Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard talks with DD

NannyMcafee

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason Ballard said "no trade today" is because all 32 NFL teams are on lock down orders from the NFL.

No big news to report during the biggest weekend of the NFL calendar.   Nothing to upstage or distract from the Hall of Fame announcements and the Super Bowl.

A violation of that order could result in a $$$ fine or even a loss of draft picks.    The NFL takes this week as seriously as can be.    They'd punish any team who put their franchise above the good of the league.

Interesting. I didn’t know there was such a thing

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Interesting. I didn’t know there was such a thing

Happens every year.  The term is mine, but it’s roughly that.   

The NFL is all about messaging.  You don’t want anything that distracts from the Hall of Fame announcement or the SB.   

You either do your deal when Detroit and LA did, or you wait until after the Super Bowl.   I’m confident that’s why Ballard said “No trade announcement today!” on Friday.    Whoever makes the deal with Philly has to wait until sometime next week. 

On 2/6/2021 at 4:31 AM, Smonroe said:

Great summary @EastStreet and @Superman!  Much appreciated.  

The more I think about it, the more I think Jameis could work with Reich coaching him.  

I think Winston is fixable in a more controlled O scheme. Since his breakout year in college, he's had pretty risky OCs/schemes to work with. He's got the talent, just not sure he's going to be able to re-work his game. Reich would be a good coach/scheme to attempt a fix. Regardless, it would be a dice roll, but so are a lot of the names floating around. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think Winston is fixable in a more controlled O scheme. Since his breakout year in college, he's had pretty risky OCs/schemes to work with. He's got the talent, just not sure he's going to be able to re-work his game. Reich would be a good coach/scheme to attempt a fix. Regardless, it would be a dice roll, but so are a lot of the names floating around. 

Sounds like the Saints are going wrap him up anyway.  I’d go with Fitz and JE and save the draft picks.  But Ballard knows best!

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Sounds like the Saints are going wrap him up anyway.  I’d go with Fitz and JE and save the draft picks.  But Ballard knows best!

I could see NO working out for him. It's a good landing spot if they give him a chance. Personally, if I'm SP, I try it out a year. If the team tanks, then they have better draft pick. This year, they've got one of the worst collections of draft picks/capital in the league. Only 3 picks, but at least they are 28, 60, and 124. I'd bet they try to trade back to get more, assuming they don't get some additional capital via trades.

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I could see NO working out for him. It's a good landing spot if they give him a chance. Personally, if I'm SP, I try it out a year. If the team tanks, then they have better draft pick. This year, they've got one of the worst collections of draft picks/capital in the league. Only 3 picks, but at least they are 28, 60, and 124. I'd bet they try to trade back to get more, assuming they don't get some additional capital via trades.

Makes you wonder why they paid Hill so much

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I agree. I think Winston stays and becomes Brees' clear heir apparent. For purposes of our discussions as far as the Colts future QB, I'd treat him as off the market. 

26 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I agree. I think Winston stays and becomes Brees' clear heir apparent. For purposes of our discussions as far as the Colts future QB, I'd treat him as off the market. 

I wouldn't go as far to assume he's off the market. Saints cap is bad, so they can't offer him a lot. Not saying he'll get big offers elsewhere, but at this point, there's just to much movement to assume. My gut says that is what will happen though. But honestly nothing would surprise me this year. 

Archived