Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A lot of talk in Jax about the Colts talking to Atlanta about Ryan

ColtJax

According to sports radio here in Jacksonville, who claims to have a "great" inside source. The Colts have started talking to Atlanta to find out what it would cost to pry Ryan away from Atlanta. The idea is that Atlanta is going to draft a QB day 1 so the re-build can start this year. If he doesn't cost multiple 1st round picks I'd like it. He's 34 and can still play at a high level for another 4-5 years, which is our window..

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Ryan, but the cap hit is a problem for me. I think its $40m. Also in 2022 and 2023, he has cap hits of $41m and $36m according to Spotrac. So to acquire him we would need to give up probably a 1st round pick as well as taking away our ability to sign in a good free agent or two. He would fix the QB spot, but severely restrict us in filling in holes at LT, DE, CB, WR, via FA or draft.

He is also nearly 36. Pass I'm afraid.

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

I like Ryan, but the cap hit is a problem for me. I think its $40m. Also in 2022 and 2023, he has cap hits of $41m and $36m according to Spotrac. So to acquire him we would need to give up probably a 1st round pick as well as taking away our ability to sign in a good free agent or two. He would fix the QB spot, but severely restrict us in filling in holes at LT, DE, CB, WR, via FA or draft.

He is also nearly 36. Pass I'm afraid.

His cap hits are nothing like that for team he is traded to.

It's:

2021 - $23m

2022 - $23.75m

2023 - $28m

Always fun to have new topics.

Ryan’s great, and would look in our system would allow more time for Eason to potentially grow.

I think they’d have to renegotiate Ryan’s current deal maybe spread it out over 5 years.

Our front office has been really good at distributing cap hits and all that jazz.

honestly I’m just pumped to have football news, regardless to how substantial it is.

cheers brother!

Go Colts.

Also a side note let’s say Matt plays at say Rivers level for three years and we give up say a first and a fourth next year!

I’d be good with that! Ballard has a solid football philosophy, drafts well and has built a solid crew!

1st are over rated if your picking late in the draft. As longs we don’t give up a handful of picks I’m good!

57 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

According to sports radio here in Jacksonville, who claims to have a "great" inside source. The Colts have started talking to Atlanta to find out what it would cost to pry Ryan away from Atlanta. The idea is that Atlanta is going to draft a QB day 1 so the re-build can start this year. If he doesn't cost multiple 1st round picks I'd like it. He's 34 and can still play at a high level for another 4-5 years, which is our window..

and uh how would the jags of all people know what the colts are doing lol 

Ballard is just doing his research.   We have to find out how serious Atlanta’s desire is to draft a QB?  Do we have to get in front of them to get one?  Would they be willing to trade up higher from 4th to get him?  Would they be willing to trade back out of the 4th pick?  We also get to find out if Ryan is actually available or not and how much he’d cost?  With the Falcons being an NFC team, Ballard may be more willing to send one of our top rated players (like Hines) to them. 

I think Ryan is 36, not 34.  He's been healthy his whole career, and looks to have two good years left, but he would be a bridge to either Eason or someone else drafted soon.  He should not be considered in a 4 year plan.

The cap hit to us would be a fair compensation given his talent.  The 28M last year would have to be worked around, IMO.

The main hang up has always been the cap problem for ATL, and what they'd want back in their rebuild.

Yes, they will be drafting a QB at 4.  I could see them even trading up with the Jets to get the exact guy they want. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Ryan is 36, not 34.  He's been healthy his whole career, and looks to have two good years left, but he would be a bridge to either Eason or someone else drafted soon.  He should not be considered in a 4 year plan.

The cap hit to us would be a fair compensation given his talent.  The 28M last year would have to be worked around, IMO.

The main hang up has always been the cap problem for ATL, and what they'd want back in their rebuild.

Yes, they will be drafting a QB at 4.  I could see them even trading up with the Jets to get the exact guy they want. 

Yep, he's like Rivers as in he never misses a game. We can trade for him and focus on getting a LT, the rest of our O.Line is solid and would protect him. Our running game would help Ryan out as well. 

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

No more bridge QBs please. This is the year to get our long term solution.

I don't consider Ryan a bridge QB, he can play 3 more years (Rivers was 39 and just wanted play 1 year with us) and he has been a franchise QB his whole career. A bridge QB would be Wentz, Darnold, or Trubisky or even Fitzpatrick for example. 

According to the bio they read, he'll turn 35 before the start of the season. With his cap hit he'd actually cost less than Rivers got. I'd gladly give up a 1st and 3rd for a guy to play at a high level for the next 3-4 years and maybe get us over the top. Think about the 1st round picks we've had that gave us nothing. BTW, the Jags radio people are the play by play people for the Jags season, they have sources like everyone else in the industry.. I, for one, hope it's true. Much better than the Eagles cast off or Jimmy G's check down game..

It makes sense. If we do give up the 2021 1st rounder, 2022 1st rounder and a 2022 2nd rounder to get a rookie QB at No.4, it makes sense to do so while moving to No.4 UNLESS a player is involved.

If a player or two are involved, that would allow us to move from No.21 to No.4 as well with just a 1st and future 2nd.

My contention is, we are talking with the Falcons for moving up the draft, NOT for Matt Ryan.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Its lower than Wentz with less guaranteed as well.

...and for a better quarterback.

Thing is: the Falcons would have more cause to demand more in a trade than the Eagles do.  The Eagles are obviously overvaluing Wentz, who ended his season on the sidelines.  But Ryan would command more trade capital.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Stop with the bandaid veteran QBs. Especially when talking about trading for one. Not a wise solution IMO. We need a more longterm solution. 

Nobody disagrees with that.  But it’s way easier said than done.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

...and for a better quarterback.

Thing is: the Falcons would have more cause to demand more in a trade than the Eagles do.  The Eagles are obviously overvaluing Wentz, who ended his season on the sidelines.  But Ryan would command more trade capital.

I would rather move up the draft for their No.4 pick with 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

Again, this to me, and I preface to me... this is stupid

If Matt Ryan could not win in Atlanta (Consistently) with the skill talent he has there, then why would anyone believe he could win here with less?

It makes NO sense... Julio and Ridley = Pittman and Pascal? :lol:..... Yeah..... NO

Of the QB names (still under contract) that have been thrown out there for trade this off-season, I wouldn't give up our 1st rounder for any of them - and I don't include Watson in this statement because that trade will never happen anyway.

Ryan would still be a stopgap and I'd like to think Ballard would not trade off the future for stopgap players. 

Just now, chad72 said:

I would rather move up the draft for their No.4 pick with 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

I am good with either, I just want to win. Wentz, Darnold, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick, Dalton's of the world would get us nowwhere. @BProland85Ryan is definitely more than bandaid, he can play 3 or 4 more years. Dude is 100% healthy. If we could get the #4 pick than that is great too.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That would depend on the level of confidence they have in a QB we could get at 4.

The nice thing about a vet is that it’s far less of a crapshoot than any drafted QB.  Blake Bortles was taken 3rd.  Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Mitch Trubisky.  The list of bust QBs taken high in the draft is very long.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

If Matt Ryan could not win in Atlanta (Consistently) with the skill talent he has there, then why would anyone believe he could win here with less?

It makes NO sense... Julio and Ridley = Pittman and Pascal? :lol:..... Yeah..... NO

Ryan has had many winning seasons in Atlanta and has put up huge numbers. He was a hair away from winning the SB in 2016.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

But still miss out on your QB since other teams will trade up to take Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson 1,2,3.   It will certainly have to be a draft day trade and not before draft day, like the Jets did with us.

16 minutes ago, w87r said:

Atlanta is not coming off the #4 pick.

Can just about guarantee that.

You know they are going to ask for 2 1st rounders for Matt Ryan, right? If we are ponying that up, why not do that for a rookie QB we can have for several years?

I am just afraid we might have buyer's remorse if Matt Ryan gives us just 1 good year. Rivers was a free agent, we did not have to give up draft capital. That is the reason. Not everyone is Tom Brady.

16 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ryan won when he had a RB, running game.  Who was it, Devonte Fields and that dude from IU.  I got the names wrong but y'all know who I'm talking about.

He's had no running game or defense most of his career.  

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

You know they are going to ask for 2 1st rounders for Matt Ryan, right? If we are ponying that up, why not do that for a rookie QB we can have for several years?

I think they'll ask a kings ransom for the pick.  Kiss the value chart goodbye.

Just now, DougDew said:

I think they'll ask a kings ransom for the pick.  Kiss the value chart goodbye.

They will ask for 2 1st rounders for Matt Ryan anyways. I am not sure if we can get more than 1-2 years from Matt Ryan, that is my issue here. Rams are stockpiled with talent compared to ours, to go a little more ALL IN for now, I don't think we are there.

Just now, chad72 said:

Doubt they will be asking for (2) 1st for Ryan(will be 36yrs old come start of season). This is where I think agreeing to post June 1st trade makes sense. It saves ATL $23m in 2021 cap space and reduces compensation(also pushes it to 2022 and beyond) for Ryan. We will know our QB situation is handled and go about offseason plans accordingly.

And a rookie QB, doesn't mean he is going to be a good QB. Roll of the dice.

Again though, they are not trading the #4 pick.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Doubt they will be asking for (2) 1st for Ryan(will be 36yrs old come start of season). This is where I think agreeing to post June 1st trade makes sense. It saves ATL $23m in 2021 cap space and reduces compensation(also pushes it to 2022 and beyond) for Ryan. We will know our QB situation is handled and go about offseason plans accordingly.

And a rookie QB, doesn't mean he is going to be a good QB. Roll of the dice.

Again though, they are not trading the #4 pick.

Let me make the case. Matt Ryan has been an MVP in the league, had more winning seasons in the league than Stafford and a better career win pct. and they will ask for 2 first rounders stating that if Stafford can get 2 first rounders and a 3rd, we should be able to get 2 first rounders, that is what I anticipate them saying. I agree that one of those first rounders was a wash with Jared Goff's contract, if you exclude that, it is a 1st and a 3rd without Goff in the picture.

1st and a 3rd for Stafford, 2 first rounders at worst for Ryan is what they will settle for, knowing our current first rounder is No.21. If we throw in a young defensive player worth something, they may do a 1st and a 3rd, I can see that.

Archived