Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A lot of talk in Jax about the Colts talking to Atlanta about Ryan

ColtJax

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They will ask for 2 1st rounders for Matt Ryan anyways. I am not sure if we can get more than 1-2 years from Matt Ryan, that is my issue here. Rams are stockpiled with talent compared to ours, to go a little more ALL IN for now, I don't think we are there.

I think their preference would be to trade Ryan to us, and use a draft pick to move up to #2 and take Fields.  They can find a way to work through the cap problem this year, IMO.  Its a write off season anyway.  May as well get started early on the rebuild when you have the QB you want in range.

If you don't want Ryan, I get that, but ATL is way more likley to move up from 4 than down.  JMO.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think their preference would be to trade Ryan to us, and use a draft pick to move up to #2 and take Fields.  They can find a way to work through the cap problem this year, IMO.  Its a write off season anyway.  May as well get started early on the rebuild when you have the QB you want in range.

If you don't want Ryan, I get that, but ATL is way more likley to move up from 4 than down.  JMO.

I wouldn’t give up 2 1s but I don’t want Matt Ryan anyway. I want the revolving door to cease 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You know what, we should do a 1st and a future 2nd (conditional to move up to a 1st if he makes the Pro Bowl). Then, all Colts fans at the end of the season, go vote for several different QBs so that Matt Ryan does not make the Pro Bowl and we keep our future 1st rounder. That would make us like Jags fans, who voted for Ngakoue so that the Vikings pony up a higher pick. :)  j/k

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Ballard is just doing his research.   We have to find out how serious Atlanta’s desire is to draft a QB?  Do we have to get in front of them to get one?  Would they be willing to trade up higher from 4th to get him?  Would they be willing to trade back out of the 4th pick?  We also get to find out if Ryan is actually available or not and how much he’d cost?  With the Falcons being an NFC team, Ballard may be more willing to send one of our top rated players (like Hines) to them. 

Like the way Ballard is handling the Wentz negotiations not giving in imagine if Grigson was still here you no he would give up 2 # ones and more

I never understand why people think we can draft a quarterback who will solve our problems. That worked before because we had the No. 1 pick. The chances of doing it where we are picking now isn't so good. I think Ryan would be a great solution and give us a chance to see if Eason develops. There are no guarantees a quarterback we draft would be any better than Eason.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I wouldn’t give up 2 1s but I don’t want Matt Ryan anyway. I want the revolving door to cease 

I'm still convinced that Eason can be as much our future as any college QB we draft this year.  So I just see it as a possible revolving door even if we draft Jones or trade up for Fields.

But I don't want to give two firsts either.

Ryan is 36 and can only go to a team that's a playoff team and has cap space. but needs a QB.  How many teams fit that mold?  Wentz is 28 and is still young enough for a team to build around.

Might come down to CHI and us again, and it seems that CHI is in the same valuation ball park as we are.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think they'll ask a kings ransom for the pick.  Kiss the value chart goodbye.

Pay it.  Get our franchise QB in here and let’s seize the AFC Throne while KC is humbled and Brady is in the NFC.  We are building a team foundation that has dynasty potential. Get the QB & don’t look back.

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Pay it.  Get our franchise QB in here and let’s seize the AFC Throne while KC is humbled and Brady is in the NFC.  We are building a team foundation that has dynasty potential. Get the QB & don’t look back.

A rookie isn't going to get us that far.  Mahomes sat a year.  Allen sucked.  Mayfield.  It ain't happening next year with a rookie.  JMO.

But building dynasty potential, I get that.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A rookie isn't going to get us that far.  Mahomes sat a year.  Allen sucked.  Mayfield.  It ain't happening next year with a rookie.  JMO.

But building dynasty potential, I get that.

Most rookies the caliber of Fields, Wilson, & Lawrence get drafted high to poor teams that are rebuilding.  My scenario is taking a super talented young QB and putting them on an ascending team with 6 All Pros (that number doesn’t include Hines, Smith, Moore, Blackmon, Pittman, Campbell, Doyle) and many other talented players.  

Whether you chose to go the Mahomes route(sit full season), Jackson route (sit half a season), or Russell Wilson route (open QB competition and if the rookie wins and looks ready you start them out the gate) I think we have a team that can have immediate success with the young QB.  Maybe not win the championship year one but we can make the playoffs and win a game or two.  

59 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Again, this to me, and I preface to me... this is stupid

If Matt Ryan could not win in Atlanta (Consistently) with the skill talent he has there, then why would anyone believe he could win here with less?

It makes NO sense... Julio and Ridley = Pittman and Pascal? :lol:..... Yeah..... NO

I agree with this. Ryan also routinely  finds a way to choke away big leads with terrible  game management  after getting  big leads. This is even after they fired Dan quin

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Let me make the case. Matt Ryan has been an MVP in the league, had more winning seasons in the league than Stafford and a better career win pct. and they will ask for 2 first rounders stating that if Stafford can get 2 first rounders and a 3rd, we should be able to get 2 first rounders, that is what I anticipate them saying. I agree that one of those first rounders was a wash with Jared Goff's contract, if you exclude that, it is a 1st and a 3rd without Goff in the picture.

1st and a 3rd for Stafford, 2 first rounders at worst for Ryan is what they will settle for, knowing our current first rounder is No.21. If we throw in a young defensive player worth something, they may do a 1st and a 3rd, I can see that.

As you've mentioned, there was a reason for the extra compensation for Stafford.

So lets take that 1st and a 3rd you've came back down to and devalue from there.

Matt Ryan is 3yrs older, and the potential to save $23m against rhe cao this year with post June 1st trade. (I dont see them trading before, they wiukd lose $4m more than just keeping him.($44m vs $40m). Plus compensation pushed back a year, so we have all picks in 2021 at disposal.

Post June 1st offer:

2022 2nd(turns to first if we win division)

2023 3rd

For 

Ryan

Sign me up.

When you think about the Colts options, Ryan makes the most sense (depending upon what you would have to give up). 
   He has SB experience (the coaching staff, let him down with their play calling in the forth quarter), he’s the right age to give us two or three years and possibly be a mentor for Eason to take over. He’s accurate and has a gun for an arm.

Wentz? Too much of a head case. I don’t think his “football character” is a fit with this team.

Darnold? Unproven commodity- we don’t know his ceiling but have seen the floor and it’s not good.

Fitz? Complained when Tua took over.

Draft? No guarantee any of them available will be a long-term solution.

And as much as I wanted Stafford, he would have delayed Eason’s development.

That being said, if Atlanta wants more than 2 or more #1s, maybe the Colts will pass. 
     I know people feel we’ve got a lot of holes to fill but what if they fix their LT spot with Nelson or FA, sign Rhodes or Rogers becomes a starter, Campbell has an injury free year and Turay/Banagu improve their pass rush, then Ballard can afford to give up a first and fill the remaining holes (TE, WR, DE backup tackle), with the picks he has left.

You put Ryan on this team and the Colts will be a contender.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

As you've mentioned, there was a reason for the extra compensation for Stafford.

So lets take that 1st and a 3rd you've came back down to and devalue from there.

Matt Ryan is 3yrs older, and the potential to save $23m against rhe cao this year with post June 1st trade. (I dont see them trading before, they wiukd lose $4m more than just keeping him.($44m vs $40m). Plus compensation pushed back a year, so we have all picks in 2021 at disposal.

Post June 1st offer:

2022 2nd(turns to first if we win division)

2023 3rd

For 

Ryan

Sign me up.

Most likely, what we want and what they want is going to be different:

Falcons' likely expected Post June 1st expectations:

2022 Unconditional 1st

2023 3rd

Just now, chad72 said:

Most likely, what we want and what they want is going to be different:

Falcons' likely expected Post June 1st offer:

2022 Unconditional 1st

2023 3rd

We would be doing them a huge solid by allowing them to wait till after June 1st and save cap space, without that option they are in trouble. That reduces compensation going their way.

They probably just want to move toward in most economic way possible. They might even compensate us in the deal.

Ryan

2022 3rd

For 

2022 4th.

That $23m savings and ability to put a team together this season is huge.

Matt Ryan has been throwing to Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley...  we have nothing close to those 2.   He also has about the same mobility as rivers.

I'd like to think we'd get the 4500 yards and 30 td Matt Ryan he was in Atlanta, but I just don't see it

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Matt Ryan has been throwing to Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley...  we have nothing close to those 2.   He also has about the same mobility as rivers.

I'd like to think we'd get the 4500 yards and 30 td Matt Ryan he was in Atlanta, but I just don't see it

Trading a 1 for Ryan wouldn't be smart 

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

We would be doing them a huge solid by allowing them to wait till after June 1st and save cap space, without that option they are in trouble. That reduces compensation going their way.

They probably just want to move toward in most economic way possible. They might even compensate us in the deal.

Ryan

2022 3rd

For 

2022 4th.

You are talking rationally. Not all GMs are Howie of the Eagles but it seems like GMs are bent on getting a first rounder to show like they did something of value to their owner and team. Just saying.

I still think your first offer of

Post June 1st offer:

2022 2nd (turns to first if we win division)

2023 3rd

will be what it might end up or in that ballpark. They are not going to give him away.

I've been seeing a lot of people talking about teams only getting to and winning SBs during a lot of QBs rookie contracts unless you're tom brady. The vast majority of teams don't make it once that QB is re signed. So, maybe a bridge QB is just as good as a rookie on his first deal, or better? 

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

...and for a better quarterback.

Thing is: the Falcons would have more cause to demand more in a trade than the Eagles do.  The Eagles are obviously overvaluing Wentz, who ended his season on the sidelines.  But Ryan would command more trade capital.

Nobody disagrees with that.  But it’s way easier said than done.

Thank You Mr. Luck!  Hope you enjoy that TV and ticket money for doing NOTHING!

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'm still convinced that Eason can be as much our future as any college QB we draft this year.  So I just see it as a possible revolving door even if we draft Jones or trade up for Fields.

But I don't want to give two firsts either.

Ryan is 36 and can only go to a team that's a playoff team and has cap space. but needs a QB.  How many teams fit that mold?  Wentz is 28 and is still young enough for a team to build around.

Might come down to CHI and us again, and it seems that CHI is in the same valuation ball park as we are.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I’m not saying to go draft anyone or pass it to Eason. I’m just saying whatever move(s) we make need to be long term and not for a year or two, which is all Ryan would be.  There’s no sure thing no matter what way we end up going.

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard were to trade for a veteran like Ryan, he hopefully wouldn't deal anything more than a 3rd round pick or so. Can't be giving up 1st round and high picks for a guy that will most likely only be the starter in Indy for another 2 years. 

If Ballard wasn't giving a first rounder for Stafford (reportedly), there's no way he's dealing a one for anyone, realistically.

This isn't an original thought, but our 1 for Wentz in exchange for their 2, would be fair.  Especially if they throw in Ertz.

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Ryan

2022 3rd

For 

2022 4th.

That savings will help them the next year, where if they delay a trade to past June first I think that will cost them more in 2022 than if they traded him now.  This year's a writeoff season,  They would want as much cap cleared for the next season as possible.  Start building in earnest after the rookie has a season under his belt.  At least that's the way I would think about it.

Big difference between Philly and ATL.  Philly supposedly has their starter and future in Hurts.  They can do what they want with pick 6.

ATL needs to be assured to get who they want, and pick 4 doesn't do that.  They need us a lot more than Philly needs us.  And their are fewer suitors for a 36 year old QB.

I think this trade would look more like what we think a trade for a bad contract and a 36 year old player would look like.  I think you're light on the compensation we'd need, but not two firsts, no way.

12 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Should we get this thread up to 100 pages too? Asking for a friend.

They way its working it will probably be thread 3 if Wentz is off somewhere else..

What's it matter to you how many pages a thread has though? Asking for a friend?

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That savings will help them the next year, where if they delay a trade to past June first I think that will cost them more in 2022 than if they traded him now.  This year's a writeoff season,  They would want as much cap cleared for the next season as possible.  Start building in earnest after the rookie has a season under his belt.  At least that's the way I would think about it.

Big difference between Philly and ATL.  Philly supposedly has their starter and future in Hurts.  They can do what they want with pick 6.

ATL needs to be assured to get who they want, and pick 4 doesn't do that.  They need us a lot more than Philly needs us.  And their are fewer suitors for a 36 year old QB.

I think this trade would look more like what we think a trade for a bad contract and a 36 year old player would look like.  I think you're light on the compensation we'd need, but not two firsts, no way.

For the record, I would prefer to do it now(March 17th) as well to have it done.

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

They way its working it will probably be thread 3 if Wentz is off somewhere else..

What's it matter to you how many pages a thread has though? Asking for a friend?

Not a thing. It was just a joke. I should have added a smiley face or something.

Matt Ryan throughout his career has been consistently a top 10 QB and he’s never had a offensive line as great as the one we have now. If Rivers could thrive at his age of 39 years old than Ryan can do the same at 36. 

There are too many teams in the top 15 that needs a QB so it will be very difficult to trade up. Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz are probably the best options this team has right now. 

1 minute ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Matt Ryan throughout his career has been consistently a top 10 QB and he’s never had a offensive line as great as the one we have now. If Rivers could thrive at his age of 39 years old than Ryan can do the same at 36. 

There are too many teams in the top 15 that needs a QB so it will be very difficult to trade up. Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz are probably the best options this team has right now. 

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

2 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

You don't want to give up multiple first round picks to grab the 5th best prospect in the draft?!!!?!?! 

Crazy I say 

I say we go for Matt Ryan with 21+future 3d or something... then next year when Ryan retires we use another 1st and 3d for Big Ben... then after he retires the following year we can use another 1st for the next vet. We can serve as a retirement home for vet QBs. 

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

That makes you sad,  but hey, what about Mitch?

Definitely don't want Wentz, bit Ryan is more than intriguing.

Mitch, have him over Wentz but still, that would make me sad.

I would gladly take Trubisky over either.

We would save our picks and use them well 

Ryan reminds me of Rivers, great pocket passer. Statue like, doesnt have that clutch, game winning savage mentality that the most successful QBs seem to have. He may be the best option though as it seems the Eagles are completely delusional about the value of Wentz, looking for someone in the NFL that maybe not as sharp to deal with them hahaa i dont think that person is Ballard. 

Archived