Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: What number will Wentz wear? (merge)

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or how about Wentz take number 7 and he and Pittman go with the 7/11 "Always Open" catch phrase.  The fact that he reached out was a clear sign that he wanted the number.  It's good that he's not gonn

Breaking news.   Wentz texted Blue inquiring about the number 00.   Blue only sent this in response.   Not sure if this is yes or no however   

Appears the answer is 2.      Super stoked to see he seems to have gotten the very first one. 

Posted Images

He should just wear number 1.  "Sunday funday" folks like myself will be bleary, squinting, and seeing "11" by the time Dungy recaps the day on SNF anyway.......problem solved......of course the highlight film will have Pittman wearing 1111........

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah I agree, not a very good start.

Not sure how their conversation went, I know how Pittman said it went, but I can't imagine that is a good start for a guy that has been reported to have some issues with teammates.

Just give him #11 Pittman, you would think a WR would want his QB to be happy. Start the relationship off on the right foot. This was definitely left footed move.

Actually makes me question Pittman a little bit.

Most guys just willingly offer it, don't even make them ask. Still receive a little monetary fee for the act, but offer it up.

He has no real attachment to the number outside of playing this one season with it, in which wasn't even the original number he started with.

Hopefully this is something they can move past quickly.

Just seem like a real questionable move to me. Hopefully Carson is really good with it.

Wow way to speculate... BTW you are way off. Carson haven't shown anything to "demand" his number, attachment or not. If theres bad blood because of this its on Wentz not Pitmann.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah I agree, not a very good start.

Not sure how their conversation went, I know how Pittman said it went, but I can't imagine that is a good start for a guy that has been reported to have some issues with teammates.

Just give him #11 Pittman, you would think a WR would want his QB to be happy. Start the relationship off on the right foot. This was definitely left footed move.

Actually makes me question Pittman a little bit.

Most guys just willingly offer it, don't even make them ask. Still receive a little monetary fee for the act, but offer it up.

He has no real attachment to the number outside of playing this one season with it, in which wasn't even the original number he started with.

Hopefully this is something they can move past quickly.

Just seem like a real questionable move to me. Hopefully Carson is really good with it.

I actually like it from Pitt. He's under no obligation to give it up. If Wentz is going to be successful in Indy, he's going to need to earn his stripes. If he's going to come in thinking he is entitled to anything, it's not going to work out. Pittman earned that number last season. It's up to Wentz to earn his own.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Superman said:

Watch the video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCVOV5DxKg

There's no evidence that there's any bad blood. Here's what Pittman said:

My exact words below:

"Not sure how their conversation went, I know how Pittman said it went"

Didn't say there was any bad blood either. I said its not a good start for a guy rumored to have issues with teammates and  I said hopefully Wentz is really ok with it, as stated by Pittman.

Doubt Wentz will come out and say much different about it, but that doesn't mean he internally he is happy about it. He might be though, just far from my ideal first interaction between the two. Not something as a fan you like to hear about your new QB on first few news worthy moments, would hope there would be no hiccups, and there might not be, but would of liked to hear about a seem less move.(meaning if Wentz wanted #11, Pittman would've given it to him)

My point was a young WR with no real attachment to the number, should've been the one to offer it up before even being asked.

He has no obligation to do so @Mackrel829, but extend an olive branch to the guy you(Pittman, and rest of team) are hoping can come in and be our franchise QB for years to come.

9 hours ago, Robin said:

Wow way to speculate... BTW you are way off. Carson haven't shown anything to "demand" his number, attachment or not. If theres bad blood because of this its on Wentz not Pitmann.

See above

I still think #2 would be best on number switch.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Not for us. But for Wentz, we don't know how much it means to him since he wore #11 in North Dakota State and with the Eagles. It is hard to gauge that.

It also seems it's a Big Deal for Pittman since he says it's not for sale AND keeping it.

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

My exact words below:

"Not sure how their conversation went, I know how Pittman said it went"

Didn't say there was any bad blood either. I said its not a good start for a guy rumored to have issues with teammates and  I said hopefully Wentz is really ok with it, as stated by Pittman.

Doubt Wentz will come out and say much different about it, but that doesn't mean he internally he is happy about it. He might be though, just far from my ideal first interaction between the two. Not something as a fan you like to hear about your new QB on first few news worthy moments, would hope there would be no hiccups, and there might not be, but would of liked to hear about a seem less move.(meaning if Wentz wanted #11, Pittman would've given it to him)

My point was a young WR with no real attachment to the number, should've been the one to offer it up before even being asked.

He has no obligation to do so @Mackrel829, but extend an olive branch to the guy you(Pittman, and rest of team) are hoping can come in and be our franchise QB for years to come.

See above

WRs love those lower numbers now. Pitt is definitely under no obligation...but it is interesting that he declined.

If Pitt did give it up...you know most people would make a thing about it...about how Pitt's character is really strong and the locker room culture is top notch.

Instead, he says "nope I'm good" and it's not a big deal at all.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not something as a fan you like to hear about your new QB on first few news worthy moments, would hope there would be no hiccups

Why does this qualify as a hiccup?

• Like 5

Seems like people are making this conversation a bigger deal than it actually was.
He asked about the number, Pittman said he was gonna keep it. Wentz said cool I’ll pick another. 

Pretty simple, no drama, no hiccup, no bad blood. Everyone trying to read into every little thing Wentz says 

• Like 6
Just now, Zoltan said:

Seems like people are making this conversation a bigger deal than it actually was.
He asked about the number, Pittman said he was gonna keep it. Wentz said cool I’ll pick another. 

Pretty simple, no drama, no hiccup, no bad blood. Everyone trying to read into every little thing Wentz says 

Such a non story

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why does this qualify as a hiccup?

1 hour ago, w87r said:

would hope there would be no hiccups, and there might not be,

:dunno:

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

WRs love those lower numbers now. Pitt is definitely under no obligation...but it is interesting that he declined.

If Pitt did give it up...you know most people would make a thing about it...about how Pitt's character is really strong and the locker room culture is top notch.

Instead, he says "nope I'm good" and it's not a big deal at all.

I agree with your thoughts on Pittman and what Pitts character perception would be if he did. On the same line of thinking it could lead to thoughts the other way as well.

That is my biggest question about the whole thing. Everyone quoting me seems to want to make the BIG deal about it. So it's whatever. I simply said I would of liked for Pittman to give up the number, if Wentz wanted it, to extend the initial olive branch and welcome our new face of the offense to the team. 

Maybe nothing bad did come out of him declining? Maybe it did, but that is the only thing that could've happened(something bad).

Nothing bad, could've came from him giving up the number, would of just been smooth sailing(non news worthy) and made Wentz feel a little more welcome, coming in before actually joining the team.

It still might not be news worthy, but the fact is, I have seen it just about everywhere.(the fact he didn't give up his number). So, it technically is news worthy.

This response isn't directed towards you, just all the responses.

55 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Everyone?

The only ones making a big deal out of it are the ones continually quoting my post. 

And my point remains, still don't feel like it was a "good" start for the reasoning in my response to shasta in this post above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes I did.   No reason to post the AJ brown tweet that he deleted unless you thought it was a big deal

The reason was because even if something isn't a big deal, it doesn't take much to make it a big deal. Like a small tweet from a fellow competitor.

Something as small.as a tweet from someone can flip the whole perspective of something.

I hope its all good, probably is.

Just would of liked as a fan to see early returns on then situation to have less risk of something bad happening.

Talks have occured that Wentz is broken, not just physically but mentally, so any chance to start that off a little smoother the better.

Just think Pittman giving him the number would of been a nice welcoming gift from a guy who I'm sure hopes to catch a lot of passes from Wentz.

I personally think like a few post here, that it would be better off to switch numbers and start fresh.

#2 still makes sense to me, now for 3rd reason.

1. 2nd overall pick

2. Same number as Hurts

3. 2nd chance here in Indy

5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It would be a very nice gesture for pittman to just give it up to welcome wentz to the colts .  ITs just a number pittman seems a little immature about it , hopefully he gives it to wentz as a welcome gift. 

This.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It would be a very nice gesture for pittman to just give it up to welcome wentz to the colts .  ITs just a number pittman seems a little immature about it , hopefully he gives it to wentz as a welcome gift. 

Why?  It's Pittmans number .  It was Wentz number in Philly.   He isn't in Philly anymore.   I don't see why Pittman would give it up.   Maybe Pittman has endorsement deals with him in that number,   maybe it's his mom's favorite number.   It doesn't really matter.   The number is his.  It's not like Wentz is a hall of fame player coming in.   

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, w87r said:

The reason was because even if something isn't a big deal, it doesn't take much to make it a big deal. Like a small tweet from a fellow competitor.

Something as small.as a tweet from someone can flip the whole perspective of something.

I hope its all good, probably is.

Just would of liked as a fan to see early returns on then situation to have less risk of something bad happening.

Talks have occured that Wentz is broken, not just physically but mentally, so any chance to start that off a little smoother the better.

Just think Pittman giving him the number would of been a nice welcoming gift from a guy who I'm sure hopes to catch a lot of passes from Wentz.

I personally think like a few post here, that it would be better off to switch numbers and start fresh.

#2 still makes sense to me, now for 3rd reason.

1. 2nd overall pick

2. Same number as Hurts

3. 2nd chance here in Indy

This.

If carson was tom Brady or peyton manning I might agree.   He isn't.   He is a guy trying to re start his career.   I see him and pittman on equal ground.   What if his number was 18 in Philly?  Do you think Irsay let's him wear it?    There is a good chance Pittman spends his entire career here and Wentz flames out.  Wentz is in no position to upset the apple cart.  And to be fair,  there is no evidence he is trying to do so.   Only fans trying to make something out of nothing

• Like 1

I hope Pittman understands how much his pass-catching career is going to depend on Wentz throwing him the ball (or not).

Do the smart thing and give the QB his favorite number 11, or be a stubborn jerk and suffer the consequences.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There is a good chance Pittman spends his entire career here and Wentz flames out. 

Lets hope not. Sure not what I'm hoping for at this point, or what I'm expecting.

There is just as good of chance that Pittman leaves after rookie deal and Wentz is our

QB next 10 seasons.

If I had to choose 1 of those, I would be taking the 2nd option, hands down.

Hopefully both play here the next 7-10yrs.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If carson was tom Brady or peyton manning I might agree.   He isn't.   He is a guy trying to re start his career.   I see him and pittman on equal ground. 

No one is even saying Carson deserves it.

Like I've said, I just think it would of been a big time move for Pittman to of initiated the conversation in the first place. 

Be like " welcome to the team Carson, you want #11?". "Can't wait to get out there and get to work with you"

Boom, Carson already feels welcome. Excited about building new connections. I'm sure he is anyway, this was just an opportunity to give it a little boost from the jump. 

Again, it might not be an issue, but this was the best route to ensure it wasn't. Only something bad could of happened by refusing to give him the number.

Doesn't seem to be the case, but it opened up the opportunity for it. 

That's it, don't know how many more ways to say it?

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Lets hope not. Sure not what I'm hoping for at this point, or what I'm expecting.

There is just as good of chance that Pittman leaves after rookie deal and Wentz is our

QB next 10 seasons.

If I had to choose 1 of those, I would be taking the 2nd option, hands down.

Hopefully both play here the next 7-10yrs.

No one is even saying Carson deserves it.

Like I've said, I just think it would of been a big time move for Pittman to of initiated the conversation in the first place. 

Be like " welcome to the team Carson, you want #11?". "Can't wait to get out there and get to work with you"

Boom, Carson already feels welcome. Excited about building new connections. I'm sure he is anyway, this was just an opportunity to give it a little boost from the jump. 

Again, it might not be an issue, but this was the best route to ensure it wasn't. Only something bad could of happened by refusing to give him the number.

Doesn't seem to be the case, but it opened up the opportunity for it. 

That's it, don't know how many more ways to say it?

You continue to to find ways to defend the fact that you don't think it's a big deal.    Why?   It's a non story.   

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You continue to to find ways to defend the fact that you don't think it's a big deal.    Why?   It's a non story.   

Because people(you recently) keep quoting me, as if I am making it a big deal.

Which is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

I expressed my opinion on why I thought what I thought(that Pittman should of just gave him the number), and that has been made a bigger deal than the jersey number issue in the first place.

So are you able to defense why you continue to make it a big deal(by continually quoting me) while you are claiming its a non story?

Just move on, I keep trying. Go over to the Houston thread, we agree over there. I will meet you there. :thmup:

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Because people(you recently) keep quoting me, as if I am making it a big deal.

Which is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

I expressed my opinion on why I thought what I thought(that Pittman should of just gave him the number), and that has been made a bigger deal than the jersey number issue in the first place.

So are you able to defense why you continue to make it a big deal(by continually quoting me) while you are claiming its a non story?

Just move on, I keep trying. Go over to the Houston thread, we agree over there. I will meet you there. :thmup:

Dude,   I'm a fan of your posts.   I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you.     Keep doing what you're doing.   Once in a while I will have a different take.   That's ok

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dude,   I'm a fan of your posts.   I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you.     Keep doing what you're doing.   Once in a while I will have a different take.   That's ok

Appreciate it.

It is definitely ok to not agree on things, just feel we are going in circles here. Only reason I suggested we move on from here.

I appreciate different opinions as well, that's why I am here. To converse with people that think differently and can open your(mine) minds to other possibilities.

• Like 1

- I am glad that M.Pittman took a stand in wanting the 11 number

- I am glad that Wentz was cool about it

BUT

IMO, the ultimate decision belongs with the Colts management, namely Ballard/Irsay BECAUSE:

1- The Team assigns the number. They can also change the assigned numbers like they recently did last year.

2- There maybe contractual obligations in the original Philadelphia contract with Carson that this number be permanently assigned to Carson Wentz.  Contracts can be altered so it is not a show stopper.

3- Number 11 with Wentz is a marketing brand which may have value in the eyes of the Colts marketing.

Historically speaking, HOF QB's have changed jersey number when they moved on from their original team:  Joe Montana was #16 (49ers)  then #19 (KC),  Unitas was #19 (Colts) then #16 (Chargers)

If Carson changes number and becomes a HOF with the Colts, then that is the number that will be retired in the HOF. 

I don't see how a team can require one player to give up his number for another player. 

Pittman is 100% justified in saying no to Wentz's request. Wentz isn't a HOF player. 

Now, if he wore Brady's or River's number, he would be an * to keep the number if they asked.

I think Wentz should settle for a new No.# like #12 or 17.  He's the new kid on the block, and his not privilege to push for a # he had in College or in the Pros and besides Pittman is dedicated in his #11 as he has stated.....

1 minute ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think Wentz should settle for a new No.# like #12 or 17.  He's the new kid on the block, and his not privilege to push for a # he had in College or in the Pros and besides Pittman is dedicated in his #11 as he has stated.....

Wentz should pick 4 since he makes magical  plays like farve at times

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I actually think it's kind of wierd for a 2nd year player not willing to give up an incoming highly paid QB the option of buying the number.

I wouldn't call it weird at all. Pittman took the #11 and now owns it.

Some people can't be bought and it seems Pittman is one of those guys. 

• Superman changed the title to Update: What number will Wentz wear? (merge)