Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie misses HOF

CR91

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If anyone wondered if Marino would get in they must really be dumb. lmao . Winning SB's are key but it was pretty obvious Marino was in based on everything else.

There were people that had that question 
 He is one of the few quarterbacks who was not a pioneer in some form without some form of NFL championship to get in

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He held every record when he retired. To me that was a no brainer 1st ballot guy.

For many especially old school guys the records meant nothing and during his playing career some form of a championship or being a pioneer in the NFL/AL/AAFC was a must

Several people wanted him to get a SB to take the legitimacy of his records out of the voters hand

there are numerous examples in every sport that have HOFs with glaring omissions(see Gil Hodges)

For me he was a sure fire HOFer

Several people had the same feelings about Jim Kelly and John Elway too

9 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Johnson was bigger - but not as talented as Reggie.  #87 just needed a cool nickname.

Wayne is my all time favorite Colt. First jersey I ever bought. But he was never as good as Calvin Johnson. 

He will get into the HoF one day and deservedly so. Just was never going in with Johnson on the same ballot 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Namath is in for more than one game.

He’s historically important.   He also spurned the NFL and signed with the AFL out of college for $427,000, an unheard of amount at the time.  He also threw for more than 4,000 yards in a season back when that was unthinkable.   Namath is a landmark figure in sports.  He deserves to be in the Hall. 

173 td 220 int. We can agree his place in the hall isn't based on his play on the field as much as his significance off the field

13 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Johnson was bigger - but not as talented as Reggie.  #87 just needed a cool nickname.

You are either a huge homer or lack the knowledge of what a receivers talent level is.

Every draft we all get to hear how every team is looking for that Megatron type of WR. 

No where else besides the Colts fans do we hear about teams looking for that Wayne type of WR. 

Get real. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are either a huge homer or lack the knowledge of what a receivers talent level is.

Every draft we all get to hear how every team is looking for that Megatron type of WR. 

No where else besides the Colts fans do we hear about teams looking for that Wayne type of WR. 

Get real. 

LOL.  I suggest you do the same.  IMO - Wayne used pure skill, great hands, route running ability and inate mental agility.  Johnson took advantage of his great size combined with lesser pure skill in these.  That's all I meant.  

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

173 td 220 int. We can agree his place in the hall isn't based on his play on the field as much as his significance off the field

There are different paths to get into the Hall of Fame.  

And I’d put both Namath and Bradshaw in long before the four guys I saw you list in another post yesterday.   We see this differently.  And that’s ok.... 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Get real. 

Ehh, while I agree 100% that Megatron was way better than Reggie, teams still look for guys like Reggie. Reliable hands and route running are a great asset. Even if you have a super human like Megatron, you’d still like to have a fundamentally sound reliable secondary target like Reggie. Prime Reggie is still the #1 target on most teams if he played today.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Get real. 

21 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Ehh, while I agree 100% that Megatron was way better than Reggie, teams still look for guys like Reggie. Reliable hands and route running are a great asset. Even if you have a super human like Megatron, you’d still like to have a fundamentally sound reliable secondary target like Reggie. Prime Reggie is still the #1 target on most teams if he played today.

Oh my!! Wayne is not in Megatrons class. He changed the game. Safety over the top everytime. At the goal line, they line 2 dbs on him basically saying u are not going to him. I think Wayne is a great receiver but I dont think he is hall of fame. I think the hall of fame is for the elite.....elite..elite...the dymanic.....game changers. Marvin was hall of fame, Reggie was not.

16 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There were people that had that question 
 He is one of the few quarterbacks who was not a pioneer in some form without some form of NFL championship to get in

I put Marino in the top 3 QB's I have ever seen play.   

As far as being a pioneer, I disagree.   In his first full season, he threw for 2900 more yards than the Colts did.   Also 36 more TD's than the Colts.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I put Marino in the top 3 QB's I have ever seen play.   

As far as being a pioneer, I disagree.   In his first full season, he threw for 2900 more yards than the Colts did.   Also 36 more TD's than the Colts.  

The players I was talking about are guys who broke a color or league barrier(AAFC/AFL)

36 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Was he one of the greatest running backs u ever saw? Not statistically but pure talent?

Yes,   Bob Sanders was one of the best run stuffing safties I ever saw as well.   Neither are hall worthy.   Hall of fame talent for both.

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,   Bob Sanders was one of the best run stuffing safties I ever saw as well.   Neither are hall worthy.   Hall of fame talent for both.

Bob was a middle but a one tick pony. I am not sure what your point is? U r comparing No against a one dimensional player who got hurt a lot. Bo had one major injury

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bob was a middle but a one tick pony. I am not sure what your point is? U r comparing No against a one dimensional player who got hurt a lot. Bo had one major injury

Bo had less than 3000 yards rushing and 16 tds.   He isn't a hall of famer

Archived