Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A lot of talk in Jax about the Colts talking to Atlanta about Ryan

ColtJax

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, w87r said:

No one thinks Eason should be starting. They are saying worst case scenario, roll with. You kill 4 birds with 1 stone.

1. See what Eason has

2. Save money to build better team

3. Save draft capital

4. Chance it works, if not, high draft pick.

It is better than retreading with a guy to maybe get to 8-8 or sacrificing future cap space and draft capital on someone not worth it.

13 hours ago, w87r said:

I agree, Im just saying why people are talking about Eason starting.

It's not that, that it is what they want. Just a why not, worse case scenario.

13 hours ago, w87r said:

We got a guy with a great arm that might not make a lot of bad decisions.

I confess I find myself incredibly stunned at all these posts.    It's as if we haven't been discussing this for the past month or so.    And suddenly here you are saying things that have been asked and addressed countless times by many others,  and all of them are not as good posters as you are.

So, we'll start at the top....

You list four things that might happen if we start Eason.   And they're all good.   But, surprisingly, you don't mention the Elephant in the Room.    That Eason might stink up the joint, and we might have a 4-5 win season.   And Eason's growth might get seriously screwed up.   We might not see the Jacob Eason we all hope to see someday.   Few QB's are Peyton who went 3-13 as a rookie, and turned around and went 13-3 in his 2nd year.    That's the exception to the rule.

I think there are plenty of members here in the....   "Let's see what Eason has" camp.   Far more than you acknowledge, and many (most?) don't seem to realize that there's a good chance the poop could hit the fan.   They just know they're curious about JE and they want that itch scratched...    and if it doesn't work out,  oh well.   They don't care.   They just want to see him play.    But they'll be the ones screaming the loudest during a potential 5-11 season.

A great guy, who might not make bad decisions?     Why would you think that?    Why would anyone think that?    I think it's far more likely the opposite will be true.     That we have a guy with a great arm, who makes nothing but bad decisions.   The reason I say that is that was part of his reputation coming out of Washington.    Makes bad decisions under pressure.   If he had it two years ago,  then nothing changed after last year.   But you're ready to play him.

I find all of this as strange as can be.    You write as if Ballard never said he's not sure if Eason is ready to be the backup.   But he has....    and it was only about a month ago.    And you know it.    But that's not apparent in your posts here.  Head scratching to me.    And that's a high compliment from me to you.   It is.   Because I think of you as a top poster....  a thought leader here....     and yet...    these posts didn't reflect that in my view.    So, I thought I'd put this out there and see how you'd respond?

I'm here....   the President of your Fan Club!    Just a little more confused.....      :peek:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You list four things that might happen if we start Eason.   And they're all good.   But, surprisingly, you don't mention the Elephant in the Room.    That Eason might stink up the joint, and we might have a 4-5 win season.   And Eason's growth might get seriously screwed up.   We might not see the Jacob Eason we all hope to see someday.   Few QB's are Peyton who went 3-13 as a rookie, and turned around and went 13-3 in his 2nd year.    That's the exception to the rule.

I did address this.

#4 I said "chance it works, if not, high draft pick"

I think there are plenty of members here in the....   "Let's see what Eason has" camp.   Far more than you acknowledge, and many (most?) don't seem to realize that there's a good chance the poop could hit the fan.   They just know they're curious about JE and they want that itch scratched...    and if it doesn't work out,  oh well.   They don't care.   They just want to see him play.    But they'll be the ones screaming the loudest during a potential 5-11 season.

I know there are plenty of members that have posted this, but again like I said in you 3 piece quote. That isn't what they want, but if presented with that as last option or having to sacrifice large draft capital and jeopardize the future of the team, they would be fine with Eason. 

A great guy, who might not make bad decisions?     Why would you think that?    Why would anyone think that?    I think it's far more likely the opposite will be true.     That we have a guy with a great arm, who makes nothing but bad decisions.   The reason I say that is that was part of his reputation coming out of Washington.    Makes bad decisions under pressure.   If he had it two years ago,  then nothing changed after last year.   But you're ready to play him.

Well I didn't say he was a great guy, get that out of the way. It was a response to a Jameis Winston question. Which described him as great arm who makes bad decisions.

So, I respond with we have a guy with great arm that might not make bad decisions and that is what you take from it? Cool.

The point was Winston has proven in the NFL to make horrible decisions. All QB's do but fact is Eason has just as good an arm and might not make as many as Winston.(unknown)

Keep Winston as far from the Colts as possible, is my stance.

I find all of this as strange as can be.    You write as if Ballard never said he's not sure if Eason is ready to be the backup.   But he has....    and it was only about a month ago.    And you know it.    But that's not apparent in your posts here.  Head scratching to me.    And that's a high compliment from me to you.   It is.   Because I think of you as a top poster....  a thought leader here....     and yet...    these posts didn't reflect that in my view.    So, I thought I'd put this out there and see how you'd respond?

I'm here....   the President of your Fan Club!    Just a little more confused.....      :peek:

I really don't care what Ballard said about him, he wasn't commiting to anything in that presser, including Rivers returning. The Colts have said Eason has done everything asked and due to unfortunate circumstances a proper evaluation hasn't been able ti be made.

To the bolded:

Thanks I guess? Sorry to disappoint you buddy. Trust me this post from you though, is just as disappointing to me.

And to clarify, I don't want Eason to start. I do want his evaluation to be proper before we just move on though.

And if my only options were (2) 1st + for Wentz or just rolling with Eason. I'd roll with Eason. Again, sorry if that takes your thoughts of me being a leader away.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Nope, it is not out of the realm of possibility at all, we may have to sweeten it with another 3rd or 4th rounder but I am not to far off at all. For your reference, here is a trade value chart:

https://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

Values discussed here: Pick No.27 - 680, Pick No.21 - 800, Pick No.10 - 1300, Pick No.4 - 1800

Bills vs Chiefs 2017 trade - going from Pick No.27 to No.10 (jump of 620 points) - 2 first rounders (Pick No.27, future first rounder and 2017 3rd rounder)

Colts vs Falcons 2021 trade - going from Pick No.21 to No.4 (jump of 1000 points) - 2 first rounders (Pick No.21, future first rounder and 2021 2nd rounder).

While it might take an additional 3rd or 4th rounder to get the trade done in reality, it is not SO far off to justify your condescending uninformed opinion for them to despise the 317 area code. 

Sorry you were offended but your trade offer ain’t nearly enough. 

1) Stop using the draft value chart as such a crutch.  It is merely a small guide, frame of reference type thing any more. I think it has become largely obsolete with teams. Maybe obsolete is the wrong word but certainly less valued with rookie wage scale, the 5th year option and new GMs who appear to be willing to do what it takes to select their guy. 

2) You kind of prove my point with the inmost immediate addition of an extra 3rd or 4th to your proposed trade. 

3) The game is centered around players who impact the game. Going into every draft there are likely 10 or less players with blue chip grades on them. A team that would give up a chance to take a blue chipper and get back pick # 21 and a likely 2022 pick in the 20s as well will need much higher compensation to make the trade. 

4) I don’t see the examples you cite as relevant because trading to get to 10 is much different than getting to 4. They are like the draft value chart - nice reference points but not the gospel. 

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Sorry you were offended but your trade offer ain’t nearly enough. 

1) Stop using the draft value chart as such a crutch.  It is merely a small guide, frame of reference type thing any more. I think it has become largely obsolete with teams. Maybe obsolete is the wrong word but certainly less valued with rookie wage scale, the 5th year option and new GMs who appear to be willing to do what it takes to select their guy. 

2) You kind of prove my point with the inmost immediate addition of an extra 3rd or 4th to your proposed trade. 

3) The game is centered around players who impact the game. Going into every draft there are likely 10 or less players with blue chip grades on them. A team that would give up a chance to take a blue chipper and get back pick # 21 and a likely 2022 pick in the 20s as well will need much higher compensation to make the trade. 

4) I don’t see the examples you cite as relevant because trading to get to 10 is much different than getting to 4. They are like the draft value chart - nice reference points but not the gospel. 

The fact that I used the extra 3rd or 4th proves your 4th point that I did not think the trade value chart was the gospel. The fact that it was not as outlandish as you suggested it was, when it was at worst a pick away, was the true point here. Your statement about them not taking a call from us based on this was the exaggeration here and you know it.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Matty Ice don't play defense. 

Just saying. 

Yep. Brady was up 31-9 vs Mahomes, no one saw a comeback happening. Peyton Manning won so many games with a lead with us letting Freeney and Mathis pin their ears and rush. 

The 2 bad things Matt Ryan did do was the fumble on a blitz from Hightower, and then taking a sack while in FG range. That last series however was on Kyle Shanahan, the OC then, that kept calling passes while a couple of safe runs would have done it.

19 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Taking that sack was reprehensible 

They should've just ran the ball if we really wanted to re-hash it, milk the clock and kick the FG. Game over at that point. I am not sure how much power Matt Ryan had in 2016 to change plays but my guess is the coaches called a pass play and he went with it and got sacked. Pats and Brady beat a lot of great QB's, it took Peyton 3 years before he could figure them out.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That is my exact position in this entire QB carousel discussion.

You can count me in that group as well. I'd prefer to keep the 21, and look the free agent route. Hopefully someone will bet on themselves short term behind a top 5 line, with a top 10 D and a solid ground game. Other qb's and agents have seen what Rivers did on one foot with Frank. I know the group in general is not awe inspiring, but there can be some mobility and accuracy in there with good blocking and competent play calling. I mean, does anyone see the Colts winning a Super Bowl with Carson wentz? I'm good with whatever CB does, because that guy is awe inspiring.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The fact that I used the extra 3rd or 4th proves your 4th point that I did not think the trade value chart was the gospel. The fact that it was not as outlandish as you suggested it was, when it was at worst a pick away, was the true point here. Your statement about them not taking a call from us based on this was the exaggeration here and you know it.

Get back to me when this fantasy happens and we can in fact see if your estimate was at worst a pick away.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I mean you give your D a 28-3 lead, that should be a win everytime. Only freakin Brady lol.

It would be one thing if it happened occasionally for the Falcons under Dan Quinn but as you know, it happened far more than once (during that season and subsequent seasons) where their young but talented D did not know how to keep a lead. That is when you know it was the coaching, IMO.

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah that true but I am not going to be negative on a QB for making a couple of bad plays. 

All QBs have a bad play or more in their careers. 

me neither. I've been supportive of taking ryan.  Expecially over trubisky.  To me Ryan is the perfect bridge qb.  gives us a few years to find someone to groom 

Ryan, if the deal is right (And they want to start their rumored rebuild with his trade), would be a great option.

The big question: How do you get fair trade value for the cap that you would be eating? He has been a consistent top

player that is ready to play day one. He doesn't need fixed.

The cap sort of strangles this deal

At his best, with Ryan we can compete with KC for AFC title... Day one

Wentz, if the deal is right, would be a good option. 

The big questions: Do you get 2017 Wentz or 2020 Wentz? Are the mechanics that are a main culprit, able to be fixed?

He needs some fixing,

At his best, with Wentz, we can compete with KC for AFC title

Winston (if his head is on right), would also be a good option

The big question: Can you maintain the 30 TDs and 5100 Yards, and groom HALF of the 30 Ints away?

You cant throw for 5100 yards and 30 TDs without great talent.... Its there

According to Sean Payton.... Has been a "Tremendous Leader" on the Saints. He has been soaking up the QB position from Brees and Payton while he "rode the pine"

If he can be reeled in where he has a reliable rushing attack, a limited playbook, and not forced to play hero ball....

we might be able to use the talents that he has

He will be cheaper and not cost valuable draft picks.

At his best, we MIGHT be able to compete with KC for AFC title

Another option is the draft

Going up and getting your QB, in this draft, might be harder than normal

People say.... "Lets just move up"

There are at least 11 teams that are considering a QB in this draft,  almost all have significantly better draft

capitol than the Colts.

Unless we are willing to overpay, and surrender a huge package of picks and probably current excellent Colt players, we will have difficulty getting from pick 21 to pick 5 to get a shot at 1 of the top 4.

We have a good team. We will probably have a good team next year. Our 1st round pick this year and in the future have a less perceived value than a first round pick from the chronic bottom dwellers 

I can see Jacksonville,  Atlanta, Denver, and Carolina using their picks to deplete the top 4 QB picks in the draft.

if the Eagle trade Wentz to the Bears, The Eagles will PROBABLY use that pick toward any of the QBs that haven't gone

I can envision the 49ers, Redskins, and Patriots, each taking a hard look at Mac Jones.

By 15..... all the top rated 5 rated QBs will PROBABLY all be gone. There are just to many people that have a hole at QB

Unless we get lucky and someone slides, we will probably not get a decent QB from this draft. Not at 21.

That takes me back to the top of the list

Wentz, Ryan, and Winston

I like all three. They each have advantages, they each have disadvantages. Ryan may not even be an option for multiple reasons.

If Ryan isnt available,  I see that we might be Taking a chance on Wentz,  or taking a chance on Winston 

The one thing I like about the Winston choice is, it allows you to let Eason compete for the starting role, this year.

Who knows if Eason can cut it... I dont. I would like him to get a chance to compete... Maybe he beats out Winston.

Then Winston is backup.

Maybe we should also look at Trubiski......  He is younger and inexpensive.  But.....  he has never put up the numbers that Wentz and Ryan has.  Maybe its a personal thing..... 

Indy has a good rushing attack, Indy has a good OL, Indy has a good defense....  All we need is a QB

Chicago has a good rushing attack, their OL needs some work, They have a great defense..... Chicago just needs a QB

I will reiterate, VERY similar scenarios between the Colts and Chicago.......  If Trubiski isnt the answer in one place, with very similar status and needs..... I would wonder how he would fit us.....

I am also not as high on Darnold as others are. 

He went backwards a bit last year.  Is he worth a 1st?  I dont think so. 2nd...... meh

3rd? maybe.......  

21 hours ago, w87r said:

We got a guy with a great arm that might not make a lot of bad decisions.

The Colts just need to design their offense so Eason doesn't have to make quick decisions under pressure, doesn't have to throw passes with touch on them, but can just gun it full speed, and has receivers clearly open downfield so they aren't hard to find and it's okay if the pass isn't quite on target. As long as they can that, he's been ready since the day he was drafted. 

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The Colts just need to design their offense so Eason doesn't have to make quick decisions under pressure, doesn't have to throw passes with touch on them, but can just gun it full speed, and has receivers clearly open downfield so they aren't hard to find and it's okay if the pass isn't quite on target. As long as they can that, he's been ready since the day he was drafted. 

Pretty much.  If you watch his highlights and the downfield throws, everything is great.  If you watch full games, not so much.

That's not to say Frank couldn't turn him into something, and Eason was certainly worth a 4th rounder, but barring injury I see no way he starts in 2021.

11 hours ago, w87r said:

I did address this.

#4 I said "chance it works, if not, high draft pick"

I know there are plenty of members that have posted this, but again like I said in you 3 piece quote. That isn't what they want, but if presented with that as last option or having to sacrifice large draft capital and jeopardize the future of the team, they would be fine with Eason. 

Well I didn't say he was a great guy, get that out of the way. It was a response to a Jameis Winston question. Which described him as great arm who makes bad decisions.

So, I respond with we have a guy with great arm that might not make bad decisions and that is what you take from it? Cool.

The point was Winston has proven in the NFL to make horrible decisions. All QB's do but fact is Eason has just as good an arm and might not make as many as Winston.(unknown)

Keep Winston as far from the Colts as possible, is my stance.

I really don't care what Ballard said about him, he wasn't commiting to anything in that presser, including Rivers returning. The Colts have said Eason has done everything asked and due to unfortunate circumstances a proper evaluation hasn't been able ti be made.

To the bolded:

Thanks I guess? Sorry to disappoint you buddy. Trust me this post from you though, is just as disappointing to me.

And to clarify, I don't want Eason to start. I do want his evaluation to be proper before we just move on though.

And if my only options were (2) 1st + for Wentz or just rolling with Eason. I'd roll with Eason. Again, sorry if that takes your thoughts of me being a leader away.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Eason is no one's ideal option, but there are no ideal options available for the Colts right now. Eason is cheap, an unknown -- meaning he could be good or bad -- even if he is more likely to be egregiously bad than good, he can then net the Colts a high draft pick if bad. The other guys are mediocre -- which will likely keep the Colts in QB purgatory -- and expensive, either requiring draft assets and/or a large cap hit. 

I think as of right now Eason is the best option. Wish they would have punted on the year in 2019. A punt is probably necessary, why not now?

So... outcomes of starting Eason:

Scenario 1: He sucks = nice draft pick

Scenario 2: He plays great = We have our QB for the future.

Sccenario 3: He plays mediocre, just like the other expensive QB's would have, but you didn't have to pay anything for the mediocre play. 

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Eason is no one's ideal option, but there are no ideal options available for the Colts right now. Eason is cheap, an unknown -- meaning he could be good or bad -- even if he is more likely to be egregiously bad than good, he can then net the Colts a high draft pick if bad. The other guys are mediocre -- which will likely keep the Colts in QB purgatory -- and expensive, either requiring draft assets and/or a large cap hit. 

I think as of right now Eason is the best option. Wish they would have punted on the year in 2019. A punt is probably necessary, why not now?

Sccenario 3: He plays mediocre, just like the other expensive QB's would have, but you didn't have to pay anything for the mediocre play. 

The chances of Scenario 3 are pretty high, especially early in his NFL career.  Here's a few downside tidbits:

Arm Overcompensation: Often times, Eason has over the top confidence in his arm, which results in getting him into trouble because he completely ignores the lower body portion of the throwing process. When doing this, his base/feet are erratic, which ends up in an inconsistent hit/miss rate with his throws. Most passes are fastballs even when targets are short distances away from the launch point. Understanding and having the awareness of when to tone down ball speeds will be needed. Everything is primarily a fastball at 100-mph.

Sacrificial Mechanics: Uberly strong arm leads to a lot of lower body repercussions. He has more than enough “oomph” on passes to get them to intended targets based solely off of his arm and core strength. As a result, there will be plenty of unorthodox body positions prior to passes being thrown. To avoid incoming hits, there will be glimpses of falling away, poor footwork, and bad decision-making. When throwing to the left side, he often falls completely off of his throwing platform.

Seeing the Entire Picture: Poor eye discipline leads to putting intended targets into disadvantageous situations. Locking onto a single target in hopes of them coming open is a constant problem and leaves him oblivious to underneath threats. Speed through progressions and simply knowing when to proceed to the next option are areas that will need to be coached into him. 

Courtesy: The Draft Network

6 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

The chances of Scenario 3 are pretty high, especially early in his NFL career.  Here's a few downside tidbits:

Arm Overcompensation: Often times, Eason has over the top confidence in his arm, which results in getting him into trouble because he completely ignores the lower body portion of the throwing process. When doing this, his base/feet are erratic, which ends up in an inconsistent hit/miss rate with his throws. Most passes are fastballs even when targets are short distances away from the launch point. Understanding and having the awareness of when to tone down ball speeds will be needed. Everything is primarily a fastball at 100-mph.

Sacrificial Mechanics: Uberly strong arm leads to a lot of lower body repercussions. He has more than enough “oomph” on passes to get them to intended targets based solely off of his arm and core strength. As a result, there will be plenty of unorthodox body positions prior to passes being thrown. To avoid incoming hits, there will be glimpses of falling away, poor footwork, and bad decision-making. When throwing to the left side, he often falls completely off of his throwing platform.

Seeing the Entire Picture: Poor eye discipline leads to putting intended targets into disadvantageous situations. Locking onto a single target in hopes of them coming open is a constant problem and leaves him oblivious to underneath threats. Speed through progressions and simply knowing when to proceed to the next option are areas that will need to be coached into him. 

Courtesy: The Draft Network

Well, if scenario 3 plays out, at least he cost us nothing. 

I'm not a big fan of Ryan.  I don't think he's competitive enough.  But in the Colts' offense I can't imagine him not looking like a top ten guy.  It's that favorable for whoever ends up with the job.

And if Ballard gives up a couple high picks then I'd ask him why he didn't do that with Stafford who is a better QB.  So I expect his price range will be conservative.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:10 AM, jskinnz said:

3) The game is centered around players who impact the game. Going into every draft there are likely 10 or less players with blue chip grades

I agree with most of what you said .... Aside from this.  You are staying opinion as if it were fact here..... Without even beginning to define "blue chip" there are generally way more consensus "top prospects" than ten a year.... Even if you ONLY count the absolute top rated stud at each position, there is twice your estimate any given year..... And sure, some positions in a year may be too weak to have a stud, but just as many, if not more, will arbitrarily have multiple top prospects.... 

Long story short, point three seems irrelevant, if not inconsequential to the argument at hand.... 

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

I agree with most of what you said .... Aside from this.  You are staying opinion as if it were fact here..... Without even beginning to define "blue chip" there are generally way more consensus "top prospects" than ten a year.... Even if you ONLY count the absolute top rated stud at each position, there is twice your estimate any given year..... And sure, some positions in a year may be too weak to have a stud, but just as many, if not more, will arbitrarily have multiple top prospects.... 

Long story short, point three seems irrelevant, if not inconsequential to the argument at hand.... 

I only counting the absolute highest rated player in a draft.  Hence the term Blue Chippers.  The Maik Hooker draft, Venturi had him as 1 of only 7 "Blue Chippers" and the fact they got him at 15 was a steal.  Ballard talked about the Nelson draft that there were 7 or 8 Blue Chippers so when they moved back to 6 they knew they would get one of them.

A quick google search found one site that had 13 rated Blue Chippers in last year's draft.  Just a few recent examples but there are more.  Other raters and teams may have more and some less but 10 is a reasonable ball park for the best of the best in any given draft.

The point is not irrelevant at all.  No way a team gives up a chance at blue chip player with such low compensation in return.  

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I only counting the absolute highest rated player in a draft.  Hence the term Blue Chippers.  The Maik Hooker draft, Venturi had him as 1 of only 7 "Blue Chippers" and the fact they got him at 15 was a steal.  Ballard talked about the Nelson draft that there were 7 or 8 Blue Chippers so when they moved back to 6 they knew they would get one of them.

A quick google search found one site that had 13 rated Blue Chippers in last year's draft.  Just a few recent examples but there are more.  Other raters and teams may have more and some less but 10 is a reasonable ball park for the best of the best in any given draft.

The point is not irrelevant at all.  No way a team gives up a chance at blue chip player with such low compensation in return.  

We can agree to disagree, I feel draft picks are largely overvalued.... Outside of the cost control features of highly talented guys when you hit on the pick....

get the big time QB now,today.  Colt's have been building a team? ever since our last SB win. Hasn't worked out so good,so far. Us fans want to win now,not 5 years from now. Hell a lot of us Colt fans,as myself don't have a lot time left on this planet,still waiting. Colts fan for 58 years and other than 2 SB's 68 years old now and still waiting. Esp. sad during the 13 years or whatever with P.Manning and only one ring with all his talent. 

On 2/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, Tsarquise said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Scenario 4: He sucks but the rest of the team is still good enough to be an almost .500 team and not get a particularly nice draft pick. A wasted year that doesn't accomplish anything or fix the quarterback situation. 

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Scenario 4: He sucks but the rest of the team is still good enough to be an almost .500 team and not get a particularly nice draft pick. A wasted year that doesn't accomplish anything or fix the quarterback situation. 

Same outcome for scenario three, but the mediocrity is for a different reason. Like I said, at least he was cheap and we did not give up picks or take on a huge contract. And we would find out about Eason's ability. 

18 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Same outcome for scenario three, but the mediocrity is for a different reason. Like I said, at least he was cheap and we did not give up picks or take on a huge contract. And we would find out about Eason's ability. 

How do you see that season unfolding for Ballard, Reich and Eason -- where they have an otherwise talented team, but the quarterback chosen to be the starter, Eason, clearly isn't ready and perhaps even loses his job during the season, and they head into the following off-season with same unsolved quarterback questions they have now? That's going to be a plus for Ballard and Reich in their careers and their efforts to move the Colts' forward? 

The Colts' team has some holes to fill, but it's still too good to tank next season to find out what they have in a fourth-round drafted quarterback. With the improving defense they have, the strong offensive line and some young talent at offensive skill positions, it would make the Colts' management and coaches look like incompetent fools to finish sub-.500 because they didn't know if Eason would be good or not, so they thought they should play him and find out. 

On 2/11/2021 at 11:03 AM, w87r said:

No one thinks Eason should be starting. They are saying worst case scenario, roll with. You kill 4 birds with 1 stone.

1. See what Eason has

2. Save money to build better team

3. Save draft capital

4. Chance it works, if not, high draft pick.

It is better than retreading with a guy to maybe get to 8-8 or sacrificing future cap space and draft capital on someone not worth it.

You left out...

5. suffer a 3-4 win season and lose fan base. 

Do any of you really think it would be OK with Irsay to just give it a try with Eason and if it doesn't wrk out we have a higher draft pick???????

Do you think it is OK with Ballard? Reich? The players on the team?    Seriously?

For those clammering for Eason.   You haven't seen him in action, practice, film room etc.  BUT Ballard and Reich have.  Players have, Irsay has.   

Ssome of you need to stop thinking you're smarter than the people that get paid to make these decisions.  There is a reason they have these jobs and have been very successful.   

But hey some of you are just a keyboard away from a very lucrative front office job.

Trust the people who make these decisions.   They know more than ANY of us. ANY of us!!! ALL OF US COMBINED!!!!  

17 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Do any of you really think it would be OK with Irsay to just give it a try with Eason and if it doesn't wrk out we have a higher draft pick???????

Do you think it is OK with Ballard? Reich? The players on the team?    Seriously?

For those clammering for Eason.   You haven't seen him in action, practice, film room etc.  BUT Ballard and Reich have.  Players have, Irsay has.   

Ssome of you need to stop thinking you're smarter than the people that get paid to make these decisions.  There is a reason they have these jobs and have been very successful.   

But hey some of you are just a keyboard away from a very lucrative front office job.

Trust the people who make these decisions.   They know more than ANY of us. ANY of us!!! ALL OF US COMBINED!!!!  

Believe it or not there are people that do. We have been the 2nd best franchise since the 2000's began overall wins wise with a SB win (only behind the Pats). I personally don't want to start Eason and I don't want Wentz, Trubisky, or Darnold. Those QB's would be a step back from Rivers. I want Ryan, Carr, or even Watson. I understand Watson is a long shot but I am just listing the 3 QB's that can get us to the playoffs and do some damage. If some want the first 4 I listed then they may be ok with medicore or even a bad season. None of those 4 will be better than Rivers, Rivers had a good year. JMO's. 

I don't know more than Ballard as I told @NewColtsFan so whoever Ballard trades for I will roll with it but I am just giving my opinions and thoughts.

32 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

You left out...

5. suffer a 3-4 win season and lose fan base. 

This

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

True fan basses stick with their teams. We as Colt fans have endured much worse situations than this upcoming season. 

Just now, Four2itus said:

I get that...it was just that the list I quoted had no downside.....and there is one. 

#4 was the partial downside.

If it doesn't work then we get a high draft pick

But even in the downside, there is still an upside.

If a fan base leaves for 1 transition season then, who wants them as fans anyway. Those are not very good fans.

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

True fan basses stick with their teams. We as Colt fans have endured much worse situations than this upcoming season. 

I would still be a fan if we went 0-16 but we have a good team in reality and just need a good QB. It would be ashame to waste a year of Leonard's and Nelson's, even JT's career because our QB stinks.

Archived