deal you like. 

If the situation were reversed...would we be calling Ballard incompetent for holding onto Wentz to get the best deal he could...or saying that the Colts had no leverage? Of course not.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Pipe dream

I was watching NFL network today and one mock draft had Fields slipping to 15 and being taken by the pats (Zierlien Mock draft )

If that is the case CB must make the move up to 14 from 21.

Whatever it takes 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I was watching NFL network today and one mock draft had Fields slipping to 15 and being taken by the pats (Zierlien Mock draft )

If that is the case CB must make the move up to 14 from 21.

Whatever it takes 

I think him dropping to 15 is very improbable 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I offer this for pure entertainment value.

I laughed so hard at this my eyes watered.

Looks like our favorite insider Vin is conjuring up fake text conversations.

:lol:

How I interpret this: Vin is now actually making fun of himself.  This is now a parody account as far as I'm concerned. 

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

How I interpret this: Vin is now actually making fun of himself.  This is now a parody account as far as I'm concerned. 

Maybe he is playing the eagles on Madden and he has just been reporting on his Madden offseason this entire time haha

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Is this from his other handle

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Is this from his other handle

No.  It's his primary.  The name (e.g., "Vin Fosh NBA") associated with the account can be changed at any point on Twitter.

The actual handle (just below this name) is @vinfosh.  This is something that cannot be changed at will on Twitter.

• Haha 1
Just now, zibby43 said:

No.  It's his primary.  The name (e.g., "Vin Fosh NBA") associated with the account can be changed at any point on Twitter.

The actual handle (just below this name) is @vinfosh.  This is something that cannot be changed at will on Twitter.

Yeah he has changed it multiple times over last few days.

Vin Fosh NFL

Ben albrite fan

Vin Fosh NBA

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I know 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I think him dropping to 15 is very improbable 

I agree, but on a side note on this.  There may be more than on person @danlhart87 

(I love giving you % about this. Hope you have thicker skin and wont let a girl get under it  LOL)that loves Jones more than most people. And take him instead.  More talent? NO. But look at Trubisky being taken over Mahomes.    Jones did very well at shrine bowl or maybe senior bowl I don't remember which.    Jones has talent but a limited ceiling IMO 

I do not see more than 5 total QB's taken in the 1st rd of the draft.  I  am actually leaning closer to 4 but I'm probably wrong on that.

Some may see Fields a the next Mahomes. @Smoke317  ( Hope I got the right Smoke,   man there are a lot of Smoke users LOL).   

I see it as Lawrence then Wilson then Fields   (My choices)     Lantz could go anywhere from top 15 to 3rd round.  Mack could go anywhere from top 10 to 3rd round.   

JMO.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

He is a very reliable source and I enjoy his podcasts.    Very informative and does a nice job of breaking things down

Thanks for sharing. He was a member here for many years. I'm not sure if he still posts comments on here. 

Welcome to the forum. :thmup:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for sharing. He was a member here for many years. I'm not sure if he still posts comments on here. 

Welcome to the forum. :thmup:

Thank you!    I may be young and outnumber gender wise, but come from a long line of football family and friends     I'm still learning, but I have some football knowledge from a lot of really smart football people and being a STH for many many years  in the past.     

• Like 1
  • Shive pinned this topic
  • Shive locked and unpinned this topic