Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman highlights

CR91

Don't much care for 50-50 balls but I agree Pittman has great talent. 

With Rivers as our QB he utilized a lot of receivers including RBs out of the backfield. He really didn't go down field as much as a lot of QBs so it did hamper Pittman's ability to produce stats.

If we do get a QB that airs it out Pittman's numbers will increase a bunch. Plus he is entering into the year where good WRs start to catch the speed of the game. 

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There is definitely potential there. I just wish the colts gave him more opportunities to use his big frame. It seems a lot of his routes this year were slants and crosses. I'd like to see him get some 50/50 balls.

I think there’s better than a 50/50 chance you will get your wish.    It’s going to happen.  Count on it. 

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well when you're 6 4 and the defender is 5 11, it's more 80/20 haha

But if the QB is throwing up 50-50 balls it's a sign of desperation.  

Yes it's nice to have a 6'-4" receiver in case it comes down to desperation but I would rather the QB find the open receiver and not a planed 50-50 throw. 

59 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But if the QB is throwing up 50-50 balls it's a sign of desperation.  

Yes it's nice to have a 6'-4" receiver in case it comes down to desperation but I would rather the QB find the open receiver and not a planed 50-50 throw. 

I don't agree with that. Throwing 50/50 balls to me has more to do with taking advantage of certain matchups and trusting your guy to win especially if it's a one on one situation. Also I can't say it was a limitation thing because of Rivers since he was throwing those 50/50 balls to a similar sized WR in Mike Williams a year prior.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't agree with that. Throwing 50/50 balls to me has more to do with taking advantage of certain matchups and trusting your guy to win especially if it's a one on one situation. Also I can't say it was a limitation thing because of Rivers since he was throwing those 50/50 balls to a similar sized WR in Mike Williams a year prior.

So you would rather your QB throw up 50-50 balls over open receivers? 

image.png.254940313493947fadbc0dbfff9e0968.png PS, that is why Rivers had a high number of picks too. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you would rather your QB throw up 50-50 balls over open receivers? 

image.png.254940313493947fadbc0dbfff9e0968.png PS, that is why Rivers had a high number of picks too. 

No, but it's an option especially if you have a mismatch you can take advantage of.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

There is definitely potential there. I just wish the colts gave him more opportunities to use his big frame. It seems a lot of his routes this year were slants and crosses. I'd like to see him get some 50/50 balls.

He's got very good hands and is deceptively fast, quick and strong as a runner. 

My guess is, if we get a QB with a bigger arm, he'll see more deep balls thrown his way.

In his interview last week with Dakich, Ballard said he thinks Pittman is going to be a “great player.”   His words.   That his injury set back his development.    And that he’s going to be much better next year.    This is what some of us have been saying about Pittman and Taylor for months. 

I think next year we will see a whole new Michael Pittman that most here will love.  Of course there will be the Usual Suspects wondering why he wasn’t that good his rookie year?   And they’ll blame Frank and Rivers.  They’ll forget the injury, the surgery and covid, etc.    

Michael Pittman,  2021, coming to a stadium near you!     :thmup:

During the draft, i couldn't figure out why we took him and not Claypool.  I had only watched their hightlight reels but Claypool just flashed, and seemed more explosive and physical.  During the season, as Claypool flashed in Pittsburgh, and threw up touchdowns every week.  I think 3 one week.  And i still said.... why Pittman?

Pitt has since grown on me.  Love the kid and i see his value.  I can see him making a BIG jump next year.   He’s just a different type of cat than Claypool.  

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In his last year for the Chargers. 

You missed the whole conversation. :hat:

Thanks.   Appreciate the 411. 

But a QB having a high number of interceptions for one season when he normally doesn’t, barely moves the needle for me.    It was good to see Rivers throw far fewer this year.   Put the right guy in right system with the right coach and good things can happen.

Thats why I’m not worried about Wentz.   I’m hopeful it’s the same. 

On 2/9/2021 at 3:41 PM, CR91 said:

50/50 ball more or less realistically means you know that your guy can outjump the guy assigned to cover him so you take advantage of this fact.  

On 2/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, CR91 said:

No, but it's an option especially if you have a mismatch you can take advantage of.

If you have a mismatch that you can take advantage, surely it's not a 50/50 ball any more?

A 50/50 ball is one that the receiver and the defender each have an equal chance of coming down with.

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

If you have a mismatch that you can take advantage, surely it's not a 50/50 ball any more?

A 50/50 ball is one that the receiver and the defender each have an equal chance of coming down with.

Jesus it's just a saying. You don't hear announcers calling it 80/20 balls

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Jesus it's just a saying. You don't hear announcers calling it 80/20 balls

The types of throws that could be described as 80/20 balls aren't 50/50 balls.

If you're taking advantage of a match-up, and could therefore call it an 80/20 ball, it's not a 50/50.

Nobody should want to see more 50/50 balls thrown. If a corner has the same chance as the receiver of catching a pass, it's not a good pass.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, ColtsGermany said:

He had to run a lot of crossers. 

Would like to see how he does on posts or corner routes. 

Yeah he killed on the crossers.  But a lot of teams will run split safeties in 2021 as you see that trend away from cover 3 so those are gonna get tougher. 

One thing that impressed me is the crispness of his routes as the season went on.  His comebacks and curls improved a lot as a rookie and he was separating on them because teams respect his athleticism.

The other impressive thing with him is his toughness in traffic.  You can't teach that.  Which means he'll continue to be a threat across the middle his entire career.

50 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

The types of throws that could be described as 80/20 balls aren't 50/50 balls.

If you're taking advantage of a match-up, and could therefore call it an 80/20 ball, it's not a 50/50.

Nobody should want to see more 50/50 balls thrown. If a corner has the same chance as the receiver of catching a pass, it's not a good pass.

Sometimes, it’s the option the QB wants.  He trusts the receiver more than another.  

And the other poster is correct,  it’s an expression the NFL community uses.  If you don’t like it, take it up with them.   You’re reading too much into way too little.    It’s just a saying. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sometimes, it’s the option the QB wants.  He trusts the receiver more than another.  

And the other poster is correct,  it’s an expression the NFL community uses.  If you don’t like it, take it up with them.   You’re reading too much into way too little.    It’s just a saying. 

It's an expression that the NFL community uses for a very specific type of pass. No QB ever wants to throw a 50/50 ball. It's something they're forced to do when better options are taken away.

22 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

It's an expression that the NFL community uses for a very specific type of pass. No QB ever wants to throw a 50/50 ball. It's something they're forced to do when better options are taken away.

Again...   you’re reading too much into the verbiage.   The NFL isn’t going to start breaking down pass routes calling some 60-40 or others 55-45.   If you’ve got a tall receiver like Pittman and he’s going against a shorter corner, some plays are calling for the pass to be put up high where the taller receiver has the advantage.   NFL teams call them 50-50 even when the odds are higher.   But teams will notice when a receiver is good at winning 50-50 balls.  The Colts said that about Pittman when they drafted him.  

If a team throws 100 passes that are 50-50 balls in a season, they’re not expecting to only win half of them.  This is not the flip of a coin or a mathematical formula.   NFL teams expect to win more than half of those.  The only question is...  how many more than half?   Players like Pittman give teams an advantage with their skill set. 

Again....    It’s just an expression.   It’s not literal. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again...   you’re reading too much into the verbiage.   The NFL isn’t going to start breaking down pass routes calling some 60-40 or others 55-45.   If you’ve got a tall receiver like Pittman and he’s going against a shorter corner, some plays are calling for the pass to be put up high where the taller receiver has the advantage.   NFL teams call them 50-50 even when the odds are higher.   But teams will notice when a receiver is good at winning 50-50 balls.  The Colts said that about Pittman when they drafted him.  

If a team throws 100 passes that are 50-50 balls in a season, they’re not expecting to only win half of them.  This is not the flip of a coin or a mathematical formula.   NFL teams expect to win more than half of those.  The only question is...  how many more than half?   Players like Pittman give teams an advantage with their skill set. 

Again....    It’s just an expression.   It’s not literal. 

It is literal though. Not all the way literal obviously because there isn't precisely 50% chance of either player coming down with it, but it's more literal than you're suggesting.

The throws that you're describing simply aren't 50/50 balls, and aren't the types of throws that people are referring to when they use the expression 50/50 ball. The throws that you're describing are typically referred to as contested catches.

The ball is snapped. The QB takes a 5 step drop and looks to his first option. The cornerback is draped all over the receiver. He looks to his second option, which has also been taken away. Pressure comes from the QBs left and he scrambles to his right. Along the sideline, a WR has managed to free up a little space but the corner is still in close proximity. The QB throws the ball up in the vicinity of the receiver and the corner, hoping that his receiver will come down with it. That's a 50/50 ball.

Taking advantage of scheme and match ups to isolate a big WR on a small corner isn't a 50/50 ball.

5 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

It is literal though. Not all the way literal obviously because there isn't precisely 50% chance of either player coming down with it, but it's more literal than you're suggesting.

The throws that you're describing simply aren't 50/50 balls, and aren't the types of throws that people are referring to when they use the expression 50/50 ball. The throws that you're describing are typically referred to as contested catches.

The ball is snapped. The QB takes a 5 step drop and looks to his first option. The cornerback is draped all over the receiver. He looks to his second option, which has also been taken away. Pressure comes from the QBs left and he scrambles to his right. Along the sideline, a WR has managed to free up a little space but the corner is still in close proximity. The QB throws the ball up in the vicinity of the receiver and the corner, hoping that his receiver will come down with it. That's a 50/50 ball.

Taking advantage of scheme and match ups to isolate a big WR on a small corner isn't a 50/50 ball.

Let’s assume for discussions sake that you’re right.   Ok?

Even with that you’re STILL reading too much negative into the expression 50/50.   They happen in every NFL game that’s played.  Teams are looking for ways to win the majority of those plays.  More than 50 percent.   But they’re not calling them 60/40 balls.  They’re 50/50.   High pointing the catch is a skill set.  Not every receiver can do it as well as desired.   A guy like Pittman is recognized for his ability to win a high percentage of 50/50 balls.  

I think your view that teams don’t want to run 50/50 plays is false.   They have to, so they’re trying to make the best of the situation. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s assume for discussions sake that you’re right.   Ok?

Even with that you’re STILL reading too much negative into the expression 50/50.   They happen in every NFL game that’s played.  Teams are looking for ways to win the majority of those plays.  More than 50 percent.   But they’re not calling them 60/40 balls.  They’re 50/50.   High pointing the catch is a skill set.  Not every receiver can do it as well as desired.   A guy like Pittman is recognized for his ability to win a high percentage of 50/50 balls.  

I think your view that teams don’t want to run 50/50 plays is false.   They have to, so they’re trying to make the best of the situation. 

Teams don't run 50/50 ball plays. Head coaches don't want to run plays that their receiver only has a 50% chance of coming down with. Again, those are just contested catches. 

Being good at coming down with 50/50 balls is a good thing. It means a receiver can make a play when the actual play has broken down. No one should want a receiver to have more 50/50 balls thrown to him though. That means something's going wrong.

15 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Teams don't run 50/50 ball plays. Head coaches don't want to run plays that their receiver only has a 50% chance of coming down with. Again, those are just contested catches. 

Being good at coming down with 50/50 balls is a good thing. It means a receiver can make a play when the actual play has broken down. No one should want a receiver to have more 50/50 balls thrown to him though. That means something's going wrong.

OK.....    we’ve had several goes at this.   And we don’t seem to be closing the gap. 

I think we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. 

7 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Not sure if there's a definition issue at hand or not, when it come the conversation of 50/50 balls or not, but bottom line, a lot of teams schemes use 50/50s as an integral part of their O. Especially those teams with good possession "bigs" or dynamic WRs (physical measurables like vert). 

In short, and purely my opinion, but the league's definition of a 50/50 ball is really not a true 50/50 ball. A big WR or TE who is expecting the ball, going against a DB who is typically 6 foot-ish, with his eyes on the WR/TE instead of the QB, is really not in a 50/50 situation. It's more like 70/30, but it's called 50/50. Perhaps 50/50 in terms of if it's completed or not, but it's not 50/50 in terms of who comes down with the ball. Regardless, a lot teams run 50/50 plays. 

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

I'm shocked this thread now has 31 replies. When I saw the thread entitled Pittman Highlights I figured this would be the shortest thread ever considering Pittman had like two highlights all season... :funny:

Lol it's mostly me just being pedantic about semantics.

Archived