Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: What number will Wentz wear? (merge)


Recommended Posts

If Pittman and Wentz have bad blood isnt it kind of odd for them to be hanging out in California throwing the ball around?

The answer is:  No bad blood exists, its just the media cooking up drama for some clicks.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or how about Wentz take number 7 and he and Pittman go with the 7/11 "Always Open" catch phrase.  The fact that he reached out was a clear sign that he wanted the number.  It's good that he's not gonn

Breaking news.   Wentz texted Blue inquiring about the number 00.   Blue only sent this in response.   Not sure if this is yes or no however   

Appears the answer is 2.      Super stoked to see he seems to have gotten the very first one. 

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

- I am glad that M.Pittman took a stand in wanting the 11 number

- I am glad that Wentz was cool about it

 

BUT

 

IMO, the ultimate decision belongs with the Colts management, namely Ballard/Irsay BECAUSE:

1- The Team assigns the number. They can also change the assigned numbers like they recently did last year.

2- There maybe contractual obligations in the original Philadelphia contract with Carson that this number be permanently assigned to Carson Wentz.  Contracts can be altered so it is not a show stopper.

3- Number 11 with Wentz is a marketing brand which may have value in the eyes of the Colts marketing.

 

Historically speaking, HOF QB's have changed jersey number when they moved on from their original team:  Joe Montana was #16 (49ers)  then #19 (KC),  Unitas was #19 (Colts) then #16 (Chargers)

If Carson changes number and becomes a HOF with the Colts, then that is the number that will be retired in the HOF. 

Unitas wore #19 for the Chargers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Superman said:

Do we need a new thread for this?

 

 

 

This is a very important topic.  

 

11 is a prime number and deserves its own thread.  I'm about to start a thread on 97.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

- I am glad that M.Pittman took a stand in wanting the 11 number

- I am glad that Wentz was cool about it

 

BUT

 

IMO, the ultimate decision belongs with the Colts management, namely Ballard/Irsay BECAUSE:

1- The Team assigns the number. They can also change the assigned numbers like they recently did last year.

2- There maybe contractual obligations in the original Philadelphia contract with Carson that this number be permanently assigned to Carson Wentz.  Contracts can be altered so it is not a show stopper.

3- Number 11 with Wentz is a marketing brand which may have value in the eyes of the Colts marketing.

 

Historically speaking, HOF QB's have changed jersey number when they moved on from their original team:  Joe Montana was #16 (49ers)  then #19 (KC),  Unitas was #19 (Colts) then #16 (Chargers)

If Carson changes number and becomes a HOF with the Colts, then that is the number that will be retired in the HOF. 

 

Merged.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Superman changed the title to Update: What number will Wentz wear? (merge)
58 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I wouldn't call it weird at all. Pittman took the #11 and now owns it.

Some people can't be bought and it seems Pittman is one of those guys. 

 

I'm just saying usually the younger less accomplished guy would defer to the vet.  That is what I mean by wierd in this case.  Unusual.

 

It's not a judgement on either guy.  It's just an observation. 

 

I hope Wentz was like man I don't care about the number.  That is a great way to ingratiate himself to the new team.  At the same time, I'd hope Pitt would also have some leeway, like Dude I'd really like to keep the number, but understand if you want it.

 

And giving a number to a vet is not the same as selling yourself IMO.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hope Wentz was like man I don't care about the number.  That is a great way to ingratiate himself to the new team.  At the same time, I'd hope Pitt would also have some leeway, like Dude I'd really like to keep the number, but understand if you want it.

 

There's a precedent for this. If a new player is interested in swapping numbers, they reach out and discuss it. Usually there's an exchange of some kind. I wouldn't think any player would just say 'yeah, you can have my number,' unless he wanted to change his number anyway. You negotiate.

 

In 2019, we signed Justin Houston, who wore #50 in KC. Anthony Walker wore #50 at the time, so Houston picked #99. Then in 2020, we traded for Deforest Buckner, who wore #99 in SF. Walker switched to #54, Houston switched to #50, Buckner took #99. Apparently, there was some kind of deal between the three players.

 

Pittman's version of the story is Wentz asked, Pittman said he wanted to keep #11, Wentz said 'that's cool.' Then they moved on.

 

If it were more important to Wentz, I would think he would have offered something to Pittman. Apparently, he did not. 

 

IMO, this is really overblown. Even the potential for it to be an issue is overblown. Two grown men had a conversation that apparently went well, and reached an agreement. There is zero indication that either of them has negative feelings about it. 

 

We can speculate all we want, but people are really latching on to this as if it's a thing, when apparently it's not a thing at all.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

There's a precedent for this. If a new player is interested in swapping numbers, they reach out and discuss it. Usually there's an exchange of some kind. I wouldn't think any player would just say 'yeah, you can have my number,' unless he wanted to change his number anyway. You negotiate.

 

In 2019, we signed Justin Houston, who wore #50 in KC. Anthony Walker wore #50 at the time, so Houston picked #99. Then in 2020, we traded for Deforest Buckner, who wore #99 in SF. Walker switched to #54, Houston switched to #50, Buckner took #99. Apparently, there was some kind of deal between the three players.

 

Pittman's version of the story is Wentz asked, Pittman said he wanted to keep #11, Wentz said 'that's cool.' Then they moved on.

 

If it were more important to Wentz, I would think he would have offered something to Pittman. Apparently, he did not. 

 

IMO, this is really overblown. Even the potential for it to be an issue is overblown. Two grown men had a conversation that apparently went well, and reached an agreement. There is zero indication that either of them has negative feelings about it. 

 

We can speculate all we want, but people are really latching on to this as if it's a thing, when apparently it's not a thing at all.

It's just unusual that's all.    I honestly think people are making too much of people making too much of it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I honestly think people are making too much of people making too much of it.

 

How paradoxical is that?

 

Quote

It's just unusual that's all. 

 

Not really.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you think of any other case when an incoming vet 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

How paradoxical is that?

 

 

Not really.

Can you  cite an example when a Vet highly paid QB came in to be the starter and was not offered his old number? 

 

I'll answer that for you.

 

No you can't.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

This is a very important topic.  

 

11 is a prime number and deserves its own thread.  I'm about to start a thread on 97.

 

No, all threads on numerals should be merged.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if one day ALL THREADS are merged into one. :funny:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Can you  cite an example when a Vet highly paid QB came in to be the starter and was not offered his old number? 

 

I'll answer that for you.

 

No you can't.

 

This is textbook. Shrink the parameters so narrowly that there's no possible way to offer an alternative. Well done.

 

Let me ask you this: When has a highly paid veteran QB been traded at/around 28 years old, to a team where his number was already worn by another player?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

This is textbook. Shrink the parameters so narrowly that there's no possible way to offer an alternative. Well done.

 

Let me ask you this: When has a highly paid veteran QB been traded at/around 28 years old, to a team where his number was already worn by another player?

Jeebus SUPERMAN.  I really don't understand your angle here.  

 

Here is the first definition I came to on the internet of usual.

 

usual-habitually or typically occurring or done; customary.

 

You are going to actually disagree that starting QBs that get traded to teams are usally customarily offered their old number?

 

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/24/indianapolis-colts-michael-pittman-carson-wentz-tennessee-titans-a-j-brown/

 

Here's an article today from a WR vastly more accomplished than Pittman that tends to raise an eyebrow at this too.

 

Now I don't know if you've been in this thread for a while.  I haven't been on the forum much, and I simply said in about the 4th post of a thread that I thought it was unusual.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

This is textbook. Shrink the parameters so narrowly that there's no possible way to offer an alternative. Well done.

 

Let me ask you this: When has a highly paid veteran QB been traded at/around 28 years old, to a team where his number was already worn by another player?

It’s also not true, even with the Colts.  Jim Harbaugh wore number 12 his first year in Indy when he was signed to become the starting QB from the Bears before changing to his normal number 4 the following season because Dean Biasucci already had number 4 when Harbaugh got to Indy and left after 1994 in free agency.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s also not true, even with the Colts.  Jim Harbaugh wore number 12 his first year in Indy when he was signed to become the starting QB from the Bears before changing to his normal number 4 the following season because Dean Biasucci already had number 4 when Harbaugh got to Indy and left after 1994 in free agency.

Did Dean offer the number to Harbaugh? harbabuth BTW was signed for 700 Grand which was very low even in those days for a starter.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Jeebus SUPERMAN.  I really don't understand your angle here.  

 

Here is the first definition I came to on the internet of usual.

 

usual-habitually or typically occurring or done; customary.

 

You are going to actually disagree that starting QBs that get traded to teams are usally customarily offered their old number?

 

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/24/indianapolis-colts-michael-pittman-carson-wentz-tennessee-titans-a-j-brown/

 

Here's an article today from a WR vastly more accomplished than Pittman that tends to raise an eyebrow at this too.

 

Now I don't know if you've been in this thread for a while.  I haven't been on the forum much, and I simply said in about the 4th post of a thread that I thought it was unusual.

 

It's not unusual for a player to switch numbers when he joins a new team.

 

If you shrink the parameters to only include veteran QBs who were previously MVP candidates on former SB teams, who are traded between the ages of 27 and 29 to a team where their previous number is already in use, who have more than three years left on their contract, were born in North Carolina but didn't attend a D1 college, then yeah, it's only happened to Carson Wentz. How rare!

 

This is called cherry picking.

 

Also, you didn't "simply" say it was unusual. You said more than that. And just like everyone else, you're entitled to your opinion, and you've stated that opinion. Now that I'm stating my disagreement with that opinion, you're acting like you don't really care. Instead, the problem is that I care about how much you care, and if I didn't care so much about how you care, the amount you care wouldn't be an issue. Have your opinion, state your opinion; don't be surprised when someone who disagrees decides to respond. 

  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

It's not unusual for a player to switch numbers when he joins a new team.

 

If you shrink the parameters to only include veteran QBs who were previously MVP candidates on former SB teams, who are traded between the ages of 27 and 29 to a team where their previous number is already in use, who have more than three years left on their contract, were born in North Carolina but didn't attend a D1 college, then yeah, it's only happened to Carson Wentz. How rare!

 

This is called cherry picking.

 

Also, you didn't "simply" say it was unusual. You said more than that. And just like everyone else, you're entitled to your opinion, and you've stated that opinion. Now that I'm stating my disagreement with that opinion, you're acting like you don't really care. Instead, the problem is that I care about how much you care, and if I didn't care so much about how you care, the amount you care wouldn't be an issue. Have your opinion, state your opinion; don't be surprised when someone who disagrees decides to respond. 


OK Supe.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

What would you expect ? MPJ went to the University of Spoiled Children (USC)

We got some fans calling Wentz a diva for wanting it and some calling MPJ spoiled for keeping it.  Sounds about right for here.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Must of been pretty bad to get replaced by a 6th round pick haha

Yeah,    crazy how that went down.   Tom's first game as a starter was a win against the Colts.   The rest is history

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Any fan who is making anything out of this  just loves drama. MPJ just said Wentz didn't care and they are going to be practicing together this offseason. What else is there to discuss?

Calm and rational thought?  Your asking a lot lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Did Dean offer the number to Harbaugh? harbabuth BTW was signed for 700 Grand which was very low even in those days for a starter.  

No,   he told him on Twitter that he couldn't have it.   It was crazy town around here

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Calm and rational thought?  Your asking a lot lol.

Colts fans are pretty good at that as far as I've been around compared to other sports teams I've followed. Let's just say if this same situation happened in another fanbase, they would've been far more toxic about it.

 

I'm very much willing to bet nonsense like this is what Philly sports radio gobbled up and regurgitated to eventually make Carson out to be this 'horrible' teammate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, coltsva said:

I'd prefer Wentz not even ask for it. Let Pittman offer it. If Pitt doesn't offer it up, don't bring it up and pick another number.

Asking isn't a big deal.  In life, it's only ever unwise to ask a question that, deep down, you dont want to know the answer to.  Wentz asked Pitt said no, I suspect both parties have moved on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

Can this topic be stopped now? It’s crazy that it has gone on this long after MPJ and Wentz are both cool with it. 

It'll go on til the league year starts unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The point of this thread, was more about the future in general in terms of the equality of the young men being added. There are several places that predictions of the record and the schedule are being discussed.    I agree with the OP....Ballard is assembling special young men to the great franchise, the Colts. High on effort, talent, and intelligence, with old school humility. Future is bright indeed. 
    • Without looking at the link first what percentage of runs do you think the Colts did last year? I was quite surprised. I was just as surprised that Baltimore led the league with their percentage.   NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Rushing Attempts per Game | TeamRankings.com https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game   There will never be another team that runs it an absurd 70% of the time like the 72 Dolphins, but I would definitely like to see our percentage  go up, especially with the RBs we have. I guess 40% seems really high considering what we did last year, and what Baltimore led the league with, but what the heck. If we're able to stay on the field running it 40% of the time we will be hosting the Lombardi next February so 40% is my final answer. Although I realize it will never happen.   1972 Miami Dolphins Stats | The Football Database https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/miami-dolphins/stats/1972   And yes I see what TB did and still won the SB, but I like smash mouth football and think we could win one also with it.
    • For reference, here are Ballard's 45 draft picks so far:   2017 | Round 1 | No. 15 overall | S Malik Hooker 2017 | Round 2 | No. 46 overall | CB Quincy Wilson 2017 | Round 3 | No. 80 overall | EDGE Tarrell Basham 2017 | Round 4 | No. 137 overall | OT Zach Banner 2017 | Round 4 | No. 143 overall | RB Marlon Mack 2017 | Round 4 | No. 144 overall | DT Grover Stewart 2017 | Round 5 | No. 158 overall | CB Nate Hairston 2017 | Round 5 | No. 161 overall | LB Anthony Walker Jr. 2018 | Round 1 | No. 6 overall | G Quenton Nelson 2018 | Round 2 | No. 36 overall | LB Darius Leonard 2018 | Round 2 | No. 37 overall | RT Braden Smith 2018 | Round 2 | No. 52 overall | DE Kemoko Turay 2018 | Round 2 | No. 64 overall | DL Tyquan Lewis 2018 | Round 4 | No. 104 overall | RB Nyheim Hines 2018 | Round 5 | No. 159 overall | WR Daurice Fountain 2018 | Round 5 | No. 169 overall | RB Jordan Wilkins 2018 | Round 6 | No. 185 overall | WR Deon Cain 2018 | Round 7 | No. 221 overall | LB Matthew Adams 2018 | Round 7 | No. 235 overall | LB Zaire Franklin 2019 | Round 2 | No. 34 overall | CB Rock Ya-Sin 2019 | Round 2 | No. 49 overall | DE Ben Banogu 2019 | Round 2 | No. 59 overall | WR Parris Campbell 2019 | Round 3 | No. 89 overall | LB Bobby Okereke 2019 | Round 4 | No. 109 overall | S Khari Willis 2019 | Round 5 | No. 144 overall | CB Marvell Tell 2019 | Round 5 | No. 164 overall | LB E.J. Speed 2019 | Round 6 | No. 199 overall | DE Gerri Green 2019 | Round 7 | No. 240 overall | OT Jackson Barton 2019 | Round 7 | No. 246 overall | C/G Javon Patterson 2020 | Round 2 | No. 34 overall | WR Michael Pittman Jr. 2020 | Round 2 | No. 41 overall | RB Jonathan Taylor 2020 | Round 3 | No. 85 overall | S Julian Blackmon 2020 | Round 4 | No. 122 overall | QB Jacob Eason 2020 | Round 5 | No. 149 overall | G Danny Pinter 2020 | Round 6 | No. 193 overall | DE Rob Windsor 2020 | Round 6 | No. 211 overall | CB Isaiah Rodgers 2020 | Round 6 | No. 212 overall | WR Dezmon Patmon 2020 | Round 6 | No. 213 overall | LB Jordan Glasgow 2021 | Round 1 | No. 21 overall | DE Kwity Paye 2021 | Round 2 | No. 54 overall | DE Dayo Odeyingbo 2021 | Round 4 | No. 127 overall | TE Kylen Granson 2021 | Round 5 | No. 165 overall | S Shawn Davis 2021 | Round 6 | No. 218 overall | QB Sam Ehlinger 2021 | Round 7 | No. 229 overall | WR Michael Strachan 2021 | Round 7 | No. 248 overall | OT Will Fries
    • I think it is a tough schedule any way you look at it.  
    • I was wrong.   The Cardinals got swept by the Padres.   Only lost 1 game in the division though, which is good.
  • Members

    • Lancer1

      Lancer1 829

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Barry Sears

      Barry Sears 1,374

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Knuckles79

      Knuckles79 76

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ztboiler

      ztboiler 314

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mitch Connors

      Mitch Connors 346

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DynaMike

      DynaMike 34

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 5,269

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SC-Coltsfan

      SC-Coltsfan 94

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 2,997

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtMan

      ColtMan 3

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...