Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts OC Marcus Brady talks about the attributes and traits he wants in a QB

stitches

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Not well either, but Jones just looked like a pure pocket passer, tore up my Irish. Kid is gonna be tough. If we draft a qb I would rather get him. 

No offense to the irish but they have been known to tank in the college playoffs, problem with Jones is he is gonna have a rough rookie season. He's used to a clean pocket, a strong run game, and open being no one within 5 yards of his WR, now he will have to learn what NFL open is.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

No offense to the irish but they have been known to tank in the college playoffs, problem with Jones is he is gonna have a rough rookie season. He's used to a clean pocket, a strong run game, and open being no one within 5 yards of his WR, now he will have to learn what NFL open is.

Could say that for any of the top programs, Lawrence, Fields have 5 stars all around them also. Jones is a more viable option where we are picking is all. 

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

All great college pocket qbs have the same learning curve going to the nfl

29 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Could say that for any of the top programs, Lawrence, Fields have 5 stars all around them also. Jones is a more viable option where we are picking is all. 

28 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

All great college pocket qbs have the same learning curve going to the nfl

Yeah but Lawrence and Fields have a lot more tape, multiple seasons worth with high and low games. Jones has very limited tape. 

I don't see Jones as a 1st round pick, and if "For the Colture" is correct from there podcast neither does Ballard

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah but Lawrence and Fields have a lot more tape, multiple seasons worth with high and low games. Jones has very limited tape. 

I don't see Jones as a 1st round pick, and if "For the Colture" is correct from there podcast neither does Ballard

A lot of draft pundits think he goes before 21.

13 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

That's what Ballard wants you to think

smart post GIF

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Kiper has him 12th on his big board.   

Just like last year when there was a huge following for Anthony Gordon, and I was the naysayer to them. This year I just don't see it with Jones, he has to many question marks and not enough tape. Not saying I'll be right but I hope the patriots take him because I think he is a bust

15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

That's what Ballard wants you to think

smart post GIF

Great response haha 

8 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Just like last year when there was a huge following for Anthony Gordon, and I was the naysayer to them. This year I just don't see it with Jones, he has to many question marks and not enough tape. Not saying I'll be right but I hope the patriots take him because I think he is a bust

Great response haha 

I don't recall anyone projecting Gordon before the 5th round last year

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I want to love Fields...I really do. The athleticism is crazy good...and he's fun to watch. 

But then I turn on Wilson tape and he's just passing at a different level. And while Milne has developed into a solid WR...but he's not throwing to a wide open Chris Olave downfield. I can only imagine what Wilson could do with legit NFL talent to throw to.

Wilson's arm talent is damn near elite. And I am not just talking about strength. The quick release and touch are excellent as well. And this is a guy who has had shoulder surgery as well. I don't even care about that. Get this guy in an NFL workout regime and add 20 lbs...he will be even better.

Admittedly I am biased...and I have not been shy about my Zach Wilson love. I will buy season tickets if the Colts get Zach Wilson.

I just don't see the same downfield game with Fields. I think they can both be great QBs...but I would gladly trade a bit of athleticism for the arm talent that Wilson has.

I’m not going to disparage Wilson because I like him a lot.  I think he can be a special player too.  You’ve gotta watch more of the tape though.  I saw many great throws downfield from Wilson. But don’t short change Milne & Romney.  Though they may not be 5* players, they were clearly better than their opposition most weeks.  Clearly.  Also Wilson threw a lot more screens and racked up a lot of yac from both.  Guys were wide open on his 1st read more often than not.  But that’s honestly the case for most successful college offenses most weeks.

As for Olave & Wilson, I think both are good receivers.  Olave is going back to school for his senior season. So he clearly wasn’t projected to be a 1st round pick this year.  And he wasn’t simply open because no one covered him.  He was open because Fields often manipulated the safeties & held them with his eyes.  But I think both Olave & Wilson have a chance of going to the league and becoming good receivers.  Don’t sleep on one of Romney or Milne or both getting shots to make a roster.  They can both ball.

As for downfield throws, Fields accuracy in that department is actually what I believe is going to ultimately set him apart from the rest of this class.  It’s different from Wilson’s deep ball accuracy though. Wilson throws some nice touch type deep balls.  Sometimes they hang up but they give his receiver a chance to go make a play.  Fields too can throw back shoulder and fade type touch throws but I think what he’s mastered that sets him apart from the rest is the ability to pinpoint deep throws from range or even drop deeper passes in the bucket.  

For example, I’ve seen Fields take the snap and drop back to around the 40-50 yard line.  Stand tall in the pocket, look off the safety just long enough, and then without much effort throw a 40-50 yard rope basically 2 yards inside the front pylon hitting a receiver in stride.  Very Andrew Luck like.  I honestly think the kid could drop it in a bucket or hit the pylons from 40-50 yards 4-5 outta 10 times.  Then when you get him in the green zone or red zone he’s getting it up and down over defenders from in the pocket or while rolling out.  The guy’s accuracy and touch is just different.

His 2 year career accuracy (on target passes) numbers rank up there with best ever.  Career 70% passer.  So the “athletic” QB who was the #1 rated dual threat QB is actually one of the most accurate QB’s of all time in NCAA history too.  And the majority of his throws were to wide receivers and tight ends.  Not a big chunk of his throws were to running backs or screen passes (those help boost a QB’s percentage).  You put him on LSU last year or Alabama this year with those receiving corps and he’d have blown up the record books.  Put him on BYU this past season against that competition and his numbers would have been even more ridiculous.

I see a guy in Fields that if put in the right system can consistently win 10-12 games at the NFL level.  Our system would be too perfect.  His threat of running would make Taylor & Hines unstoppable.  Then his ability to work the intermediate and deeper portions of the field off of playaction would put defenses in a bind.  Our dynamic running game with him being a part of it would allow him to play effectively as a rookie.  He’d just have to manage the game and not have to be the hero the first few seasons.  I showed in another post where we were undefeated last year when we ran the ball more than we threw it.  Fields would give us the ability to implement and stick with that gameplan and punish the defenses with deep strikes if/when they load the box.  Defenses would have to pick their poison.  

But our goal would be for him to not throw it more than 30 times a game.  Frank, Brady, & Fields would have us keeping defenses off balance and lighting up the AFC for the next decade.  Lawrence’s nightmare would continue because the rivalry with Fields just wouldn’t go away.  Get it done Ballard.  Irsay says he wants 2 or more titles in a decade.  Fields, Taylor, this OLine & our defense would get us there.  Jimmy G just rode a strong running game and dominant defense to the Super Bowl a couple years ago.  I think we can make the same kind of run within the next 2 years.  Sacrifice the draft capital and get it done Ballard.

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m not going to disparage Wilson because I like him a lot.  I think he can be a special player too.  You’ve gotta watch more of the tape though.  I saw many great throws downfield from Wilson. But don’t short change Milne & Romney.  Though they may not be 5* players, they were clearly better than their opposition most weeks.  Clearly.  Also Wilson threw a lot more screens and racked up a lot of yac from both.  Guys were wide open on his 1st read more often than not.  But that’s honestly the case for most successful college offenses most weeks.

As for Olave & Wilson, I think both are good receivers.  Olave is going back to school for his senior season. So he clearly wasn’t projected to be a 1st round pick this year.  And he wasn’t simply open because no one covered him.  He was open because Fields often manipulated the safeties & held them with his eyes.  But I think both Olave & Wilson have a chance of going to the league and becoming good receivers.  Don’t sleep on one of Romney or Milne or both getting shots to make a roster.  They can both ball.

As for downfield throws, Fields accuracy in that department is actually what I believe is going to ultimately set him apart from the rest of this class.  It’s different from Wilson’s deep ball accuracy though. Wilson throws some nice touch type deep balls.  Sometimes they hang up but they give his receiver a chance to go make a play.  Fields too can throw back shoulder and fade type touch throws but I think what he’s mastered that sets him apart from the rest is the ability to pinpoint deep throws from range or even drop deeper passes in the bucket.  

For example, I’ve seen Fields take the snap and drop back to around the 40-50 yard line.  Stand tall in the pocket, look off the safety just long enough, and then without much effort throw a 40-50 yard rope basically 2 yards inside the front pylon hitting a receiver in stride.  Very Andrew Luck like.  I honestly think the kid could drop it in a bucket or hit the pylons from 40-50 yards 4-5 outta 10 times.  Then when you get him in the green zone or red zone he’s getting it up and down over defenders from in the pocket or while rolling out.  The guy’s accuracy and touch is just different.

His 2 year career accuracy (on target passes) numbers rank up there with best ever.  Career 70% passer.  So the “athletic” QB who was the #1 rated dual threat QB is actually one of the most accurate QB’s of all time in NCAA history too.  And the majority of his throws were to wide receivers and tight ends.  Not a big chunk of his throws were to running backs or screen passes (those help boost a QB’s percentage).  You put him on LSU last year or Alabama this year with those receiving corps and he’d have blown up the record books.  Put him on BYU this past season against that competition and his numbers would have been even more ridiculous.

I see a guy in Fields that if put in the right system can consistently win 10-12 games at the NFL level.  Our system would be too perfect.  His threat of running would make Taylor & Hines unstoppable.  Then his ability to work the intermediate and deeper portions of the field off of playaction would put defenses in a bind.  Our dynamic running game with him being a part of it would allow him to play effectively as a rookie.  He’d just have to manage the game and not have to be the hero the first few seasons.  I showed in another post where we were undefeated last year when we ran the ball more than we threw it.  Fields would give us the ability to implement and stick with that gameplan and punish the defenses with deep strikes if/when they load the box.  Defenses would have to pick their poison.  

But our goal would be for him to not throw it more than 30 times a game.  Frank, Brady, & Fields would have us keeping defenses off balance and lighting up the AFC for the next decade.  Lawrence’s nightmare would continue because the rivalry with Fields just wouldn’t go away.  Get it done Ballard.  Irsay says he wants 2 or more titles in a decade.  Fields, Taylor, this OLine & our defense would get us there.  Jimmy G just rode a strong running game and dominant defense to the Super Bowl a couple years ago.  I think we can make the same kind of run within the next 2 years.  Sacrifice the draft capital and get it done Ballard.

Wilson’s air yards/attempt was ridiculously high...I am guessing a couple yards higher than Fields...but I can’t find the exact numbers.

But I don’t know where you this idea that Wilson was inflating his stats with screen passes came from. He was bombing it downfield all season. 

You really can’t compare the WRs of their respective teams. Olave and Wilson will be 1st or 2nd rounders. Milne is probably an intriguing Day 3 pick. Don’t get me wrong...he can ball...but Olave is certainly more talented.

We will just have to disagree. I like Fields...but I don’t love him like Wilson from a passing standpoint.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Wilson’s air yards/attempt was ridiculously high...I am guessing a couple yards higher than Fields...but I can’t find the exact numbers.

But I don’t know where you this idea that Wilson was inflating his stats with screen passes came from. He was bombing it downfield all season. 

You really can’t compare the WRs of their respective teams. Olave and Wilson will be 1st or 2nd rounders. Milne is probably an intriguing Day 3 pick. Don’t get me wrong...he can ball...but Olave is certainly more talented.

We will just have to disagree. I like Fields...but I don’t love him like Wilson from a passing standpoint.

Yea wilson flashes more on tape

8 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I misspoke. It’s Lawrence who throws a lot of screens and swing passes behind the LOS. Wilson got a lot of YAC from check downs.  He does throw deep with nice touch.  I just wonder how many of those passes get completed against tougher competition?  I really like his game and his upside.  He’s a gunslinger.  Many splash plays against lesser competition. Fields is less splash and more functional execution yet he can still make the off platform side arm throws or throws on the run. 

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You guys do realize that Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson will be taken Picks 1, 2, and 3 come draft day, by what ever teams trade up to 2 and 3.  Its not like these QBs are viable options for the Colts.

You mean these guys are gonna be drafted early?   I bet no one on here even thought of that.   Thanks for clearing that up. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

You mean these guys are gonna be drafted early?   I bet no one on here even thought of that.   Thanks for clearing that up. 

No, not just early.  1,2,3.

Some talk like we should trade up to 4 or 6.  We could, but it wouldn't get us Fields or Wilson. 

Yes, I thought I had to clear that up.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Some talk like we should trade up to 4 or 6.  We could, but it wouldn't get us Fields or Wilson. 

I bet they don't go 1,2,3.  Too many other great players in this draft

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You guys do realize that Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson will be taken Picks 1, 2, and 3 come draft day, by what ever teams trade up to 2 and 3.  Its not like these QBs are viable options for the Colts.

Yah it will be like... 

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. Colts(via Miami via Houston) - Justin Fields

:woah:

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah...4 will go in the first 5 picks I think. Though I could see Lance going at #6-8. 

For the Colts...I think it's #2 or bust. That's the spot where you get your choice...AND it's the NYJ. If the NYJ are going QB...it's a moot point. But if they are going to try to build around Darnold...it's time to cash in on that rapport. Send them some picks and players and get the deal done. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yah it will be like... 

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. Colts(via Miami via Houston) - Justin Fields

:woah:

I think the Colts have a much better chance getting the NYJ to trade with them...than MIA (whose HC is a NE guy). 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think the Colts have a much better chance getting the NYJ to trade with them...than MIA (whose HC is a NE guy). 

Possible. I wonder which one Ballard likes better if he had the choice of them two... Wilson or Fields... or Lance? 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You make it sound so easy. 

Trades are never easy. But as long as that team is willing to listen...then trading up in the draft is no more difficult than trading for a vet QB (which the Colts have been discussing with at least 3 teams that we know of). 

In fact...since the contracts are basically fixed for each draft position...it might even be simpler to negotiate a pre-draft trade up. However...adding players complicates things.

It would be more expensive to do this...but it's the move I would prefer.

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I bet they don't go 1,2,3.  Too many other great players in this draft

I think a lot of teams feel like Fields and Wilson are guys to build around.  And there are a lot of teams who could use franchise QBs that draft ahead of us.  Sewell or DaVonta might sneak in there, but we have no chance at those QBs, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't see the Jest wanting to move from 2 all the way down to 21.  I think they probably want to have a chance at an elite player even if its not a QB.  Too many good players gone by 21.

They might make a stop along the way and we could trade with them when they are sitting at #8 or something.

I could see us trading up to where we need to take Lance, but not the other two.  And I'm not sure that Lance isn't the same QB as Love was last year.  I think Fields and Wilson are much more of a sure thing.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Possible. I wonder which one Ballard likes better if he had the choice of them two... Wilson or Fields... or Lance? 

Well if his user name here is "Smoke317"...I think I know the answer to that question.

But really we are just guessing. The only real clue that Ballard has given us is that he doesn't want to trade up for a lottery ticket...that it has to be more a sure thing. I think that would exclude Lance in this discussion...or at least put him 4th.

So it would really be between Wilson and Fields. Maybe he doesn't have a preference.

There were leaks about Fields. But that could be pure smokescreen as well. Of course smoke screens are irrelevant when you are picking #21...but maybe he will trade up and the seed will have already been planted.

In this fantasy of mine...Ballard gets to #2 but the team who trades up to #3 desperately wants Fields. Knowing Ballard loves Fields as well...that GM is forced to give up couple of draft assets to get Ballard to swap spots with them...and then Ballard gets the guy he always wanted in Wilson.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't see the Jest wanting to move from 2 all the way down to 21.  I think they probably want to have a chance at an elite player even if its not a QB.  Too many good players gone by 21.

They might make a stop along the way and we could trade with them when they are sitting at #8 or something.

I could see us trading up to where we need to take Lance, but not the other two.  And I'm not sure that Lance isn't the same QB as Love was last year.  I think Fields and Wilson are much more of a sure thing.

I would agree about the drop...but there doesn't appear to be a lot of elite players in this draft. You've got Sewell...and then you have the two WRs. Other than that...what other prospect/s in that tier will still be there after the first 7 or so picks? It was a strange season where guys sat out and now there's no Combine. All they have to judge now is Pro Days...which always seem to inflate these players. There are just lots of questions...and few sure things.

So while I am sure the NYJ would love to trade back and still get a guy like Sewell, Smith or Chase...it's not going to happen. Those guys will be gone by pick 7. And if it's a hodgepodge of guys after that...it doesn't really make much difference to the NYJ if they are at #11 vs #21. 

This is the alternate universe I am living it right now.

29 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Well if his user name here is "Smoke317"...I think I know the answer to that question.

But really we are just guessing. The only real clue that Ballard has given us is that he doesn't want to trade up for a lottery ticket...that it has to be more a sure thing. I think that would exclude Lance in this discussion...or at least put him 4th.

So it would really be between Wilson and Fields. Maybe he doesn't have a preference.

There were leaks about Fields. But that could be pure smokescreen as well. Of course smoke screens are irrelevant when you are picking #21...but maybe he will trade up and the seed will have already been planted.

In this fantasy of mine...Ballard gets to #2 but the team who trades up to #3 desperately wants Fields. Knowing Ballard loves Fields as well...that GM is forced to give up couple of draft assets to get Ballard to swap spots with them...and then Ballard gets the guy he always wanted in Wilson.

Now you’ve really got me intrigued. Flip your scenario. So we move up to 2nd.  Everybody is screaming for Wilson so we drop down to 3rd (still ahead of the Falcons) and let another team take Wilson and then we get Fields at pick 3 but probably pick up an extra pick or 2.  That sounds glorious.  Honestly, I think Ballard would be happy with either because I think he knows he can plug in Fields, Wilson, or Lawrence and the QB position would be locked down for the next decade.  Miami at pick 3 would be the best position to trade up to.  From there you assure that you get 1 of the big 3.  And they love to accumulate picks.  Don’t Stop Believing. Dream With Me.  :rock:

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would agree about the drop...but there doesn't appear to be a lot of elite players in this draft. You've got Sewell...and then you have the two WRs. Other than that...what other prospect/s in that tier will still be there after the first 7 or so picks? It was a strange season where guys sat out and now there's no Combine. All they have to judge now is Pro Days...which always seem to inflate these players. There are just lots of questions...and few sure things.

So while I am sure the NYJ would love to trade back and still get a guy like Sewell, Smith or Chase...it's not going to happen. Those guys will be gone by pick 7. And if it's a hodgepodge of guys after that...it doesn't really make much difference to the NYJ if they are at #11 vs #21. 

Jets could swap with ATL at 4, if they don't take Fields.  Or ATL could swap with MIA.  That's easy cheap capital, and then you have Lawrence, Fields, Wilson 1,2,3.

If Jets don't take a QB and Wilson is there, then Carolina, or Denver could get up to 4 from 8 and 9 a lot easier than we could. 

Lance and Jones, with NE and CHI wanting QBs.  And it looks like CHI is willing to trade draft picks for a QB, so they could move up.  And you have Washington there too.

Seems like getting a rookie is going to cost a lot more than normal. 

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Now you’ve really got me intrigued. Flip your scenario. So we move up to 2nd.  Everybody is screaming for Wilson so we drop down to 3rd (still ahead of the Falcons) and let another team take Wilson and then we get Fields at pick 3 but probably pick up an extra pick or 2.  That sounds glorious.  Honestly, I think Ballard would be happy with either because I think he knows he can plug in Fields, Wilson, or Lawrence and the QB position would be locked down for the next decade.  Miami at pick 3 would be the best position to trade up to.  From there you assure that you get 1 of the big 3.  And they love to accumulate picks.  Don’t Stop Believing. Dream With Me.  :rock:

The odds of all 3 of those qbs being great are slim

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think Waddle and Pitts qualify as Elite.  Waddle had better numbers through the first 4-5 games than Smith.  That’s crazy.  Don’t sleep on Surtain or Farley.  They look like 2 sure fire stud corners.  Combine & pro days will sort out their slot positions. Has it been announced that we’re not having a combine?  If so, that could open up the possibility of guys sliding.  Wilson to the Jets makes a lot of sense.  They can really market him there.  Lawrence will help be an ambassador for football when the Jags play in London.  Fields could get lucky and drop enough to where the perfect team (like the Colts or 49ers) move up for him.  He’d be in the best position for early success. 

16 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Great response haha 

I'm swayed by all of the pundits saying that he is a first rounder, so my guess is that he will.

But I wouldn't take him with a first round pick.  I simply think that NFL pocket passers need to be bigger than 6'2.5" and 217#, with a stronger arm than he has.  I'd take Trask before Jones, and I doubt that I would take Trask at 21.

16 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Great response haha 

I agree.   Long time reader of the site just never had much desire to post so I just read the posts.  Sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagreed with posts.    Mostly followed during the off season to get ideas of FA/Draft and or trades.

The "Jones train" is almost as bad as the "Love train" was last yr.   I say almost only because I think Dan has time to make 1000 more posts about Jones and catch Chloe on that Love train.

And I see Jones ending up about the same way as Love.  Sitting the bench 

Archived