Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A lot of talk in Jax about the Colts talking to Atlanta about Ryan

ColtJax

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, w87r said:

If a fan base leaves for 1 transition season then, who wants them as fans anyway. Those are not very good fans.

Again, I think you are minimizing just how bad of an affect putting an unprepared rookie under center could be. For one thing, it will have a great impact on FA for that entire season. Secondly, I highly doubt Mr. Irsay feels as you (your qoute)

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Believe it or not there are people that do. We have been the 2nd best franchise since the 2000's began overall wins wise with a SB win (only behind the Pats). I personally don't want to start Eason and I don't want Wentz, Trubisky, or Darnold. Those QB's would be a step back from Rivers. I want Ryan, Carr, or even Watson. I understand Watson is a long shot but I am just listing the 3 QB's that can get us to the playoffs and do some damage. If some want the first 4 I listed then they may be ok with medicore or even a bad season. None of those 4 will be better than Rivers, Rivers had a good year. JMO's. 

I don't know more than Ballard as I told @NewColtsFan so whoever Ballard trades for I will roll with it but I am just giving my opinions and thoughts.

Thanks for the input.   There is no one that wants Eason to succeed more than I do.   I picked him last yr as the player the Colts needed to get.    They did, but I was wrong in thinking he was ready as determined by our staff.  

Will he be some time?   I hope so!   But like @NewColtsFan has said a billion times.  You can't rush his development or you risk the chance of ruining his career.   ( I don't yet know how to do that tag thingy NCF so hopefully you see this) 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Again, I think you are minimizing just how bad of an affect putting an unprepared rookie under center could be. For one thing, it will have a great impact on FA for that entire season. Secondly, I highly doubt Mr. Irsay feels as you (your qoute)

I really don't want Eason to start. Not sure if that is clear but it should be, as it's been stated clearly. Just laying out possible positive aspects, if it happened to be the case.

I wouldn't call him an unprepared rookie though. Fact is, he will be a 2nd year QB that has been working the playbook for over a year. That is more prepares than any rookie we draft.

Who our QB is this year will have almost no effect on FA. Might make a big time WR question it, but outside of that, what? Players will want to be part of our defense. A LT will want that job, unless we draft. 

And lets just say hypothetically we rolled with Eason, we would have more money to offer than other teams. That is FAs first thoughts, then onto other reasons.(contenders, local)

Also FA starts before the draft. How do FAs know whether a rookie QB is in the cards? Does that make them not want to come? Which would be the true definition of throwing an unprepared rookie under center.

What is your preference on this QB search? I'm sure you've posted somewhere, just checking though.

There is still a few vets that could come in via trade(which is my 1st preference), Ryan is my #1 option.

If we bring in Wentz I will support it. Still have Carr, Darnold maybe?

Other than that its probably FA vet(bridge) or rookie. No guarantees how good we are with these options, probably middle of pack with Bridge at best.

Irsay definitely doesn't feel that way about the fans, but I don't think he believes if Eason was the QB that fans wouldn't root for the Colts anymore. Would attendance be effected? Maybe, maybe not. Couple things would play into it.

1. Will stadiums be back to full capacity(Covid)

2. If so, fans will probably be anxious to get back after a forced year away. If not, attendance wouldn't be effected to much, reduced numbers would sell out every week.

3. There could be new excitement to seeing if Eason has potential to be QB of the future.

I think the Colts have given the fans enough to root for over the years, and have a long enough lease, for the fans to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Appreciate the questions.

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Just what makes you think Eason would be an unprepared if he does end up being the starter? 

Look. I don't have the answers anymore than anyone else but assuming things that are yet to be determined is not the answer. 

1 minute ago, BluesGirl said:

Thanks for the input.   There is no one that wants Eason to succeed more than I do.   I picked him last yr as the player the Colts needed to get.    They did, but I was wrong in thinking he was ready as determined by our staff.  

Will he be some time?   I hope so!   But like NewColtsFan has said a billion times.  You can't rush his development or you risk the chance of ruining his career.   ( I don't yet know how to do that tag thingy NCF so hopefully you see this) 

It could effect Eason negatively, but it could help him move to next level of development quicker as well. Only thing that matters ro me about Eason right now is that he gets the proper evaluation before we toss him aside.

As far as tagging people, you have to use @(then start typing their screen name), then click on it.

Just now, w87r said:

It could effect Eason negatively, but it could help him move to next level of development quicker as well. Only thing that matters ro me about Eason right now is that he gets the proper evaluation before we toss him aside.

As far as tagging people, you have to use @(then start typing their screen name), then click on it.

@w87r  Got it!!!!     Thanks!

Yes I agree with you.    The offseason killed that for him.    I do like Eason, maybe more than most on here. I followed him all last season and was elated when the Colts got him.  Kid has a cannon.

FWIW.  I am a HUGE Jamie Newman fan.   He may be the steal in the draft in a yr or two. 

22 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Will he be some time?   I hope so!   But like @NewColtsFan has said a billion times.  You can't rush his development or you risk the chance of ruining his career.   ( I don't yet know how to do that tag thingy NCF so hopefully you see this) 

You tagged him, he will see this.

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

I wouldn't call him an unprepared rookie though. Fact is, he will be a 2nd year QB that has been working the playbook for over a year. That is more prepares than any rookie we draft.

He is unprepared, because he has never played live with the 1st unit. That is what the preseason is for. But he didn't get one. Of course he is farther along than a rookie this year, but he is still unprepared to lead a mature roster line the Colts have assembled under Ballard.

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Who our QB is this year will have almost no effect on FA.

We'll just have to disagree on this. I would say that other than $$$, FA's look at the QB as a huge affect on where they want to go. Since Ballard doesn't throw stupid money at FA's, we had better have a QB in place before FA starts if there are targets on their radar. 

Also FA starts before the draft. How do FAs know whether a rookie QB is in the cards?

See above. If we don't have one signed, it can have an affect on the FA's choosing between two teams. 

What is your preference on this QB search? I'm sure you've posted somewhere, just checking though.

If I saw a QB in the draft that I thought as GM was worth spending that kind of draft coin on, I would go for it. If not, I would not spend multiple 1st's for no-one other than Stafford (gone), Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, or Watson. I would look for a 2-3 year bridge QB and my choice would be Ryan Fitz. 

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

There is still a few vets that could come in via trade(which is my 1st preference), Ryan is my #1 option.

Which Ryan?

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Irsay definitely doesn't feel that way about the fans, but I don't think he believes if Eason was the QB that fans wouldn't root for the Colts anymore.

No, but again, I truly feel that a list of all the good things that can happen from Eason getting the start day one that doesn't imply a negative, is naïve at best. 

On 2/11/2021 at 5:50 AM, Colt Overseas said:

I like Ryan, but the cap hit is a problem for me. I think its $40m. Also in 2022 and 2023, he has cap hits of $41m and $36m according to Spotrac. So to acquire him we would need to give up probably a 1st round pick as well as taking away our ability to sign in a good free agent or two. He would fix the QB spot, but severely restrict us in filling in holes at LT, DE, CB, WR, via FA or draft.

He is also nearly 36. Pass I'm afraid.

Where are you getting these numbers? Lol.

45 minutes ago, BillCoslosky87 said:

Where are you getting these numbers? Lol.

The website is called...  “spotrac.com”

Its a website that has financial info on all sports teams in all the Big Four team sports leagues. 

There’s an article there called quarterback carousel.   I linked here not too long ago.  And I think member w87r has it over pinned on the draft/free agent page as well. 

Hope this helps. 

7 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

How do you see that season unfolding for Ballard, Reich and Eason -- where they have an otherwise talented team, but the quarterback chosen to be the starter, Eason, clearly isn't ready and perhaps even loses his job during the season, and they head into the following off-season with same unsolved quarterback questions they have now? That's going to be a plus for Ballard and Reich in their careers and their efforts to move the Colts' forward? 

The Colts' team has some holes to fill, but it's still too good to tank next season to find out what they have in a fourth-round drafted quarterback. With the improving defense they have, the strong offensive line and some young talent at offensive skill positions, it would make the Colts' management and coaches look like incompetent fools to finish sub-.500 because they didn't know if Eason would be good or not, so they thought they should play him and find out. 

Who cares how they look? 

What's going to be a plus is no huge cap hit or loss of assets traded to get a subpar QB. 

Like Ballard said, you can't force it. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The website is called...  “spotrac.com”

Its a website that has financial info on all sports teams in all the Big Four team sports leagues. 

There’s an article there called quarterback carousel.   I linked here not too long ago.  And I think member w87r has it over pinned on the draft/free agent page as well. 

Hope this helps. 

I think he was asking that question, because the numbers were wrong. Which had been addressed already earlier in the thread.

(Repost from page 1)His cap hits are nothing like that for team he is traded to.

It's:right numbers(wrong numbers posted)

2021 - $23m($40m)

2022 - $23.75m($41m)

2023 - $28m($36m)

On 2/11/2021 at 5:59 AM, JackOLantin said:

Also a side note let’s say Matt plays at say Rivers level for three years and we give up say a first and a fourth next year!

I’d be good with that! Ballard has a solid football philosophy, drafts well and has built a solid crew!

1st are over rated if your picking late in the draft. As longs we don’t give up a handful of picks I’m good!

I agree.  Firsts can be powerful assets, but the point of having an asset is to use it to put the best possible team on the field every year, not to hoard it.  Spend what it takes to stay relevant, and marshall the rest of your assets for the future.

44 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Matt Ryan is to old we want a dynasty not a rental Qb not every one is Tom Brady and eats avocado ice cream and hasn’t eaten sugar for 15 years .     We need wentz now we already missed out on love last year . Two big misses would break the locker room

Matt Ryan has missed 2 games in his whole 13 year career and he isn't old. 35 isn't old for a QB that has never been seriously injured and he has a strict diet as well. I remember hearing someone in the Atlanta media saying the guy doesn't even drink at all. Ryan could give us 3 or 4 more years. He would be a lot better than Wentz. Ryan has won a League MVP and been to a SB, should've had a ring had his defense been able to hold a 28-3.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan has missed 2 games in his whole 13 year career and he isn't old. 35 isn't old for a QB that has never been seriously injured and he has a strict diet as well. I remember hearing someone in the Atlanta media saying the guy doesn't even drink at all. Ryan could give us 3 or 4 more years. He would be a lot better than Wentz. Ryan has won a League MVP and been to a SB, should've had a ring had his defense been able to hold a 28-3.

I rather have 12 years from wentz or a rookie . It’s frustrating not having a franchise guy , and in 4 years we’re back to square one 

14 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I rather have 12 years from wentz or a rookie . It’s frustrating not having a franchise guy , and in 4 years we’re back to square one 

We would have to hit on the perfect rookie and where we probably disagree is, I don't think Wentz is the answer. Who knows what our team will even look like in 5 years. If we got Ryan for 3 years while Nelson, JT,  Pittman, and Leonard are young and Buckner playing out his prime I would be fine with that.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We would have to hit on the perfect rookie and where we probably disagree is, I don't think Wentz is the answer. Who knows what our team will even look like in 5 years. If we got Ryan for 3 years while Nelson, JT,  Pittman, and Leonard are young and Buckner playing out his prime I would be fine with that.

I really do think wentz is the answer he had personal problems and a horrible team last year .   Just think how bad rivers looked the year before we sighted him . All 3 seasons wentz played good just one bad season . He is mobile big arm and was good under reich . Reich will turn him into a top 5 Qb in 3 years and a top ten next year 

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I really do think wentz is the answer he had personal problems and a horrible team last year .   Just think how bad rivers looked the year before we sighted him . All 3 seasons wentz played good just one bad season . He is mobile big arm and was good under reich . Reich will turn him into a top 5 Qb in 3 years and a top ten next year 

If we get him, I hope you are right and I am wrong. Because all I want is to win, I just don't see it as of now but I have been wrong before. Leadership matters a lot and Rivers had great leadership and he was durable, 2 things I haven't seen from Wentz.

12 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I agree.  Firsts can be powerful assets, but the point of having an asset is to use it to put the best possible team on the field every year, not to hoard it.  Spend what it takes to stay relevant, and marshall the rest of your assets for the future.

Exactly!

Keep the pick and draft your guy (Ryan Kelly)

Trade the pick to move back and get extra picks (Nelson, Smith, Ya Sin, Turay, Wilkins)

Trade the pick for a proven stud (Bruckner)

I'm glad we have a GM who knows every year is different & every option is on the table.

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

The Falcons are not trading the 4th pick to move down to #21.

Depends on what kind of haul they can get. If you think the Falcons won't trade down, then it's safe to say that you think none of the teams in the top 7 will either. In which case, the Colts need to offer more for the guy in Philly, or wrap their minds around trading up to get Mac Jones.

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Depends on what kind of haul they can get. If you think the Falcons won't trade down, then it's safe to say that you think none of the teams in the top 7 will either. In which case, the Colts need to offer more for the guy in Philly, or wrap their minds around trading up to get Mac Jones.

No it has nothing do do with other top 7 teams. This is strictly about the Falcons, they are not used to having thus high of a pick, so they have to make it count thus year while they do.

They are going to want their QB of the future and are in position to get one of the top ones.

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Do you think you would do No.21 and a future 2nd rounder for Wentz and the Eagles No.37 pick?

Idk?

Its better than the current rumored deal.

Difference between #21 and #37 is the last pick of 2nd round.

50 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Exactly!

Trade the pick to move back and get extra picks (Nelson, Smith, Ya Sin, Turay, Wilkins)

I'm glad we have a GM who knows every year is different & every option is on the table.

Very true.  So many options.  If we get a veteran QB this year and don't have to give up a 1st to do it he's liable to trade it for a franchised tagged WR like Robinson for example to give him a big weapon.  Or he could trade back and get more picks.  I'm also glad we have a GM who is deliberate and knowledgable.  He hits for a high average and he hits a lot of home runs.  No complaints from me. 

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Exactly!

Wasn't Ryan Kelly already drafted by the Colts before Ballard became the Colts GM?

Its interesting to review Matt Ryan's stats. He doesn't miss games; he's played for a team with recent defensive woes; his QB rating is consistently good. He gets sacked a ton. And he's younger than Aaron Rogers. He's not nearly as bad as he's been made out to be, and quite a bit better than QBs like Trubisky, who, after another look, should not be in the running for the Colts' QB in my opinion. I'm giving Matt Ryan another look, and he looks better than most, except for his age. I'd be ok with him at the helm for a few years while we groom Eason or another guy. 

And looking at Atlanta's situation, I think they are ready to move on. They can and will get a top QB in the draft. This could be a much better situation for the Colts than Carson Wentz. And the salary, as has been pointed out, isn't nearly as bad for the team acquiring Ryan. I'm not sure what his price would be, but likely not prohibitive. 

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

Its interesting to review Matt Ryan's stats. He doesn't miss games; he's played for a team with recent defensive woes; his QB rating is consistently good. He gets sacked a ton. And he's younger than Aaron Rogers. He's not nearly as bad as he's been made out to be, and quite a bit better than QBs like Trubisky, who, after another look, should not be in the running for the Colts' QB in my opinion. I'm giving Matt Ryan another look, and he looks better than most, except for his age. I'd be ok with him at the helm for a few years while we groom Eason or another guy. 

And looking at Atlanta's situation, I think they are ready to move on. They can and will get a top QB in the draft. This could be a much better situation for the Colts than Carson Wentz. And the salary, as has been pointed out, isn't nearly as bad for the team acquiring Ryan. I'm not sure what his price would be, but likely not prohibitive. 

Yep and like I posted a few times.

We can agree to a post June 1st trade which would save ATL $23m in 2021 cap space, leaving their dead cap spread over 2 years.

Benefits both teams as ATL saves noney this year and Colts can go about their offseason knowing QB situation is handled come June 1st.

Also would push any draft compensation to 2022 and beyond, so maybe we could offer up our 2nd this year for Lattimore?

Matt Ryan is best option, IMO. 

I can't help but think if the Matt Ryan talks are true, Ballard is definitely weighing his options right now. If he can land a vet QB for a couple seasons, great, if not I'm wondering if he attempts to move in the draft to get one. I'd probably kick the tires on Ryan though if the end goal is only 2 seasons.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:55 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Just what makes you think Eason would be an unprepared if he does end up being the starter? 

Look. I don't have the answers anymore than anyone else but assuming things that are yet to be determined is not the answer. 

Well the fact that they went after Stafford and now Wentz. That leads me to believe the Colts have little faith in Eason'a ability to start for the Colts at this time in his career.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The Falcons would not trade with the Colts. They would not slide all the way back to #21.

The Falcons made a reverse trade like that in 2011.   If the compensation is enough,   teams will do it.    I don't see Ballard trying to trade up that far though

Archived