Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: What number will Wentz wear? (merge)

chrisbeldridge

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

JB was over paid without a doubt. He is worth more like 12 to 15 mil a year. We were in a tough spot, but the man didn't deserve that pay.

Do the math.    JB got a two year deal for 30 million total.   There’s the $15 million you just wrote he’d be worth.    It just wasn’t divided up evenly. 

He was paid to be our starter for two years.   It didn’t work out that way.   But we were so far below the cap that it didn’t matter.  We still could have signed anyone we wanted.  The JB deal deal didn’t hurt the franchise at all. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do the math.    JB got a two year deal for 30 million total.   There’s the $15 million you just wrote he’d be worth.    It just wasn’t divided up evenly. 

He was paid to be our starter for two years.   It didn’t work out that way.   But we were so far below the cap that it didn’t matter.  We still could have signed anyone we wanted.  The JB deal deal didn’t hurt the franchise at all. 

Confused Thinking GIF

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For some reason there are still people who don't get it regarding JB's contract. For one it didn't hurt the team at all as we were way under the Salary Cap when we signed him (for only 2 years), two - we still could've signed another big time Free Agent. JB's contract is now off the books and like you said he basically did make 15 Mill a year, not 20 Mill like some make it out to be.

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

@Valpo2004

Darnold is the better option because of his contract. 

What does it matter if he isn't any dang good?  

Hell they can sign me for the NFL minimum and that contract would be even better than Darnold's.  

I want to get a player who's shown actual quality play.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Who is left that fits the bill?  

Lets see of the people suspected to be available.

My first tier are:

Watson

Carson Wentz

Matt Ryan

Second tier players

Kirk Cousins

Teddy Bridgewater

Third Tier Players (If we go this low than there should be an open competition in camp with Easton)

Winston

Newton

Turbiski

Darnold

I am not counting Stafford or Prescott because the former has already been traded and the latter seems unlikely to leave Dallas.  But if I was counting them I would consider them first tier players.

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Lets see of the people suspected to be available.

My first tier are:

Watson

Carson Wentz

Matt Ryan

Second tier players

Kirk Cousins

I have not heard that Matt Ryan and Cousins are actually up for trade.  I would be ok with Wentz but the price has to be right and getting him for that may not be easy

Would love to get Watson, I doubt they trade him here until he shows he really will sit out and no one else will match our offer.  

Just now, aaron11 said:

I have not heard that Matt Ryan and Cousins are actually up for trade.  I would be ok with Wentz but the price has to be right and getting him for that may not be easy

Would love to get Watson, I doubt they trade him here until he shows he really will sit out and no one else will match our offer.  

To be clear I am not saying I want Wentz so bad that I'm willing to give up 2 1sts for him.  

I think I might go with like a 1st and a 3rd being my highest offer.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

To be clear I am not saying I want Wentz so bad that I'm willing to give up 2 1sts for him.  

Im kind of torn on what to offer for Carson, glad its not my job to get this done lol

I wonder if it would crazy to call the bears and see what they say, rather than let the Eagles play us against each other 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Im kind of torn on what to offer for Carson, glad its not my job to get this done lol

I wonder if it would crazy to call the bears and see what they say, rather than let the Eagles play us against each other 

The weird thing about the Bears going after Wentz is that they are in the red in terms of cap space.  

If they are going to bring in Wentz they are going to have to dump some contracts off their books.  

Latest Rumors on Wentz:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/02/as-eagles-dawdle-on-carson-wentz-trade-bears-grow-impatient.html

As Eagles dawdle on Carson Wentz trade, Bears grow impatient

Updated 2/9/2021 7:53 PM

...A person with knowledge of the Eagles’ negotiations -- who was granted anonymity so he could speak freely on an impending trade -- told NJ Advance Media the potential trade partners have remained “disciplined” in negotiations, unwilling to meet the Eagles’ demands.

“They don’t want to give (Wentz) up for much less than (the Matthew Stafford haul),” another person with knowledge of the negotiations told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday. The Detroit Lions sent Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for the Rams’ first-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023, a third-round pick in 2021, and quarterback Jared Goff.

The Indianapolis Colts have asked for additional compensation -- a player, players or picks -- along with Wentz in order to get close to the Eagles’ demands, according to a third person with knowledge of negotiations, who also was granted anonymity. That person said another undisclosed Eagles player has been brought up in discussions.

There’s a sense that the Chicago Bears -- another interested party -- are growing impatient, one of the sources said. According to the person, the Bears believe the Eagles have overvalued Wentz...

At first I didn't want Wentz because of all the rumors and injury prone comments floating around, but after watching a lot of videos, I really like him on our team. Wentz would thrive in the Colts ecosystem with the support system that the team offers. Its very enticing. We have seen how he balled out in 2017 and we have seen how terrible he could be. Have we seen both his ceiling and floor? Maybe. I think we have seen the worst of Wentz. There is no way he could play any worse. If he could just play somewhere in between, we could be alright. Remember CB said that we only need "good" QB play. We don't need "excellent" but it would be epic to see Wentz return to 2017 form. Wentz could potentially even surpass that and go off into Mahomes like play. This is the time when Wentz is entering his prime and I'm all for it. 

As for jersey number:

He could get 11 only if he offer Pittman a hunny bun. 100 stacks and a Rolex should do it.

Number 1, 4, 7, and possibly 12 

15 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Latest Rumors on Wentz:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/02/as-eagles-dawdle-on-carson-wentz-trade-bears-grow-impatient.html

As Eagles dawdle on Carson Wentz trade, Bears grow impatient

Updated 2/9/2021 7:53 PM

...A person with knowledge of the Eagles’ negotiations -- who was granted anonymity so he could speak freely on an impending trade -- told NJ Advance Media the potential trade partners have remained “disciplined” in negotiations, unwilling to meet the Eagles’ demands.

“They don’t want to give (Wentz) up for much less than (the Matthew Stafford haul),” another person with knowledge of the negotiations told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday. The Detroit Lions sent Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for the Rams’ first-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023, a third-round pick in 2021, and quarterback Jared Goff.

The Indianapolis Colts have asked for additional compensation -- a player, players or picks -- along with Wentz in order to get close to the Eagles’ demands, according to a third person with knowledge of negotiations, who also was granted anonymity. That person said another undisclosed Eagles player has been brought up in discussions.

There’s a sense that the Chicago Bears -- another interested party -- are growing impatient, one of the sources said. According to the person, the Bears believe the Eagles have overvalued Wentz...

Bears and Colts are right on this.  He's not Stafford.  Wentz has an injury history (although not in the last 2 years) and he had a bad year last year while Stafford didn't.  Plus Wentz's contract is bigger and riskier than Staffords.  All of that is additional risk that isn't there with Stafford.  

1 hour ago, groundnpound said:

Hey everyone, nice to be here. This is my first post and i want to use it to state that Carson wentz 2020 tape does not lie. Just gross to watch, I couldn't imagine Ballard giving up beloved picks for him.

The 2017, 2018 and 2019 tape on Wentz doesn't lie either.  

On 2/8/2021 at 9:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Didn't really think of it that way. It probably never really stopped us from signing anyone else. I forget it's not money lost once hes off the cap as a free agent.

Im seeing the rumors Colts wanting more players than Wentz.  Could it be Alshon (who Ballard had interest prior and there are rumors he may be a cap hit), or perhaps a TE (Ertz) or a taclke? 
  I was originally afraid of the investment in Wentz in case he doesnt pan out.  However, even with that contract, we’d really only be on the hook for 2 years at about 20M per year.  We could absorb that if he stinks it up.  It wouldnt hurt us long-term other than needing a QB sooner than expected.  Ballard could continue to monitor and look to upgrade position in that period as well.

I’m just not sure what i think Wentz is capable of.  He’s got the physical tools and weapons around him and a good D.  As well as a coach who knows him well.  
  I cant wait to see what Ballard does at QB.   Wentz or no Wentz.

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Im seeing the rumors Colts wanting more players than Wentz.  Could it be Alshon (who Ballard had interest prior and there are rumors he may be a cap hit), or perhaps a TE (Ertz) or a taclke? 
  I was originally afraid of the investment in Wentz in case he doesnt pan out.  However, even with that contract, we’d really only be on the hook for 2 years at about 20M per year.  We could absorb that if he stinks it up.  It wouldnt hurt us long-term other than needing a QB sooner than expected.  Ballard could continue to monitor and look to upgrade position in that period as well.

I’m just not sure what i think Wentz is capable of.  He’s got the physical tools and weapons around him and a good D.  As well as a coach who knows him well.  
  I cant wait to see what Ballard does at QB.   Wentz or no Wentz.

Alshon is one of the reasons for Wentz’ breakdown.  He complained about Wentz throwing to Hurts too much (whereas Foles was more willing to go down the field to his receivers).  Can’t bring in both Wentz & Jeffrey.  In fact, Alshon looks about cooked (well done) these days.

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Bears and Colts are right on this.  He's not Stafford.  Wentz has an injury history (although not in the last 2 years) and he had a bad year last year while Stafford didn't.  Plus Wentz's contract is bigger and riskier than Staffords.  All of that is additional risk that isn't there with Stafford.  

If that 2020 hadn't been so horrific, you may have changed my mind. We aren't getting pre 2020 Carson, cause they wouldn't be trading pre 2020 Carson. Teams try to build around players like that.

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

He’s regressed over all those years too. Plus he’s very tight end reliant (do we have the cast of tight ends where one or the group deserves the most targets on the team?).  I think the league has been figuring him out.  Poor mechanics. Not very accurate (thus the heavy reliance on tight end targets).  Add in the psychological/emotional trauma he’s been through with his backup taking his team and winning the Super Bowl and Wentz has a lot of things to work out to get his game back on track.  

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Jaworski is saying colts offered two 2nd round picks and possibly a 3rd or 4th "down the road"

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/02/11/obsessive-carson-wentz-watch-colts-offer-leaks-as-public-negotiations-continue/

If that is true Ballard don't value him as much as some thought. 

That or there is a player that Ballard is targeting with their 1st. rd. pick? 

On 2/9/2021 at 12:31 PM, Valpo2004 said:

It’s been reported that the Colts have offered two 2s and a possible future 3rd or 4th, somewhere down the road, for Wentz.

So, far, the best offer. Everything within me hopes this isn’t true because it may mean we trade our 1st, to acquire another 2. I just don’t like the way Wentz has handled himself and wonder if he’s got the mental attributes they emphasize. But, if they think they can “fix” him, I guess we’ve got to live with it. He does have a high ceiling.

Here’s the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-legend-shares-best-trade-offer-philadelphia-has-received-for-carson-wentz/amp/

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If that is true Ballard don't value him as much as some thought. 

That or there is a player that Ballard is targeting with their 1st. rd. pick? 

Hopefully AC's replacement. Keep that line young and healthy, there's going to need to be someone cheap on it after Q gets his.

I don’t want wentz and I’m sure there are a number of colts fans in agreement here. Some are trying to justify his last here with by saying he had 2 really great years but for the past 2018, 2019, & 2020 he’s been garbage. Whether or not injuries played a factor those 3 years he’s been terrible. I much would’ve rather had goff than wentz. Atleast Goff shows a modicum of hope. Wentz looks like someone who’s just done. Teams have figured him out. He thinks he’s a combo of Michael Vick (speed), Peyton Manning (accuracy), and mahomes (arm strength). In reality he’s none of those things but I can tell you one thing he does well. He gives teams extra possessions like it’s his job. Some of you think rivers was a TO machine. HA. wait until you see what wentz can do. At this point if the colts don’t draft a QB, I’m really begging Phillip rivers to come out of retirement for one more year. I trust in Ballard. I know he feels the Rams gave up way more than expected for Stafford as well or we probably would’ve gotten him. If he feels wentz is the way to go I’m going to be his biggest critic ever considering the colts are a good qb away from a SB run. I’m really hoping though Ballard is working something out. Colts have the 21st pick still. I’d be shocked if Mac Jones or Kyle trask were taken higher than that. Hopefully one of them is still there.

Eagles Insiders Seem Confident Who Carson Wentz Lands With

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/eagles-insiders-seem-confident-who-carson-wentz-lands-with/

...The Colts are such an obvious fit and it appears they know it. This is why the Eagles continue to stall.

They’re hoping Chicago or somebody else can beat Indy’s offer.

It appears Pace isn’t willing to oblige. Much to the relief of Bears fans. Perhaps everything could flip upside down and Wentz comes to Chicago in the end. However, all signs point to him eventually ending up with the Colts. It’s just a matter of when and for how much.

Archived