Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: What number will Wentz wear? (merge)

chrisbeldridge

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

- I am glad that M.Pittman took a stand in wanting the 11 number

- I am glad that Wentz was cool about it

BUT

IMO, the ultimate decision belongs with the Colts management, namely Ballard/Irsay BECAUSE:

1- The Team assigns the number. They can also change the assigned numbers like they recently did last year.

2- There maybe contractual obligations in the original Philadelphia contract with Carson that this number be permanently assigned to Carson Wentz.  Contracts can be altered so it is not a show stopper.

3- Number 11 with Wentz is a marketing brand which may have value in the eyes of the Colts marketing.

Historically speaking, HOF QB's have changed jersey number when they moved on from their original team:  Joe Montana was #16 (49ers)  then #19 (KC),  Unitas was #19 (Colts) then #16 (Chargers)

If Carson changes number and becomes a HOF with the Colts, then that is the number that will be retired in the HOF. 

Unitas wore #19 for the Chargers.

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

- I am glad that M.Pittman took a stand in wanting the 11 number

- I am glad that Wentz was cool about it

BUT

IMO, the ultimate decision belongs with the Colts management, namely Ballard/Irsay BECAUSE:

1- The Team assigns the number. They can also change the assigned numbers like they recently did last year.

2- There maybe contractual obligations in the original Philadelphia contract with Carson that this number be permanently assigned to Carson Wentz.  Contracts can be altered so it is not a show stopper.

3- Number 11 with Wentz is a marketing brand which may have value in the eyes of the Colts marketing.

Historically speaking, HOF QB's have changed jersey number when they moved on from their original team:  Joe Montana was #16 (49ers)  then #19 (KC),  Unitas was #19 (Colts) then #16 (Chargers)

If Carson changes number and becomes a HOF with the Colts, then that is the number that will be retired in the HOF. 

Merged.

• Superman changed the title to Update: What number will Wentz wear? (merge)
58 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I wouldn't call it weird at all. Pittman took the #11 and now owns it.

Some people can't be bought and it seems Pittman is one of those guys. 

I'm just saying usually the younger less accomplished guy would defer to the vet.  That is what I mean by wierd in this case.  Unusual.

It's not a judgement on either guy.  It's just an observation. 

I hope Wentz was like man I don't care about the number.  That is a great way to ingratiate himself to the new team.  At the same time, I'd hope Pitt would also have some leeway, like Dude I'd really like to keep the number, but understand if you want it.

And giving a number to a vet is not the same as selling yourself IMO.

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hope Wentz was like man I don't care about the number.  That is a great way to ingratiate himself to the new team.  At the same time, I'd hope Pitt would also have some leeway, like Dude I'd really like to keep the number, but understand if you want it.

There's a precedent for this. If a new player is interested in swapping numbers, they reach out and discuss it. Usually there's an exchange of some kind. I wouldn't think any player would just say 'yeah, you can have my number,' unless he wanted to change his number anyway. You negotiate.

In 2019, we signed Justin Houston, who wore #50 in KC. Anthony Walker wore #50 at the time, so Houston picked #99. Then in 2020, we traded for Deforest Buckner, who wore #99 in SF. Walker switched to #54, Houston switched to #50, Buckner took #99. Apparently, there was some kind of deal between the three players.

Pittman's version of the story is Wentz asked, Pittman said he wanted to keep #11, Wentz said 'that's cool.' Then they moved on.

If it were more important to Wentz, I would think he would have offered something to Pittman. Apparently, he did not. 

IMO, this is really overblown. Even the potential for it to be an issue is overblown. Two grown men had a conversation that apparently went well, and reached an agreement. There is zero indication that either of them has negative feelings about it. 

We can speculate all we want, but people are really latching on to this as if it's a thing, when apparently it's not a thing at all.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's a precedent for this. If a new player is interested in swapping numbers, they reach out and discuss it. Usually there's an exchange of some kind. I wouldn't think any player would just say 'yeah, you can have my number,' unless he wanted to change his number anyway. You negotiate.

In 2019, we signed Justin Houston, who wore #50 in KC. Anthony Walker wore #50 at the time, so Houston picked #99. Then in 2020, we traded for Deforest Buckner, who wore #99 in SF. Walker switched to #54, Houston switched to #50, Buckner took #99. Apparently, there was some kind of deal between the three players.

Pittman's version of the story is Wentz asked, Pittman said he wanted to keep #11, Wentz said 'that's cool.' Then they moved on.

If it were more important to Wentz, I would think he would have offered something to Pittman. Apparently, he did not. 

IMO, this is really overblown. Even the potential for it to be an issue is overblown. Two grown men had a conversation that apparently went well, and reached an agreement. There is zero indication that either of them has negative feelings about it. 

We can speculate all we want, but people are really latching on to this as if it's a thing, when apparently it's not a thing at all.

It's just unusual that's all.    I honestly think people are making too much of people making too much of it.

Can you think of any other case when an incoming vet 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

How paradoxical is that?

Not really.

Can you  cite an example when a Vet highly paid QB came in to be the starter and was not offered his old number? 

I'll answer that for you.

No you can't.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Can you  cite an example when a Vet highly paid QB came in to be the starter and was not offered his old number? 

I'll answer that for you.

No you can't.

This is textbook. Shrink the parameters so narrowly that there's no possible way to offer an alternative. Well done.

Let me ask you this: When has a highly paid veteran QB been traded at/around 28 years old, to a team where his number was already worn by another player?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

This is textbook. Shrink the parameters so narrowly that there's no possible way to offer an alternative. Well done.

Let me ask you this: When has a highly paid veteran QB been traded at/around 28 years old, to a team where his number was already worn by another player?

Jeebus SUPERMAN.  I really don't understand your angle here.  

Here is the first definition I came to on the internet of usual.

usual-habitually or typically occurring or done; customary.

You are going to actually disagree that starting QBs that get traded to teams are usally customarily offered their old number?

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/24/indianapolis-colts-michael-pittman-carson-wentz-tennessee-titans-a-j-brown/

Here's an article today from a WR vastly more accomplished than Pittman that tends to raise an eyebrow at this too.

Now I don't know if you've been in this thread for a while.  I haven't been on the forum much, and I simply said in about the 4th post of a thread that I thought it was unusual.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

It’s also not true, even with the Colts.  Jim Harbaugh wore number 12 his first year in Indy when he was signed to become the starting QB from the Bears before changing to his normal number 4 the following season because Dean Biasucci already had number 4 when Harbaugh got to Indy and left after 1994 in free agency.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s also not true, even with the Colts.  Jim Harbaugh wore number 12 his first year in Indy when he was signed to become the starting QB from the Bears before changing to his normal number 4 the following season because Dean Biasucci already had number 4 when Harbaugh got to Indy and left after 1994 in free agency.

Did Dean offer the number to Harbaugh? harbabuth BTW was signed for 700 Grand which was very low even in those days for a starter.  

25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Jeebus SUPERMAN.  I really don't understand your angle here.  

Here is the first definition I came to on the internet of usual.

usual-habitually or typically occurring or done; customary.

You are going to actually disagree that starting QBs that get traded to teams are usally customarily offered their old number?

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/24/indianapolis-colts-michael-pittman-carson-wentz-tennessee-titans-a-j-brown/

Here's an article today from a WR vastly more accomplished than Pittman that tends to raise an eyebrow at this too.

Now I don't know if you've been in this thread for a while.  I haven't been on the forum much, and I simply said in about the 4th post of a thread that I thought it was unusual.

It's not unusual for a player to switch numbers when he joins a new team.

If you shrink the parameters to only include veteran QBs who were previously MVP candidates on former SB teams, who are traded between the ages of 27 and 29 to a team where their previous number is already in use, who have more than three years left on their contract, were born in North Carolina but didn't attend a D1 college, then yeah, it's only happened to Carson Wentz. How rare!

This is called cherry picking.

Also, you didn't "simply" say it was unusual. You said more than that. And just like everyone else, you're entitled to your opinion, and you've stated that opinion. Now that I'm stating my disagreement with that opinion, you're acting like you don't really care. Instead, the problem is that I care about how much you care, and if I didn't care so much about how you care, the amount you care wouldn't be an issue. Have your opinion, state your opinion; don't be surprised when someone who disagrees decides to respond. 

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not unusual for a player to switch numbers when he joins a new team.

If you shrink the parameters to only include veteran QBs who were previously MVP candidates on former SB teams, who are traded between the ages of 27 and 29 to a team where their previous number is already in use, who have more than three years left on their contract, were born in North Carolina but didn't attend a D1 college, then yeah, it's only happened to Carson Wentz. How rare!

This is called cherry picking.

Also, you didn't "simply" say it was unusual. You said more than that. And just like everyone else, you're entitled to your opinion, and you've stated that opinion. Now that I'm stating my disagreement with that opinion, you're acting like you don't really care. Instead, the problem is that I care about how much you care, and if I didn't care so much about how you care, the amount you care wouldn't be an issue. Have your opinion, state your opinion; don't be surprised when someone who disagrees decides to respond. 

OK Supe.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Calm and rational thought?  Your asking a lot lol.

Colts fans are pretty good at that as far as I've been around compared to other sports teams I've followed. Let's just say if this same situation happened in another fanbase, they would've been far more toxic about it.

I'm very much willing to bet nonsense like this is what Philly sports radio gobbled up and regurgitated to eventually make Carson out to be this 'horrible' teammate.

6 hours ago, coltsva said:

I'd prefer Wentz not even ask for it. Let Pittman offer it. If Pitt doesn't offer it up, don't bring it up and pick another number.

Asking isn't a big deal.  In life, it's only ever unwise to ask a question that, deep down, you dont want to know the answer to.  Wentz asked Pitt said no, I suspect both parties have moved on.

Archived