Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvell Tell

JediXMan

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Just curious. Does anyone know Tell's reason to opt out? I'm not sure if he has health issues or if there's another specific reason other than just "it's a deadly virus". The only reason I ask is because if he didn't really have a specific reason to opt out, then what's the difference between this season and the upcoming season? Pretty much the same risk at this point... 

I don't know about same risk. Millions have had the vaccine now with millions more in the next few weeks. Plus, millions have already had it and aren't likely to get it again, at least from what I've seen, and the numbers are declining each day.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Ive thought of switching Rock to Safety myself, hits hard and with abandon , cant cover and is handsy. hard to see him having success at Corner but Safety is another beast entirely

I haven't given up on him at corner just yet.  From what i've seen its just the penalties that bring him down.  There were a lot of them but if he can fix that issue i think he can be an excellent corner.  

7 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Ive thought of switching Rock to Safety myself, hits hard and with abandon , cant cover and is handsy. hard to see him having success at Corner but Safety is another beast entirely

He can cover just fine when he starts out at the LOS. He was top 10 rated the last half of 2019 when we played a bit more press/man. I also think the rip/liz impacted a lot of guys negatively (not just CBs). Oke dropped off a lot too. With so many zone flavors with rip/liz, it's really hard to determine who has who unless you literally watch every play with rip/liz sheet in front of you. Just seemed like we had so many variations this year, it was hard to make heads or tails of. I know our LB crew struggled with handoffs big time. 

But on RYS, I think he'd be a great NB, Dime, or S. I could envision a lot of moving parts to be honest. I still Blackmon would be better at SS. Not sure if RYS could play FS, but I wouldn't mind seeing them try it out. I wouldn't mind seeing Hooker get another shot, and reps at least when we're playing C1 or C3. Maybe Tell moves back to S too. The only DB position, or positions I think are solid are NB. Both Kenny and Carrie were very solid there. CB1 if Rhodes comes back. CB2, FS, and SS are all wildcards to me. Willis plays very well in the box, but struggles in the back end. 

Anyway, I think we have some talent, just perhaps need to move some folks around.

On Tell, keep in mind, the concerns with him coming into the draft, were his tackling, physicality, discipline, and hustle.

Aside from draft position (5th round), height, and some measurables, they're not really a great comp for each other.

Sherman was a member of the legion of boom. The quote from one of the draft guys on Tell, was something like "always the nail, never the hammer". So I guess some comps are fair, but comparing them in style, or even ceiling isn't hitting the target.

Anyway, He's either a FS or zone CB to me. Press corner, SS, NB, Dime, etc. really aren't a good fit.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

On Tell, keep in mind, the concerns with him coming into the draft, were his tackling, physicality, discipline, and hustle.

Aside from draft position (5th round), height, and some measurables, they're not really a great comp for each other.

Sherman was a member of the legion of boom. The quote from one of the draft guys on Tell, was something like "always the nail, never the hammer". So I guess some comps are fair, but comparing them in style, or even ceiling isn't hitting the target.

Anyway, He's either a FS or zone CB to me. Press corner, SS, NB, Dime, etc. really aren't a good fit.

By this post,  you're comparing college Marvell Tell with NFL Richard Sherman.    I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I'd compare college Marvel Tell with college Richard Sherman,  who was also a 5th round pick and not taken by his own college coach, Jim Harbaugh who was with SF when Richard was drafted.     Sherman was a WR his first two years at Stanford.  Think he realized his chances of making it as a WR in the NFL were very poor.    So, he took a Red Shirt year,  and practiced to be a corner.    His first year playing CB was a disaster.   The worst CB play you've ever seen.   Notre Dame in particular ate his breakfast, lunch and dinner.    Richard was comically bad!    His last year, he was improved and then suddenly, about half-way through,  the light went on.   His 2nd half of his last year,  he played really, really well.    And that alone got him drafted in the 5th.   

The Colts clearly hope some time and experience with Tell might yield a much improved player.   The two share similar height, weight, speed numbers.   It's not inconceivable Tell turns into a good player.    I'd never, ever predict he's going to be another Richard Sherman.   But there stories are not dissimilar.   There's reason to be somewhat optimistic.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By this post,  you're comparing college Marvell Tell with NFL Richard Sherman.    I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I'd compare college Marvel Tell with college Richard Sherman,  who was also a 5th round pick and not taken by his own college coach, Jim Harbaugh who was with SF when Richard was drafted.     Sherman was a WR his first two years at Stanford.  Think he realized his chances of making it as a WR in the NFL were very poor.    So, he took a Red Shirt year,  and practiced to be a corner.    His first year playing CB was a disaster.   The worst CB play you've ever seen.   Notre Dame in particular ate his breakfast, lunch and dinner.    Richard was comically bad!    His last year, he was improved and then suddenly, about half-way through,  the light went on.   His 2nd half of his last year,  he played really, really well.    And that alone got him drafted in the 5th.   

The Colts clearly hope some time and experience with Tell might yield a much improved player.   The two share similar height, weight, speed numbers.   It's not inconceivable Tell turns into a good player.    I'd never, ever predict he's going to be another Richard Sherman.   But there stories are not dissimilar.   There's reason to be somewhat optimistic.

Sherman actually switched after his injury and he fell on the depth chart IIRC. 

If I'm comparing college Tell to college Sherman, it's not a good comp either. College Tell had several productive years, and regressed a bit. Sherman, as you said, really peaked on an upward trajectory after the position switch. 

Also, in terms of situation, it's pretty rare (not impossible, but unlikely) that a non-physical guy becomes a physical guy. Sherman was was physical. Tell never has been. Sherman was seen as a guy pigeon holed as press man guy who lacked fluidity, coverage skills, and instincts, but high effort. We know he was more fluid than people though. Tell is seen already as fluid, decent in coverage, but perhaps lazy and undisciplined. But his biggest issue is not being physical and poor tacking (very dif from RS).

So in short, very different comps, even if you compare their college days. As you know, I'm a ND fan and follow all our opponents closely, as well as recruiting. I remember the Sherman days well. And I also followed Tell's days back to HS as ND recruited him. I really wanted Tell at ND, and IIRC, he was either a 5 star or high 4 star out of Encino. ND rarely does well with Cali DBs lol. 

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sherman actually switched after his injury and he fell on the depth chart IIRC. 

If I'm comparing college Tell to college Sherman, it's not a good comp either. College Tell had several productive years, and regressed a bit. Sherman, as you said, really peaked on an upward trajectory after the position switch. 

Also, in terms of situation, it's pretty rare (not impossible, but unlikely) that a non-physical guy becomes a physical guy. Sherman was was physical. Tell never has been. Sherman was seen as a guy pigeon holed as press man guy who lacked fluidity, coverage skills, and instincts, but high effort. We know he was more fluid than people though. Tell is seen already as fluid, decent in coverage, but perhaps lazy and undisciplined. But his biggest issue is not being physical and poor tacking (very dif from RS).

So in short, very different comps, even if you compare their college days. As you know, I'm a ND fan and follow all our opponents closely, as well as recruiting. I remember the Sherman days well. And I also followed Tell's days back to HS as ND recruited him. I really wanted Tell at ND, and IIRC, he was either a 5 star or high 4 star out of Encino. ND rarely does well with Cali DBs lol. 

Sherman didn't fall on any WR depth chart that Stanford had.   Until recently, WR has often been a hard position for Stanford to recruit.   Sherman did have an injury,  but Harbaugh was not happy that Sherman wanted to convert.   Harbaugh let him, but he wasn't happy about it.    And it took nearly 1.5 years of Sherman's last two to payoff.   Until then,  there was very tough on the job training.   Sherman was totally lost at corner for a long time until the last half of his senior year.

As for the comparison....   I think you're being technical.   Their pros and cons don't have to be identical to be a good comp.  They're both roughly the same height, roughly the same weight.   They're both conversions from one position to cornerback.  They both went in the 5th round.   Obviously, Sherman's conversion has been one for the ages.   He's going into the Hall.  The Colts are simply hoping Tell turns out to be good.   If he's ever anything more,  that's gravy.   The Tell-Sherman comps were made all through the draft process by many in the media.   It's not just me and other members here who have made it.  No one is making this up or trying to overthink this.   No one is saying Tell is going to be great, or RS 2.0.   But wouldn't it be nice if he's better than we might expect?   I think there's upside here that I look forward to no matter where he ends up.   I just think he gets a good long look at corner before he's moved anywhere else.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sherman didn't fall on any WR depth chart that Stanford had.   Until recently, WR has often been a hard position for Stanford to recruit.   Sherman did have an injury,  but Harbaugh was not happy that Sherman wanted to convert.   Harbaugh let him, but he wasn't happy about it.    And it took nearly 1.5 years of Sherman's last two to payoff.   Until then,  there was very tough on the job training.   Sherman was totally lost at corner for a long time until the last half of his senior year.

As for the comparison....   I think you're being technical.   Their pros and cons don't have to be identical to be a good comp.  They're both roughly the same height, roughly the same weight.   They're both conversions from one position to cornerback.  They both went in the 5th round.   Obviously, Sherman's conversion has been one for the ages.   He's going into the Hall.  The Colts are simply hoping Tell turns out to be good.   If he's ever anything more,  that's gravy.   The Tell-Sherman comps were made all through the draft process by many in the media.   It's not just me and other members here who have made it.  No one is making this up or trying to overthink this.   No one is saying Tell is going to be great, or RS 2.0.   But wouldn't it be nice if he's better than we might expect?   I think there's upside here that I look forward to no matter where he ends up.   I just think he gets a good long look at corner before he's moved anywhere else.

Sherman is a FA.  Would you sign him?   Leadership would be amazing.  But play wise? 

7 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Sherman is a FA.  Would you sign him?   Leadership would be amazing.  But play wise? 

I’ve thought of this...  I’d be curious what his pff grades have been like?   Has San Fran lost interest in Sherman due to performance or due to health issues?   I’m not sure?   Until I know I wouldn’t hazard a guess. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

IIRC, Sherman wasn't lighting it up when he was at WR. He had a good freshman year, but didn't take a big step forward in year 2. Then he got injured, and at the same time guys like Owusu, Ertz, Patterson, Whalen, and Fleener were emerging. So while Stanford historically had trouble before that with pass catchers, that really wasn't the case those years around his injury.

To add, I think his switch had more to do with his dislike for Harbaugh, than it being a better position for NFL aspirations. After the injury and the whole thing about him giving up on the team (from Harbaugh), he simply wanted to have zero to do with JH. I recall some interviews with him on the topic, and went as far as saying he egged on JH when he was on D by calling out plays/formations lol. And then the whole blowup after playing (pretty sure RS made the game winning play) and going off on JH, pretty much made it clear his feelings. Pretty sure he went as far as saying that bridge was burnt, and couldn't be repaired, and wanted nothing to do with JH ever since his injury lol.

Sorry man. IMO, the comp is bad other than height. The draft position has zero to do with what they can or can't do. Both have very different styles, very different demeanors, and very different college trajectories. And Tell didn't switch positions in college. I'd also say switching from FS to CB isn't a really near the change as O to D, or WR to CB.

But we do agree it would be great if Tell emerged. I'm really hoping he does. And I don't care what position it's at. Personally I'd prefer him ball out at CB like you. If he can handle the zone assignments better than RYS, I'm all for it.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Age and health are the concerns. But I would love the leadership if he can be gotten cheaply.

And has a chance at another ring.    Just saying. he has a lot of worse options.    Would love to have RYS work with him  

But yes above all else the leadership

10 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

And has a chance at another ring.    Just saying. he has a lot of worse options.    Would love to have RYS work with him  

But yes above all else the leadership

At his age, and coming off injury, he should demand a ton of money. Getting him on Rhodes like deal would be awesome. 

I agree he could help RYS, I just think our scheme simply might be a mismatch for him. IMO RYS would be a lot better in a press man, or least a less soft zone scheme.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

At his age, and coming off injury, he should demand a ton of money. Getting him on Rhodes like deal would be awesome. 

I agree he could help RYS, I just think our scheme simply might be a mismatch for him. IMO RYS would be a lot better in a press man, or least a less soft zone scheme.

should or should not?

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IIRC, Sherman wasn't lighting it up when he was at WR. He had a good freshman year, but didn't take a big step forward in year 2. Then he got injured, and at the same time guys like Owusu, Ertz, Patterson, Whalen, and Fleener were emerging. So while Stanford historically had trouble before that with pass catchers, that really wasn't the case those years around his injury.

To add, I think his switch had more to do with his dislike for Harbaugh, than it being a better position for NFL aspirations. After the injury and the whole thing about him giving up on the team (from Harbaugh), he simply wanted to have zero to do with JH. I recall some interviews with him on the topic, and went as far as saying he egged on JH when he was on D by calling out plays/formations lol. And then the whole blowup after playing (pretty sure RS made the game winning play) and going off on JH, pretty much made it clear his feelings. Pretty sure he went as far as saying that bridge was burnt, and couldn't be repaired, and wanted nothing to do with JH ever since his injury lol.

Sorry man. IMO, the comp is bad other than height. The draft position has zero to do with what they can or can't do. Both have very different styles, very different demeanors, and very different college trajectories. And Tell didn't switch positions in college. I'd also say switching from FS to CB isn't a really near the change as O to D, or WR to CB.

But we do agree it would be great if Tell emerged. I'm really hoping he does. And I don't care what position it's at. Personally I'd prefer him ball out at CB like you. If he can handle the zone assignments better than RYS, I'm all for it.

Very long response to answer all your points.

Paragraph One:   Ertz and Fleener were tight ends that Stanford used ocassionally as wide receivers.   That's how much trouble Stanford had getting good WR's.   Griff Whalen and Ryan Whalen were both walk ons at Stanford.   And non-drafted WR's in the NFL.   But neither was a scholarship player.   Sherman, who's a very smart guy, figured out he was never going to be an NFL wide receiver.   It was Corner or bust for him.

Paragraph Two:   I think you've taken events from three years...   RS's redshirt year, his third year,  and then his fourth year, (his first as a corner), which was his disaster, and his final year, his 5th at Stanford,  the one that made him get drafted in the NFL,  and have thrown them all into a blender and mixed them all up.    You've used three years of info and made it sound like a brief moment in time.   I don't know why you think you know Stanford history better than me.   I wouldn't presume to tell you that I know Notre Dame's better than you.    But you do this all the time.

Paragraph Three:   I didn't make the Sherman-Tell comp.   NFL evaluators did.   And I know you know this.   You've read the comps all over the internet.   I listed 4 things that evaluators point to, and you list one.   I listed height, weight,  the round they both were drafted in and the position switch.   For some odd reason, you reject the ones you don't care for and only point to height.    You keep trying to say the comp is no good because it's not a perfect match.   Well,  there's no such thing as a perfect match.   Perfection is a Fool's Errand.   (Not calling you a fool)   Just an expression.    

Paragraph Four:    Tell was my favorite pick after the 4th round.  And I was even more pleased when I read the Colts liked him as a conversion to Corner.   I think his tape is really good.   And I was shocked when I doubled checked his combine work out numbers.    Much better than anyone would've expected.   He tested through the roof.   I hope he turns into a steal.   I was disappointed he opted out.    I look forward to seeing what he is this year.   I have to believe if we give the kid time,  he will get even better.

Final Note:   Since you haven't mentioned it,  which surprises me,  Sherman's worst game was against Notre Dame in his 4th season.   I think Stanford led by 17 going into the 4th quarter.  I think ND outscored Stanford by 21 and did it by throwing mostly at Sherman.   I've never seen a corner look so lost on the field.  He couldn't find any receiver. It was both sad and comical at the same time.   The Irish marched up and down the field in no time flat attacking Sherman.    That he improved so much in such a short time his senior year was a shock to everyone.    The bigger shock came when he turned into a huge star in the NFL.   No Stanford person saw that coming.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very long response to answer all your points.

Paragraph One:   Ertz and Fleener were tight ends that Stanford used ocassionally as wide receivers.   That's how much trouble Stanford had getting good WR's.   Griff Whalen and Ryan Whalen were both walk ons at Stanford.   And non-drafted WR's in the NFL.   But neither was a scholarship player.   Sherman, who's a very smart guy, figured out he was never going to be an NFL wide receiver.   It was Corner or bust for him.

If they were NFL drafted WRs, doesn't really matter if they were walk on or not. And Stanford was TE heavy during those days too. 

Sherman has been vocal about his dislike for JH. Plenty of articles out there that would suggest he wanted as far away from JH as possible. I'm not making it up... 

It's also pretty obvious he didn't take a step forward in his sophomore year. It's also pretty obvious a lot of other pass catchers emerged during his injury.

You seem to discount all of that. Can you show me where he personally has said he figured out he would suddenly switch sides of the ball and become an NFL CB?

Paragraph Two:   I think you've taken events from three years...   RS's redshirt year, his third year,  and then his fourth year, (his first as a corner), which was his disaster, and his final year, his 5th at Stanford,  the one that made him get drafted in the NFL,  and have thrown them all into a blender and mixed them all up.    You've used three years of info and made it sound like a brief moment in time.   I don't know why you think you know Stanford history better than me.   I wouldn't presume to tell you that I know Notre Dame's better than you.    But you do this all the time.

I've followed Stanford closely for 30+ years. USC, Michigan, and several other ND traditional rivals too. I know who they are recruiting every year, In years that they were better, I could name their starting line ups. I'm not suggesting you don't know a lot about Stanford, or I know better, but I have a pretty good feel for them. And if you don't even acknowledge Sherman's very public dislike for Harbaugh as a very large contributing factor of him switching sides of the ball, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Paragraph Three:   I didn't make the Sherman-Tell comp.   NFL evaluators did.   And I know you know this.   You've read the comps all over the internet.   I listed 4 things that evaluators point to, and you list one.   I listed height, weight,  the round they both were drafted in and the position switch.   For some odd reason, you reject the ones you don't care for and only point to height.    You keep trying to say the comp is no good because it's not a perfect match.   Well,  there's no such thing as a perfect match.   Perfection is a Fool's Errand.   (Not calling you a fool)   Just an expression.    

Where they went in the draft doesn't mean anything, Size is about the only thing that's relevant. Most everything else that's actually meaningful is different. One is a physical press man guy, the other is called a nail and never the hammer. Has nothing to do with perfection. 

Paragraph Four:    Tell was my favorite pick after the 4th round.  And I was even more pleased when I read the Colts liked him as a conversion to Corner.   I think his tape is really good.   And I was shocked when I doubled checked his combine work out numbers.    Much better than anyone would've expected.   He tested through the roof.   I hope he turns into a steal.   I was disappointed he opted out.    I look forward to seeing what he is this year.   I have to believe if we give the kid time,  he will get even better.

I hope he does really well too.

Final Note:   Since you haven't mentioned it,  which surprises me,  Sherman's worst game was against Notre Dame in his 4th season.   I think Stanford led by 17 going into the 4th quarter.  I think ND outscored Stanford by 21 and did it by throwing mostly at Sherman.   I've never seen a corner look so lost on the field.  He couldn't find any receiver. It was both sad and comical at the same time.   The Irish marched up and down the field in no time flat attacking Sherman.    That he improved so much in such a short time his senior year was a shock to everyone.    The bigger shock came when he turned into a huge star in the NFL.   No Stanford person saw that coming.

I don't really think about Sherman much lol, and not really sure why Sherman vs ND is relevant to the conversation. ND lost most of the rivalry games in that span when Charlie was coach. Jimmy Clausen made a lot of DBs look like fools in 09. Our O was good, but our D was plain awful. Most of memories back then that is Stanford related is Luck, Gerhardt, Taylor, and Fleener. Couldn't stop them although I think some of the games were close. Charlie ignored D recruiting. 

Marvell Tell coming back plus Rodgers showing the chops to play on the boundary will provide good depth behind Moore, Ya Sin and whomever they draft high.

Plus, don't sleep on Roderick Teamer who had a solid 2nd half of his rookie season in 2019 before getting suspended for 2020. He started 7 games I believe.....

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Dont be this petty, literally no one cared 

Everyone attacks me and it’s all fun and games. I defend myself and prove I’m right and it’s “no one cares” and I’m “petty”. I’ll gladly take everything anyone here wants to throw at me but they’re going to have to admit when they’re wrong. 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

If you were really secure then you would not have posted in this thread today.  You would have forgotten about this thread which doesnt matter at all and moved on with your life

Not that I agree with GG's posts, but turnabout is fair play, no? Are you criticizing the others too?

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not that I agree with GG's posts, but turnabout is fair play, no? Are you criticizing the others too?

That guys post history is mostly stuff like this.  Holds grudges over months old comments that no one else even remembered

I dont think bumping long dead threads for an i told you so is a good look.  I bet he has been wrong before too

6 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

That guys post history is mostly stuff like this.  Holds grudges over months old comments that no one else even remembered

I dont think bumping long dead threads for an i told you so is a good look.  I bet he has been wrong before too

Everyone's wrong at times.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one with half a brain.

I'm not responsible for the words of every single poster.     How about this...   the vast majority of posters who know what they're talking about.

Better?

There are some on here who are well informed but let’s be honest for a moment...the vast majority of posters on this website just get on here to talk about how every single person the team signs or draft is the next GOAT. The real reason people get upset is because my posts don’t come with a huge slant of homerism.

4 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

The real reason people get upset is because my posts don’t come with a huge slant of homerism.

Its probably because you bump months old threads to say you were right about a player who once showed promise but didnt look the same after opting out for a year.

5 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

There are some on here who are well informed but let’s be honest for a moment...the vast majority of posters on this website just get on here to talk about how every single person the team signs or draft is the next GOAT. The real reason people get upset is because my posts don’t come with a huge slant of homerism.

Not every player, a huge majority were scratching their heads with the Tevi signing for example and were dead on. I think most all of us would much rather be wrong and be like wow ok then have and someone like that excel then be right and see the player get abused by 4th stringers and be like I told you so....lol

5 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

You were correct.    I was wrong.    You found one poster who made a foolish post.    I'm sorry I didn't read every single post in every single thread.      I went back into that thread which started way back in early Feb.     As far as I saw,  one poster made the claim you jumped on.    The rest made far more reasonable posts about Tell's potential.    His traits.    

You found a poster that you could give grief to.     Good for you.

If you think this is a good look for you,   if you think you're helping your own cause here,   I think you've miscalculated.

But who knows,  I've been wrong before.    And plenty of people here --- me included --- know it.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, JediXMan said:

I was looking at the Corner situation and almost forgot he was on the roster. It was unfortunate he withdrew last season due to Covid but it was completely understandable. I really think he had potential to be a decent corner he just needs some experience.

Sad Arrested Development GIF

Archived