Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFLN's Chad Reuter's 3-Round Mock...

Reuter is viewed as a media guy.   But every year he turns out a series of mock drafts for whatever that's worth.

His first,  this one, is 3-rounds.   The next will be 4 rounds and so on.   So, about every two weeks or so, he'll turn out something new.

It's open, free and non-premium material, so I'm going to tell you his 3 picks for the Colts.

He has us trading down in the 1st from 21 to 26 with Cleveland and receiving a 4 and a 6 in return.   (Sounds Ballard like)

From there, we take Florida WR Kadarius Toney...  a TY Hilton like receiver who has gained a lot of momentum in the last few weeks and months.

In the 2nd, he has us taking Texas LT Samuel Cosmi

And in the 3rd,  he has us taking Tyson Campbell a tall corner from Georgia.

So....  a WR, LT and a CB.

I think most here would be good with that, even if the names are the ones you want.

If you want to read it all....   here's the link:

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-jets-trade-out-of-no-2-overall-pick

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Reuter is viewed as a media guy.   But every year he turns out a series of mock drafts for whatever that's worth.

His first,  this one, is 3-rounds.   The next will be 4 rounds and so on.   So, about every two weeks or so, he'll turn out something new.

It's open, free and non-premium material, so I'm going to tell you his 3 picks for the Colts.

He has us trading down in the 1st from 21 to 26 with Cleveland and receiving a 4 and a 6 in return.   (Sounds Ballard like)

From there, we take Florida WR Kadarius Toney...  a TY Hilton like receiver who has gained a lot of momentum in the last few weeks and months.

I think most here would be good with that, even if the names are the ones you want.

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-jets-trade-out-of-no-2-overall-pick

I would love this draft if it happened. The crazy thing about this year is there are many names that are spanning across a few rounds. Tyson Campbell has been mocked as a late first rounder. So going in the 3rd is different but could happen. Again, this year is going to be crazy. 

now the players themselves all fit us perfectly. I see Toney as a great playmaker in the NFL. He has some good speed and quick feet to throw the DB off balance. Cosmi is a solid bookend type guy to me. Seems like after a year or two in the league he will be able to become more well rounded. Campbell to me is a solid CB. I have already mentioned previously that I would love to draft him in the 2nd or 3rd. 

As long as we have a plan for addressing LT and QB, I don't care too much about what position we do in the first round. Heck my draft crush right now is hoping Zaven Collins falls to us. Him and Leonard could make an insane pairing. 

That said, I haven't grown to like Tony much yet. Not for a first rounder. But things change. He may grow in me.

Its pretty hard to speculate on who we will draft this year until the dust settles on the QB situation and then free agency, but, when the dust does settle we should all know what will be targeted by what team needs are still left uncovered.

For example, what if Ballard signed a (young and coming) LT such as Roderick Johnson, then DE Trey Hendrickson, then WR Curtis Samuel and maybe a TE such as Gerald Everett? Between the trade for a QB and the careful manipulation of the salary cap in regards to these 25-26 year old proven talents......that would drastically change the outlook of the draft in my eyes.

Will he trade back and try to get more picks and possibly recoup future traded picks, absolutely he'll try.  But this is where a shrewd GM uses all three avenues to cover long term needs.

Number 1 Need - QB

Trade for the QB you want - aka Carson Wentz. No longer a priority in the draft even though you gave up capital this year or the next?

Number 2 Need - LT

You sign in FA an instant starter at LT now you can identify a Tackle that could be groomed versus an instant starter like the kid from Cincinnati or the one from East Carolina - aka draft in the 4th or 5th round instead of the 1st or 2nd.

Number 3 Need - CB

Now you can use pick 21 to either draft a Patrick Surtain Jr., J.C. Horn, or an Asante Samuel Jr. or wait to the 2nd Round and get the Ofi kid from Syracuse?

Number 4 Need - DE

Draft a studly defensive end to fight for PT with Turay/Banogu/Lewis - someone with a little size and bend like Jordan Smith from UAB.

Top Four needs have been filled via a trade (QB), a free agent signing (LT), a draft pick (CB) and a free agent signing (DE) coupled with a draft pick (DE) and Ballard likely still has 5 or 6 picks left in his chamber to fill in the blanks.

Needs such as:

FS/SS - I like Jacoby Stevens from LSU for his versatility (FS/SS/LB)

WR - Temorrian "Scary" Terry is my favorite to fit in with our current group as the Z - 6'4 and can take the top off of the defense meshed with Pittman, Patmon, Samuel (my FA hope), Campbell and Pascal et al

TE - I like Tommy Tremble (ND) for our offense - excellent blocking skills but is still an insane athlete & is the perfect move TE

IOL - The Terry kid from Tennessee - he is a hybrid T/G and would be great depth especially with his size

IDL - Daivyon Nixon from Iowa, would provide great depth behind Buckner and could hold up in Nickel against the run as well as rush the passer

LB - Jacoby Stevens - just because of his versatility

Just my $0.02

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see Toney as a comparable WR in any way, aside from maybe the smaller stature. Toney doesn't have the straight line speed that makes TY such a great deep threat. He has elite agility and lateral quickness, but he's not a burner and his game is mostly underneath with screens, slants, etc. Last season, that seemed to be where Pittman shined and the few flashes we saw from Campbell were also in the underneath game as well. If anything we'd be better off with a WR that can be a deep threat like Eskridge, although he's way more than just that.

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see Toney as a comparable WR in any way, aside from maybe the smaller stature. Toney doesn't have the straight line speed that makes TY such a great deep threat. He has elite agility and lateral quickness, but he's not a burner and his game is mostly underneath with screens, slants, etc. Last season, that seemed to be where Pittman shined and the few flashes we saw from Campbell were also in the underneath game as well. If anything we'd be better off with a WR that can be a deep threat like Eskridge, although he's way more than just that.

I confess I want a Day 2 wide out in this class.

But if we project that Pittman is one and Campbell is the other, what TYPE of receiver do we want as our third?  (Assumes Pascal as a 4th).   

Do we want another big bodied guy like Pittman?   Or are we happy with Pascal and Patmon as his backups?

Or do we want more speed?   Another Campbell type of player, or Hilton type of  player?

Inquiring minds are asking....

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But if we project that Pittman is one and Campbell is the other, what TYPE of receiver do we want as our third?  (Assumes Pascal as a 4th).   

Do we want another big bodied guy like Pittman?   Or are we happy with Pascal and Patmon as his backups?

Or do we want more speed?   Another Campbell type of player, or Hilton type of  player?

I honestly think that's a great question. I know most typicly view it through the lens of an X, Y, or Z WR. I think skillset is a big part of things as well. I feel like we have WRs that thrive in the underneath game and in the possession game, but I think without TY, there's a lack of deep speed in our WR room. It also depends on how well a guy like Patmon is progressing, because he has the size and speed. Campbell has the speed, but we haven't seen him used in the passing game yet.

Its tough to say, because there's quite a few unknowns here, but I think that deep threat role is one that needs filling, whether by a guy already on the roster or someone new.

8 minutes ago, Shive said:

I honestly think that's a great question. I know most typicly view it through the lens of an X, Y, or Z WR. I think skillset is a big part of things as well. I feel like we have WRs that thrive in the underneath game and in the possession game, but I think without TY, there's a lack of deep speed in our WR room. It also depends on how well a guy like Patmon is progressing, because he has the size and speed. Campbell has the speed, but we haven't seen him used in the passing game yet.

Its tough to say, because there's quite a few unknowns here, but I think that deep threat role is one that needs filling, whether by a guy already on the roster or someone new.

I asked, because I’m now starting to look at more and more possible draft videos.   And while I love size, who doesn’t love speed as well?   Seems like we’re leaning more toward speed than size.

I’ll start looking in that direction. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't really see Ballard trading down 5 spots in order to only get a 4th and a 6th. Not sure it accomplishes very much.

If anything, given how good a draft this is for tackles, I could see Ballard trading down into the early 2nd round--especially if he ends up trading his own 2nd as part of a package for a QB. Particularly if he likes Cosmi, who likely won't be there at #54. Maybe Eichenberg still would, but most mocks I've seen have Cosmi going late 1st or very early 2nd.

If none of the top-tier tackles or edge guys is there at #21, I could see Ballard calling up the good ol' Jets again and asking them if they'd be willing to give him #34 and #66 for #21. Cosmi (or perhaps Radunz or Leatherwood) could still be there at #34, and I think Ballard could probably find a guy with real potential at #66 as well--maybe even someone with as much potential as anyone there at #54.

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Speed is the new killer weapon. The Colts need more of it on offense, so I see speed over size if they go WR early, which depends entirely on whether they grab a top FA (my preference). 

As to Reuter's prognosis, a couple of thoughts:

1. His first two picks are solid IMO. Don't know enough about the 3rd round CB, but its a serious position of need. 

2. If the Colts make a move in the first round with Cleveland, I'd be amazed if they didn't snag one of the Browns' two third round picks. I know its not a perfect matchup on the draft value chart, but first round swaps rarely are. 

3. I'm one who believes the Colts need to upgrade at TE. Doyle is a solid possession TE; M.A.C. is fine as the 3rd TE; but what a difference it would make to have a true weapon at the position. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the Colts go OT; DE: TE; CB with their first four picks, and grab a FA wide receiver to replace TY. 

NCF, thanks for sharing this. Trying to figure out Chris Ballard this time of year is always fun.

13 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I don't really see Ballard trading down 5 spots in order to only get a 4th and a 6th. Not sure it accomplishes very much.

If anything, given how good a draft this is for tackles, I could see Ballard trading down into the early 2nd round--especially if he ends up trading his own 2nd as part of a package for a QB. Particularly if he likes Cosmi, who likely won't be there at #54. Maybe Eichenberg still would, but most mocks I've seen have Cosmi going late 1st or very early 2nd.

If none of the top-tier tackles or edge guys is there at #21, I could see Ballard calling up the good ol' Jets again and asking them if they'd be willing to give him #34 and #66 for #21. Cosmi (or perhaps Radunz or Leatherwood) could still be there at #34, and I think Ballard could probably find a guy with real potential at #66 as well--maybe even someone with as much potential as anyone there at #54.

I did the math...   and a 4 plus a 6 is a little light, but I think a 4 and a 5 would do it.  But the point is I could see Ballard trading down into something closer to what you talked about.

I saw someone else’s mock that had us trading down to pick 30 and taking Eichenberg.   That seems high for him, but I think the idea is closer to what you want and I think that’s very likely to happen.  

Most people here talk about trading up, when I think the more likely option for us is to trade back a modest amount, collect more picks and still get he player Ballard wants. 

9 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Speed is the new killer weapon. The Colts need more of it on offense, so I see speed over size if they go WR early, which depends entirely on whether they grab a top FA (my preference). 

As to Reuter's prognosis, a couple of thoughts:

1. His first two picks are solid IMO. Don't know enough about the 3rd round CB, but its a serious position of need. 

2. If the Colts make a move in the first round with Cleveland, I'd be amazed if they didn't snag one of the Browns' two third round picks. I know its not a perfect matchup on the draft value chart, but first round swaps rarely are. 

3. I'm one who believes the Colts need to upgrade at TE. Doyle is a solid possession TE; M.A.C. is fine as the 3rd TE; but what a difference it would make to have a true weapon at the position. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the Colts go OT; DE: TE; CB with their first four picks, and grab a FA wide receiver to replace TY. 

NCF, thanks for sharing this. Trying to figure out Chris Ballard this time of year is always fun.

So far what I’m reading leads me to believe this...    that it isn’t a great class for TE’s.   Not much excites me after Pitts and Freuermuth.  I think everyone else is mostly a little meh.

Frank has shown he can run a very good offense without a top tier tight end.   So if we don’t solve it in FA, then I think we’re likely to address the issue a year from now in the ‘22 draft.   

Just thinking out loud... 

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I did the math...   and a 4 plus a 6 is a little light, but I think a 4 and a 5 would do it.  But the point is I could see Ballard trading down into something closer to what you talked about.

I saw someone else’s mock that had us trading down to pick 30 and taking Eichenberg.   That seems high for him, but I think the idea is closer to what you want and I think that’s very likely to happen.  

Most people here talk about trading up, when I think the more likely option for us is to trade back a modest amount, collect more picks and still get he player Ballard wants. 

The reasons I mentioned the hypothetical scenario w/ the Jets are that Ballard has past experience trading with them, and as of now they have multiple picks in Round 3. They might counter saying "we'll give you #34 and #87" (instead of #34 and #66) and Ballard might counter-counter with "only if you include #130" since the Jets also have two 5th round picks.

Perhaps a similar offer w/ Atlanta could also be investigated: #21 for #35 and #68. My point is that I don't see Ballard trading down just to get late 2nd day and/or 3rd day picks. I would suspect he'd have his sights firmly set on 2nd rounders unless, by trading farther down in Round One, he could at least get another 3rd Round pick--say, something like #21 to Green Bay for #29 and #93.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So far what I’m reading leads me to believe this...    that it isn’t a great class for TE’s.   Not much excites me after Pitts and Freuermuth.  I think everyone else is mostly a little meh.

Frank has shown he can run a very good offense without a top tier tight end.   So if we don’t solve it in FA, then I think we’re likely to address the issue a year from now in the ‘22 draft.   

Just thinking out loud... 

That may be so. I haven't done the research on the TE class beyond a few candidates. But the need is real, IMO. Whether its WR or TE or both, upgrading the receiving team has to happen. Of course, for a FA to bite, having the QB situation resolved in a positive way is essential. Lots of moving parts still to be resolved. Fun times ahead. 

9 minutes ago, Hoose said:

That may be so. I haven't done the research on the TE class beyond a few candidates. But the need is real, IMO. Whether its WR or TE or both, upgrading the receiving team has to happen. Of course, for a FA to bite, having the QB situation resolved in a positive way is essential. Lots of moving parts still to be resolved. Fun times ahead. 

I’m hoping we can either sign Hunter Henry or trade for Zack Ertz.    That’s how I’d like to address this. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m hoping we can either sign Hunter Henry or trade for Zack Ertz.    That’s how I’d like to address this. 

I'd be more than fine with either of those options. Ertz cheaper; Henry younger. Both an upgrade. 

9 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Toney worries me. Had very bad case of dropsies at Senior Bowl.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into some Senior Bowl performances. Once upon a time people were talking about KJ Hill and Penny Hart as early standouts and sleeper picks. Trust the tape.

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn’t put too much stock into some Senior Bowl performances. Once upon a time people were talking about KJ Hill and Penny Hart as early standouts and sleeper picks. Trust the tape.

Dropping wide open passes is not a good look. And it's well knows that Ballard loves the senior bowl.

9 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Dropping wide open passes is not a good look. And it's well knows that Ballard loves the senior bowl.

It was at the Senior Bowl though. He has tons of college tape where his hands aren’t an issue. Some of those passes weren’t perfect passes either.

Archived