Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fanbase?

tannurr

4 hours ago, ColtsSouljah said:

Sadly, there are far, far more Bears fans in NW Indiana than Colts fans. I get excited any time I see someone in Colts gear.  It's dumb; NW Indiana is still Indiana. We often don't even get the Colts games televised.

I agree, it’s sad how many Bears fans there are up there. Like, do you live in Illinois or do you live in Indiana? Personally, this is why I want the Colts to change to the Indiana Colts.  That way, it would feel like they represented the state more, and not just Indy. Sometimes it feels to me like they value Indy over the state as a whole

33 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Be glad your not in Oregon. We get the Seahawks shoved up our whooee. 

Of course in the stores, its always Seahawks, 49'rs, Raiders, Broncos and Cowboys gear. 

(insert vomit gif here)

Cowboys gear exists everywhere, sadly. Except maybe Philly

3 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I agree, it’s sad how many Bears fans there are up there. Like, do you live in Illinois or do you live in Indiana? Personally, this is why I want the Colts to change to the Indiana Colts.  That way, it would feel like they represented the state more, and not just Indy. Sometimes it feels to me like they value Indy over the state as a whole

Cowboys gear exists everywhere, sadly. Except maybe Philly

Changing the name isn't going to sway bears fans that have been bears fans for generations.    The bears have been in Chicago 100 years.   The colts have been in Indy 36.   

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Ah! :) I did not know that. Thanks. Studwell played a few years before I became a fan, but I know who he is. He had the same number as a guy that I was a big fan of, Jack Del Rio. 

Haven't you said that you also root for the Chiefs. I assumed many people from your area in Indiana were also Chiefs fans. 

@NFLfan

I am/was a KC fan because it was easier and cheaper to get to a Chief game

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Changing the name isn't going to sway bears fans that have been bears fans for generations.    The bears have been in Chicago 100 years.   The colts have been in Indy 36.   

I probably should’ve stated this better, but I wasn’t really referring to changing Bears fans. I was mostly stating that changing the name would better represent the state, and not just Indy. One difference between the Colts and the Pacers is how they present themselves: the Pacers present themselves as Indiana’s team, while the Colts present themselves as Indianapolis’ team. The Pacers talk about representing Indiana all the time, while the Colts only do it rarely. 

And at the end end of the day, it really isn’t that big of a deal, it’s more of a small thing I’d like to see happen or something I’d do if I owned the Colts, which obviously I don’t lol

49 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I probably should’ve stated this better, but I wasn’t really referring to changing Bears fans. I was mostly stating that changing the name would better represent the state, and not just Indy. One difference between the Colts and the Pacers is how they present themselves: the Pacers present themselves as Indiana’s team, while the Colts present themselves as Indianapolis’ team. The Pacers talk about representing Indiana all the time, while the Colts only do it rarely. 

And at the end end of the day, it really isn’t that big of a deal, it’s more of a small thing I’d like to see happen or something I’d do if I owned the Colts, which obviously I don’t lol

There are only 2 teams in the NFL that don't use a cities name. 

New England and Carolina. 

I guess the 2 New York teams can be included but the Giants didn't even play in the state of New York most of their history.

Looking at it from a different view ::  Which Texas or Florida teams represent those states? :hat:

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess the 2 New York teams can be included but the Giants didn't even play in the state of New York most of their history.

Looking at it from a different view ::  Which Texas or Florida teams represent those states? :hat:

I think that’s a bit of different situation, as those states have two teams. Indiana only has one.

Also, Minnesota Vikings? Arizona Cardinals? Tennessee Titans?

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Arizona Cardinals 

Minnesota Vikings 

Also the city is in the team name but Tampa Bay is not a city.  

19 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The family connections makes sense, of course. What does not make sense is all the lack of Colts "stuff" in the area. The games aren't televised. There is almost no Colts merchandise to be found anywhere. So, what happens is that when people move to the area they follow the Bears instead of the Colts simply due to access. That's stupid. The Colts should be televised in Indiana. There should be at least as much Colts merchandise as Bears merchandise in Indiana. There are a lot of people that move to this region from elsewhere, and it's likely that many of them would follow the Colts if it wasn't so hard to do here.

20 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Doesn't really answer the question but I'm a Colts fan in the UK.

Been following the team since about 2010 and don't plan on stopping any time soon!

I'm from Canada (Saskatchewan) and I've been a Colts fan since the triplets in the early 2000's.  Best thing about up here (minus Southern Ontario rooting for the Bills and BC with the Seahawks) is there is so much variety of who guys root for.  Go into a bar to watch games on Sundays and there is a sea of different jerseys. 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:53 AM, NFLfan said:

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you. You have to post more often. 

It does seem like there are many Bears fans in Indiana, in addition to Colts fans, of course. But I have also heard that there are many Chiefs fans, Bengals fans, and even some Vikings fans.

When I first signed on here 7 years ago (almost to this day), there were a few forum members who sent me PMs telling me that before the Colts arrived to Indy, they were Vikings fans. One of them is still active here. Another person told me that his dad grew up a Vikings fans.

I know 7-8 Vikings fans here in Indiana.  Small sample but they talk about their other friends who like the Vikings. I guess I’ve always enjoyed them minus the Brett Farve years.  They have had fun offenses playing in a dome. I loved Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Robert Smith was a beast at running back and was super bummed when Dante Culpepper suffered that knee injury.  He was very good for awhile. 

6 hours ago, ColtsSouljah said:

The family connections makes sense, of course. What does not make sense is all the lack of Colts "stuff" in the area. The games aren't televised. There is almost no Colts merchandise to be found anywhere. So, what happens is that when people move to the area they follow the Bears instead of the Colts simply due to access. That's stupid. The Colts should be televised in Indiana. There should be at least as much Colts merchandise as Bears merchandise in Indiana. There are a lot of people that move to this region from elsewhere, and it's likely that many of them would follow the Colts if it wasn't so hard to do here.

Where do you live that the Colts aren't televised most weeks?

On 2/13/2021 at 1:07 AM, Arodgers12 said:

There are probably lots of Packers fans in Indiana as well. I know we rule Illinois, Iowa and even parts of Nebraska. 

Packers are like the Steelers and Cowboys. They always have a strong fan base regardless of their win-loss records.

41 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I live in Warren County which is 20min west of Lafayette.  I get the Bears some weeks bc they lump us in with the Illinois affiliates.  It’s super annoying.  

Some of my Western(Illinois) and Southern(Kentucky) neighbors feel the same way about being lumped into the Evansville market

13 hours ago, ColtsSouljah said:

Merchandise is based off of demand.   

Northern Indiana is Bears territory.  Lots of Bears fans that want the Bears game televised.  South Bend will usually air Bears games first.  

39 minutes ago, Myles said:

Merchandise is based off of demand.   

Northern Indiana is Bears territory.  Lots of Bears fans that want the Bears game televised.  South Bend will usually air Bears games first.  

I think there are more Notre Dame fans up there than Colts or Bears? :D

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yup. And ND fans are national. 

Gary drives northern Indiana broadcast. IIRC, Bears ratings have been dropping, and Colts rising, over the last 5ish years. 

IMO, the NFL should simply use state lines. 

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. And ND fans are national. 

Gary drives northern Indiana broadcast. IIRC, Bears ratings have been dropping, and Colts rising, over the last 5ish years. 

IMO, the NFL should simply use state lines. 

They can’t do that without a in state CBS or Fox affiliate in the market

On 2/12/2021 at 10:46 PM, tannurr said:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but a random thought popped into my head the other day and I've been curious about it ever since. 

I've always just assumed that more or less, most football fans in the state of Indiana were Colts fans, but then I got to thinking about Gary, Indiana and how close they are to Chicago. Is there some kind of even split there or do they lean more one way to either the Bears or the Colts. 

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong area or if it's just a dumb question in general, but I've been curious about it since I live in Virginia and don't really have an in person view on any of this.

In my experience the 50/50 line happens about South Bend which is where I am working now.  To the west of South Bend, where I grew up in LaPorte, IN and went to college in Valparaiso, IN it's more Bears fans.  Even in South Bend though if a Bears and Colts game conflict the Bears game wins out.  

Of course once you get out of the very Northern portion of the state it's Colts fans.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:32 PM, crazycolt1 said:

As stated Notre Dame is more national, considering that ND is right in South Bend, there actually are not that many Irish fans as what you would expect.  

The thing about private school sports teams and I can say this having graduated from Valparaiso University and living in the South Bend area . . . Fans of private school sports teams usually need to be a bit more connected to the institution itself.  

I'll give you an example. . . I'm an Iowa fan, my mom raised me to be an Iowa fan.  She's an Iowa fan because she grew up in Iowa.  That's it.  Up until one of my cousins went to Iowa, she never knew anyone who attended Iowa and as far as I know my cousin is the only person any of us know personally who attended Iowa.  That's our only connection to that institution yet my mom and I both wear our Hawkeye gear all the time (I alternate between Hawkeye and Colts stuff with a little bit of Chelsea FC and Valpo mixed in.)

Going to school most of the people I knew were IU or Purdue fans, even if they didn't know anyone who went to those institutions.

Whereas with private schools like Valpo or ND. . . The fans usually have a more personal connection to the school . . . they went there or work there or their kid/parent went there.  I've met people who grew up in Valpo who have told me that they were barely aware that they lived in a college town.  They had never really been on campus for anything, they certainly paid no attention to their sports teams. . . it was just a place that was there that they never paid much mind to.

For me, the only attention I pay to Notre Dame sports is if they are having a football game at a specific time I try to avoid going to places which would force me to drive near their campus.  So basically 6 Saturdays a year I avoid a certain part of town which experiences a high volume of traffic due to football games.  

So I think if you came to South Bend I think you would be shocked as to just how many people are NOT Irish fans.  Now granted there are plenty of people who are, enough that the Irish get local radio coverage here.  But among college football fans I would estimate somewhere between 20 to 25% are Notre Dame fans and 75% are fans of some other school.

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

As stated Notre Dame is more national, considering that ND is right in South Bend, there actually are not that many Irish fans as what you would expect.  

The thing about private school sports teams and I can say this having graduated from Valparaiso University and living in the South Bend area . . . Fans of private school sports teams usually need to be a bit more connected to the institution itself.  

I'll give you an example. . . I'm an Iowa fan, my mom raised me to be an Iowa fan.  She's an Iowa fan because she grew up in Iowa.  That's it.  Up until one of my cousins went to Iowa, she never knew anyone who attended Iowa and as far as I know my cousin is the only person any of us know personally who attended Iowa.  That's our only connection to that institution yet my mom and I both wear our Hawkeye gear all the time (I alternate between Hawkeye and Colts stuff with a little bit of Chelsea FC and Valpo mixed in.)

Going to school most of the people I knew were IU or Purdue fans, even if they didn't know anyone who went to those institutions.

Whereas with private schools like Valpo or ND. . . The fans usually have a more personal connection to the school . . . they went there or work there or their kid/parent went there.  I've met people who grew up in Valpo who have told me that they were barely aware that they lived in a college town.  They had never really been on campus for anything, they certainly paid no attention to their sports teams. . . it was just a place that was there that they never paid much mind to.

For me, the only attention I pay to Notre Dame sports is if they are having a football game at a specific time I try to avoid going to places which would force me to drive near their campus.  So basically 6 Saturdays a year I avoid a certain part of town which experiences a high volume of traffic due to football games.  

So I think if you came to South Bend I think you would be shocked as to just how many people are NOT Irish fans.  Now granted there are plenty of people who are, enough that the Irish get local radio coverage here.  But among college football fans I would estimate somewhere between 20 to 25% are Notre Dame fans and 75% are fans of some other school.

There are tons of ND fans in and around South Bend.    25% is why under.     Not even close

On 2/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, chickenMan said:

I don't think it is sad.   It makes sense.   Indiana didn't have a football team when many people grew up.   

The Bears are also closer to much of northern Indiana than the Colts are.  

Do you feel it is sad that there are many Colts fans west of Terre Haute, but in Illinois?

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think it is sad.   It makes sense.   Indiana didn't have a football team when many people grew up.   

Do you feel it is sad that there are many Colts fans west of Terre Haute, but in Illinois?

Bingo

5 hours ago, Myles said:

It makes sense, but it still makes me sad. Everyone should be Colts fans, they’re obviously the best team

On 2/16/2021 at 1:51 PM, jvan1973 said:

There are tons of ND fans in and around South Bend.    25% is why under.     Not even close

That's not been my experience.  I don't see that much Notre Dame stuff being worn and the place where I work I've only known a few Irish fans and a lot of fans of other schools.  

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's not been my experience.  I don't see that much Notre Dame stuff being worn and the place where I work I've only known a few Irish fans and a lot of fans of other schools.  

I've lived in Elkhart a long time.    I would say it's 50% ND.  30% Michigan and 20% everyone else.    Go to a sports bar in Michiana on a football Saturday then come talk to me

On 2/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, polk_high_allstar said:

I'm from Canada (Saskatchewan) and I've been a Colts fan since the triplets in the early 2000's.  Best thing about up here (minus Southern Ontario rooting for the Bills and BC with the Seahawks) is there is so much variety of who guys root for.  Go into a bar to watch games on Sundays and there is a sea of different jerseys. 

Rider Country, I'll bet it's a little cool in your neck of the woods at the moment. I'm from Prince Edward Island and there are soooo many Patriots fans here. Although, I expect those numbers to begin to plummet.

20 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I've lived in Elkhart a long time.    I would say it's 50% ND.  30% Michigan and 20% everyone else.    Go to a sports bar in Michiana on a football Saturday then come talk to me

I'm not sure a sports bar is necessarily the best overall measure.  A lot of people don't watch football games at sports bars.  I've only ever watched one game at a sports bar.  

37 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure a sports bar is necessarily the best overall measure.  A lot of people don't watch football games at sports bars.  I've only ever watched one game at a sports bar.  

That isn't the case at south bend bars on GameDay

Archived