Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts OC Marcus Brady talks about the attributes and traits he wants in a QB

stitches

Here's an interiew Kevin Bowen did with new Colts OC Marcus Brady. It's worth listening overall but in light of our QB search I thought the question about what traits in a QB he finds most important was very interesting. Here's the whole interview(starts at about 25:00):

Here's what he said about the traits he is looking for in a QB:

"Arm talent, being able to push the ball down the field.. so armstrength, accuracy. Being able to move around in the pocket. Being able to create extra time in the pocket because defenses nowadays are good so being able to create a bit extra time for the receivers to get open... that's where big plays are made.... You don't necessarily need to be the Lamar Jackson's of the league, but you are going to have to move in the pocket because defenses are good and pass-rushers are so much faster now. So QBs need to be able to buy some time and move and create big plays. I mean Josh Allen made a living this season by buying time and making big plays down the field."

It's interesting that he mentioned Josh Allen as an example of that. 

Every single one of the top 4 QBs in the draft fit that description IMO. Mac Jones and Kyle Trask not so much IMO. Carson Wentz fits those too. Darnold to some degree too... 

• stitches changed the title to New Colts OC Marcus Brady talks about the attributes and traits he wants in a QB
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's an interiew Kevin Bowen did with new Colts OC Marcus Brady. It's worth listening overall but in light of our QB search I thought the question about what traits in a QB he finds most important was very interesting. Here's the whole interview(starts at about 25:00):

"Arm talent, being able to push the ball down the field.. so armstrength, accuracy. Being able to move around in the pocket. Being able to create extra time in the pocket because defenses nowadays are good so being able to create a bit extra time for the receivers to get open... that's where big plays are made.... You don't necessarily need to be the Lamar Jackson's of the league, but you are going to have to move in the pocket because defenses are good and pass-rushers are so much faster now. So QBs need to be able to buy some time and move and create big plays. I mean Josh Allen made a living this season by buying time and making big plays down the field."

Every single one of the top 4 QBs in the draft fit that description IMO. Mac Jones and Kyle Trask not so much IMO. Carson Wentz fits those too. Darnold to some degree too... 

So does Eason!!!!

Lol sorry, had to. Brady pretty much said every trait a QB needs. Arm strength, Accuracy, and Mobility.

1 name I have been liking lately is Mac Jones

Sure, he can’t really run but his pocket presence is solid, he can still avoid rushers. Reminds me of P.Manning IN THE POCKET.

Also Mac has great accuracy and a decent arm. Yeah, his WR’s were open by 20 yards every play but he hit them in stride consistently.

I'm assuming that if Mr. Brady truly believes that we will be looking for Josh Allen type mobility as a major pillar of a suite of attributes (and I'm not sure he's saying that), then my guess is that Mr. Brady was hired as a figurehead that will have little input into the offense but can say the right things.  On his way to a HC job somewhere else soon.

Nothing about how Ballard has constructed the oline....the capital invested...the types of QBs he's signed and drafted (Rivers and Eason) or even how Reich used our previous QB that had better than Josh Allen mobility (Luck) speaks to high mobility being a major pillar.

Maybe we'll change philosophies.  

The stuff about arm strength, pushing the ball down field and buying time by moving around in the pocket makes more sense.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Sounds exactly like Justin Fields.  Arm strength - Check.  We saw the 50 & 60 yard bombs in the semifinal game.  Plus many other deep shots on fades or deep posts.  Accuracy - Check.  Most accurate (on target & catchable) passer from a clean pocket this season.  3rd highest rating when progressing past his first read.  70% career completion percentage.  Mobility - Check.  Despite the accuracy & arm strength he was the number 1 rated dual threat QB in the country.  Made many big chunk plays by either extending the play to throw downfield or tuck and run.  Combine that with Ballard saying he wanted a QB that could battle through the tough times and bounce back.  Fields bounced back from his tough games with big performances or adjusted his game or powered through a bad day to still get the win.  Call your shot Ballard & Brady.  Go get your QB.  :rock:

13 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Sounds exactly like Justin Fields.  Arm strength - Check.  We saw the 50 & 60 yard bombs in the semifinal game.  Plus many other deep shots on fades or deep posts.  Accuracy - Check.  Most accurate (on target & catchable) passer from a clean pocket this season.  3rd highest rating when progressing past his first read.  70% career completion percentage.  Mobility - Check.  Despite the accuracy & arm strength he was the number 1 rated dual threat QB in the country.  Made many big chunk plays by either extending the play to throw downfield or tuck and run.  Combine that with Ballard saying he wanted a QB that could battle through the tough times and bounce back.  Fields bounced back from his tough games with big performances or adjusted his game or powered through a bad day to still get the win.  Call your shot Ballard & Brady.  Go get your QB.  :rock:

Maybe that is what they are talking to Atlanta for, to get to the No.4 pick.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'm assuming that if Mr. Brady truly believes that we will be looking for Josh Allen type mobility as a major pillar of a suite of attributes (and I'm not sure he's saying that), then my guess is that Mr. Brady was hired as a figurehead that will have little input into the offense but can say the right things.  On his way to a HC job somewhere else soon.

Nothing about how Ballard has constructed the oline....the capital invested...the types of QBs he's signed and drafted (Rivers and Eason) or even how Reich used our previous QB that had better than Josh Allen mobility (Luck) speaks to high mobility being a major pillar.

Maybe we'll change philosophies.  

The stuff about arm strength, pushing the ball down field and buying time by moving around in the pocket makes more sense.

He's been with the Colts for the last 3 years. He was QBs coach before Sirianni left and he was promoted after he left

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

So does Eason!!!!

Lol sorry, had to. Brady pretty much said every trait a QB needs. Arm strength, Accuracy, and Mobility.

Sure, he can’t really run but his pocket presence is solid, he can still avoid rushers. Reminds me of P.Manning IN THE POCKET.

Also Mac has great accuracy and a decent arm. Yeah, his WR’s were open by 20 yards every play but he hit them in stride consistently.

To some extent.. some of Eason's worst attributes in college were his pocket presence and even though he's not exactly a statue in the pocket I wouldn't say his mobility was a strength.

Just now, stitches said:

He's been with the Colts for the last 3 years. He was QBs coach before Sirianni left and he was promoted after he left

I didn't mean to bust on Mr. Brady or his credentials.  I hope he actually calls plays unlike Sirianni, and does it well,

I mean, sure, everybody wants Josh Allen.  Pat Mahomes plus 3 inches and 20 pounds.  Why not.

20 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Really hope Ballard, Reich, and Brady are targeting Zach Wilson. He could be special in this offense and has Mahomes like ability. 

I like Zach too.  I just think Fields is sturdier and more battle tested against better competition.  Wilson has a slight frame and has had shoulder surgery on his throwing arm.  That’s scary.  He’s very dynamic though.  Amazing arm talent.  Very accurate this past season.  Gunslinger.   I think he (and Fields too) can have a higher ceiling than Lawrence.  His size, injury history, and competition level makes his floor lower than Lawrence’s though.  As far as arm talent and accuracy I think both Fields & Wilson are ahead of Trevor.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I didn't mean to bust on Mr. Brady or his credentials.  I hope he actually calls plays unlike Sirianni, and does it well,

I mean, sure, everybody wants Josh Allen.  Pat Mahomes plus 3 inches and 20 pounds.  Why not.

Frank will continue to call the plays

7 hours ago, stitches said:

"Arm talent, being able to push the ball down the field.. so arm strength, accuracy. Being able to move around in the pocket. Being able to create extra time in the pocket because defenses nowadays are good so being able to create a bit extra time for the receivers to get open... that's where big plays are made.... You don't necessarily need to be the Lamar Jackson's of the league, but you are going to have to move in the pocket because defenses are good and pass-rushers are so much faster now. So QBs need to be able to buy some time and move and create big plays. I mean Josh Allen made a living this season by buying time and making big plays down the field."

I honestly see Eason checking those boxes.

The big piece for Eason isn't his mobility within the pocket (or outside of it), it's not panicking when the pocket is breaking down. He has better mobility than he gets credit for and while he's not a dual threat QB, he can still make plays with him legs. He's not Rivers, Manning, or Brady slow, and I should say that all 3 of those guys were/are masterful in their ability to move within the pocket to create extra time.

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

The big piece for Eason isn't his mobility within the pocket (or outside of it), it's not panicking when the pocket is breaking down. He has better mobility than he gets credit for and while he's not a dual threat QB, he can still make plays with him legs. He's not Rivers, Manning, or Brady slow, and I should say that all 3 of those guys were/are masterful in their ability to move within the pocket to create extra time.

Seen Eason throw accurately on the run and during roll outs so not worried  there.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

His biggest question mark coming out was how he would panic when he was pressured. Quote below is off his draft profile under concerns.

"Eason will turn 23 midway through his rookie year yet he's still inexperienced and unpolished. He's also not the least bit mobile, which means he'll have to be elite as a passer and he really never showed that in college. Statistically he was "good" in his only year at Washington, but certainly not great. And while I lauded his accuracy from a clean pocket he was flat-out bad when he was pressured."

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/2020-nfl-draft-profile-jacob-eason-has-prototypical-qb-traits-but-will-it-make-him-a-fantasy-football-star/

32 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

His biggest question mark coming out was how he would panic when he was pressured. Quote below is off his draft profile under concerns.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/2020-nfl-draft-profile-jacob-eason-has-prototypical-qb-traits-but-will-it-make-him-a-fantasy-football-star/

Well I guess that settles it. 

Eason will never improve and become a fantasy football starter. :scratch:

2 hours ago, Shive said:

I don't think he checks them as cleanly as I would like him to. In fact the biggest knock on him was panic under pressure. There even used to be jokes about his infamous spins whenever he saw any sort of pressure. And I'm not so sure he will be able to consistently make plays with his legs in the NFL. 

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well I guess that settles it. 

Eason will never improve and become a fantasy football starter. :scratch:

Not saying he can’t improve just stating the truth.

We haven’t seen that he has improved and doesn’t panic anymore therefore stating he is good when pressured is an inaccuracy 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Sorry, that may have been my wording. I meant that Eason's mobility in the pocket isn't an issue, but how he would panic under pressure definitely is. We're on the same page, I 

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think he checks them as cleanly as I would like him to. In fact the biggest knock on him was panic under pressure. There even used to be jokes about his infamous spins whenever he saw any sort of pressure. And I'm not so sure he will be able to consistently make plays with his legs in the NFL. 

See above on my miswording. I honestly think that may have been his lack of understanding of and comfortability with the Washington offensive scheme showing through. There were some concerns about his work ethic coming out and this may be some of the manifestation of that. If you're not prepared, when things break down, you panic. Hopefully working with a really good offensive staff, watching a future HOF QB prep, and working with a world class QB guru will work those kinks out. Hopefully we'll get a good look at him in the preseason, because if he can fix those few things, he's got extremely high potential. And I think he's the kind of QB that won't blow anyone away with his legs, but he's not a statue either.

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Him or Wilson.  We’d have to get in front of Atlanta (Miami’s 3rd pick) for whichever one they don’t take.  I’m fine with either.

Would rather get Jones. I want no part of Fields. OSU quarterbacks just don't pan out in NFL. I'll go one more step and hope we never draft another OSU player, ever.

33 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Would rather get Jones. I want no part of Fields. OSU quarterbacks just don't pan out in NFL. I'll go one more step and hope we never draft another OSU player, ever.

I think Ryan Day is going to change that stigma about OSU QB’s.  And the Colts problem is we hadn’t drafted the right OSU player.  Fields is the right player.  Watch his arrival activate Campbell’s takeoff.

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I wouldn't expect him to be a fantasy football stud, would hope that when teams crowd the box to stop our rushing attack he can burn them with a 20+ yard pass each time to force an exposed defense. Just my hopes for any QB we may get

2 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Yeah, I’d hate to get stuck with a Bosa brother, a Zeke, a Michael Thomas, a Chase Young, etc...

I love these kinds of blanket statements!

Related to this thread, Kevin Bowen is my favorite Colts reporter/blogger/podcaster by far.  He recently played his ten minute interview with Eason.  I was impressed with how Eason responded, clearly and without hesitation.   

Bowen has an interview with Hines coming up next week.  He’s a great listen too.  

Bowen has the best insight into the team as far as I can tell.  

2 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I was sincerely torn between the sad emoji and the laughing emoji.   Either would work in this case.   But today, laughter wins out.   

Look around at some of the other responses in this thread that point to all the successful OSU players in the NFL.   Come on now. 

40 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i dont want to see us go with a rookie draft pick qb, it will be a wasted season if we do

I disagree. You're suggesting we get a veteran, well who would that be? The 'good' ones are not cheap. The cheap ones are not good. So what else is there? Bet on a dude like Wentz who is a question mark?

Here's the thing...do I think the Colts were close to SB contention this year? Yes. The roster is solid but it's not good enough to take a mediocre QB or a guy who isn't competent. It's not like the defense is in the conversation as one of the best ever.

A rookie at least gives the Colts the chance to get back in the wildcard spots. I don't think the Colts win the SB with a rookie but circle back to my first paragraph on Vet QBs. The best bet seems to get a rookie, and hopefully get back in the playoffs with the main goal being to win the SB the year after.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I disagree. You're suggesting we get a veteran, well who would that be? The 'good' ones are not cheap. The cheap ones are not good. So what else is there? Bet on a dude like Wentz who is a question mark?

Here's the thing...do I think the Colts were close to SB contention this year? Yes. The roster is solid but it's not good enough to take a mediocre QB or a guy who isn't competent. It's not like the defense is in the conversation as one of the best ever.

A rookie at least gives the Colts the chance to get back in the wildcard spots. I don't think the Colts win the SB with a rookie but circle back to my first paragraph on Vet QBs. The best bet seems to get a rookie, and hopefully get back in the playoffs with the main goal being to win the SB the year after.

What rookie will be there at 21?

13 hours ago, stitches said:

Damn straight Marcus. 

Josh Allen was insanely good this year. Zach Wilson is basically a carbon copy if he can add weight.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

What rookie will be there at 21?

Maybe Mac Jones...maybe. (*I don't watch nearly enough college ball to speak educatedly about these rookie QBs. I've seen some of them several times but not enough for me to speak authoritatively).

With that said, if the Colts want to go the 'expensive' route, I'd rather have a rookie than a so-so veteran. Stafford was exciting but the hyperdrive many of us fans went to was amazing and showed the desperation we feel. Folks started crowning him as if he was better than Luck. Gladly, Ballard wasn't going to pay that over-the-top exorbitant price for the dude.

Also, on that 21 pick. I doubt Indy picks there. I think Ballard is either moving down, or trading back. Then again, on draft day, crazy things happen....Hooker fell to 15 when he had no business doing so. We will see.

For me, the good thing is the GM is competent. I trust his judgement. I'm excited about the future.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Damn straight Marcus. 

Josh Allen was insanely good this year. Zach Wilson is basically a carbon copy if he can add weight.

Quick note on Allen. We all love what the dude is now but lets remember what he was in those first couple years too. Hopefully if CB goes the rookie route, fans (including myself) show some patience with the young guy. Not every QB goes gangbusters from day 1 like Mahomes, Luck or Herbert did. Some take time to develop. Shoot, that's every position not just QB.

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Maybe Mac Jones...maybe. (*I don't watch nearly enough college ball to speak educatedly about these rookie QBs. I've seen some of them several times but not enough for me to speak authoritatively).

With that said, if the Colts want to go the 'expensive' route, I'd rather have a rookie than a so-so veteran. Stafford was exciting but the hyperdrive many of us fans went to was amazing and showed the desperation we feel. Folks started crowning him as if he was better than Luck. Gladly, Ballard wasn't going to pay that over-the-top exorbitant price for the dude.

Also, on that 21 pick. I doubt Indy picks there. I think Ballard is either moving down, or trading back. Then again, on draft day, crazy things happen....Hooker fell to 15 when he had no business doing so. We will see.

For me, the good thing is the GM is competent. I trust his judgement. I'm excited about the future.

I don't think Ballard waits until the draft to have a qb.   

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I want to love Fields...I really do. The athleticism is crazy good...and he's fun to watch. 

But then I turn on Wilson tape and he's just passing at a different level. And while Milne has developed into a solid WR...but he's not throwing to a wide open Chris Olave downfield. I can only imagine what Wilson could do with legit NFL talent to throw to.

Wilson's arm talent is damn near elite. And I am not just talking about strength. The quick release and touch are excellent as well. And this is a guy who has had shoulder surgery as well. I don't even care about that. Get this guy in an NFL workout regime and add 20 lbs...he will be even better.

Admittedly I am biased...and I have not been shy about my Zach Wilson love. I will buy season tickets if the Colts get Zach Wilson.

I just don't see the same downfield game with Fields. I think they can both be great QBs...but I would gladly trade a bit of athleticism for the arm talent that Wilson has.

13 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Quick note on Allen. We all love what the dude is now but lets remember what he was in those first couple years too. Hopefully if CB goes the rookie route, fans (including myself) show some patience with the young guy. Not every QB goes gangbusters from day 1 like Mahomes, Luck or Herbert did. Some take time to develop. Shoot, that's every position not just QB.

I don't think Wilson is nearly as raw as Allen was. The jump in accuracy that happened for Allen (at age 24) happened for Wilson at age 21 in college. I think he's way ahead of Allen. And not only was he accurate...he was accurate while throwing the ball 12+ yards downfield on average. Between that and his age...that is just special.

If Reich agreed that he was ready...I think the Colts could win games with him right away.

23 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think Ballard waits until the draft to have a qb.   

Yeah, that makes sense. I think as a draft strategist, he goes into every draft without NEED being the overriding goal. I may be wrong and misremembering but i feel like every draft we've had with him, there're the positions that draftniks say the Colts NEED in the draft, and Ballard almost always fills those holes before the draft comes around.

12 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

I actually think Mac has more than enough Mobility to succeed in the NFL. Sure, he isn’t your modern QB that will be running for first downs every time the pocket breaks down, but he’s shown many times on tape that he is capable of moving outside of the pocket and making the throw. He’s also run for first downs a few times, so he can run when needed, he isn’t a statue. I’m falling more and more in love with Mac at the end of the 1st!

Archived